Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any exploration based RPG to recommend ??

deama

Prophet
red dead redemption 2, starts a bit rail roaded, but after a bit it opens up to sandboxy once you setup your first base in the summer time, at that point you can start exploring most of it. Or just download an endgame savefile after the tutorial.

Kingdom come deliverance

I thought assassin's creed odyssey was fun for the exploration and had some secret places hidden. It's got plenty of settings so you can just disable the markers and most of the hud.

what about that stalker gamma mod?

You might be able to get some decent stuff out of daggerfall unity + a good mod list.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Alright, but if you ever change your mind, it is basically Chinese Gothic, but turn-based/party-based/wuxia setting.

arepo

Novice
I have just finished Avernum: Escape from the Pit and I found the exploration in this game superb. In this respect it's definitely the best isometric RPG I've played so far.

Otherwise, there are some great suggestions in this thread already. Personally I'd say the Gothic games are the top of the line when it comes to exploration.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Alright, but if you ever change your mind, it is basically Chinese Gothic, but turn-based/party-based/wuxia setting.
Ohhh it looks very interesting but i don't know chink runes.
Yeah, that's why I said that I can guide you to set it up. It doesn't require much to install English mod.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2153717415&searchtext=

One funny thing is that you might have to change your windows time format to Chinese, but you can reset it any time.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Just look at the Top 100 and play the ones that you haven't, like NEO Scavenger.

Modron

Arcane
I loved this game as a kid. Tried it recently and only if wasn't so overly-full of random encounters.
Isn't that an early rpgmaker engine, couldn't you just speed through them with cheat engine? Biggest sin of the newest rpgmaker engines is while you can speed them up but they tend to become unstable pretty quickly as a result.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Eh, it's good for a multiplayer game I suppose, but it's like comparing duplo blocks with a CNC machine.
I haven't played C:DDA in a while, but your post has me interested again. Is the Bright Nights fork the definitive version nowadays?
I wouldn't say it's definitive, but I favoured heavily the direction it was headed in. The main branch started to lean in the dirction of dwarf fortress with it's excessive simulation over gameplay, doing things like making food mushy when frozen then thawed, and simulating hot air and smoke, things nobody really cared about but which caused performance issues. Bright Nights still rolls in main branch changes that are considered worthy. You can look at an overview of the changes here: https://docs.cataclysmbn.org/en/game/changelog/stable_01/

Disclaimer- I haven't personally played in quite a while, YMMV and things may have changed etc. etc. But I recall being very excited when I discovered the fork, and it's grown considerably since then. I was particularly concerned about the way stamina was implemented in the base game; where they decided running ~100 steps or so should leave even a great athlete a helpless wheezing mess that can't defend himself or even continue walking until he's sat down for a while. TBH I feel like even BN doesn't give the player enough credit when it comes to the stamina mechanics, but it's still leagues better, largely through the removal of the winded mechanic entirely.

The best exploration RPGs are first-person because they're the most immersive. All of these are full of hidden paths, treasures, and neat things that reward curiosity.

Arx Fatalis. The entire game is a labyrinth of secrets to spelunk.
M&M Dark Messiah is linear, but the dungeons are expansive with lots of paths and hidden secrets.
Any given Deus Ex.
System Shock 2
Prey. It's like any of the above and highly polished.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
fantadomat you got some truly excellent suggestions in this thread, but this:

maxresdefault.jpg

is what you decided to go with?

I might change my vote in the Retard thread.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Just to clarify, do you means exploration-based RPGs specifically (since you posted this in the RPG forum), or any sort of exploration-based game?
Well most of them are rpgs,but there is no need to be one.

In that case, I really liked The Outer Wilds, a first person shooter non-violent game which is all about exploration, navigational and environmental challenges. It's got a big heart, you can tell the its a labour of love by the creators.

Betrayal at Krondor.
Excellent choice. This is one of my all time favorite RPGs. It has excellent adventuring mechanics with lots of things hidden off of the beaten path. You need your torches, shovel, rope, lockpicks, hammers, whetstone, healing herbs, rations, spyglass, and more! The survival and maintenance mechanics in it are excellent and make it a classic adventure. I remember having to turn around and return because I didn't know if I would make it back to town even if I got the loot. Disease, spoiled rations, worn equipment, attrition! It really makes finding all of the many hidden treasures feel worthwhile. I'm annoyed that I didn't suggest it.

__scribbles__

Educated
Betrayal at Krondor.
Excellent choice. This is one of my all time favorite RPGs. It has excellent adventuring mechanics with lots of things hidden off of the beaten path. You need your torches, shovel, rope, lockpicks, hammers, whetstone, healing herbs, rations, spyglass, and more! The survival and maintenance mechanics in it are excellent and make it a classic adventure. I remember having to turn around and return because I didn't know if I would make it back to town even if I got the loot. Disease, spoiled rations, worn equipment, attrition! It really makes finding all of the many hidden treasures feel worthwhile. I'm annoyed that I didn't suggest it.
You've sold me on this game. Putting it on my wishlist and getting it next sale.

Well executed strategic resource management makes all other aspects of gameplay better.

Betrayal at Krondor.
You've sold me on this game. Putting it on my wishlist and getting it next sale.

Well executed strategic resource management makes all other aspects of gameplay better.

I'm very happy for you! You know how people write, "I don't like crafting, but I like crafting in Arcanum" and then extol its virtues? That's how BaK is for survival, maintenance, and itemization. In other games, they're generally just tax and tedium. In this game is a seamless part of adventure. I almost never use NPC healing in games, as it's generally not necessary. In BaK, I actually needed to use healing services of temples to recuperate. Temples also function as fast travel and can bless your gear (for a price). I absolutely love this game. If I had a studio, it would be my #1 choice for a visual update/remaster.

Morrowind, excellent open world to explore, a classic. Mod it.

ELEX, I loved the exploration in the game. Big world with different bioms and factions. Very good quest design. Fun to explore with the jet pack.

Outward, personal favorite of mine that blends survival and adventure rpg. Big beautiful sights that requires you to plan ahead, like that you want to upgrade your backpack to carry more, bring a tent and cooking pot.. Fun build mechanics and all the game systems tie in to the core game loop. Definitve edition is excellent.

Vagrus - the riven realms. Very much to explore in this game. You play as a caravan master and need to trade, but can also become more of a fighting group, or searcher of lost treasures. A lot of reading, lore, characters and quests. A lot to explore and discover. DLCs are coming next year I think.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom