Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 Panel From Hell: Release Showcase

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This actually bothered me a bit more than I expected. You put my thoughts into words, basically - the word "dating" feels very anachronistic here

Yep, it would be unfortunate if we are going to encounter a lot of characters like this, basically modern western city dwellers cosplaying as elves and tieflings
"Dating" in this context dates back as far as the late 19th century. Why wouldn't they use late 19th century words? They have 21st century attitudes.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
AwmN1dN.png

HCFv72F.png

Again, I will say that the character writing in the Early Access' first release was fairly good compared to Larian's past work, and I disagree with anyone who says otherwise.

But this is garbage. I want to play a fantasy game. Back in the day, that meant that modern stuff like dating was rarely mentioned, or couched in older terms, not just blurted out.

Maybe there's a ton of precedent for this that I'm not thinking about, but you didn't see this junk in BG or PST.
What's wrong little feller, not feeling the throbbing bear COCK of this brave and profound rpg writing?
i-love-that-they-added-sleepwears-in-the-game-v0-db05g3ub5yab1.jpg
Wtf is this bs? Why are all the options so fucking terrible? Even the normalish responses feel off to me.

How is it this game apparently has 99999999999 dialogue options and reactivity to everything yet every in every screencap i’ve seen thus far i struggle to find more then 1 choice at best i find tolerable.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
and the people who control the setting want it to be this way.
I think this has more to do with it than anything, but that didn't mean Larian had to write idiotic stuff like "I'm not sure my orifices are ready."

The writing that came out of the EA at first was far superior to this, even in the rough state it was in.

Maybe Larian is just awful at romance writing, or this is just one writer messing things up, but it's noticeably modern and nonsensical.

Fanfic tier.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Wtf is this bs? Why are all the options so fucking terrible? Even the normalish responses feel off to me.

How is it this game apparently has 99999999999 dialogue options and reactivity to everything yet every in every screencap i’ve seen thus far i struggle to find more then 1 choice at best i find tolerable.
I would like to have a rude/evil option in every dialogue. So you can naturally react to the awfulness of some of the NPC's lines by just telling them to go jump off a cliff

catfood

AGAIN
AwmN1dN.png

HCFv72F.png

Again, I will say that the character writing in the Early Access' first release was fairly good compared to Larian's past work, and I disagree with anyone who says otherwise.

But this is garbage. I want to play a fantasy game. Back in the day, that meant that modern stuff like dating was rarely mentioned, or couched in older terms, not just blurted out.

Maybe there's a ton of precedent for this that I'm not thinking about, but you didn't see this junk in BG or PST.
What's wrong little feller, not feeling the throbbing bear COCK of this brave and profound rpg writing?
i-love-that-they-added-sleepwears-in-the-game-v0-db05g3ub5yab1.jpg

Female writers.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
and the people who control the setting want it to be this way.
I think this has more to do with it than anything, but that didn't mean Larian had to write idiotic stuff like "I'm not sure my orifices are ready."

The writing that came out of the EA at first was far superior to this, even in the rough state it was in.

Maybe Larian is just awful at romance writing, or this is just one writer messing things up, but it's noticeably modern and nonsensical.

Fanfic tier.

All fantasy writing is like this now. "Orifice" is also from the 15th century. :M

Swen doesn't review everything. Even if someone with some level of authority ok'd it, it doesn't mean that it still wasn't one weird coomer pink-hair that wrote it.

According to glass door reviews, Swen is a tyrant. There's nothing in any of his games he doesn't personally approve.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
The writing problem is really evident when you compare some titles, even Bg2. Or when I was watching mando´s Myth the fallen lords vid. Fantasy was campy but at least pretend to be serious overall. I no doubt bet BG3 will feel like THAT type of dm is taking control of the entire thing. Its a fucked up situation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom