Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News AoD Public Beta Release 2 Available

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Tried turning off the music and the game felt very hollow immediately. Footsteps not making a sound. Ambience track not playing (Is it even there in the first place). Kinda surprised.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tried turning off the music and the game felt very hollow immediately. Footsteps not making a sound. Ambience track not playing (Is it even there in the first place). Kinda surprised.

Yes, the game needs MOAR SOUND. I would make that a very high priority.

Wait...you turned off the music and you were surprised that you couldn't hear the ambience track anymore? And you felt the game became hollow immediately even though you're not sure there was even an ambience track to begin with?

1168954967732vo0.gif

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Ambience as in, sound of wind? Birds chirping overhead? Chatters in the marketplace? Sorry, maybe I'm asking too much but some modern games has separate ambience and music sliders in their options.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Ambience as in, sound of wind? Birds chirping overhead? Chatters in the marketplace? Sorry, maybe I'm asking too much but some modern games has separate ambience and music sliders in their options.
I turned off the music and could hear birds, wind and market chatter, just as you said....they just are more sparse than usual games, but that fits nicely with the desolate feel of the game.

And footsteps? Really? I play it in a semi-isometric view, footsteps would sound weird...I can't imagine playing Fallout, BG, Arcanum or other isometric games and say that footsteps sounds would be and improvment...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I turned off the music and could hear birds, wind and market chatter, just as you said....they just are more sparse than usual games, but that fits nicely with the desolate feel of the game.

And footsteps? Really? I play it in a semi-isometric view, footsteps would sound weird...I can't imagine playing Fallout, BG, Arcanum or other isometric games and say that footsteps sounds would be and improvment...

Baldur's Gate had footstep sounds.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
We have footsteps sounds, just move the camera closer.

I think you need to make them either louder, or better yet, not dependent on camera zoom distance.

After all, it's what's closer to the the character that should be louder, not what's closer to the player.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I think you need to make them either louder, or better yet, not dependent on camera zoom distance.

After all, it's what's closer to the the character that should be louder, not what's closer to the player.
I don't agree, what's closer to the character -> louder does not really work in 100% of the cases if the camera has custom zoom.. think they did it good.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

I don't agree, what's closer to the character -> louder does not really work in 100% of the cases if the camera has custom zoom.. think they did it good.

What do you mean "does not really work"? I'm saying they should make it work.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I think they should leave it relative to camera distance but I guess it's a matter of preference - I like the zoom in Civ4 then while zoomed in you hear more of the immediate surroundings (voices, work being done), and while zoomed out you hear more ambient sounds like wind, trees.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I think they should leave it relative to camera distance but I guess it's a matter of preference - I like the zoom in Civ4 then while zoomed in you hear more of the immediate surroundings (voices, work being done), and while zoomed out you hear more ambient sounds like wind, trees.

Yeah, I guess that model could be nice too - if there was enough sound to fill it all up.

BothEyesShut

Novice
Excuse me if this post belongs in a different thread, but I can't find a more appropriate one.

Playing my AoD beta now, and very impressed by it, but should I be able to leave the village? There are plenty of screencaps all over the interwebs showing lots of cool stuff, but I can't find any combat, let alone a way out of town.

Could someone please explain in short what I should be expecting from the beta at this point?

Niektory

one of some
Patron
Excuse me if this post belongs in a different thread, but I can't find a more appropriate one.

Playing my AoD beta now, and very impressed by it, but should I be able to leave the village? There are plenty of screencaps all over the interwebs showing lots of cool stuff, but I can't find any combat, let alone a way out of town.

Could someone please explain in short what I should be expecting from the beta at this point?

There are 2 small locations outside Teron, you'll be able to go there using the map (press M) after you learn about them. Some questlines have more combat, some have less. Depends on the background you chose at the character creation, your skills and choices you make in quests. It's possible to finish the demo without combat. Check the journal (press J) if you don't know what to do. There are also some encounters you can stumble upon when walking around town.

hiver

What background you chose when starting the game and what happened to you at the start?

+what Niektory said

BothEyesShut

Novice
Well, I started as a Drifter, and I got this old map that I'm supposed to bring to Feng so he can appraise it. Also, I helped some dude get his family inside the gates by paying his way, and he gave me some armor. Neat!

Can't get in to see Feng, though, because the door is on the wrong side of the isometric perspective for me and I can't for the life of me figure out how to turn the camera.

But anyhow, this is probably way off topic by now and belongs on the AoD site forums anyways. I just wanted to check what state of development this game is in. Are there, like, hours and hours of gameplay completed already? Or are we going to have to wait for this poor soul to contribute another couple years into this labor of love before we can purchase and play the whole thing?

Niektory

one of some
Patron
Well, I started as a Drifter, and I got this old map that I'm supposed to bring to Feng so he can appraise it. Also, I helped some dude get his family inside the gates by paying his way, and he gave me some armor. Neat!

Can't get in to see Feng, though, because the door is on the wrong side of the isometric perspective for me and I can't for the life of me figure out how to turn the camera.

But anyhow, this is probably way off topic by now and belongs on the AoD site forums anyways. I just wanted to check what state of development this game is in. Are there, like, hours and hours of gameplay completed already? Or are we going to have to wait for this poor soul to contribute another couple years into this labor of love before we can purchase and play the whole thing?
Hold the middle mouse button to rotate the camera, or the Q and E keys.
There is a lot of content in the demo (about 30% of the full game). Individual playthroughs can be short, but there are many different paths to take so replaying is encouraged.

hiver

+ there are hours and hours of gameplay in the demo alone. You just need to try playing with different backgrounds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom