Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Compilation - Extras?

SmokedWolf

Scholar
My own problem with the 4 dvd package was that I got an incomapitable american version tosc with the european bg1. thanks. thanks a lot.

ksjav

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014
Barghest said:
How is BGT-weiDU? Is it a better choice then BG1TUTU nowdays?

They both do what they are supposed to, the difference is that, TUTU becomes a "standalone" BG1 game on BG2 engine, while BGT transfers the BG1 portion into BG2 for a seamless kind of game. Other than that the differences are fairly minor. It's a matter of prefence really... Also most major mods such as swordcoaststratgems or bg1npc are available for both platforms

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Barghest said:
How is BGT-weiDU? Is it a better choice then BG1TUTU nowdays?

What about the widescreen support on Baldurs Gate I/II?

General instructions do seem rather...'lacking'

It is a better choice if you want to play with as many mods as possible, as the Big World Project is designed for BGT. But most of the "big" mods for BG2 are munchinfetsts that will throw lots of cheese at you.

Barghest

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I've been planning on replaying Baldur's Gate 2 with some of the mods like G3 Tweak- and fixpacks, Banterpack, Unfinished Business etc. and Rogue Rebalancing, considering playing with assassin kit, since there is hardly any suitable default-portraits I have been browsing portraitsites and -packs...goddamn they're horrible.

Vast majority of the custom-made portraits doesn't suit rest of the art in game at all, or are just taken from covers of the books or something.

Barghest

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
The Big World mod is buggy, and the instructions are badly written. Looks like I'm going to have to install the mods it by hand again.

Any other links like http://www.teambg.org/forum/index.php/topic,32.0.html out there?

Ruprekt said:
I'm finding the banter pack rather annoying.

Unfortunately it is true to the original characterisation :(

The game feels rather empty if you don't use it.

Ogre Smash

Novice
Hey so for anyone that has played BG2 with the banter pack and/or quest pack, are these well written? I've heard the banter pack is well written, but I am just looking for confirmation about the both of them before I start another play-through.

Barghest

Augur
Patron
I don't know about BG2 but the banter in BG1 was sometimes good, sometimes awful. IIRC I was running two banter packs. They also came with some pointless quests...

Think I've worked out most of what is wrong with BiG World, but the documentation still sucks.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Barghest said:
I don't know about BG2 but the banter in BG1 was sometimes good, sometimes awful. IIRC I was running two banter packs. They also came with some pointless quests...

While you and me are probably the only 2 people here who still like BG, I liked that banter pack as well. It's got some good, and it's got some bad, but overall not to bad.

And so far, I still do not like BG in any of the complete conversion mods (TuTu or TBP), they change too much (Spells, creatures and spawning) of my beloved and precious BG experience I loved when I first played it. Even with all those horribly horribly overpowered spells in BG, that's still the charm of the game I loved. <3

:nostalgawhore:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jaesun said:
Barghest said:

While you and me are probably the only 2 people here who still like BG, I liked that banter pack as well. It's got some good, and it's got some bad, but overall not to bad.

And so far, I still do not like BG in any of the complete conversion mods (TuTu or TBP), they change too much (Spells, creatures and spawning) of my beloved and precious BG experience I loved when I first played it. Even with all those horribly horribly overpowered spells in BG, that's still the charm of the game I loved. <3

:nostalgawhore:

No, you're not alone. I still like Baldur's Gate very much. It's one of my favourite games even after so many years. And I dislike any conversions as well. Plain old vanilla Baldur's Gate + TotSC is the most enjoyable Bioware's game.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I still love the BG games too, but I can't imagine playing BG 1 without TuTu or BGT, pluss the NPC Project and Sword Coast Strategems. Without TuTu or BGT the screen is much too small and without ScS combat is too boring.
BG 2 OTOH is still playable in its vanilla form.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Barghest said:
Have to say the BiG world installer is a little intimidating. It can download a metric-fuckload of mods...

Big World is an exersise in excessive munchinism.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I installed one of those mod compilations once, pretty sure it was the big world project. It didn't have any documentation about what any of the mods did, so I ended up installing everything. Something added a section to the beginning of BG2 where you go through your life in Candlekeep as kid and milk cows and shit. Over and over, for about an hour and half. I uninstalled the mod compilation and never looked back.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Xor said:
Something added a section to the beginning of BG2 where you go through your life in Candlekeep as kid and milk cows and shit. Over and over, for about an hour and half. I uninstalled the mod compilation and never looked back.

:lol:

Hegel

Arcane
The Codex is so lazy nowadays.

Google ShS Studios, enter the forum, find the BGII big mod subsection and download the BWP installer + PDF.
Follow the instructions on the PDF, be ready to download about 18 GB of stuff (the installer will take care of it), install the tactical or the expert version (I'm running this minus the asian mods, DITCH THESE, they will corrupt the Slums). You'll need about a day (depends from your configuration) and 30GB.
Enjoy.
BWP is pretty good, just learn to read the stupid PDF, this way you will know exactly what you're going to install.
The cow milking mod is an optional content of CtB, maybe you could have read the ingame dialogues, especially when Gorion tells you CAN SKIP THE BORING TASKS. FFS.

Here's the link. Grab the latest version. http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?app=downloads&showcat=72 :smug:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Big World would be cool if most of those mods were actually worth installing. 30gb where maybe only 10% of it is actually worth playing through? Thanks, but no thanks.

I'm now resorting to mod the game manually, so here's what i'm doing so far. First, i'm going to avoid BG Trilogy since i heard its buggy and the idea doesn't really seem worth it. I mean, ho goodie, you get to jump from BG1 directly into BG2, rather then quit the game and import the file in the other. Big fucking difference.

Now, first thing, after installing both BG1, i run the Baldurdash fixes before doing anything else (for original BG1, which i like to keep around alongside TuTu). For some reason if i install TuTu and then try to run the Baldurdash files it won't find the game (even though TuTu doesn't touch the original BG1 folder. Go figure).

Next, install TuTu, then get the TuTuGUI v18 mod, which changes the interface back to the one from BG1 (a must IMHO), and then if you want get the Widescreen mod (this needs to be installed after the GUI mod).

After that, get TuTufix v18, then run the tweak pack, one for BG1, and the one for BG2, which works for TuTu as well (the BG2 fixpak is not for TuTu). After that install Tutusounds (restored original BG1 casting sounds), One Pixel Productions (restores graphical components), plus the Easy Spawn Randomizer, which adds monster randomization and respawn, which were not in TuTu. Finally, i run D0Tweak (several balancing tweaks) DEFJAM_v6 (which lowers the amount of XP, useful if you start adding quest packs), the Hard Times mod (which reduces the amount of magical items through out the game, thus balancing things around) and the Unfinished Business, which is probably the safest content mod out there.

At this point i just make a backup of everything, and now this is where i'm lost. From perusing the forum here, i gathered the following:

Sword Coast Stratagems is the best difficulty mod.

Ascension is a must have.

Solafen NPC isn't bad (all other NPC packs appear to be shitty. There's a pack to bring back Kivan in BG2, i wonder if that's shitty too).

All of the following are supposedly also worth looking into:

DOQuest pack
Tower of Deception
Banter Pack
IEP Banter
Turnabout
The Longer Road
Desecration of Souls
Wheels of Prophecy
Tortured Souls
Check the Bodies
Neverending Journey
Reign of Terror
Classic Adventures (total conversion)

That's pretty much all i have. If anybody has any more recommendations, feel free to pinch in.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I couldn't install Tutu in Windows 7 64. So I resorted to the following (in this order):

-widescreen mod + gui mod
-Baldurdash
-unfinished business
-BG mini quest extender.

Things seem to work fine. I'd prefer to have the "show clickable stuff" option available, but I'll live without it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom