Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldstorm, now featuring the SwedeMarines

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I'm not talking about powers, I'm talking about looks and the way all of the races are marketed. Sure Protoss might play more like Space Marines, but they look more like Eldar. Necrons are more "undead"-like, so you win on one point.
I win on all points. The ?way the races are marketed"? What does that mean, exactly? And Protoss and Eldar don't look much alike, either. Eldar are skinny elves in plastic suits with coneheads, Protoss are massive aliens in Egyptian-themed power armor and giant spider tanks.
Dawn of War isn't made specifically for 40k gamers. A lot of marketing assumes that people want something that looks familiar, even if, as you pointed out, it plays completely differently.
And what was your support for that theory? That on the most abstract archetypal level they kinda sorta superficially resemble one another? A comparison that can be made between factions in practically any game with fantasy races? Fail

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Have any of you played the Eldar stronghold mission? I quit playing when I heard the voice acting for the Seer Council. Christ, what were they thinking? Also, the Tau have an environmentally friendly death ray.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
kingcomrade said:
That on the most abstract archetypal level they kinda sorta superficially resemble one another? A comparison that can be made between factions in practically any game with fantasy races? Fail

:roll: The point was that they're superficially similar. And sure, you can make that comparison to any fantasy series, but Blizzard's games sell a lot of copies.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
The point was that they're superficially similar.
Except they aren't, really, any more than anything else is. Your argument sucks and doesn't provide a rationale for much of any relationship.

Can you guys see what I did here
SpessMerens.jpg

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
i set it to higher resolution and it still looked like shit. ok so the graphics whore in me is slightly disappointed, I decided to give the campaign a try. I took a territory. Not bad. Then decided to make a bold move to attack a strongholdl with just a normal base setup.

This is on normal. And I could still beat the Orks no problem as long I don't 'rush' it and keep holding chokepoint and get 3-1 kill ratios. CONGRATS U BEAT ONE FACTION IN TWO TURNS.

oh, KC, got any link to more W40k, those r pretty awesome

Nael

Arcane
Wow. I'm glad I picked up SoaSE instead yesterday. I saw it sitting next to the DoW:SS box, and seeing as I'm still enjoying Dark Crusade and don't really like either the Sisters or the Dark Eldar I didn't see a need to buy it. SoaSE on the other hand shows alot of promise. It's definitely lacking depth in the single player game, but it's not a breaking issue for me.

kingcomrade said:
Can you guys see what I did here

You amuse yourself. Misspelling stuff on purpose is soooooooo 5 years ago.

MetalCraze

Arcane
bah I got bored after the first mission
like why do you need to build anything better than the mere infantry? the game is so well balanced - you can take out enemy just by training a large number of infantry units and then doing a rush.

dark crusade despite introducing two totally unbalanced factions - at least was interesting and required some tactics.

but in the end Iron Lore got what they deserved.

Quigs

Magister
meh.

SoB are fun.

The person who said the new buildings look horrible and referenced xbox is a douchebag. The buildings look great, and blaming xbox on a pure PC game is like those brainless fucktards who blame the neocons on your bean burrito coming apart in the microwave.

Cthulhugoat

Arbiter
Alright, thanks guys. Staying the fuck away from this one. I'd rather blow my brains out than shooting and slashing my way through endless skirmish maps and mildly interesting "stronghold" missions, which even then followed a pattern.

Now shooting and slashing my way through whole planets filled with skirmish fun... No idea of what I would do.

Nael

Arcane
Cthulhugoat said:
Alright, thanks guys. Staying the fuck away from this one. I'd rather blow my brains out than shooting and slashing my way through endless skirmish maps and mildly interesting "stronghold" missions, which even then followed a pattern.

Did you give Dark Crusade a spin though? That was definitely worth it as it was more than just "playing a map". I agree though about Soulstorm. THQ should have gotten a THClue after they released the original DoW and nearly everyone lamented the lack of Tyrannids. I can understand as a developer not worrying about them in the original release if it wasn't really pertinent to the story, but *3* expansion packs, and 5 new races later, and they still don't include Tyrannids? Methinks THQ is just fucking with the community at this point. Seriously, who gives a flying fuck about Dark Eldar? They should've titled Soulstorm "Dawn of War: Eternal Emo",

Cthulhugoat

Arbiter
Nael said:
Did you give Dark Crusade a spin though?

Yeah, I did. Hence all the rage against skirmish maps. :wink:

they still don't include Tyrannids? Methinks THQ is just fucking with the community at this point. Seriously, who gives a flying fuck about Dark Eldar? They should've titled Soulstorm "Dawn of War: Eternal Emo",

I don't get it either. Space elves are much less interesting than world-consuming space bugs. Why do they insist so much on leaving 'nids out? Dunno. Seems that they would fuck the game engine or some bullshit.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Iron Lore is an extremely extremely ultra retarded shit.
I mean was.

wtf? since when Chaos became so retarded? considering they themselves are "hiding in the metal boxes".
this is so fucking lol.

I'm just glad Iron Lore got what they deserved. I only hope that more victims will follow.

Nael

Arcane
Human Shield said:
kingcomrade said:
This is how bad the dialogue in Soulstorm is. Remember, this is suppose to be an Alpha Legion Lord, of all things.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO3MttgvHUY
The bit the guy added on to the end made me lol harder than it should have.

RHINOS!!

We shall not die, no. It is the enemy that will taste death and defeat.

lulz...

Now I understand KC's "Spess" Marines. I apologize for my ignorance, but in a way I feel better for it.

MetalCraze

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom