Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

None

Scholar
All of those effects are garbage camera lens mimicry anyways. Haven't seen any lens flares yet and its a good thing.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I realized now why the graphics of BG3 felt so particular to me: there is no chromatic abberration, noise, deforming lens effect, etc.
So strange for a 2023 game.

It's because Zoomers can't do that.
But these effects are very cheap to implement. I think in BG3 it is a deliberate choice.

Because Zoomers are retards and uneducated which is why they can't do it. They can't even maintain what was created 40 years ago.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Holy autism Batman!

1691860333894.png

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't know about others but party members and interactions is one of my favorite aspects of party based rpgs. For all bioware criticism they always delivered on that aspect for me. I always had that male comradery and that really made me feel like we were brothers who had each other's backs in life and death situations.

You had Garrus in mass effect. Loved the moment when you did the shooting competition with him and you could miss on purpose and he said the line about this being his favorite place in the citadel. Actually hilarious and great male comradery.

Alistar was awesome in DAO. Great bro and funny. I was happy to marry him with the queen and encourage him to be king because he was my boy.

I don't expect these faggots and soys at Larian to ever be able to capture the vibe and comradery between two masculine men (especially warriors/soldiers) bonding and forming a friendship

Edit: also had Canderous in Kotor.
I have brotherly comradery with goobers like Wyll, spergs like Gale, and even scoundrels like Astarion in rl. A lot depends on what you bring to the table too.

Took me awhile to unlock the code for the brocephuses you esteem - being a sperg myself - but running out of fucks to give helped with that. So did living around black dudes a lot.
You can't have a brotherly bond or espirit de corps with Wyll and Gayle. First their personalities aren't set up for it. Wyll could have been if they had made him some tweaks. His character is a huge disappointment, could have been really cool if properly executed.

But more importantly you can't have a brotherly bond with someone who wants you to fuck their ass. The moment they ask you to do that, it's over. Would your brother ask you to fuck their ass? No because then you aren't brothers.
Again with this second person horseshit. Your limitations are not mine. They're not even your own aside from those you've (mis-)placed upon yourself.

They haven't asked yet. I wish there weren't a "this is gay" button but you don't have to press it and as a father one grows familiar with choosing the adventure option toward sexual polarity when it presents itself.

As for the universal claim you've misplaced into second person, that one is invalid as well. Sodomy is a sin but ain't none of us but One free from that. Not in this life. If you've ever enjoyed a lingering look from a woman you can rest assured that you've had a brother that wants to fuck you in the ass. There's not many of them and hopefully won't be but they do exist and we greatly rely on the contributions of some of them.
I mean the first part is subjective. But those characters don't have the feel of espirit de corps. Just compare it to a party member like Garrus in Mass Effect. It's night and day. Again for all the shit bioware gets, I thoroughly enjoy (at least some) party members in most of their games.

The second part is not debatable. You are not a brother if you want me to fuck your ass. It's not a brotherhood/true friendship if there's a sexual component involved. That's why women and men can't be true friends 99% of the time. Because the men wants to fuck the women and that influences how he acts. With male comradery, there's no question about is the way you act influenced by sexual desires.

There isn’t. Ain’t nobody going up this ass. DC all the way and high-powered.

Brothers want all kinds of stupid shit. Doesn’t mean they’re getting it. In any event few gays are very particular. Only way this gets better historically is calling them to repentance carrot *and* stick and being in a position to do so. Treating them like lepers is how we got here.

I will agree that the comradery is lacking (and the super fake fudge packing doesn’t help) but it’s also because it’s so one-sided. Where’s the MC’s story and the companion finding out about that and seeking *your* approval? Brotherhood in rl is always give and take.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Lmao, so while moving around is easier with a controller just because of how shitty the camera is, interacting with anything suck huge dick. You can accidentally click on things you don't want to, like stealing shit from crates by mistake while trying to talk to an npc, and the name of objects appear in giant letters for no reason. Also, you don't get to see the icons so you have no idea what you are clicking is an interactable object (not liable to be considered stealing) or a crate of some form or another.

Starting to get irritated by this overall shit design modern gaymes.
Right-click > Examine.

Not what i'm talking about.
I know. You can hold Alt and click on things to take them, read them and throw them out if you don't need them. At least that's what I find myself doing, though it rarely gets to be such a problem for me.

Am i talking to a chatbot here?
Ok smartass, fix your UI problems on your own. Shithead.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Were Tielfings, Githyankee, dragon people, etc even in Faerun at all in the 90s? How the F did we get this zoo in this setting all of a sudden? Explain this. Baldur's Gate IIRC was a human city.
Tieflings in Baldur's Gate is normal, there was some split, war, a city falling, etc. Complicated.
Giths, no. They are interdimensional aliens from far away. Dragonborn didn't even exist back then iirc, they came into existence more recently in the timeline.

In other words, WotC created diversity deliberately in Faerun so we could setup stories about "racism". Sounds awfully like what they're doing IRL to me. That people can't see the heavy-handed political messaging in this game is beyond ridiculous to me.
Would you rather have racism stories told through negro elves?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Okay I gotta say the story is a mess. It seems to me they didn't actually want to include the Dead Three and just wanted to tell a story about Mind Flayers. Then they had to awkwardly mash the two together to justify the "Baldur's Gate 3" title. As expected.

The end of Act 2 is a mess.
Also
Thorm and the Avatar of Myrkul are goddamn pushovers. The hardest fight in Act 2 was the one at the entrance to Moonrise Towers with Z'rell and that was only moderately difficult to begin with.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I've put about 12 hours into the game so far. I'm not impressed.
First village you visit has a plot where you need to get racist druids to accept illegal immigrants. WTF.
12 hours and you haven't even realized what the first crossroads of the story is? Must've dumped INT at character creation.
Bonus points for not knowing the difference between racism and xenophobia, and it's hard to even really say that's the actual problem, when
the troubles with strict hierarchy are far more at the fore

They delayed the game's release for PlayStation to address performance issues.
Is the Playstation release date not the same as it was? i.e. Early September. Thought it was the Xbox Series that got the big indefinite, because they're struggling to get couch coop to perform well enough on the Series S and parity of gameplay is a requirement MS sets.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bonus points for not knowing the difference between racism and xenophobia
Even if people (not necessarily the OP) knew the difference, the Grove conflict has nothing to do with illegal immigrants scenarios (imagined or irl-inspired). People were on their way to Baldur's Gate, when Goblins attacked, and sought refuge at the Grove. Those people could've been almost anything.

If anything, the scenario is a classic. And the way the PC solves it, is a classic way to determine their alignment(s).

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that if you thought people were dumb, if you look closer, they're even dumber. :)

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
The hardest fight in Act 2 was.....
Definitely the Necromancer, for me. Maybe it was exactly before I optimized everything, builds, items, consumables, and I was underleveled for it, but it was BY FAR the hardest fight.
Others have said Raphael's mark, but that can be made easy or hard, or skipped, depending on dialogue options. The Necromancer fight is mandatory, and hard.

Syme

Arbiter
:mca:

Chapter 2:
I really like the overall vibe. Exploring the cursed land and returning to comfy inn with chill music. Good stuff.
Larian can make top quality "set piece", but the main storyline still seems like confused garbage. We'll see how it develops.

Also, this game severely lacks... normal stuff? Mundane village... tavern... common folk without horns talking about harvest. Gosh, I miss that...
Everything I've seen of BG 3 thus far has looked acutely High-Fantasy. I've eeen far *far* more Red-Skinned Tieflings as NPCs than any other race or class. Everywhere any of these walkthroughs go there's glowing shit, otherworldly nonesense and a general lack of normalcy.

Are there any bedraggled peasants just trying to plow their fields in this game?

To be fair, that is very much Forgotten Realms. It's part of what I don't like about the setting. Even low-magic stories still involve supernatural circumstances and characters interacting with Void-Walkers and Abyssal creatures.

:philosoraptor:

Forgotten Realms and popular other PnP setting are a giant complete mess by design. It's a necessity of the business model.
Release more and more content, more and more lore. See what sticks. See what nerds will buy and use in PnP.

In a PnP environment, it's moderated by a GM selecting some cool stuff from this giant messy buffet. Or at least that's how we rolled.
Baldur's Gate 1 is also a good example of achieving comfy low level mundane mood in Forgotten Realms.

Seeing FR treated in a straightforward manner, in it's full horrible glory, without any moderation... is headache-inducing.

But you can pick up a goblin and throw him into flames, so... fuck the story, lol.

Adding more and more lore isn't an issue, it's who gets to write it. Ed Greenwood could write another dozen Volo's Guide's and it would be fine, but that's not what's happening. Like any other popular intellectual property, the realms got bought and subsequently handed over to soyfaces and chicks with unnatural hair colors to "modernize" the setting. It's why orcs are no longer evil, Paladins are no longer good, why there's wacky shit everywhere, and why (to address the poster you quoted) the Western Heartlands (where bg1 and 3 play) are no longer 80% human, 19% elves/dwarves/halflings, and 1% other, as they were originally written to be.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Lol, I rated his reply to you cringe and now he's going through my post history.

e0P3H8m.png

Cool, calm, and collected.

You sound upset there Ted. Why don't you go drink a glass of warm milk and calm down?

Why do you have your profile set to private Ted? Are you afraid of people leaving you terrible ratings in response to your braindead ones?

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I've put about 12 hours into the game so far. I'm not impressed.
First village you visit has a plot where you need to get racist druids to accept illegal immigrants. WTF.

That's fake. You don't "need to". You can side with the racist druids. You can make them kill all Tieflings.
Or do it yourself, if you want that moral high ground stance that's so much lacking in modern video games.
My point is that the first major story plot involves immigrants and refugees at all. More woke TDS/post 2020 politics injected into modern media. You can't see how on the nose and hamfisted this is?
We all noticed that, we just went further and noticed that you're not forced to be a bleeding heart for the the mexicans-by-proxy (or north africans by proxy, as the case may be). Besides which, there is nothing odd or wrong about a work of fantasy pop culture alluding to major real world issues - and let's not pretend like how to deal with migrants and refugees can't be a morally tough question that might be worth exploring in a roleplaying game.
In the real world they're fighting age single males principally so they're not even doing that. But no it is not portrayed as morally tough in-game at all. They may be headed that direction but there's a long way yet to go.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Even if people (not necessarily the OP) knew the difference, the Grove conflict has nothing to do with illegal immigrants scenarios (imagined or irl-inspired).
Yeah, I mean, I essentially said it's not really about that at all in the spoiler, but wanted to err on the safe side with the details.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
The endings are also lame as hell. I remember the marketing machine shitting out "le 17000 endings bro!"

The actual ending:

You did it! A winner is you!

The end.

This is so tiresome. Everyone's acting all clever and "I'm a political intellectual you know", then they all repeat some youtube fake news that was debunked eons ago.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom