Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Can you reach the Shar temple in the Grymforge area in act 1? Its clearly visible when exploring, but my attempts to get there were futile so far.

Do you mean the Shar temple you can theoretically reach via the elevator up some steps, fairly close to the boat entry point? IIRC there's a quest you need to do to be able to use that elevator (or maybe you just have to kill or distract the two guys guarding it, can't remember). It's not the Shar temple though (where you do Shadowheart's quest etc., that one is reached via the Mausoleum in the far north west of the shadowlands), just an abandoned tiddler. There's another small Shar temple in the shadowlands too that you can get to via perception check in the west somewhere, that's not the big one either.

I mean the temple that you can see when you explore around the Adamantium Forge area or behind the poisoned area where Nere was trapped.

Yeah the game's kind of weirdly misleading about that. The only way of reaching the Shar Temple is via the Mausoleum in the North West of the Shadowlands map in Act 2. I'm not even sure that what you glimpse from Grymforge is that temple, as it's on the other side of the world map for that area - but that temple is huge so I guess it could be, and was probably intended to be, at least at some point.

I think there's some misleading stuff left over from previous versions of the storyline (like maybe at one time it was possible to reach "the" temple via Grymforge, and they didn't get rid of all the implications that it is, after they decided that it isn't), possibly from things Halsin says (his quest stuff still seems a bit messed up, like I've got an item hanging over in my quest log that says I failed at x with him and he's gone, yet he's been toddling along in the camp with me and is still with me in Act 3).

I missed being frustrated by this because I just stupidly assumed that the "temple" you reach via the elevator was the temple in question (that you'd be going up-and-over-and-down somehow) whereas it's just a small outpost temple that leads up into the Shadowlands for Act 2.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
If you keep Elixirs up at all times I've found that to be a good way of discouraging too much rest/rewarding Bard's extra Short Rest.

Elixirs and Oils and buying reagents also do a decent job of giving me something to do with my gold.

Desiderius

Patron
The Goad ability from Beast Master Bear companion says it's forced attack but in reality it looks like the Battlemaster/Paladin "Disadvantage against everything but the Bear." Nice combo with Bane from a Lore Bard to protect the Bard and get it to stick. Mobs will still try to attack character maintaining Concentration but do so at Disadvantage and debuffed by Bane.

Bear companion Goad ability.jpg

Pet abilities are infinite use so handy for conserving resources when trying to stretch out rests.

Poor Gale.jpg

Gotta feel for old Gale here. And he tries so hard!

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I am turning everyone into long range snipers like my ranger, though Karlach still fights mostly with blade (the bear half-damage rage is by far the best one).

Other than healing, SH is best for her extra spells Sanctuary (when someone is near death) and the weapon summon.

Overall, spellcasters seem nerfed compared to the unlimited melee and range attacks. Though I suppose there is enough food to rest often. SH is my only spellcaster.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Spellcasting is insane in this game
most things are. So far im strolling through baldurs gate without resting. It... became this way as I got anxious which quests are timed and which are not. From major fights: devil, auntie and vampire are done. Vampire one was funny, I couldnt throw him far but I managed to chain roaring arrows to push him off the ledge quickly

Yosharian

Arcane
most things are. So far im strolling through baldurs gate without resting. It... became this way as I got anxious which quests are timed and which are not. From major fights: devil, auntie and vampire are done. Vampire one was funny, I couldnt throw him far but I managed to chain roaring arrows to push him off the ledge quickly
Act 3 requires mods to keep any semblance of challenge I think

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Act 3 requires mods to keep any semblance of challenge I think
a3 got more problems. Its like completly different game. a1 and a2 got this ballance of small settlements, wilderness explorations and combat.
In a3 suddenly you are to enter every single door and it just drags. On top of that yeah, fights are no longer challenging and there is no progression since everyone is max lvl anyway

Bigfass

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah the game's kind of weirdly misleading about that. The only way of reaching the Shar Temple is via the Mausoleum in the North West of the Shadowlands map in Act 2. I'm not even sure that what you glimpse from Grymforge is that temple, as it's on the other side of the world map for that area - but that temple is huge so I guess it could be, and was probably intended to be, at least at some point.
I had to ask a friend about accessing that temple before I felt it was OK to move on from that area. So yeah it's kind of silly; there's a quest goal to get there, there's a bridge to take you there; unfortunately you find said bridge broken. Obviously you need to find a way around, but the game does not tell you that the detour is very significant and the quest just got recheduled to the end of the next act.

Overall, spellcasters seem nerfed compared to the unlimited melee and range attacks. Though I suppose there is enough food to rest often. SH is my only spellcaster.

Yeah once the high level spell slots are expended and you have ran out of scrolls, casters are dead weight in the party. You can swap them out for another caster though with how easy it is to access camp, even if you don't want to rest just yet.

Vampire one was funny, I couldnt throw him far but I managed to chain roaring arrows to push him off the ledge quickly

Not much into the whole looting aspect of the game then?

3 got more problems. Its like completly different game. a1 and a2 got this ballance of small settlements, wilderness explorations and combat.
In a3 suddenly you are to enter every single door and it just drags. On top of that yeah, fights are no longer challenging and there is no progression since everyone is max lvl anyway
My biggest pet peeve with act 3 is the sheer tedium of talking to everyone. So many named NPCs, and they all have a line or two of dialog for you, and some of them will have a quest, or progress an existing one, possibly only if you have the right companion in the party.

I think most of the named NPC banter is fun (with the exception of the whole "refugees good, citizens bad" narrative, can you tell this is an EU game from the 2020s?) and adds depth to the game, like when you kill a guard at the Foundry, you'll remember that you talked to his parents at the inn who were celebrating him getting that job. It's great stuff but why can't you tell at a glance who's important to talk to and who's just there to provide fluff?

Oh and if you talk to the wrong person or read the wrong poster on a wall; congratulations, you're now on a timed quest, and it may or may not be clear to you that you are. Converesely, sometimes when you're told you need to hurry, you can literally spend a tenday just eating and sleeping at the inn with no consequences.

You can tell that they didn't have time to finish Act 3 properly. It's Larian though, and at least it's not as fucked up as the final chapter of DOS2 was. They somehow had time to make sure your character can respond with "Baldur's Gate is the most diverse city ever and diversity is our strength" please kill me now thanks.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Not much into the whole looting aspect of the game then?
in this case vampire is a bro and comes back into the coffin for a cut scene afterwards

Number of times chasm can be used is limited, very few instances when you actually care about the loot

Bigfass

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah once the high level spell slots are expended and you have ran out of scrolls, casters are dead weight in the party.
That is not the case. Play better.
IDK bro, the guys with swords will easily do 100 damage per turn; more if they crit. Your caster can do this if he lands a maxroll Disintegrate, and then what.

The only somewhat-reusable casters are clerics with a Spirit Guardian aura and 3+ levels of Thief so they can run around and tag everyone. But it's cheesy AF and only works due to the spell being badly coded.

Unless you're willing to share your secrets. No? I thought so.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
a3 is beautiful. Started paying attention to enemy lvls. In shar temple you fight dudes under 8lvl.
House next door got ghosts that are even lower.
Both locations are as far away from entrance as it gets, no way to get there and not be capped i think? Did they design end game city with lower lvl cap?

Desiderius

Patron
Yeah once the high level spell slots are expended and you have ran out of scrolls, casters are dead weight in the party.
Reminder this guy is still farting around in Act 1
Which is where this complaint about casters typically applies. If it isn’t true there why would it be later? I’m already drowning in stuff that gives my casters staying power and I’m barely out of Act 1.

Play better, or you’ll end up a bitter failure like Fedora Master.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
a3 is beautiful. Started paying attention to enemy lvls. In shar temple you fight dudes under 8lvl.
Both locations are as far away from entrance as it gets, no way to get there and not be capped i think? Did they design end game city with lower lvl cap?
They wanted to give the RNG lovers what they wanted while also serving the deterministic crowd. How do you like it?

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
In D&D individual levels of monsters only matter if you fight them one by one.
For encounters consisting of several creatures the effective CR (challenge rating) will be higher.
IIRC, in 3.5E fielding 2 creatures of the same level would increase ECR by 2, so 2 level 8 dudes make up a CR 10 encounter.
I never DMed 5E so can't tell the exact formula (and I'm too lazy to google it up), but I suspect the core of the balancing mechanic is the same.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
considering all the evil paths, it feels like one option is missing:
after obtaining first stone just... dont go to baldurs gate. Brain goes berserk and problem solves itself?

Yosharian

Arcane
IDK bro, the guys with swords will easily do 100 damage per turn; more if they crit. Your caster can do this if he lands a maxroll Disintegrate, and then what.

The only somewhat-reusable casters are clerics with a Spirit Guardian aura and 3+ levels of Thief so they can run around and tag everyone. But it's cheesy AF and only works due to the spell being badly coded.

Unless you're willing to share your secrets. No? I thought so.
There are Sorc builds that do 500+ DPR with Ray of Frost dude

volklore

Arcane
The house is super annoying though. It's not really a typical encounter. I think it would be a drag with higher level enemies, it's already the worst encounter in all of a3.
The Shar temple felt really well tuned with the +50 percent total health mod on tactician, was really easy getting swarmed and the constant darkness spam was really annoying. One of the only fight that had me change tactics from just zugging with martials. Entire act need to be scaled up for sure.

abija

Prophet
Pet abilities are infinite use so handy for conserving resources when trying to stretch out rests.

Careful, they have triggers when resting and can pottentially bug them if you stretch like that. Should at least go do "empty" rests after couple of big fights.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
The Shar temple felt really well tuned with the +50 percent total health mod on tactician, was really easy getting swarmed and the constant darkness spam was really annoying.
may i introduce you to my top performing spell - confusion. Was surprised that it works on steel watch too. Between that and counterspell I need no other combat spells in my party

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I am turning everyone into long range snipers like my ranger, though Karlach still fights mostly with blade (the bear half-damage rage is by far the best one).

Is it, though? I mean its the solid and reliable tank one for sure... but you do realise that all barbarians get damage resistance to all physical attacks during rage? Bear is "only" additionally insulated against elemental and magical damage.

Other totem animals get way more enticing features. Tiger, Wolf, Stag are all more interesting IMO. Even Eagle, though this one is way more situational.

I guess the problem is that the game is to easy to steamroll with martial parties.
Spellcasters certainly do have the potential to be the battlefield shaping, mass enemy controlling or summon flooding gamechangers here.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom