Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate is boring

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Baldur's Gate is a masterpiece. You're just not smart enough to appreciate it.

DraQ

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Duckard said:
So I'm playing Baldur's Gate and I'm finding it boring. It's full of filler combat and the only strategy is to keep close range fighters in close range and long range fighters in long range. The story doesn't seem particularly interesting, I'm at the part before heading into Baldur's Gate.

What the hell? I thought I could trust you guys, but I guess I was wrong. Now I don't know what to believe in.

Recommendation: The Elder Turds: Oblibian
But oblivious is even more boring.

:smug:

Stil, I'm currently attempting to finish BG1 in order to port my char to BG2 - if you relax and don't try to think much about what you're doing (which is obviously :decline: and popamole) it's even a little bit enjoyable.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I started with BG2. It was my first CRPG, actually, got it free through some game magazine online shop subscription thing that surprisingly wasn't a scam. I didn't really get it. It was damn pretty, I could appreciate that, and at first I thought I just wasn't deep enough to understand its depths. Then I got Morrowind, which provided way better exploration and atmosphere. Then I got Fallout, which provided much better C&C and worldbuilding. Then I got Planescape, which provided much better story and dialogue. Quite a way down the line, I got Wizardry 8 and its ilk, which provided much, much better combat and dungeon crawling. At this point, I stopped my yearly attempts to replay BG2 and not get bored by the end of chapter 2 (finished it once), because I realised it just wasn't really that great.

I know it's not fair to compare each of its components to the greats of the genre or whatever, but it just felt to me like nothing in BG2 really stood out. The dialogue was average, the combat was bland, the story was okay, the exploration was meh, the dungeons were mostly uninspired, the atmosphere varied between "pretty good" to "okay I'm bored watching my sprites shuffle across a jpeg now". It just added up to a pretty boring game. That said, it has its merits and it's worth a playthrough.

ChristofferC

Magister
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
I started with BG2. It was my first CRPG, actually, got it free through some game magazine online shop subscription thing that surprisingly wasn't a scam. I didn't really get it. It was damn pretty, I could appreciate that, and at first I thought I just wasn't deep enough to understand its depths. Then I got Morrowind, which provided way better exploration and atmosphere. Then I got Fallout, which provided much better C&C and worldbuilding. Then I got Planescape, which provided much better story and dialogue. Quite a way down the line, I got Wizardry 8 and its ilk, which provided much, much better combat and dungeon crawling. At this point, I stopped my yearly attempts to replay BG2 and not get bored by the end of chapter 2 (finished it once), because I realised it just wasn't really that great.

I know it's not fair to compare each of its components to the greats of the genre or whatever, but it just felt to me like nothing in BG2 really stood out. The dialogue was average, the combat was bland, the story was okay, the exploration was meh, the dungeons were mostly uninspired, the atmosphere varied between "pretty good" to "okay I'm bored watching my sprites shuffle across a jpeg now". It just added up to a pretty boring game. That said, it has its merits and it's worth a playthrough.
How can you conclude all this if you never got past chapter 2?

And there's nothing wrong with BG1. It's not my favourite game but it aint bad. It gets better if you install sword coast stratagems and some other mods.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
ChristofferC said:
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:

How can you conclude all this if you never got past chapter 2?

Hmmm
By "it" I meant the game

Duckard

Augur
Alright, after playing some more I ran into this quest where I got poisoned and have to find a cure within some time. It didn't take very long, but I thought it was a pretty good quest.

I also did the ice island and werewolf island parts of the expansion pack. They were more interesting than the main quests, so that's nice. Except, they were a lot harder- Werewolves make Wyverns look like bitches.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Duckard said:
So I'm playing Baldur's Gate and I'm finding it boring.
Not only you :love: . It was a massive :decline: after Fallout.

Duckard said:
It's full of filler combat and the only strategy is to keep close range fighters in close range and long range fighters in long range.
It's a tactic, not a strategy.

Duckard said:
What the hell? I thought I could trust you guys, but I guess I was wrong. Now I don't know what to believe in.
You trusted the wrong Codexers. Did you really think that "Biowhore" is a new thing? Haven't you heard about "Inbred Engine"?

Duckard said:
Alright, after playing some more I ran into this quest where I got poisoned and have to find a cure within some time. It didn't take very long, but I thought it was a pretty good quest.

I also did the ice island and werewolf island parts of the expansion pack. They were more interesting than the main quests, so that's nice. Except, they were a lot harder- Werewolves make Wyverns look like bitches.

sup drog don't forget to do Durlag's Tower, best dungeon hands down.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
DraQ said:
Stil, I'm currently attempting to finish BG1 in order to port my char to BG2 - if you relax and don't try to think much about what you're doing (which is obviously :decline: and popamole) it's even a little bit enjoyable.
ToSC has a few cool dungeons. Other than that BG1's purpose is to kill Drizzt and loot his stuff without cheating. Are you a bad enough dude? The other purpose is to read all the stat books.

I'm finishing my second run thru Divinity 2 right now, 7 months after quitting that playthru. My realtime popamole skills diminished over the last few months but I'm getting the hang of it again. One flying fortress to go. Then I'll start Flames of Vengeance and will post some impressions.

Exmit

Scholar
3 pages on a troll thread already , half-win for him so far.

codex i am dissapoint
:rpgcodex:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Ed123 said:

So, again, how are fetch quests an argument against the tactical combat? Would you care to explain that or will you just continue with the retardation?

You said BG2 has the best tactical combat (which is completely retarded on its own and shows you have no idea what you're talking about), then someone said ToEE is better at that to which you replied "BUTH TOEE HAS FECHT QUESATS!!!!!"

:retarded:

Duckard

Augur
Exmit said:
3 pages on a troll thread already , half-win for him so far.

codex i am dissapoint
:rpgcodex:

This is not a troll thread and I'm not drog.

And I have a question: what differentiates BG combat from BGII combat? Because I'm playing using Tutu and the combat is still damn boring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom