Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are You Going To Play Baldur's Gate 3?

Are you going to play Baldur's Gate 3?

• Total voters

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Played BG3 for 20 hours and fucked 0 animals so far.
being denied good looking straight girls
Shadowheart is pretty hot
zoophilia, lesibans, homosexuals, fetishizing minorities, pegging etc.
I think the game is what you make of it. If you want to do these things then I guess you have the option otherwise it’s easy to avoid.

You have a balanced take, that leans towards being a cuck of sorts. I think a game that features all these sexualities , trailers that highlight them, marketing that promotes them etc is going to have some backlash. A game where journalist are celebrating the degeneracy. A game that is from a beloved franchise with a rich history, that has been taken over by people who actively dislilke straight people, who want to make sure that their portion of the alphabet pie is being shown. There has been a lot of links to threads, pictures, where gays, furrys, blm feitsh types, are happy that straight normal people are upset by these things. Its a big victory, for the lgbtq type people, whenever a game lacks any significant, straight romances. It's about exclusion for them. So of course people get upset by these things.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
What if, hypothetically
What the fuck are you talking about?
My point is that I'll play Starfield, and judge it based on how compelling it is to play, and not based on how many gays there are in it. I wouldn't deny myself a fun game, in order to pretend my consooooomption of media in any way influences people I disagree with on politics. Which is what retards ITT are doing, for the most part.
Not playing a good game only hurts you, and nobody else. It pushes no political project, accomplishes no social goals, achieves no progress towards gassing the kikes or whatever you dream of.
Interesting points. All horribly wrong.

1. You don't consider any of:
- characters
- writing
- story
as part of a game you are playing and find fun? You must be the most hardcore combatfag (or even systemfag) on all the Codex!
The degeneracy (and the "many gays") are usually in those parts, you know, not in mechanics.
Now, please, make an effort to imagine a person who don't find "many gays", transex or descriptions and cinematics of degenerate sexual practices "fun" at all. In fact finds them repulsing and distasteful. They kill his enjoyment. How is that even possible? Why everyone can't have fun having those thing in a game? You really don't get it, do you?

2. Let's make another hypothetical scenario. If there was, hypothetically, a game where murdering, torturing and shitting on small children was shown in detail and praised - you would play it just the same, on its goods mechanics merits alone? To have fun and not "be hurt" by not playing it? Am I correct?

3. Not playing a single game can't hurt anybody at all. Even more so playing one containing... say, questionable narrative and values. In fact i posit that playing such game can be harmful - especially to unformed minds. And this is a mass entertainment.

4. There are tons of games to play. And books to read. And things to see. And women to... No one can do it all. We need to prioritize. Again, hypothetically, a Codexer with taste have several games that he wants to play that could potentially be good. However one of those games is from a developer he finds mediocre and is a type of production he finds almost always bad AND that has elements in the story and writing he finds distasteful and even abhorrent for one reason or another. Which game should he (not) choose?

5. You always claim that there is no difference to anything other than himself if someone doesn't play a game. This is wrong. It is not about just playing. It is also about money. If one don't buy a game and perhaps even make someone reconsider buying, he effectively make the author of the content he finds abhorrent and harmful less successful - in effect making such content less attractive to be made in the future. Of curse we enter the issue of effectiveness of such methods today but that another matter entirely.

I know that you are a troll but whatever, i'm bored

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
whenever a game lacks any significant, straight romances
the game has lots of straight romances, you're on crack or what
Which of the companions is not bisexual?
If they're with my MC they are always straight, seems the problem is on your end
Are you going to answer the question?
Sure, all the romances are straight if you play it that way. If you don't, thats on you

Sure, all the romances are straight if you play it that way. If you don't, thats on you
Ok, so none of the companions are straight. Could've just answered it that way to start with especially since you are supposed to represent the ideology that believes there's nothing wrong with that.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Ok, so none of the companions are straight. Could've just answered it that way to start with especially since you are supposed to represent the ideology that there's nothing wrong with that.
It depends on your character. If you play a man, all male companions are gay and all women are straight, if you play as a women its reversed. The characters aren't inherently bisexual, its just coded so that all of them are inherently horny for the MC.

Ok, so none of the companions are straight. Could've just answered it that way to start with especially since you are supposed to represent the ideology that there's nothing wrong with that.
It depends on your character. If you play a man, all male companions are gay and all women are straight, if you play as a women its reversed. The characters aren't inherently bisexual, its just coded so that all of them are inherently horny for the MC.
And if you play co-op with one player male, and the other female?

No companion in BG3 is straight.

Looks like you fell into my rhetorical trap. Checkmate atheist.

Akachi

Educated
I gave BG3 a try a couple days ago, had most of the day free and was thinking there's such a lack of critical opinions toward it and so much hype, I wanted to see for myself if I'm wrong. Maybe I have the wrong idea about it, nothing about it draws me in and it looks completely bland and uninteresting to me, as well as like a poor adaptation of tabletop 5e (which unlike a lot of the Codex I actually like and think is the only one after 1e/2e worth playing, it's closest to them out of any of the newer editions), but I could be wrong, and obviously I would like to be given I like both RPGs and D&D, so in spite of my almost entirely negative view toward it, I went in giving it benefit of doubt with cautious optimism.

Unsurprisingly, I still ended up disappointed and although I had some fun for a little bit, it all added up to being worse than I thought, considering the biggest issues for me were all gameplay ones. Most of its flaws seem to get little to no attention in favour of culture war issues. I went to write my thoughts here and realised I could probably write a full review, but nowhere has user reviews anymore that I know of and I don't know if people are still interested in those anyway. So here is the tl;dr summary of what could have been a full review with more details, in case it's helpful for anyone else who is tempted to try BG3 and wants a critical opinion:
  • Camera controls are subpar and you can't zoom out very far, making the camera feel trapped inside a box and leading to abuse of panning to try to see anything. Noticeable pop-in when you do this; NPCs will load into existence and appear as you approach even on max settings running on a fast NVME SSD.
  • Big, empty maps for you to play a top down walking simulator trying to find PoIs while fighting with the camera; reminiscent of NWN2 in this respect, but worse, as NWN2 camera was at least designed for PC with further zoom and the areas tighter and more focused. Bland level design that tries to fool you with pretty art, level designers presumed absent and deprecated by Larian as with most devs nowadays. Act I map is a generic fantasy beach, just like you may have seen in Divinity: OS 1&2.
  • Combat is overrated and a drag with all the fun of 5e combat taken out to make a streamlined, gutted, downgraded version of the tabletop of this edition. Almost every change from the 5e tabletop is for the worse. Range of weapons and spells neutered to the point you can't expect to engage in ranged combat from across the same room you're in, many combat options removed completely including very major ones like grappling which is central to melee play, and none of the extra action options from the DMG like using your attack to disarm an opponent are included. Basic aspects of combat, such as moving past combatants, hand usage, and spell components, are gutted or replaced with something far worse.
  • Poor balancing as a result of changes from tabletop. There are first and second level spells with effects unable to be obtained in the tabletop until fourth level spells and higher, and some that were merely good were buffed beyond reason and made essential. This is not to mention changes like what they did to wizard multiclassing. Larian is worse at balancing than Jeremy Crawford.
  • Larian's encounter design shows a failure to read the DMG and results in tedious repetitive combats. CR is equated to level, rather than being an average challenge for a party of four with levels equal to the CR, and as such monsters are displayed as having levels instead of CR or XP values. Complete absence of CR 1/8, 1/4, and 1/2 enemies. Even if you disable Karmic dice, the enemies will still cheat as from what I saw you will not find any below their average HP die roll.
  • Dialogue and writing were the parts that least turned me off, main story was moderately intriguing to me with everything else being bad to bland. If I could stomach the gameplay, I may have played a little longer. Wokeness isn't as in-your-face as you might fear, but I can't at all agree with people who act as if it's not noticeable since the game is California fantasy and everything is noticeably written from that 21st-century Western neoliberal PoV. Maybe that's not "wokeness" to you, but to me there's no difference and that's a major part of what's been killing fantasy for a long time, since even when it's not politically offensive, it's boring.
  • C&C and reactivity is exaggerated and overrated. Most is flavour and unsubstantial. Character creation choices don't matter, even if you play a Lolthite drow, the only reaction you get is flavour text from everyone that does nothing. Don't expect companions to interrupt dialogue and make judgements of your moral choices, all you get is some text saying whether they "approve" or not.
  • Overall a much worse and less faithful virtual experience of 5e than you'd get playing with friends on a good setup of a virtual tabletop like Foundry or Fantasy Grounds. Even visual effects like darkvision and spells (at least the ones I saw in BG3) are done more faithfully with graphics more representative of them and conveying information better than this game, where e.g darkvision isn't even monochrome and hardly lets you see anything either.
In short, it has a lot more flaws than most are noticing immediately after release—many of which are small and insignificant on their own but add up combined with other flaws—and I recommend avoiding it to play an older gem of an RPG that you haven't gotten to yet instead of the shiny new hyped RPG, or better yet, playing a tabletop version of D&D with a good group. Even if BG3 appeals to you and you aren't as negative as I am toward it, you are better off avoiding it for now because mods will no doubt improve upon at least some of its problems, and you will get a better experience by not playing it at release (as usual with games).

Serus

Arcane
Patron
So they are not bisexual they are just "coded" to fuck people of both sexes. Sorry but if someone fucks a person of same sex there are only and only 2 possibilities. He/she is homo or bisexual.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
And if you play co-op with one player male, and the other female?

No companion in BG3 is straight.

Looks like you fell into my rhetorical trap. Checkmate atheist.
I have no idea, though I would be interested to see the answer, whether in co-op both players are treated equally or not. Maybe in a co-op game companions turn out to be bisexual, but again, thats on people who play the game in co-op, in single-player the companions are not.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
So they are not bisexual they are just "coded" to fuck people of both sexes. Sorry but if someone fucks a person of same sex there are only and only 2 possibilities. He/she is homo or bisexual.
Each run of the game is its own continuity, so what you do is conflate the companion orientation of different universes. Seems kinda dumb on your part, but hey if thats what you like

Combat is overrated and a drag
Can we at least all admit that this games combat is better than DoS2s? Regardless of how low of a bar that is to clear.

and none of the extra action options from the DMG like using your attack to disarm an opponent are included.
They are there, they just require either a certain subclass or weapon that's generally limited by replenishing via the rest system.

xuerebx

Erudite
Missing out on the best cRPG in years to trigger da libs xD
Not enjoying my hobbies to trigger da libs xD
Living a gray, dull, joyless and meaningless existence to trigger da libs xD

#triggered
Please don't make missing out on playing a PC game some kind of a big deal :lol:
Its not a big deal. Your activism is empty, and means nothing. You not playing a good game, which you'd probably like, won't reduce the number of men sucking dick in the world. Your sacrifice in vain, your martyrdom unnoticed, your crucifixion unattended. Even if its a small crucifixion, its an infinitely ineffective one, when the outcome of it is null.
You should follow your username. You think you can make any meaningful difference to someone's values on a forum?

I've always wondered why there are many racists homophobic bigots congregating on this forum. Perhaps because of conservative views on cRPGs (which I hold too, but that's where the similarities start and end). Anyway, no point in arguing, you'll just get tons of cuck smilies, which is a fucking stupid forum mechanic which results in an echo chamber, but whatever.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
You think you can make any meaningful difference to someone's values on a forum?

What exactly is valuable about a game showing zoophila? Are you a zoophiliac? Why would you want to change someones "values on a forum" anyways? What values are you even talking about?

Anyway, no point in arguing, you'll just get tons of cuck smilies, which is a fucking stupid forum mechanic which results in an echo chamber, but whatever.
The ratings here are just little jpgs unlike your favorite haunt Reddit, where downvotes actually reduce the visibility of a comment. Something that actually impacts the creation of an echo chamber.

Akachi

Educated
Combat is overrated and a drag
Can we at least all admit that this games combat is better than DoS2s? Regardless of how low of a bar that is to clear.
Can't really comment on that myself without bias. I didn't enjoy the writing and setting enough of DoS2 to finish it, but I enjoyed its combat much more than I did BG3's, probably since I didn't have experience with a superior version of it to compare it to.

and none of the extra action options from the DMG like using your attack to disarm an opponent are included.
They are there, they just require either a certain subclass or weapon that's generally limited by replenishing via the rest system.
So... you mean they aren't there then? :roll: Those are not the same as the action options I'm talking about. Yes, a battlemaster has a maneuver they can take to disarm an opponent (for example), but they do in the tabletop too and it's not the same as the disarm action option from the DMG. Besides that, there's also overrun, tumble, and the ability to climb onto bigger creatures. Not sure those have any equivalents, you couldn't even move through friendly combatants from what I played and had to comically jump over them instead (which Larian made take a bonus action and buffed beyond reason to where it's like Super Mario for some reason).

I've always wondered why there are many racists homophobic bigots congregating on this forum. Perhaps because of conservative views on cRPGs (which I hold too, but that's where the similarities start and end). Anyway, no point in arguing, you'll just get tons of cuck smilies, which is a fucking stupid forum mechanic which results in an echo chamber, but whatever.
There are a lot of people who don't care for the "woke" in games like BG3 who aren't any of those things, FYI. You probably misinterpret a good number of posters' views due to reading unfiltered thoughts where none of us care to put disclaimers on them (not that some don't have such views). Many have no issue with a lot of that type of stuff in BG3 in itself, it's the way it's done that bothers most people.

Akachi

Educated
DoS2... I enjoyed its combat
Well this explains a lot.
Explains what, that if you cut a sentence in half it means something other than what it said? I said I enjoyed it more than BG3, that's not a high bar to set for me.
So... you mean they aren't there then? :roll:
Yes clearly extra action disarm isn't in the game even though it is.
You're an idiot who obviously never played tabletop 5e, yet thinks you understand it better than someone who has, then wants to tell me something from tabletop is in when it's not because you don't understand what it is or what separates it from something else that sounds identical to you (because you don't know what you're talking about). Opinion discarded.

Interesting how out of everything I criticised about the game, you chose this teensy weensy tidbit about how the DMG action options weren't included and the disarm weapon attack option specifically to focus on.

xuerebx

Erudite
You think you can make any meaningful difference to someone's values on a forum?

What exactly is valuable about a game showing zoophila? Are you a zoophiliac? Why would you want to change someones "values on a forum" anyways? What values are you even talking about?
FYI I haven't played the game, but I saw the video posted here of an orca fucking a huge orc or whatever the creature was. It's so silly it's funny, that's it really. Wasn't expecting that. It's a video game, I find it difficult to get upset about these things. Unless it's something which reduces enjoyment (to me) like say infuriating UI.

Anyway I wasn't talking about that sex scene though, I mean people here always get bent up because there's gay people or black people in video games. And when I say values I mean any poster calling them fags and niggers shows your true colours (i.e. a bigot). Those are views held by religious nut jobs - I'd be surprised if anyone harbouring these comments was not religious- and then I'd be intrigued as to why they'd hold such views.

Anyway, no point in arguing, you'll just get tons of cuck smilies, which is a fucking stupid forum mechanic which results in an echo chamber, but whatever.
The ratings here are just little jpgs unlike your favorite haunt Reddit, where downvotes actually reduce the visibility of a comment. Something that actually impacts the creation of an echo chamber.

Reddit's system is also stupid. And you know nothing about what I like, but for the record, I visit the roguelikes subreddit and 2 fitness related subreddits, because these are primarily my two hobbies. Don't care for much else on Reddit. And my views are also dissimilar to the hivemind. For example, I dislike woke shit too - BUT I'm neither racist nor homophobic. Reddit and the Codex are polar opposites.

Naeius - butthurt? Try again.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom