Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate is boring

ChristofferC

Magister
Ranged combat is even more op in the BG engine because elemental arrows cause stupid amounts of damage.

Quilty

Magister
Mage duels were the coolest part of BG2, and I thought the dungeons were okay, especially the ones you couldn't finish in one go but had to return to when you were powerful enough to beat some of the high level monsters (the unseeing eye dungeon, IIRC).

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Ed123 said:
IM ACTULLY JOKIENG ADN TROLLING GUIS IM NOT REAALY RETRADED!!!!

Yes, we heard if before.

Now maybe you're gonna tell us that you didn't really mean the BG2 combat is the best ever and you were just joking?

And yes, of course BG2 has nothing like Hommlett, Bioware would never be able to have so many intertwined quests without having the brains of their players explode.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
FeelTheRads said:
Ed123 said:

So, again, how are fetch quests an argument against the tactical combat? Would you care to explain that or will you just continue with the retardation?

You said BG2 has the best tactical combat (which is completely retarded on its own and shows you have no idea what you're talking about), then someone said ToEE is better at that to which you replied "BUTH TOEE HAS FECHT QUESATS!!!!!"
It's because some genius thought that it's a good idea to have the player grind the fetch quests to get decent chances in tactical combat before getting to the real thing. It can be bypassed by not making a party and recruiting NPCs instead, though. Sadly it's rather non-obvious.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
You know what I thought was boring? PS:T. All it was was talk, talk, talk. Probably why I never got out of the mortuary.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Duckard said:
Exmit said:
And I have a question: what differentiates BG combat from BGII combat?

Bigger and better spell selection at mid-high levels. And all classes get some special abilities at higher levels (though you need TOB for those IIRC). BG1's lack of options was downright painful.

kmonster

Augur
I got bored of BG about the same time as you (chapter4).
I took a break and played a better game (Might and Magic 7) instead. Maybe you should do this too.
When you've forgotten your boredom after a few months you can return to BG, I recommend downloading a map from BG city before starting chapter 5, if you play the game without help from the internet like you were supposed to you'll get bored again and waste even more time.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Some people found BG boring, others didn't. Fascinating and refreshing piece of news. Totally unheard of. It definitely changed my views on the game.
I used to love it, but seeing how it's a RTwP popamole D&D shit that singlehandedly caused the decline, I hate it now. I'm so enlightened, I'm going to play Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Alpha Protocol or Fallout 3. :roll:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ed123 said:
Mastermind said:
Duckard said:
Exmit said:
And I have a question: what differentiates BG combat from BGII combat?

Bigger and better spell selection at mid-high levels. And all classes get some special abilities at higher levels (though you need TOB for those IIRC). BG1's lack of options was downright painful.

The options for warriors or mages? Obviously the mages don't match anything in BG2, but I did like the fact that BG1's emphasis on low-level combat against animals and humanoids meant that spells like sleep/confusion can actually be pretty destructive.

Both. Though tbh i haven't played bg1 in ages and vanilla bg2's warriors aren't much better than bg1's. the introduction of kits does add some variation though.

Quilty

Magister
Regarding boring RPG games:

So tell me, since I played NWN2 OC so long ago and I don't remember it any more (I think I quit halfway through), does it get even slightly better as you play? Does the writing improve at all? Just enough to justify a playthrough so I can port the character to MOTB and finally finish it?

Because god damn this has been one boring experience so far.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
You're better off creating a new char for MoTB, else you might be so fed up with the engine you won't even start it.

Zomg

Arbiter
BG1 is as bad as a bad Goldbox game dudes, and some of them were pretty bad

BG2 is less bad

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Quilty said:
So tell me, since I played NWN2 OC so long ago and I don't remember it any more (I think I quit halfway through), does it get even slightly better as you play? Does the writing improve at all? Just enough to justify a playthrough so I can port the character to MOTB and finally finish it?
It gets worse actually (last dungeon is just bad), writing doesn't improve, just create a new character for MOTB because that one is definitely worth playing.

DraQ said:
Bladder's Gate is maybe slightly better than oblivious.
Oh come on, BG is incomparably better.

Quilty

Magister
Thanks, guys. It's a shame NWN2 is so poorly written. I mean, it pales even in comparison with IWD1/2, games that had the flimsiest of plots and yet managed to have pretty good writing. NWN2 has this huge, "epic" plot that doesn't seem to go anywhere interesting. If only the dungeon crawling was good, I'd keep going, but I guess there's no point.

And now the game's started throwing a fit because I have a version of graphic card drivers it can't run on. Stellar optimization.

MOTB it is, then!

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
To be honest, I have found reading Forgotten Realms novels (most of which are pretty mediocre) much more enjoyable than playing BG. At least they don't have the "fascinating" "watch character attacking on auto-pilot" gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom