Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aurora - the 4X dwarf fortress

Destroid

Arcane
Finished up the tutorial and I'm sold, designing your own everything is cool. It's got some interesting systems in place that reward standardisation, modularity, re-using parts in different ships and even standard hulls from which minor changes are made have benefits.

Also:

Terraformers can even be used as weapons. If you found a planet where you wanted to loot the industry but you didn't want to bombard or invade, you could slowly extract the oxygen from the atmosphere.

megamaid-spaceballs2-300x227.jpg

:yeah:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Yeah, the fact that you can use your construction factories to build components for your ships beforehand and then use your shipyards to only build the hull and install the aforementioned components, thus speeding up ship building considerably - is fucking amazing. Engines especially, often the biggest and most expensive part of a ship.

Or that you can refit any ship/PDC to another class of ship/PDC but it might cost you an arm and a leg - I'm no refitting my original missile bases to a proper TN-PDC and it's more expensive to refit them than it would have been to build new ones but refitting them saves minerals and with a conventional start, minerals are more valuable than money to me, at the moment.

Or the fact that the crew of your scrapped ships go back to the general pool, retaining their experience level! Thus the new ship will not have completely green crew but instead has veterans assigned here and there.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Yeah, Aurora is awesome. I do hope they implement some interface streamlining in the future, and have a proper website.

tindrli

Arcane
asper said:
Yeah, Aurora is awesome. I do hope they implement some interface streamlining in the future, and have a proper website.

well that doesnt change the fact that i cant even install the damn thing!!!!! :rpgcodex:

tindrli

Arcane
as well i wonder. since im trying to install it on the machine on my work and its windows 7 i wonder does anyone knows if i need to have this particular file integrated in windows or it installs it self through other applications coz i tryed to find it by entering SYSINFO.OCX in a win 7 search function and it didn't gave any results. maybe its hidden dont know... damn it

jiduthie

Educated
tindrli said:
as well i wonder. since im trying to install it on the machine on my work and its windows 7 i wonder does anyone knows if i need to have this particular file integrated in windows or it installs it self through other applications coz i tryed to find it by entering SYSINFO.OCX in a win 7 search function and it didn't gave any results. maybe its hidden dont know... damn it

http://www.techtalkz.com/windows-98-200 ... g-inv.html

Sysinfo.ocx is a part of visual basic, googling should work wonders here. Don't pay any attention to the guy in that thread saying some company wants 40 bucks for it. You should be able to find it either by itself or as part of a redistributable.

For instance this: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... x?id=20429 is likely to include it and might even register it for you, but I'm not positive of that. Again, googling.

Anyone else notice that VB devs are always failing to include/notify about their dependencies?

jiduthie

Educated
GarfunkeL said:
Do you have admin privilege for that computer? It's not going to install correctly without them.

Ahh good point, that might be whats messing it up, hadn't thought of it.

If you're still close by Garfunkel, how the hell do I create a new class of ship? I can't seem to find the "New" button as referenced in the tutorial anywhere. Its not a resolution problem.

Edit: It IS my resolution. Apparently VB won't even bother drawing buttons if the vertical space isn't enough. Two 1440x900 monitors apparently aren't enough.

Further Edit: Gah, forgot how awful standard resolutions are on a widescreen monitor. I think I've hit the end of my enthusiasm for this game.

Destroid

Arcane
F5 brings up the ship design screen. Bottom left has the 'new' button which will create a new class. Alt-n will do the job too.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
jiduthie said:
Edit: It IS my resolution. Apparently VB won't even bother drawing buttons if the vertical space isn't enough. Two 1440x900 monitors apparently aren't enough

It is. I play this on my 1280x800 laptop quite successfully. When you first launch the game, you get that main window-bar thingy, click "Game Parameters" and "Reduced Windows". That should help a lot.

DakaSha

Arcane
If you check the first page you will see my rage about that utterly retarded design decision.

scratchmonkey

Educated
If anybody else has that SYSINFO.OCX issue, the problem is probably that you're trying to install 5.50 or 5.52 on their own. They're patches and you need to have a full installation (4.91 at time of writing) set up first.

tindrli

Arcane
scratchmonkey said:
If anybody else has that SYSINFO.OCX issue, the problem is probably that you're trying to install 5.50 or 5.52 on their own. They're patches and you need to have a full installation (4.91 at time of writing) set up first.

THAT MUST BE IT!!!!!! :salute:

Mr. Scratch!! Thank you

downloading 4.91

baronjohn

Cipher
I installed it without problems on Linux. Maybe it's time you guys stop playing with your Wintendo and use a real operating system?

DakaSha

Arcane
baronjohn said:
I installed it without problems on Linux. Maybe it's time you guys stop playing with your Wintendo and use a real operating system?

lol you made an OS post :D

jiduthie

Educated
GarfunkeL said:
It is. I play this on my 1280x800 laptop quite successfully. When you first launch the game, you get that main window-bar thingy, click "Game Parameters" and "Reduced Windows". That should help a lot.

Oh cool that does help. Still, why Visual Basic? It's not even an OO language is it? I can't imagine what benefit over another "easy" language, like Python or Java, it might have.

jiduthie

Educated
baronjohn said:

Isn't there one of those Internet Laws that states if, at any time, people are discussing computer problems on web fora, as the length of the conversation increases the probability that some asshole with Linux will proselytize approaches one?

If not, consider it hereby entered into the Book.

baronjohn

Cipher
jiduthie said:
baronjohn said:

Isn't there one of those Internet Laws that states if, at any time, people are discussing computer problems on web fora, as the length of the conversation increases the probability that some asshole with Linux will proselytize approaches one?

If not, consider it hereby entered into the Book.
Well, an infinite random string contains every finite string possible, so this seems a bit too trivial for the Book.

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
MCA Project: Eternity
I'm having trouble getting Aurora working myself. I can install the game and the patch, but when I start up a game and go to design a ship, it won't let my add components. I then get a string of error messages. Anyone have any idea whats wrong?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom