Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Baldr's Squid Isekai: A Parody - now available on Early Access

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, I've got some minor drama brewing as someone is trying to cancel me on steam because they're on an anti-AI crusade, accused me of doing a bunch of stuff I didn't do, and is now deleting a bunch of comments pointing out that they're wrong. Now they're getting chewed out by steam users for censoring the review thread.
Hm, is the Necronomicon artwork ethically sourced?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
So, I've got some minor drama brewing as someone is trying to cancel me on steam because they're on an anti-AI crusade, accused me of doing a bunch of stuff I didn't do, and is now deleting a bunch of comments pointing out that they're wrong. Now they're getting chewed out by steam users for censoring the review thread.

I don't believe machine generation such as DALLe or its contemporaries is unethical or plagiarism, so yes, it's ethically sourced.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't believe machine generation such as DALLe or its contemporaries is unethical or plagiarism, so yes, it's ethically sourced.
Ah. Well in that case I think the complaining person may have a point. "Internet scraping" image generators such as DALL-E have been widely disparaged for potentially scraping copyrighted material - your generated art may be derived from protected work and you are now selling it as your own original creation, which obviously isn't cool. The unimpeachably ethical route would be to use an image generator that did not scrape randomly but only used a dataset of verified public domain images, or other images that are used with permission. Those generators are out there; I used one for a while (until it shut down).

Note I am not a lawyer nor even an AI law enthusiast, so I apologize if my information is out of date or if you've heard it all before. Hell, I may be completely wrong and I hope you have looked into it more than I have - but if the extend of your research truly is "Ehhh I think DALL-E is fine" then you might want to think twice.

EDIT: Well I am full of shit. DALL-E does indeed claim to use only public domain sources sooooo yep I am out of date. Carry on bro!

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
EDIT: Well I am full of shit. DALL-E does indeed claim to use only public domain sources sooooo yep I am out of date. Carry on bro!
still, when artists will be banned from looking at other artists work so they will never copy anything?
This whole argument sounds insane to me in first place

Zombra

Patron
still, when artists will be banned from looking at other artists work so they will never copy anything?
This whole argument sounds insane to me in first place
I don't want to ruin this thread with AI talkin', so all I'll say is I think both sides have valid points.

Zombra

Patron
minor drama
My comments got deleted too and comments closed, except the reviewer added an edit with even more lying flames declaring she is right. Reported her to Steam for misinformation.
TrumpDisgusting.png

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
minor drama
My comments got deleted too and comments closed, except the reviewer added an edit with even more lying flames declaring she is right. Reported her to Steam for misinformation.
TrumpDisgusting.png

Yeah I noticed lol. Whatever, I'm gonna take the high road.

Some people just will go to any lengths to win an inconsequential internet argument. It's frankly disappointing.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Whatever, I'm gonna take the high road.
Which is to make him a recurring enemy in your game who keeps acting like his record of ignominious defeats does not exist and shoots every minion of his that produces evidence to the contrary?
You think this moron warrants more effort than Scorpia?

https://library.harvard.edu/statement-des-destinees-de-lame

Harvard Library has removed human skin from the binding of a copy of Arsène Houssaye’s book Des destinées de l’âme, held at Houghton Library.

[...]
In the course of its review, the library noted several ways in which its stewardship practices failed to meet the level of ethical standards to which it subscribes. Until relatively recently, the library has made the book available to anyone who asked for it, regardless of their reason for wishing to consult it. Library lore suggests that decades ago, students employed to page collections in Houghton’s stacks were hazed by being asked to retrieve the book without being told it included human remains. In 2014, following the scientific analysis that confirmed the book to be bound in human skin, the library published posts on the Houghton blog that utilized a sensationalistic, morbid, and humorous tone that fueled similar international media coverage.

Harvard Library acknowledges past failures in its stewardship of the book that further objectified and compromised the dignity of the human being whose remains were used for its binding. We apologize to those adversely affected by these actions.

mediocrepoet

Patron
https://library.harvard.edu/statement-des-destinees-de-lame

Harvard Library has removed human skin from the binding of a copy of Arsène Houssaye’s book Des destinées de l’âme, held at Houghton Library.

[...]
In the course of its review, the library noted several ways in which its stewardship practices failed to meet the level of ethical standards to which it subscribes. Until relatively recently, the library has made the book available to anyone who asked for it, regardless of their reason for wishing to consult it. Library lore suggests that decades ago, students employed to page collections in Houghton’s stacks were hazed by being asked to retrieve the book without being told it included human remains. In 2014, following the scientific analysis that confirmed the book to be bound in human skin, the library published posts on the Houghton blog that utilized a sensationalistic, morbid, and humorous tone that fueled similar international media coverage.

Harvard Library acknowledges past failures in its stewardship of the book that further objectified and compromised the dignity of the human being whose remains were used for its binding. We apologize to those adversely affected by these actions.

So... like. Whoever it was got made into a book. I think it's well beyond the point of being concerned about anon's dignity.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
So somebody actually beat the first boss on the hardest difficulty options. And they're not super mad at me?

Lowkey surprised. Might have to buff the boss or something.

Zombra

Patron
So somebody actually beat the first boss on the hardest difficulty options. And they're not super mad at me?

Lowkey surprised. Might have to buff the boss or something.
Just add a new difficulty where enemies do 10x more damage and the player does 90% less than current hardest. Feel free to repeat this step as many times as you need to.

Elttharion

Learned

If you want to check it out: https://steamcommunity.com/id/cyberweasel89/recommended/2610440/

Lol. The life of a gamedev is never boring.

:popcorn:
Thanks for the free entertainment, that dude had some pretty funny reviews on his profile lmao.

I can't really enjoy this game because the forced ruler-shaped body types is giving me dysphoria when the NPCs are allowed to have curves and boobs but the players aren't.

I checked with the devs and they have no plans to add body types to character customization, so I can't enjoy this game without feeling dysphoria...
417.0 hrs on record

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I'm getting reports that people don't know they can level up because the bonfire maiden knock-off is off-putting.

1712027463793.png

Man, it's gonna be awkward when you start fucking her.

:D :D :D

mediocrepoet

Patron
Actually out of curiosity, Tyranicon, whether in this game or your others, how often would you say the lewd stuff is tongue in cheek vs. coomer bait?

Mostly wondering because...

For the time I had played Memoirs to try it out, the scene where you meet the matron whore or whatever and have the reply: "Oh man! I shouldn't have brought all this lube!" cracked me up. It's also the sort of joke I'd make in real life, so I thought it was great.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Actually out of curiosity, Tyranicon, whether in this game or your others, how often would you say the lewd stuff is tongue in cheek vs. coomer bait?

Mostly wondering because...

For the time I had played Memoirs to try it out, the scene where you meet the matron whore or whatever and have the reply: "Oh man! I shouldn't have brought all this lube!" cracked me up. It's also the sort of joke I'd make in real life, so I thought it was great.

Dunno, probably 50:50.

Stoned Ape

Savant
I'm not sure about how I feel about that purple thing on the side of her face. The art style clashes with the rest of the image and it kind of looks a bit like a 3d asset that's been photoshopped on (especially the eye and teeth). It probably makes me feel more uneasy with it than I would if it were drawn in the same style, so that might be a good thing if that's what you're going for.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom