Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

Rhobar121

Scholar
Grounded and Penistent were both succesful and noticeably both were made without old guard involvement.
Those games were led by Sawyer and Brennecke, the director/lead designer and the lead programmer of Pillars of Eternity.
None of them are RPGs and don't have extensive mechanics, so Sawyer had nothing to screw up.
Moral: Obsidian can't make a good selling RPG.

Grounded works as a way to get people interested in XBOX game pass. I formatted my computer and it was a big presence in the ad for that service.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Inxile seems to have more positive community perception about their next project than Obsidian.
That's only because they've been wise enough to lay low after the Numenera debacle I think.
InXile went from disaster with Numenera in 2017 to great success with Wasteland 3, even managing to recapture the hearts & minds of RPG Codex, which named it GotY 2020. Obsidian, by contrast, has been only a disappointment since Fallout: New Vegas, with the sole exception of non-RPG Grounded.

vWqQGSr.png

Inxile seems to have more positive community perception about their next project than Obsidian.
That's only because they've been wise enough to lay low after the Numenera debacle I think.
InXile went from disaster with Numenera in 2017 to great success with Wasteland 3, even managing to recapture the hearts & minds of RPG Codex, which named it GotY 2020. Obsidian, by contrast, has been only a disappointment since Fallout: New Vegas, with the sole exception of non-RPG Grounded.

vWqQGSr.png
he can't keep geTTING AWAY WITH IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

agris

Arcane
Patron
I missed that they already started the "temper your expectations" talk.

• "Only 100 devs, we're super small indies really"
  • "This isn't AAA, more like AA, fr"
  • "It's a medium-sized project of only a few hundred mil, no biggie"

Extrapolating from these, we can probably expect more along these lines

• "Plz don't compare us to BG3, nobody can be as naturally talented as belgians"
  • "Also BG3 is made by the devil"
  • "Good combat is technologically impossible"
  • "We spent the balancing budget on VO"
  • "Toxic gamers want us to crunch"
  • "The Living Lands is only a 4km square, lore is tying our hands"
  • "It's more of a linear action adventure visual novel"
  • "Yes you can have sexual relations with the bear, no romances tho"

It's over.
That's the most annoying thing about Obsidian. From a company that players (normies and grogs alike) had hopes for when it came to what games they release, we are down to keeping fingers crossed that the next game will have at least some redeeming qualities.

All on account of bad management and negative selection, which chased away or neutered anyone with talent who has ever worked at the company.
don't keep fingers crossed, it's been over for midsidian since FNV.

move on, your energies are best spent elsewhere. these threads only provide life-nourishing schadenfreude now

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Showing off the quality of the bowel movements produced by their food is a bold move.

AfterVirtue

Literate
they're compromised

"Food Stylist"????

:whatho:

Obsidian, by contrast, has been only a disappointment since Fallout: New Vegas
Their games have a kernel of good concept, coated in the shit of their writing, and cost-cutting. If you squint, it can pass for a good game.
Be kind, what those "good concept" would be? Narratively is a nihilst mishmash of other concepts around "American gods in Eotha, but one of the "gods" is the lovechild of Tyler Durden and Lathander" - or else the daughter of American Pastoral, both "stages" at the same time; oh and souls. Or you meant gameplay?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Food Stylist
there was a point in time when all the youtube chefs were inviting food stylsts to teach them(and audience) how to make visually better looking food.
90% of the time it was about dropping edible flowers or some other crap. Notably I see no flowers above, that stylist in question might be fake

AfterVirtue

Literate
Look, i like to cook. i find it like alchemy. If you do it good, it looks good. If it need "styling" or whatever it is called, it was not good enough. Or it is a "food marketing", like games, superficial appearence before substance.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom