Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

Yosharian

Arcane
feat balance is all over the place, and so is class balance.
Which is actually a good thing, compared to the "balanced to death" Pillars of Eternity system.
Neither are good. Tavern Brawler being so good that any character who takes it starts pulling the weight of 2-3 characters, is not good for game design.

I'm not arguing for POE.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Difficulty of this game is such that using consumables (special ammo/potions/elixirs/scrolls) feels like cheesing instead of required.
Using almost anything is cheesy in this game. At least half of the items don't work as intended or are ridiculously OP, the feat balance is all over the place, and so is class balance.

This wouldn't be so bad if the hardest difficulty actually presented a reasonable challenge

Games in general these days are piss easy even on the hardest difficulty, presumably so that console players and other mentally retarded people don't feel insulted when they can't win
I guess. I've got a minigame going where I try to prevent the enemy from getting a chance to use any consumables so I can loot and use them myself so that's an added layer of challenge since I guess they couldn't punish me even if they got a turn.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Difficulty of this game is such that using consumables (special ammo/potions/elixirs/scrolls) feels like cheesing instead of required.
Using almost anything is cheesy in this game. At least half of the items don't work as intended or are ridiculously OP, the feat balance is all over the place, and so is class balance.

This wouldn't be so bad if the hardest difficulty actually presented a reasonable challenge

Games in general these days are piss easy even on the hardest difficulty, presumably so that console players and other mentally retarded people don't feel insulted when they can't win
You're one of those no fun allowed people aren't you?

abija

Prophet
He's arguing hardest difficulty should be... *gasp*... hard. That means fun for more people. TB combat where you don't even have to engage your brain is the opposite of fun.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Yosharian is right in thinking that consumables feel like cheating. Look at solasta. There you had a single slot in inventory, only that was available during combat. And it required an action.
In bg3 everything is fair game. And besides scrolls most is extra action.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
He's arguing hardest difficulty should be... *gasp*... hard. That means fun for more people. TB combat where you don't even have to engage your brain is the opposite of fun.
Looking at places outside the Dex, the average player is already incapable of beating Balanced.

Desiderius

Patron
If you're not familiar with Nahuelabeck and reload whenever any of your dudes is downed I can see where it could feel hardish at least up to level five and past that if you're underleveled.

Until we break down specific fights and strategies this is all speculation/posturing.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Did anyone use the boots that electrify water in combination with the ring that makes you immune to being electrocuted? Seems like a decent strategy if you also have the Rain Staff (one use per short rest) or other easy way to create water.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Did anyone use the boots that electrify water in combination with the ring that makes you immune to being electrocuted? Seems like a decent strategy if you also have the Rain Staff (one use per short rest) or other easy way to create water.
was eyeing random strategies like that but... in the end thats a lot of setup when you can win by stacking dmg instead.

Tried to go crazy on reverberation once. Not worth it.
One thing I never tried in the end was shar spear, along with other dark supporting items. Apparently weapon blessing applies also to ranged attacks.
Shar spear, baal armor + dual hand xbows on blade bard sounds like ultimate cheese. Nearly untouchable + highest dmg potential?

Desiderius

Patron
Yeah it's ok but at the end of the day all the Electricity stuff doesn't do a ton. It's a fun and balanced minigame once you get the Shield. Looks like decent support for a Monk to do it too.

Rain Staff is bad because of the range (and other better Staves). Just apply Wet condition/puddles by throwing Water containers. If you want to really go off you can let your Mage Hand do it.

If you're playing melee Wyll then Wet condition doubles his Cold Damage from Armor of Agathis and you can use the the Cold Staff and Gloves from Underdark on Gale to give him a good baseline action econ with Ray of Frost once damage doubles at lvl 5 since it also debuffs saves.

Wet + Witch Bolt remains a solid source of damage throughout the game due to upcasting d12 base and auto-reapply. Initial attack from Stealth/High Ground.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hmm, seems like Warlock / martial Extra Attack stacking is a go...

So maybe Warlock 7 / Fighter 5 after all...

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Oh my...
Starting conditions, I got:
hmtIbTm.png

26ozC0c.png

Shooting Ice Arrow
Ru0kfnT.png

Numbers seem off
gmzSl1X.png

z0N4Ksq.png

othKIYD.png

Thrice dipping Titan String property on arrow elemental damage, bow damage and sneak attack damage

And they say that Owlcat cant code.

Desiderius

Patron
Oh my...
Starting conditions, I got:
hmtIbTm.png

26ozC0c.png

Shooting Ice Arrow
Ru0kfnT.png

Numbers seem off
gmzSl1X.png

z0N4Ksq.png

othKIYD.png

Thrice dipping Titan String property on arrow elemental damage, bow damage and sneak attack damage

And they say that Owlcat cant code.
Save on Elemental Arrow is only 12 DEX tho. Animated Armor is about only thing they're got a good chance of triggering on without set-up.

Daidre

Arcane
Save on Elemental Arrow is only 12 DEX tho. Animated Armor is about only thing they're got a good chance of triggering on without set-up.
Usually it is around 50-60%, and I have Diviner who really needs to funnel all those shitty dices into something useful.

Desiderius

Patron
Diviner’s pretty boring.

Illusionist swift Minor Illusion is probably my favorite, but several of the other schools are fun too. Hypnotic Gaze can even be used in dialogue.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
I am a bit confused about throwing damage. Is the damage based on the weapon damage dice or not? Initially I thought it was, as I threw weapons at close range at enemies, but in the last combat I tossed weapons from an elevated position over a longer range and it did barely any damage, instead it knocked enemies down. Does someone know how exactly damage is calculated, and how enemies get knocked prone by throwing attacks? The objects were all regular weapons, I think a greatsword, dagger, axe and halberd.

Daidre

Arcane
It depends on Thrown property on the weapon - daggers, spears, handaxes etc to their weapon damage + STR on throw (there is even Pike with this property), everything else using generic rules, where damage depend on height and weight, but it starts from 1d4. Tavern Brawler should add STR to generic trash throwing but it is bugged.

Whole thing is bugged hellishly, tbh. I saw how my Returning Thrown Pike does BOTH weapon damage and its 1d4 from weight when thrown from big enough height. And fails to return from time to time...

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I am a bit confused about throwing damage
yay, my throwing experience comes into play.

i dont know
some weapons are tagged with throwing, those deal dmg dice same as weapon(for versatile always one handed).
At one point returning pike stopped being throwing weapon and it started to deal less dmg?
With non throwing wpn... no idea, likely some fixed die regardless of weight. Unless there is elevation difference, then you finally get bonuses from weight(throwing wpns get those too)

how enemies get knocked prone by throwing attacks?
are you sure it wasnt barbarian throw? Anyway it can happen only if there is elevation involved AND some heavier weight(I think).
Weight and related subjects are weird, possibly buggy. Or just convoluted and not logical.
Like if enemy is standing, you can jump from elevation and it will not do a thing. If enemy is prone -> you will deal dmg.

Vibalist

Arcane
Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I'm wondering if anyone else finds the ability Split Enchantment useless.

I am playing as an enchanter wizard, and at level 10 you gain this ability, which allows you to cast single target enchantment spells on two targets. For instance, Dominate Person now works on two humanoids instead of one.

This seems powerful until you realize that with the way concentration works in this game (the next concentration spell breaks the current one), the spell immediately stops working on one of those two targets the moment you cast it. The ability is only useful for the small handful of weak, low level enchantment spells that don't rely on concentration.

Is this some sort of bug/oversight or intentional?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
anyone else finds the ability Split Enchantment useless.
the only way to make it work, that I see, is to splash at least 1lvl of bard? Then you get mockery cantrip and dissonant whispers. Is it worth it? Not really...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom