Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Ryzer

Arcane
Why does the "randomize appearance" option almost always create Resetera posters: purple hair, ring in the nose, makeup with a male body and sometimes vagina?
It's been 30 times I click on this button until I get an attractive character to work with, because the charactor editor is seriously deceiving me.
Why picking the gender doesn't change automatically the body type?

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Essentially, we're unintentionally beta testing content for the console version, as has often been the case.
Most people will not have played Act III by the time they have to ship a PlayStation release version.
You can't push a version and have it up in a day, like on Steam. Sony check shit, add their own stuff on top, it has to be given to them a week or more before release. And its 50+ hours to get to Act III, do normies even play 2-3 hours per day on average?

I hope the PlayStation release coincides with a PC performance patch, however.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
Were Tielfings, Githyankee, dragon people, etc even in Faerun at all in the 90s? How the F did we get this zoo in this setting all of a sudden? Explain this. Baldur's Gate IIRC was a human city. Why the hell do we need to "explore" this racial bullshit when these races weren't even around en masse in Faerun at all, according to lore?

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Were Tielfings, Githyankee, dragon people, etc even in Faerun at all in the 90s? How the F did we get this zoo in this setting all of a sudden? Explain this. Baldur's Gate IIRC was a human city.
Tieflings in Baldur's Gate is normal, there was some split, war, a city falling, etc. Complicated.
Giths, no. They are interdimensional aliens from far away. Dragonborn didn't even exist back then iirc, they came into existence more recently in the timeline.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Were Tielfings, Githyankee, dragon people, etc even in Faerun at all in the 90s? How the F did we get this zoo in this setting all of a sudden? Explain this. Baldur's Gate IIRC was a human city. Why the hell do we need to "explore" this racial bullshit when these races weren't even around en masse in Faerun at all, according to lore?

Nope, that was all added in the 2000s under Wizards.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
Were Tielfings, Githyankee, dragon people, etc even in Faerun at all in the 90s? How the F did we get this zoo in this setting all of a sudden? Explain this. Baldur's Gate IIRC was a human city.
Tieflings in Baldur's Gate is normal, there was some split, war, a city falling, etc. Complicated.
Giths, no. They are interdimensional aliens from far away. Dragonborn didn't even exist back then iirc, they came into existence more recently in the timeline.

In other words, WotC created diversity deliberately in Faerun so we could setup stories about "racism". Sounds awfully like what they're doing IRL to me. That people can't see the heavy-handed political messaging in this game is beyond ridiculous to me.

Johnny Biggums

Learned
It's because diversity is Baldur's Gate's strength now. I get it, I think we all do, it's structurally propagandistic, but that's not the whole story here. There's still a game with mechancs and C&C and a story behind it all that we can examine and enjoy.

Mortmal

Arcane
Essentially, we're unintentionally beta testing content for the console version, as has often been the case.
Most people will not have played Act III by the time they have to ship a PlayStation release version.
You can't push a version and have it up in a day, like on Steam. Sony check shit, add their own stuff on top, it has to be given to them a week or more before release. And its 50+ hours to get to Act III, do normies even play 2-3 hours per day on average?

I hope the PlayStation release coincides with a PC performance patch, however.
Around 368 individuals have managed to complete the game, with many more likely progressing through Act 3 and also potentially reporting bugs. Considering the variety of playthroughs and choices made by these players, it's still an impressive number of testers providing their input without charge....

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
lmao
Act 2 Ending Spoiler
1691856787373.png

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
In other words, WotC created diversity deliberately in Faerun so we could setup stories about "racism".
No? You could have stories about racism with just dwarfs, orcs, elves and their half-equivalents.
The devil-people, dragon-people and space lizard people were added, because its cool and fun to have more toys to play with.
I think you are letting your confirmation bias fool you here, and you are seeing your political enemies in a place where you should be seeing just a new lineup of toys being sold.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
It's because diversity is Baldur's Gate's strength now. I get it, I think we all do, it's structurally propagandistic, but that's not the whole story here. There's still a game with mechancs and C&C and a story behind it all that we can examine and enjoy.
Haven't gotten to the last part yet.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
In other words, WotC created diversity deliberately in Faerun so we could setup stories about "racism".
No? You could have stories about racism with just dwarfs, orcs, elves and their half-equivalents.
The devil-people, dragon-people and space lizard people were added, because its cool and fun to have more toys to play with.
I think you are letting your confirmation bias fool you here, and you are seeing your political enemies in a place where you should be seeing just a new lineup of toys being sold.

This is the Dungeons & Dragons in 2023 that we're all supposed to be impressed with. And people look at me like I'm weird.

Johnny Biggums

Learned
Haven't gotten to the last part yet.
Fair enough.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Started a second playthrough. Going under dark again makes me realize another thing I don't like about the thrid chapter.

They should spend more resources to create more diverse areas instead of shoving so much stuff in Baulder's Gate.

It's a game with mind flayers, think about the potential if you get to go to Menzoberranzan, and put the ending in a mind flayer colony, or a gith city. It would be much more interesting. Instead we spend half of the game running around a generic medival fantasy city.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
This is the Dungeons & Dragons in 2023 that we're all supposed to be impressed with. And people look at me like I'm weird.
The gith were originally humans (or elves?) that were enslaved by mind flayers, and created to be a servile slave caste for the big brain empire. I labeled them space lizards, because I am a funny person, and I do the humor thing. I forgot people here have penalty on INT rolls.
Also, looked it up, apparently gith were introduced in the 1980s. Muh woke. 99% of the time when you people see ideology, its literally just marketing. These products aren't as political as you think. Its just whatever sells.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist

Here's the D&D I know: White human men killing the fuck out of your damn lizard people. No questions asked:

merlin_146103810_0e45e74c-e089-42e6-9dec-4cbd69861e73-articleLarge.jpg

jf8350143

Liturgist
Games like this desperately need more punishments or trade offs for being a goodie two shoes/idealist.

Take the druid/tiefling situation. Say you make the druids shut down their ritual. You shouldn't be able to wipe out all the gobbos and everything work out perfectly. You should lose like a third of the druid population and some precious druid artifacts. You saved the refugees but at a cost. Gamed like this give no consequences for picking the "good" option
Being a goodie two shoes in this game already cost you a whole tadpole skill tree, and the game didn't even recognize that you are being a good guy. I'd say that's enough punishment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom