Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Another RPGCodex Bloodbowl league thread

Mantiis

Cipher
I am leaning towards trying out vampires in a league setting - I will probably get spanked but we will see how we go.

EDIT: Bloodbowl LE is also now $20 on Steam for the next 11hrs or so, so if you were interested in joining the next codex league picking it up now would be a good time to do it! Undead Phoenix? :M

Mantiis said:
I am leaning towards trying out vampires in a league setting - I will probably get spanked but we will see how we go.

EDIT: Bloodbowl LE is also now $20 on Steam for the next 11hrs or so, so if you were interested in joining the next codex league picking it up now would be a good time to do it! Undead Phoenix? :M
Feh, this league better be worth it. I could've gotten 7/8 pints with the money it cost.

The Troll Slayers will rise again to bring every other team (excluding stunties) down to their level :smug:

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This league will officially end on December 28th. That's when Grunker and I have set up our match!

I've been searching around, and these seem to be the generally accepted tiers for tournaments:
Tier 1: Chaos Dwarf, Dwarf, Wood Elves, Skaven, Norse, Lizardmen, Orc, Undead, Amazon
Tier 2: Chaos, Human, Khemri, Pact, Slann, Dark Elves, High Elves, Nurgle, Necromantic, Pro Elves
Tier 3: Halflings, Gobbos, Vamps, Ogres, Underworld

I don't think the teams are ordered in any meaningful way within the tiers.

At TR100 (tournament or starting teams) Amazons, Dwarfs, Undead, Orc, Skaven are top drawer. Teams like Chaos, Rotters, Humans and most of the Elf teams are definitely inferior - tiers apart, you might say.

At TR110 a wider range of teams enter the top set e.g. Wood Elves, Chaos Dwarf, Norse. Chaos, Rotters and most of the elf teams are still a long way short.

At higher TRs (and in leagues) the elf teams tend to become more powerful with their ease of access to blodge. Higher still (toward 200 TR) I've seen Chaos/Rotters become much more competitive.

Gobbos, Ogres, Vamps, Halflings (LRB5 that is) are mostly pretty poor in any context.

What is true is that there are clearly some teams that are very good at winning games at any TR and in most contexts e.g. Wood Elf, Dwarf, Amazon, Orc. Equally some will always find it a little harder e.g. Human, Pro Elf, Rotters.

Coaches new to Blood Bowl, especially ones who have only played the AI so far, should definitely choose a team from Tier 1.

Mantiis

Cipher
What the hell is TR100?

The tiers dont tell the whole story as certain match ups are bad for teams as well - Norse for example have a really hard time against bashy teams.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Mantiis said:
What the hell is TR100?

The tiers dont tell the whole story as certain match ups are bad for teams as well - Norse for example have a really hard time against bashy teams.

TR100 = TV 1000. I think it's an older term.

And of course there are bad matchups for every team. Norse get killed by bashy teams like Undead and Khermi. But they also have good matchups against teams who lack punch and reliable dodging like Skaven and High Elves.

Here's the win percentages of Norse vs other teams in LRB 6 tourneys:
norsew.jpg

LRB 6 is still pretty new, so there's not a lot of data yet, but you get the picture.
http://naf.doubleskulls.net/lrb6.html#Norse

Mantiis

Cipher
Ok so if TR = TV then I don't think it matters too much. The reason everyone plays everyone twice in this league was a conscious decision on my part - I wanted teams that started with no skills to be able to skill up and have a chance to replay teams with their new skills. So teams like Chaos and Lizards (and High Elves) were not at a disadvantage. It is just a shame that the game ordered the matches in such a stupid way, I wanted all players to play each other once and then play each other again afterwards.

Also lizards are a little harder than your average Tier 1 team in that they do not get any blitzers and wont get any players with block for a while unless they get lucky.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The stunty-dodge/st4 combo of their players more than make of for this though. I find I'm strongest at lowest TV's with lizards at least.

No matter what, I still don't hold to the belief that the important of 'balance' weighs heavy enough to not include carry-over teams. I'm gonna play Necromantic in the new league - but I think people who want to keep their teams should get to simply for the prospect of having known "Codex-teams" in the future.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Mantiis said:
Ok so if TR = TV then I don't think it matters too much. The reason everyone plays everyone twice in this league was a conscious decision on my part - I wanted teams that started with no skills to be able to skill up and have a chance to replay teams with their new skills. So teams like Chaos and Lizards (and High Elves) were not at a disadvantage. It is just a shame that the game ordered the matches in such a stupid way, I wanted all players to play each other once and then play each other again afterwards.

I got the highest TV and I'm under 1600. A Chaos coach wouldn't be likely to get even that high after a single tourney. Carryovers would be needed. Down the road, we can split the tourney into two and have a "rookie" tourney and a "veteran" tourney based upon how well they performed previously. Hell, we'll probably want to split things into two next round considering all the new people we might be getting.

Mantiis said:
Also lizards are a little harder than your average Tier 1 team in that they do not get any blitzers and wont get any players with block for a while unless they get lucky.

Yeah, there's definite sub-tiers within the tiers. And some teams, like Dwarfs, may be good, but aren't necessarily newb friendly.

Grunker said:
No matter what, I still don't hold to the belief that the important of 'balance' weighs heavy enough to not include carry-over teams. I'm gonna play Necromantic in the new league - but I think people who want to keep their teams should get to simply for the prospect of having known "Codex-teams" in the future.

Dammit! I was thinking about playing Necromantic!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I called dibs! Been playing them in MM, and I'm loving dealing with the different positionals. No one game is the same.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Grunker said:
I called dibs! Been playing them in MM, and I'm loving dealing with the different positionals. No one game is the same.

I really have no experience playing teams that absolutely rely on a running game, and I'm thinking of trying one. Necromantic is pretty speedy, so I figured it wouldn't be too jarring of a change for me.

I played Mantiis as Khermi vs his Vampires, and I couldn't stand how slow they were. We ended up tying 1-1, but the second half had my cage bogged down and I couldn't get it moving.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
Grunker said:

I really have no experience playing teams that absolutely rely on a running game, and I'm thinking of trying one. Necromantic is pretty speedy, so I figured it wouldn't be too jarring of a change for me.

I played Mantiis as Khermi vs his Vampires, and I couldn't stand how slow they were. We ended up tying 1-1, but the second half had my cage bogged down and I couldn't get it moving.

I love running games. Skaven were my favourite until I met Lizardmen and found my home.

But I'm really having fun with Necromantic now, for much the same reasons. Like Lizardmen with more difference in the positionals. But if we hold on to it, I guess we'll have to toss a coin for it at some point... I'll probably play Undead or carry over the 'zones if I loose the toss.

Mantiis

Cipher
Y'know you can actually pick the same race as each other if you want.

Castanova

Prophet
I'm definitely in too. I'm preliminarily calling High Elves :P

If we get a certain amount of people I suggest we split into two divisions and have a short seeded tournament at the end. I think BBLE has a built in mode for that but I haven't tried it.

Mantiis

Cipher
Has the showdown been played yet? I must know! Grunker bring me a late xmas present!!!

OSK

Arcane
Patron
This is it. The match that determines the outcome of the league. A win clinches victory for me. A loss gives Mantiis an opportunity to take the tournament. A tie... would probably give me a win too (Team value), unless we decided on custom tie-breaker rules.

Grunker, no longer in the running for first place thanks to a tie with the Orcs, was fueled by Mantiis' greed (I'm sure he was "encouraging" him to win). Our last match ended in a 2-0 victory for me, with my High Elves scoring a second touchdown slowly grinding up the pitch against only a handful of standing Amazons.

Knowing Grunker's tendency to play to play rather bashy with his team, I spent 50k of my own cash to purchase Bloodweiser Babes. With his inducements, Grunker purchased a Wizard and an extra reroll bringing him up to a total of 5.

I won the coin toss, and chose to kick. Brilliant Coaching gave both of us an extra reroll, bringing Grunker up to 6! The ball landed deep in a corner of the pitch.

First action of the match, Grunker fails a 2D block on the line of scrimmage and burns his first reroll, and later fails the pickup of the ball. I mark Prosper with my blodging tackler, and blitz my way into his backfield, marking the ball with a player. On his next turn, Grunker blitzes off the player near the ball and successfully picks it up. He proceeds to move the player into a cage in the center of the pitch.

This first half then turns into a repeat of the first half when we last played. I aggressively mark and attack his cage, leaving his ball carrier motionless for the next several turns. Despite my higher AV, we both end up with 2 casualties each, though I get a slight player advantage with a KO. Grunker makes tons of blocks, eventually eating through all 6 of his rerolls for the half, but his cage doesn't budge. The Elves just stand themselves back up and continue making surgical strikes against the cage, despite all of the annoying Guard blodgers. Eventually the Elves work their way into the cage and knock the ball free. The ball is picked up by one of my Blitzers who runs it towards the endzone. Normally, I would have stalled here a turn, but with that Wizard on the sidelines, I knew Grunker would use it here. Instead, with a reroll handy, I make the two GFIs and score a touchdown on turn 7.

1-0, High Elves lead.

I kick off, but there isn't enough time left in the half for anything to happen.

Halftime.

Grunker kicks, and it's a short, but high kick. I place my thrower under to receive, but he fails the catch. Short kicks always make me uneasy as High Elves. I place a couple players in front of the ball in case of a failed pick up, and make a blitz on the other side of the field opening up a hole where I pass through a catcher and three defenders. I attempted the pick up and failed. The ball rolled away from my defenders, so I decided to burn a reroll to pick it up. It's successful. I dodge a catcher through into the middle of the pitch, and move another player before realizing I didn't create a proper pocket around my thrower. With no one left to safely move, I hit next turn and hope Grunker hasn't seen my mistake.

Of course he didn't miss it. It was completely obvious. He jumped on the opportunity and blitzed down my thrower, retrieving the ball. On my turn, I mark his ballcarrier with a couple players and blitz with my strip ball catcher, knocking the ball to the ground. I immediately retrieve it. Grunker ends his next turn prematurely with either a failed dodge or block. I have one player standing in my way from being able to hand my ball off to a catcher within scoring range. I foolishly made a 2D block on that player which only resulted in a push, a push that moved the player right next to my ball carrier. With that opportunity lost, I dodge my ball carrier away to the other side of the pitch into a poor 3-player cage.

Grunker swarms the cage, but is unable to get my blodging ball carrier down. So he resorts to his Wizard, who knocks him down with a bolt of lightning. Both sides surround the ball, spending the next several turns pushing each other around unable to pick up the ball. Eventually Prosper picks it up. With one turn left for the both of us, I see that Grunker only has one player within scoring range after some GFIs and bypassing two players defending her. Not wanting to be screwed over by some miraculous play, I triple cover the player and attempt to blitz her down, but I only get a push. On Grunker's final turn, he attempts to blitz away my blodging tackler marking his ball carrier, but can only get a both down which leave my player standing. Despite this, Grunker still makes a couple dodges and a successful pass; however, the catch is dropped and the game ends. High Elves - 1, Amazon - 0.

fireworksi.jpg

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

bloodbowllegendary20101d.jpg

Suck it, Mantits.

Mantiis

Cipher
*sigh* grunker did you foul him at all?? Did you learn nothing from my last game with OSK??

We still have two games to go in his round and if the other players are anything like me they are being interrupted by the holidays. I don't get back until the 1st. I will start a new thread when I get back fOr the new league.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
A win fair n' square. I made two central mistakes; a re-roll that gave me two skulls, when I didn't need to re-roll, and some thrown blocks before getting the ball to safety, which resulted in a both down (that was what gave OSK the touchdown).

Sorry I failed bruthas, but congrats to OSK!

EDIT: As for fouling, I couldn't afford it. With three men out of the game, I was struggling to keep my numbers.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Mantiis said:
We still have two games to go in his round and if the other players are anything like me they are being interrupted by the holidays. I don't get back until the 1st. I will start a new thread when I get back fOr the new league.

Grotty and Comrade have already played. Looks like they just didn't do a writeup.

grotsnik

Arcane
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
Grotty and Comrade have already played. Looks like they just didn't do a writeup.

Well, it didn't seem right to do a write-up of our match when everyone was waiting agog for the real result. Also, I forgot. Will cobble together some very vague memories soonish, unless Comrade's about and can actually remember what happened all those hours ago.

Congrats, OSK - a worthy winner.

Mantiis

Cipher
Grunker said:
A win fair n' square. I made two central mistakes; a re-roll that gave me two skulls, when I didn't need to re-roll, and some thrown blocks before getting the ball to safety, which resulted in a both down (that was what gave OSK the touchdown).

Sorry I failed bruthas, but congrats to OSK!

EDIT: As for fouling, I couldn't afford it. With three men out of the game, I was struggling to keep my numbers.

Well you bought a wizard and a re-roll. Wizard is wasted money I feel but that is just me. Give me a bribe and a budweiser babe any day.

Suck it, Mantits.
Don't worry OSK, you will beat me one day. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom