Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 Panel From Hell: Release Showcase

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Shit like that puts Eora in perspective now doesn't it.

Honestly I dont find that line about Waterdeep troublesome to me if I ever use the setting ( I dont but still).

Sure the line that says "What confidence" can easely change to "What Ego". Wizards are sissies anyway. Of course they would try to change sex.

Barbarian

Arcane
Pride parades, combat wheelchair, no more "races"... there is a whole lot to list.

The wheelchair thing is nonsensical being that we are talking about a universe where it is somewhat banal to regrow limbs or even revive dead people. It still surprises me it is a thing. I assume even the wokest DM would ignore this unless some wheelchair bound kid decided to actually roleplay a wheelchair bound character for some reason.

FbbhcQ5XgAMlEgi

FbbhZ8hWYAE-_RI

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
As https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Forgotten_Realms#Forgotten_Realms_And_Sex points out these elements were always part of the Realms, but WoTC kept a lid on it in the actual game material until the culture changed enough to allow it to be permissible.
Missed this edit(?).

This is bullshit. Even the idea that "it was always there but we just didn't tell anyone" means it wasn't fucking there.

The occasional writer's sexual fantasies are not the same as making entire cities filled with trannies and cross dressers specifically. Neither are the sex change spells. There's a specific, modern and political brand of woke that's being marketed here, and that's what people like me are complaining about.

• "Festhalls" (many of which employ prostitutes as staff) are relatively common and visiting them is the normal way to spend an evening.
As if having hookers in a game is suddenly the same as having tranny pride parades. :roll:

There's a difference between specific sexual fantasies and these modern ideas of transsexualism or gender identity. Ed Greenwood has always been a pervert, but that doesn't mean that we've always had the modern brand of LGBT faggotry in the game. And any revisionism from him or anyone else in claiming that it was always there in their is head is just them kissing woke ass for brownie points.

I find it hilarious btw, that this description likely applies to every Nu-D&D city. After all, can you say that trannies don't exist in X city, provided it's even seen as being remotely free? Of course not.

You might as well cut/paste that same text blurb for Baldur's Gate, Amn and Neverwinter. Even in fantasy, globohomo homogenizes everything.

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
AwmN1dN.png

HCFv72F.png

Again, I will say that the character writing in the Early Access' first release was fairly good compared to Larian's past work, and I disagree with anyone who says otherwise.

But this is garbage. I want to play a fantasy game. Back in the day, that meant that modern stuff like dating was rarely mentioned, or couched in older terms, not just blurted out.

Maybe there's a ton of precedent for this that I'm not thinking about, but you didn't see this junk in BG or PST.
What's wrong little feller, not feeling the throbbing bear COCK of this brave and profound rpg writing?
i-love-that-they-added-sleepwears-in-the-game-v0-db05g3ub5yab1.jpg

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
What's wrong little feller, not feeling the throbbing bear COCK of this brave and profound rpg writing?
I've seen GPT-3 responses that are better than this.

>orifices
Why would the PC be talking about his orifices if Cocklack isn't a tranny?

Again, this is trash compared to the stuff from the EA originally. It's possible that this one character has a terrible faggot writer, but at this point my bet is that Larian botched everything after Act 1, probably as their team grew and changed.

The woke changes to the character creation are things that require top-level people to sign off on. Meaning that whomever is heading production is in a agreement with LGBT as a priority.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
AwmN1dN.png

HCFv72F.png

Again, I will say that the character writing in the Early Access' first release was fairly good compared to Larian's past work, and I disagree with anyone who says otherwise.

But this is garbage. I want to play a fantasy game. Back in the day, that meant that modern stuff like dating was rarely mentioned, or couched in older terms, not just blurted out.

Maybe there's a ton of precedent for this that I'm not thinking about, but you didn't see this junk in BG or PST.
i-love-that-they-added-sleepwears-in-the-game-v0-db05g3ub5yab1.jpg
Imagine playing this co-op and watching as a group various romance cut-scenes like the one that would assumedly ensue from the dialogue choices above. Makes Kalin's gay pr0n watch parties look wholesome in comparison.

:neveraskedforthis:

Late Bloomer

Scholar
It's possible that this one character has a terrible faggot writer, but at this point my bet is that Larian botched everything after Act 1.

I believe games this large can't really have a situation like that. The writing must pass numerous eyes and be approved.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I believe games this large can't really have a situation like that. The writing must pass numerous eyes and be approved.
Eh, it's not about approval. Of course the people who signed off on bear sex and showed it on a stream don't exactly have good taste.

It's about the direction of the project. What are your priorities?

That's where you see stuff consistently ruin a project. If whomever wrote Karlach didn't get their mits on much of the game, and people like them were a minority on the team, it limits the scope of the damage they could do.

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
AwmN1dN.png

HCFv72F.png

That Dragonborn design is fucking awful. They look like badly modded Argonians. When a low budget MMO like Neverwinter does a better job of modeling Dragonborn then a big budget AAA game.
Also, I'm too am getting really sick of romances in these games. When I play a fantasy RPG I want to go on an adventure and fight the big bad evil in a magical fantasy setting. I'm not looking to go on dinner dates in the middle of a world ending scenario. This was made to appeal to women and by women I mean the worst kind of women. The women who are constantly coom brained and horny and spend all their days flicking their beans reading and writing slash fiction on A03 of fujoshi vampire elves getting fucked in ass by a bear. Never let it be said that women are less degenerate then men because they are not. They are far, far worse.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Missed this edit(?).

This is bullshit. Even the idea that "it was always there but we just didn't tell anyone" means it wasn't fucking there.

The occasional writer's sexual fantasies are not the same as making entire cities filled with trannies and cross dressers specifically. Neither are the sex change spells. There's a specific, modern and political brand of woke that's being marketed here, and that's what people like me are complaining about.
In Elminster: The Making of a Mage from 1994 Elminster is transformed into a woman and has sex with dudes and other women.

Drakortha

Liturgist
That Dragonborn design is fucking awful. They look like badly modded Argonians. When a low budget MMO like Neverwinter does a better job of modeling Dragonborn then a big budget AAA game.
Bro, the game on release will be different than the complete product. You need to be patient, video game development is a lot of work. You can't expect developers to crunch just for you.

>orifices
Why would the PC be talking about his orifices if Cocklack isn't a tranny?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strap-on_dildo

Imagine playing this co-op and watching as a group various romance cut-scenes like the one that would assumedly ensue from the dialogue choices above. Makes Kalin's gay pr0n watch parties look wholesome in comparison.
According to Kotaku there's a poly romance so maybe it allows for co-op cutscenes too. :shittydog:

Zeriel

Arcane
:prosper:

I am once again both glad that I gave up on D&D at around 3rd edition, and sad at the depths of its defilement.

What strikes me about it is that in the 90s the point of fantasy was to escape. Now the point of the fantasy (to these idiots) is to reflect their real world political correctness. Ironically, the way they treat Art in this way is indistinguishable from "purpose made" Christian films/media they used to mock for being unfunny/boring/stilted. Now they are just as uncreative in their purpose-made media.

James_xeno

Literate
The fact that the bear thing was a gay scene as well leads me to believe this isn't just normal twatter or tumblr nonsense, but screams furry as well. A certain subset of the furry fandom who make everything gay or at least have a penis.

You know.. Watching the reactions of the gaming media and industry is kind of irking me. These are the same retards who devote whole preview articles and entire paragraphs of reviews to whining about how upset they are that a female character's outfit shows "too much" skin, or how unrealistic underboob is in a game full of magical monsters, dragons and spells etc. And sexuality in general. Predicated on the fallacy that fiction = reality... even if only eventually. And demanding everything be treated deadly serious in general. But suddenly stuff like this is just fine.

This quote from Ngaf puts it best:

"the venn diagram of people complaining about fanservice in anime/japanese games and people cheering on the bear scene is a near perfect circle"

------------------

All that said, I don't have issue with it in principle, more freedom the better.. I just expect that freedom to go multiple ways.

Last edited:

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

AwmN1dN.png

HCFv72F.png

To be honest. This is way better than any of the writing for romances in Mass Effect. Beside in term of writing this is a weird example to give. That's just a romance scene. I saw the full scene and is meant to be a little goofy to start with. Tho i saw other parts of the gameplay in act 2 with the story and difference. And was very pretty cool.

About some of the content that Laria put in. Well consider also Wotk insane late retardation. I suspect some stuff was put in because demanded.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Missed this edit(?).

In Elminster: The Making of a Mage from 1994 Elminster is transformed into a woman and has sex with dudes and other women.
I already covered that in what you quoted:
It's not complicated: I don't want the modern world or its politics overtly shoehorned into my fantasy game because some faggots got brainwashed by Tumblr.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's not complicated: I don't want the modern world or its politics overtly shoehorned into my fantasy game because some faggots got brainwashed by Tumblr.
Forgotten Realms in the 80s/90s/00s reflected 80s/90s/00s culture. Now it reflects 10s/20s culture. There was never any kind of authentic medieval experience here.

James_xeno

Literate
Forgotten Realms in the 80s/90s/00s reflected 80s/90s/00s culture. Now it reflects 10s/20s culture. There was never any kind of authentic medieval experience here.

If by culture you mean they were allowed to reflect a fictional in-story world and narrative, free from talking points of the day, and today they are not.. Then I agree with you. But if you're arguing for a sort of artistic/narrative relativity, all things are equal, then no way. When people complain about politics and ideology in media today, they aren't speaking about vague sensibilities, they are talk about overt themes and story points being forced into a fictional work. If all things were truly equal, then games like DnD wouldn't exist today. Well they may be able to exist today, but they wouldn't have been created back in the 80s and early 90s. Not if the "cultures" of the times were equal. As for arguments about authenticity.. At best one could argue that it's missing the forest for the trees. But you don't have to be a cynic to call it out as a red herring either.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Forgotten Realms in the 80s/90s/00s reflected 80s/90s/00s culture. Now it reflects 10s/20s culture.
All those wizards and dragons that rode skateboards and said "don't have a cow, man!", or listened to Elf McHammer. :lol:

There was never any kind of authentic medieval experience here.
Not being completely simulationist doesn't mean it didn't try to call back to a bygone era.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
When people complain about politics and ideology in media today, they aren't speaking about vague sensibilities, they are talk about overt themes and story points being forced into a fictional work.
To give an example, if what Roguey said were true, then the so-called 'Satanic Panic' wouldn't have just prompted TSR to censor 2nd Edition, but there would have been overt references to Jesus and maybe even a little Christian preaching in it.

Do you think you'd react well to reading John 3:16 paraphrased by a fantasy guidebook you'd purchased, Roguey? Not a subtle allegory, but the actual message of the Gospel? Maybe a suggestion that dungeon masters lead their group in a short prayer of thanksgiving and praise to the Lord Jesus Christ? After all, Gygax was a Christian, wasn't he?

Even if you would be fine with it, I suspect that many of those who support this modern "culture" being forced into the setting and even ruleset would not.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Apparently this game has full genitalia / sex scenes.. and if you play the edge lord murder hobo you can rape maim and kill..
I have no idea if that's true but people who played the full game are reporting / hinting at that..

Surprised nuu-WOTC would even green light that - guess we'll see when the game comes out.
I very much doubt there will be rape in the game, not even Larian would go that far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom