Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aurora - the 4X dwarf fortress

Ruprekt

Scholar
I played Stars! so the interface isn't a deal breaker. Having to replace files in /system is tho... how much of a pain is this to get working with 64bit windows?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Awesome.

So I built a bunch of mass drivers to ship on the other planets and moons in Sol. I accidentally automated my freighter task group to ferry them around - which meant that Earth was left without a single one to receive incoming mineral packets. As soon as I realized this, I ordered the freighters to turn around but it would take them 23 hours to get back to Earth and unload the mass driver. In panic, I check if there's any incoming stuff and...

There was a 3 ton mineral packet coming from Mars - only little over four hours away.

BOOM!
Sol,Earth hit by 1 points of damage. Casualties: 0.1m. Industrial Damage: Ordnance Factory: 1
Sol,Earth Environmental Update: Radiation Level: 0 Dust Level: 1

Is there a single other 4X-game where this is possible? :lol:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
That sounds pretty fucking awesome. Not 'mother throws her baby into a chasm after watching her husband run through the dining hall on fire and die after igniting the booze stockpiles' awesome, but still pretty damned good.

Cassidy

Arcane
Make custom civ with swastika as flag, german names for researchers and spaceship commanders.

Make another AI-controlled civ with Israel's flag and Jews.

Invade it, terraform Zyklon-B Methane into its atmosphere.

PLANETARY GAS CHAMBER!!!

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Malakal said:
Tried it. Uh. Some graphics would be nice, sprites or something. It feels like "playing" excel.

Seems alright if you have time and determination to get into this.

This, I remember trying it a while ago but I didn't get too far because that enterprise-like UI is too off-putting for me.

DakaSha

Arcane
every time i start it up i just end up quitting thinking: 'Use your fucking coding skills and make a playable/fun version yourself'
Of course ill prob never do that but i cant help thinking it would be more productive (and more fun) to just write my own version.

And the reason i think that is because the game feels like data entry :-/

Destroid

Arcane
Ruprekt said:
I played Stars! so the interface isn't a deal breaker. Having to replace files in /system is tho... how much of a pain is this to get working with 64bit windows?

Very easy? I just followed the install instructions and it loaded up fine for me.

How long do the turns take to process for you? It was taking something like one minute to process a day, which seemed like an excessively long time.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
GUI is pretty horrible and takes quite a bit to get used to but if you are fan of the genre, it's worth it.

Civilian liners can build their own ships, based on your commercial designs - I have one company shuttling colonists to Mars. Which of course made the living domes overcrowded, as terraforming isn't anywhere near complete yet. At first I thought of having to build shit-ton of infrastructure on Earth and ship it to Mars but then I stumbled on the "civilian contract" screen, which allowed me to make a public, commercial contract to create 2,100 pieces of infrastructure and to ship it to Mars - enough room for 10 million colonists.

And vóila, the same company that was transporting colonists, immediately bought two freighters and is now happily fulfilling the contract - meaning I don't have to worry about Mars any more, except watch over the terraforming process.

Not only that but three different Earth mining companies have gone out to the asteroid field and established commercial mining complexes there - since I'm starving for minerals, I immediately purchased all of their output for government usage and since I get to tax their profits, I even get some of that money back :smug:

My fleet at the moment:
  • 35x Trafalgar-class Asteroid Mining ships (10,700 tons)
  • 2x Iron Duke-class Colony ships (10,650 tons)
  • 16x Upholder-class Freighters (8,250 tons)
  • 2x Edward VII-class Tankers (7,100 tons)
  • 4x Agincourt-class Geological Survey ships (6,100 tons) - these were recently refitted with new engines that improved fuel efficiency
  • 2x County-class Gravitational Survey ships (3,000 tons)

Must.keep.playing...

Oh, the turns take between 15-45 seconds, 30-day intervals, with automated sub-pulse length. I read a post or two during that time :D

DakaSha

Arcane
see i read your posts.. and want to play again.. then i open a new game.. realize how it takes me forever to just do a bunch of micromanagement shit to just get started.. and quit xD
Gonna try it again now :P

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
And my first two Jump-capable ships are ready. They are heading to the two jump points the GSVs have surveyed. Very soon I'll make the first "hyper"-jump in human history and explore two other solar systems!

Meanwhile, one of the engines in my troop ship blew up thanks to malfunction.

baronjohn

Cipher
How the hell do I make a ship in this game? :oops: There's nothing to construct in the shipyard even though I selected the option when making a new game and I can't figure out how to "save" a design I make.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Designs are automatically saved, as are any changes made to them until you start building them - then you cannot change them any more.

Shipyards have 1 or more slipways. For every hull you need 1 slipway. Shipyard can only be tooled for a single design at a time, though it is possible to be building one design and be retooling for another at the same time (which is stupid and should not be possible). Anyway, your shipyard probably does not have enough tonnage for the design you want to build - hence it doesn't shop up in the "re-tool for class X" menu. So:

1) F2 for industrial production
2) Click "Manage Shipyards"
3) Click one of your shipyards
4) Click on "Task Type" on the upper, "Complex Task" portion of the window
5) Select "Retool for selected class"
6) Click on "Ship Class"
7) Select the class you want to build
8) Wait for retooling to be completed
9) Click on "Task type" on the lower, "Simple task" portion of the window
10) Select "Construction"
11) Ensure that "Task Group" reads "Shipyard TG"
12) Click "Add task" and you can click it as many times as many slipways the SY has - it'll be greyed out when you run out of slipways
Vóila!

Meanwhile, I've now explored several solar systems:
Ross 154, a young and tiny Red Dwarf star turned out to not have any companions at all. Completely empty system with not even any gravitational fluctuations. A bitter disappointment for Jump TG #2.
Lalande 21185, another Red Dwarf star, turned out to be just as lonely. However, Jump TG #1 found two gravitational anomalies, the sort of required for jump engines to work! Hurray! Thus, Terran Confederation went ahead to find
Gliese 563.2 and Giclas 9-38, both binary systems with several gas giants and Super-Jovians with dozens of moons and hundreds of asteroids! Initial scans some Terrestrial-type moons, just screaming for terraforming. As soon as larger jump engines come on-line, the geological survey ships, sorium harvesters and fleet oilers and colliers will descend upon them both.

Also, terraforming @ Mars is going great:
Due to increased temperatures, the ice sheet on Mars has melted, increasing the Albedo from 1 to 1.015. This has caused a sudden temperature increase from -27.9C to -24.2C.
Mars now has 0.007 Nitrogen, 0.0654 CO2 and 0.1683 O2 atmosphere, for total pressure of 0.2407 - compared to Earth, which has 0.79 Nitrogen, 0.2 O2 and 0.01 Argon, for total pressure of 1. Mars also recently broke the 10 million population-frontier and has now a small but burgeoning service sector, employing over three million people! Not just sweaty infrastructure technicians and environmental engineers, augmented by few mining managers and fleet officers!

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Yes, LP is in order, this game sounds really awesome, I just need somebody to draw me into it.

Heresiarch

Prophet
You guys must be kidding me by comparing this game to DF. It feels more like comparing Zork to Oblivion.

Destroid

Arcane
Heresiarch said:
You guys must be kidding me by comparing this game to DF. It feels more like comparing Zork to Oblivion.

It's not so much the gameplay as the position it occupies in the genre. DF is the super complex world simulator/city builder, with no graphics and an obtuse interface. Aurora is the super complex galaxy simulator/empire builder, with no graphics and an obtuse interface. The games should appeal to the same kind of people.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Destroid said:
Heresiarch said:

It's not so much the gameplay as the position it occupies in the genre. DF is the super complex world simulator/city builder, with no graphics and an obtuse interface. Aurora is the super complex galaxy simulator/empire builder, with no graphics and an obtuse interface. The games should appeal to the same kind of people.

What I mean is this game's interface feels even more crazier than DF. At least in DF there is some graphics which I can sort it out what is what and the UI at least feel a bit like a game. But it seems Aurora is a massive pure excel...thing. I can play DF very well, but for Aurora...well, I hope someone can make a LP out of it to show how good it actually is. :thumbsup:

Shannow

Waster of Time
Due to increased temperatures, the ice sheet on Mars has melted, increasing the Albedo from 1 to 1.015. This has caused a sudden temperature increase from -27.9C to -24.2C.
WTF?
The Albedo is the ratio of reflected to absorbed light. "1" means 100% of the incomming light is reflected back into space. It's not possible to reflect more light than comes in. And if it were it'd further reduce the planet's temperature not increase it. :x

Anyway, reading a LP sounds far more interesting than actually playing the game :)

GalCiv2 isn't even spreadsheet, it's just bad. I tried getting back to it (I used to think it was okay), but maybe playing Pdox games for so long made a lot of the mechanics seem completely shitty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom