Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldstorm, now featuring the SwedeMarines

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I just played the Imperial Guard mission, against
VanceStubbs.jpg

and what I've got to say is:
HE MISPLACED 100 BANEBLADES? Iron Storm you fail at 40k

psycojester

Arbiter
...... huh? How the hell is that even possible? Thats like misplacing several herds of elephants. The sheer logistics of losing them must have been mind bogglingly complicated to arrange. Thats probably why he's still alive, the Commisar is still sitting around with a pencil, paper and servitor trying to work out how it could have actually happened.

Fez

Erudite
Damn. I just watched the videos that KC and Human Shield linked to. "Spess" marines and the "METTEL" boxes...

This game looks worse and worse every time I see anything on it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
just play it.
like I did.
btw it really helps if you want to sleep nicely.
this addon is so shitty it just asks for LP.

Well, for a slightly different view, I dunno, I'm having some fun with it. Maybe I just have no taste.

I like the most of the alterations in logistics of the campaign map better than DC. I like how maps revert, so that there's no reason to leave one base surrounded by troops just out of range for an hour while you overbuild for defense. The only way to improve defense for the next battle is with planetary requistion. You can also weaken strong provinces through multiple attacks rather than it always being all or nothing. It makes planetary requisition count for more, as you can go for a battle of attrition on the strategic map. The racial abilities are really unbalanced, though. Once you get Deep Strike, all you have to do is rush and it's over in 4 minutes, but some others are pretty worthless. I like how you have to wipe out a race to get their special ability, it gives you an incentive to attack early rather than collect all the honor guard and abilities before thinking of going after any strongholds.

The dialogue and story is really lame, though. I think that's been going downhill every game. The skirmishes get tiresome, too, after they have time to build up. It basically comes down to rush the nearest base with honor guard and deep strike or die, as you end up with two separate armies with separate army caps double teaming you in no time if you just squabble over strategic points. The only other option is to attack multiple times and whittle away their permanent defenses while not digging too deep into your own requisition to do so. I think the campaign does mechanically work out better overall than DC, with the exception of boredom at having no special objectives other than annihilate or take and hold for gate provinces.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
i play on normal and just rush for critical pts when it's take or hold, most of the time I just skip the outside provinces and take on the strongholds no sweat if you upgrade your force commander with insane melee dmg, he'll rape anything in the first 5 mins of every campaign map. Should you have the Sisters of Battle forward base ability, the game is much more easier.

MetalCraze

Arcane
oh gawd.
btw let me guess. half of that map consists of the low detail empty areas and the other one - of the impassable jungles?

RK47

Patron
I cannot believe the franchise owners didn't do a proper QA check on the general faction personalities and missed something that horrible.

RK47

Patron
how's the multiplay like anyway? I get a sneaky feeling that rushing early is a very valid strat since several factions start very slow and has differing styles. Insane Orks seems brutally capable of rushing in small maps, often catching me off guard.

whitemithrandir

Erudite
RK47 said:
how's the multiplay like anyway? I get a sneaky feeling that rushing early is a very valid strat since several factions start very slow and has differing styles. Insane Orks seems brutally capable of rushing in small maps, often catching me off guard.

It's dawn of war. everybody rushes.

The system is based on making constant offensive plays to control the map. If you try to turtle tech you will lose.

RK47

Patron
that's disheartening. Guess I'll just wait for Turn based W40K PC game.

ricolikesrice

Arcane

well SS had one good thing .... it made me go back and enjoy DC (with mods) !

currently replaying DC campaign with DowXP 4.5 (lots of rebalancing, some new units for each race etc etc , MUCH better AI ) - mind you i ve been warned that dowxp aint balanced on SP so there might be issues in stronghold/special missions, whether that means "crashes" or simply getting owned by the much better AI given they have bigger starting forces on such maps... i dont know yet.

gonna try some other mods as well like TTRU and FoK (supposed to fully work with the campaign as soon as its finished, currently only beta though )as well.... but my experiences with DowXP 4.5 so far been good. Played IG mostly, got beaten alot in "normal" (where i usually had zero problems in "hard" with standard AI ), love the way the faction plays opposed to SS (especially the different tank variants are loads of fun ).

shame mods probably cant fix just how shit the fluff/story is in Soulstorm..... i dont care what excuses iron lore comes up with, but given how mods provide better looking/animated new units, better gameplay etc etc .... that pretty much leaves only the new story/fluff which sounds like a 13y olds 40k fanfic ... i have no doubt if it were possible (hopefully it is) even there modders could beat them silly proving just how appropiate their disbanding is in regard to their horrible soulstorm performance.

anyhow, SkirmishAI been around since DoW:Winter Assault. its pretty hilarious how that modder-made AI totally destroys the crap relic & iron lore came up with.
then again i read a SS review in the german gamestar magazine where they complain about soulstorm beeing very hard even on easy AI........ what the hell ? wonder how much those tards would cry about SkirmishAI... makes me almost understand why relic didnt improve their AI given some people beeing even to dumb for the lacklustre AI they provided.

ricolikesrice

Arcane

not sure what you mean by that but i just came across a mod thats supposed to

...not fuck with the campaign at all, since it *only* adds new units (around 3 per race) and doesnt change balance much.
...replace SM honor guard units for the DC campaign with unique stuff (assault bike squadron, vindicator, etc.). its not fully released yet (beta), i.e. no honor guard replacements for the other races so far.

name is DoW enhanced, gonna try it out later today, sounds really good (especially the new honor guard units )

DowXP, Firestorm over Kronus(FOK), TTRU , DowPro and some others are all rebalancing mods that may or may not work flawlessly with the campaign. Like said, i didnt meet any problems yet with DowXP 4.5 in the campaign, but i havent done a stronghold map yet.

For FOK i already read that it crashes during stronghold maps, but thats supposed to be fixed when it comes out fully.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I mean rebalancing mods that doesn't add anything rather than just balancing races. to make f.e. Tau not such a weak race and Necrons not so overpowered.

RK47

Patron
Tau weak? err okay. I guess if you toss them on melee they're really pathetic, but if you can micro a lot their range firepower is quite ridiculous early game.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Tau is powerful at ranged fights, however they are weak at close ones - but other races do not. but I can pretty much hold everyone at a distance with them, however when an enemy manage to summon some super-unit - and you know that they are doing close combat - tau guys appear to be in the world of pain. they are good in the early game - sure - but what if the opponent is equally good eldar?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom