Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Roll.jpg

I don't think I will be rolling my way into this one.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lmao, so while moving around is easier with a controller just because of how shitty the camera is, interacting with anything suck huge dick. You can accidentally click on things you don't want to, like stealing shit from crates by mistake while trying to talk to an npc, and the name of objects appear in giant letters for no reason. Also, you don't get to see the icons so you have no idea what you are clicking is an interactable object (not liable to be considered stealing) or a crate of some form or another.

Starting to get irritated by this overall shit design modern gaymes.
Right-click > Examine.

Not what i'm talking about.
I know. You can hold Alt and click on things to take them, read them and throw them out if you don't need them. At least that's what I find myself doing, though it rarely gets to be such a problem for me.

Am i talking to a chatbot here?

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Lmao, so while moving around is easier with a controller just because of how shitty the camera is, interacting with anything suck huge dick. You can accidentally click on things you don't want to, like stealing shit from crates by mistake while trying to talk to an npc, and the name of objects appear in giant letters for no reason. Also, you don't get to see the icons so you have no idea what you are clicking is an interactable object (not liable to be considered stealing) or a crate of some form or another.

Starting to get irritated by this overall shit design modern gaymes.
Right-click > Examine.

Not what i'm talking about.
I know. You can hold Alt and click on things to take them, read them and throw them out if you don't need them. At least that's what I find myself doing, though it rarely gets to be such a problem for me.

Am i talking to a chatbot here?

Was this conversation helpful? Do you wanna see some magic? (y/n)

Kiste

Augur
Oh boy, Wyll seemed utterly heartbroken when I rejected him during his little gay dance routine.

Looks like this down-low nigga really wanted my massive Gnome cock up his ass.

Johnny Biggums

Learned
I've put about 12 hours into the game so far. I'm not impressed.
First village you visit has a plot where you need to get racist druids to accept illegal immigrants. WTF.

That's fake. You don't "need to". You can side with the racist druids. You can make them kill all Tieflings.
Or do it yourself, if you want that moral high ground stance that's so much lacking in modern video games.
My point is that the first major story plot involves immigrants and refugees at all. More woke TDS/post 2020 politics injected into modern media. You can't see how on the nose and hamfisted this is?
We all noticed that, we just went further and noticed that you're not forced to be a bleeding heart for the the mexicans-by-proxy (or north africans by proxy, as the case may be). Besides which, there is nothing odd or wrong about a work of fantasy pop culture alluding to major real world issues - and let's not pretend like how to deal with migrants and refugees can't be a morally tough question that might be worth exploring in a roleplaying game.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Look like BG3 is on pace to set a new concurrent players record this weekend. 50k more players now than at this time last saturday.
Honestly pretty impressive if it does. Lots of games tend to never go past the peak in the weekend of the launch week.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Games like this desperately need more punishments or trade offs for being a goodie two shoes/idealist.

Take the druid/tiefling situation. Say you make the druids shut down their ritual. You shouldn't be able to wipe out all the gobbos and everything work out perfectly. You should lose like a third of the druid population and some precious druid artifacts. You saved the refugees but at a cost. Gamed like this give no consequences for picking the "good" option

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
My point is that the first major story plot involves immigrants and refugees at all. More woke TDJ post 2020 politics injected into modern media. You can't see how on the nose and hamfisted this is?

That's clearly your personal problem, not one of the game. It's tied to current FR-lore.

FR lore has fan-fic shit all over the place, so don't straw man this. Gonna call bullshit on that statement. I don't recall any serious racist refugee plot arc stories in BG1 or 2 except for Viconia which only lasted a couple minutes and involved one person.

First plot of BG3 is a large quest involving fleeing refugees and racism. No I think it is you with the personal problem if you can't recognize blatant propaganda.

Sorry my fault. Totally forgot this board is one of the last safe spaces for right wing nutjobs. Won't happen again.

this game made me start a new playthru of Dragon Age: Origins.

OMG it's the "PoE made me replay BG2" all over again.

Sorry my fault. Totally forgot this board is one of the last safe spaces for right wing nutjobs. Won't happen again.
Annoy enough people and eventually someone will send me to go through your post history.

It will bomb tremendously and no gay shark will save it. It's a shame, there're so many good ideas here and there but Obsidian tried too hard to sell Oldschool-RPG to teen crowd with short attention span. Won't work out and there will be massive outrage for not being able to gay romance Eder. Firedorn will be a joke compared to this.

Well, looks like we get another rendered teaser, now female centered. True sign of decline, noble flaming fist knight dies while stronk womyn sorcerer defeats black dragon with thunderbolt. Way to go Larian, gonna appease the panromantic demisexual tumblr things.

Also: Dragons confirmed. Yeah.

Go woke, go rich.

I'm amazed how much of this western wokeness is in this game. It sours an otherwise good experience and I am always tempted if I should deinstall this pile of propaganda or continue. Shame. Pillars of Eternity's writing, while cucked sometimes, was based in comparison. This coming from a russian studio is pure decline.

Obsidian had their occasional gay character for ticking boxes and pleasing the multi-color-haired audience who is in it for CRPG romance, but not even both PoE's combined with DLCs frontload that heavy and blatant amount of shameless pandering LGTBQ*+ propaganda on you as WotR does. I guess the AP name is quite meta in that regard. It truely is the wrath of the self proclaimed righteous, "gifting" the grognards with one of the most fun CRPG gameplays combined with the most woke setting and NPC design. Which way will it be western men?

I stand with what I wrote, faggot.
I stand with what I wrote, faggot.

You sound upset. Do you need your mommy to make you a bottle and get your blanky?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Games like this desperately need more punishments or trade offs for being a goodie two shoes/idealist.

Take the druid/tiefling situation. Say you make the druids shut down their ritual. You shouldn't be able to wipe out all the gobbos and everything work out perfectly. You should lose like a third of the druid population and some precious druid artifacts. You saved the refugees but at a cost. Gamed like this give no consequences for picking the "good" option

Having lefturd morality being shoved down your throat is punishment enough.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
I don't know about others but party members and interactions is one of my favorite aspects of party based rpgs. For all bioware criticism they always delivered on that aspect for me. I always had that male comradery and that really made me feel like we were brothers who had each other's backs in life and death situations.

You had Garrus in mass effect. Loved the moment when you did the shooting competition with him and you could miss on purpose and he said the line about this being his favorite place in the citadel. Actually hilarious and great male comradery.

Alistar was awesome in DAO. Great bro and funny. I was happy to marry him with the queen and encourage him to be king because he was my boy.

I don't expect these faggots and soys at Larian to ever be able to capture the vibe and comradery between two masculine men (especially warriors/soldiers) bonding and forming a friendship

Edit: also had Canderous in Kotor.
I have brotherly comradery with goobers like Wyll, spergs like Gale, and even scoundrels like Astarion in rl. A lot depends on what you bring to the table too.

Took me awhile to unlock the code for the brocephuses you esteem - being a sperg myself - but running out of fucks to give helped with that. So did living around black dudes a lot.
You can't have a brotherly bond or espirit de corps with Wyll and Gayle. First their personalities aren't set up for it. Wyll could have been if they had made him some tweaks. His character is a huge disappointment, could have been really cool if properly executed.

But more importantly you can't have a brotherly bond with someone who wants you to fuck their ass. The moment they ask you to do that, it's over. Would your brother ask you to fuck their ass? No because then you aren't brothers.
Again with this second person horseshit. Your limitations are not mine. They're not even your own aside from those you've (mis-)placed upon yourself.

They haven't asked yet. I wish there weren't a "this is gay" button but you don't have to press it and as a father one grows familiar with choosing the adventure option toward sexual polarity when it presents itself.

As for the universal claim you've misplaced into second person, that one is invalid as well. Sodomy is a sin but ain't none of us but One free from that. Not in this life. If you've ever enjoyed a lingering look from a woman you can rest assured that you've had a brother that wants to fuck you in the ass. There's not many of them and hopefully won't be but they do exist and we greatly rely on the contributions of some of them.
I mean the first part is subjective. But those characters don't have the feel of espirit de corps. Just compare it to a party member like Garrus in Mass Effect. It's night and day. Again for all the shit bioware gets, I thoroughly enjoy (at least some) party members in most of their games.

The second part is not debatable. You are not a brother if you want me to fuck your ass. It's not a brotherhood/true friendship if there's a sexual component involved. That's why women and men can't be true friends 99% of the time. Because the men wants to fuck the women and that influences how he acts. With male comradery, there's no question about is the way you act influenced by sexual desires.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated

Having lefturd morality being shoved down your throat is punishment enough.
For us but not for the faggots out there. They should step into the real world and see there are always trade offs and consequences for any choices.

We desperately need more grey morality in these games that you make think.

Johnny Biggums

Learned

Legit criticism, though personally I haven't seen enough of the game to know how often that's the case.

Also, that the game sometimes structurally or rhetorically prefers the IRL progressive-equivalent choice isn't a major critique imho, since in almost all cases you're given several differing legitimate options. In the underdark you can side with myconids, duergar, deep gnomes, Absolute, or whatever combo suits your roleplay or personal fancy. It felt like the game presented the gnomes, and to a lesser extent the myconids (where some degree of disgust reflex is clearly meant to be invoked), as the beset-upon good guys, but it also hints at the gnomes not being so squeaky-clean, and anyway, gives all sorts of hilarious options to fuck with them too.

The best example of a forced roleplay I've seen so far is the brothel example someone mentioned earlier.

Edit: I want to be fair to the game. We just had a guy a page or two back claim that you "needed to" help the tieflings. It's an unbelievably successful crpg so the usual handwaving bs criticism isn't good enough, we need to grapple with it a little. Plus I'm mostly enjoying my playthrough and there must be reasons for that (besides me being a woke redditor cuck faggot)

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
There's a few stupid hand holding things the game does.

For example, if you kill Lae'zel on sight when you first meet her, her corpse literally follows you from map to map, like the game is expecting you to rez her.

No, fuck that idiot frog. I've seen her entire storyline and it is garbage.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Hiow's the game been running for everyone on their PCs? I still haven't replaced my GPU and am surprised at how well my old 1080 is running this at 1440p with all details set to max.

Just about bearable for the most part (feels like around 30-35fps) with all graphics bells and whistles at 1080p on an old i37100 @ 3.7Ghz, with 16G ram and GTX 970 card, all SSDs. The annoyances from this limited (well below spec cpu) setup is that there's always a noticeable gap before conversations while the system has a think to itself, saving takes ages (despite SSDs) and there's a period where animations don't work (characters glide and still can't interact) during the "free to move" period of saving. I suspect I'm also missing some smoothness in animations in conversations (despite having the full anims switch on in options), they feel a teensy bit jerky. All in all, it's tolerable but with some annoyances.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated

Legit criticism, though personally I haven't seen enough of the game to know how often that's the case.

Also, that the game sometimes structurally or rhetorically prefers the IRL progressive-equivalent choice isn't a major critique imho, since in almost all cases you're given several differing legitimate options. In the underdark you can side with myconids, duergar, deep gnomes, Absolute, or whatever combo suits your roleplay or personal fancy. It felt like the game presented the gnomes, and to a lesser extent the myconids (where some degree of disgust reflex is clearly meant to be invoked), as the beset-upon good guys, but it also hints at the gnomes not being so squeaky-clean, and anyway, gives all sorts of hilarious options to fuck with them too.

The best example of a forced roleplay I've seen so far is the brothel example someone mentioned earlier.
The druid tiefling situation is so incredibly botched though. It's actually a great set up. And I think the first druid sounds perfectly reasonable saying she needs to look out for her own people and they don't have the resources for druids and refugees.

But oh she's actually evil being manipulated by shadow druids and in comes super faggot and his merry band of faggots to wipe out all the bad guys and save every single druid and refugee. It would actually make you think about your choices if you would lose a lot of druids to help the refugees. That's classic simpleton RPG writing where there's one superior good option with absolutely 0 downsides

Mortmal

Arcane
Hiow's the game been running for everyone on their PCs? I still haven't replaced my GPU and am surprised at how well my old 1080 is running this at 1440p with all details set to max.
Runs good on Ultra in Act I and Act II, except for the one place in the Druid Grove where you can see both the first floor with the thieflings and the underground with the druids. It lags there for a few seconds as you move from one place to the other.
In the city of Baldur's Gate, it constantly lags. The type of performance I would've accepted as normal 15 years ago, but annoys me too much today.
They delayed the game's release for PlayStation to address performance issues. Ironically, it seems these performance issues are akin to the Act 3 problems everyone is currently experiencing. Essentially, we're unintentionally beta testing content for the console version, as has often been the case. People tend to jump at my throat when I suggest that consoles might ultimately offer a better experience, by "better" i mean affordability, optimization, and a lack of bugs. Even if you possess a cutting-edge graphics card, you may still encounter these problems. I'm unable to complete the game due to a game-breaking bug, indicating that Act 3 was inadequately tested and rushed, confirming what many expected.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Anyone disappointed they fucked up the mage hand for arcane trickster? I wanted to go ultra big brain on my 2nd playthrough (well 2nd and a half since I had to restart to cut off mage faggots hand and get rid of black faggot by siding with goblins)

Johnny Biggums

Learned

The druid tiefling situation is so incredibly botched though. It's actually a great set up. And I think the first druid sounds perfectly reasonable saying she needs to look out for her own people and they don't have the resources for druids and refugees.

But oh she's actually evil being manipulated by shadow druids and in comes super faggot and his merry band of faggots to wipe out all the bad guys and save every single druid and refugee. It would actually make you think about your choices if you would lose a lot of druids to help the refugees. That's classic simpleton RPG writing where there's one superior good option with absolutely 0 downsides
Yeah you've made a good case that they mucked up the C&C here and made a scenario with potential for moral interest more superficial that it should have been. I agree.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom