Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any exploration based RPG to recommend ??

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Scribbles and Porky covered my full list.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
This stuff is my jam. If I ever create a pretentious video essay, it'll be about exploration in video games.

Monster Sanctuary - Metroidvania/Pokemon mashup with really deep combat systems and a good difficulty curve on the harder setting. Story is quite generic and itemization isn't great, but the combat and team building more than make up for it. I include it because finding new monsters to add to the party scratches that itch, and there's some decent secrets to find scattered around.

Catacylsm Dark Days Ahead - This is my favourite current roguelike. Zombine apoclypse survival with a heavy focus on crafting systems. You can dismantle pretty much any real world object you can think of into consituent parts; turn an oven into scrap metal and heating elements, take the blade out of a lawn mower, rip apart a bed to get springs and rags, pull the seatbelts out of cars to use as rope and disassmble the rope into string, then turn those components into items depending on your level of skill and access to crafting books with relavent recipes. There are a lot of enemy variety too, ranging from riot control drones, military sniper turrets, zombies ranging from weak shamblers to cyborgs, massive hulks or various animals; strange fungal enemies and giant mutant wasps or crab things. There's no specific endgame goal, but there's a lot more to do than just survive, like augmenting yourself with cybernetics or genetic mutations, crafting custom vehicles and bases, recruiting allies to form a settlement, etc. Game is just a damned treat to explore. I recommend the Bright Nights fork; it split off with a more sensible leader after the main branch started getting a tad retarded in certain ways.

Crystal Project - This is like, the be all and end all of an exploration game for me. There's no plot to speak of, you're just dropped in the world at level 1 with access to several basic classes, and by exploring a VERY non linear open world and fighting whatever you can manage to kill, you unlock a dozen more classes (class swapping and carrying over some skills is a thing) and tons of very powerful equipment with interesting effects. Lots of little sidequests, an ungodly number of secrets and zero hand holding. Play it blind, and bring a notebook. Seriously. Graphics are ass though. There's some platforming involved but none of the mandatory platforming is difficult at all, and you get tools to trivialize almost all of it eventually. Oh, and it has a bunch of difficulty options, including stuff for the platforming stuff IIRC, if that's not your jam.

La Mulana/La Mulana 2 - Straight up metroidvania for masochists. Game is unfair, has completely ridiculous traps and puzzles no sane person would ever unravel on their own even after hundreds of hours of playtime. I watched a streamer try to finish the game unspoiled, and he spent months, hundreds of hours, and had a Trello set up with hundreds of notes and screenshots. I'd recommend going into this like I did: Completely blind, go as far as you can until you get frustrated and give up (which will be quite far, most of the puzzles and secrets aren't too ridiculous, just enough to eventually wall you) and then either look up the minimum spoiler you need to continue and carry on or abandon it as you see fit. Either way you'll get dozens of hours of memorable fun out of it. Oh, and RTFM. Boss fights can be frustrating bullshit too, but they're usually brute forcable.

If you like/don't like any of those, let me know and I can offer more tailored recommendations. I could list dozens.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
If OP has not play Bludgeons & Krakens yet, then I think it could be worth it. Game is about exploring a full open world and killing all the bosses in any order you want. Game is fast-paced. Character building and combat are good enough and the boss fights are unique, itemization is better than it looks at first and some secrets, traps, puzzles (simple and in low amount, don't worry, I get that's not what you're looking for) and quest twists enhance the pacing of the game. To be fair it ranks quite high among single character combat/exploration games in my book.

Gandalf

Arbiter
If OP has not play Bludgeons & Krakens yet, then I think it could be worth it. Game is about exploring a full open world and killing all the bosses in any order you want. Game is fast-paced. Character building and combat are good enough and the boss fights are unique, itemization is better than it looks at first and some secrets, traps, puzzles (simple and in low amount, don't worry, I get that's not what you're looking for) and quest twists enhance the pacing of the game. To be fair it ranks quite high among single character combat/exploration games in my book.
Downloaded this and it's showing me Trojan.Malware.300983.susgen, do you think it's false positive?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Downloaded this and it's showing me Trojan.Malware.300983.susgen, do you think it's false positive?
I've no idea.

Eldergamer

Barely Literate
So long time reader/gamer, first time poster.

I really enjoyed the Rainbow Moon/Rainbow Skies games for scratching the exploration/secret finding itch. Don't expect literary masterpieces here, but as far as addictive character improvement through combat/item finding, and lots of hidden things to find, both were some of the most fun I've had post Might and Magic days. Really wished the developer would have made a third game but it never happened.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Faery Tale Adventure.

Don't look guides, don't savescum with winuae/emulator of your choice. Should keep your ass from stealing kidneys for a few days at least.

Iucounu

Educated
The Long Dark encourages you to explore every nook and cranny in the hope of finding useful loot, such as a can of dog food hidden behind some furniture. Loot placement is somewhat randomized between games. There's also a lot of strategy involved to reduce risk and avoid wasting resources.

In Survival mode there's no story or quests. I can't stress enough what bliss this absence gives me these days.

deuxhero

Arcane
Morrowind. It's both a rare open world where things are actually unique and interesting, and the game balance (if you can avoid the dozens of exploits to crush the economy) pushes the player to explore in order to find good gear, since it's impossible to buy any but the most basic gear.

Casual Hero

Augur
If you're not afraid of JRPGs (who am I kidding? I know who I'm talking to), the Dragon Quest games have some really good exploration.

Dragon Quest 7 has an insanely long campaign with lots of exploration and wandering. It has a ton of optional content, like collecting monsters, finding mini-medals, or gathering townsfolk to build up your village--- and that is entirely aside from the very lengthy main campaign.

Dragon Quest 8 is very different in that it tries to offer a more 1:1 experience when you explore the outdoors, but it has one of the best world-maps in an RPG. Plenty of areas that allow you to explore and find hidden secrets.

Sarathiour

Cipher
NEO Scavenger.

Yes.
Never really played that one. Is anything more deep than scavenging buildings on 4x map?? Does it have a story,side quests,leveling etc etc ?
Yes, there is sort of a main quest that you can do to complete the game, as well several "side quest" that will give more info on the overall lore, though good luck managing to kill "the thing" without spoiler or hint.

To anyone trying this, I recommend making at least one backup save, typically when you reach the town. Having to restart a whole playthrough because the game will regularly crash and corrupt your game isn't exactly my definition of fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom