Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Another RPGCodex Bloodbowl league thread

Mantiis

Cipher
Dirk Diggler said:

Am I right in thinking that you were one Go For It! roll away from scoring and leveling the game?

Ok so this means Grunker is out of the running and it is between me and OSK. All OSK has to do is win his next game and it is all over. I have to win to stay in the race.

It is all down to Grunker. Grunker! Stop the Elf!!!

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Definitely my first match in the league where I was on the edge of my seat.

I played pretty poorly the first half. Partly underestimating Dirk (who greatly improved from our last match) and partly my own stupidity. I think I forgot how to play, fucking up my positioning and turning crucial 2D blocks into 1D blocks.

Second half was a roller coaster. That fucked up (glitched?) high kick, double skulls on an important, early block, losing the ball, retrieving it and tossing it to an open (and gimped) lineman who was 2 GFIs away from any dark elf players who were also covered, him getting knocked down and the ball rolling out of bounds and tossed back into an open Dark Elf player, double skulls on getting that player down. And then when Dirk failed that GFI in the endzone, I wasn't sure if that was a blessing or a curse at the time. If Dirk scored there, I would have had two turns left to win the game, but if I failed at retrieving the ball, Dirk could have easily scored leaving me no chance at the win.

Thankfully, things worked out in the end! My surviving blitzer leveled up and got tackle, I got enough cash to replace my dead blitzer, and I fucked up Grunker's hopes at winning the tourney. :smug:

All OSK has to do is win his next game and it is all over. I have to win to stay in the race.

What's the tie-breaker? Is it number of touchdowns or something? If so, I'll win on a tie as well.

Psh. It's all down to me. But go ahead Dirk, and stop the Norse!

Mantiis

Cipher
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
What's the tie-breaker? Is it number of touchdowns or something? If so, I'll win on a tie as well.

Psh. It's all down to me. But go ahead Dirk, and stop the Norse!

Hate to break it to you but if it is No of TDs scored I am leading you. If it is goal difference I am still beating you.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
League moved onto the final round.

bloodbowllegendary20101.jpg

bloodbowllegendary20101m.jpg

bloodbowllegendary20101e.jpg

Hate to break it to you but if it is No of TDs scored I am leading you. If it is goal difference I am still beating you.

I checked on the forums. It's TV.

grotsnik

Arcane
Last round already? Well, gentlemen, lady - been a pleasure. :salute:

Were there really enough injuries, though?

Mantiis

Cipher
Dirk Diggler said:
Mantiis said:
Am I right in thinking that you were one Go For It! roll away from scoring and leveling the game?
Yep, that's exactly what happened.

I just watched it! Oh my god what were you thinking??? You had a TD if you would have just waited a turn! Ah well.

grotsnik said:
Last round already? Well, gentlemen, lady - been a pleasure. :salute:

Were there really enough injuries, though?

Probably not - but if there is enough interest we will do another!! :D

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I vote that teams carry over by the way. I'm probably not gonna keep mine, but it's more fun if we keep the option, I think.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Grunker said:
I vote that teams carry over by the way. I'm probably not gonna keep mine, but it's more fun if we keep the option, I think.

I already discussed this with Mantiis, and I agree. He wants to wait on a vote before the next season.

If we keep forcing a new team to be created every tourney, it'll encourage everyone to create front-loaded teams like Amazon, Norse and Dwarves every tournament. Allowing teams to carryover will make choices like Chaos, Nurlge and High Elves :D viable choices. With full inducements (minus some star players), a large TV difference isn't quite as crippling as it was in the previous Blood Bowl version.

Though I think there should be some restrictions. Such as only allowing teams that have only played in our tourneys to prevent farming, and possibly forcing carryover teams to spend or dump all their cash prior to starting.

If we allow it, I'm not sure yet if I'd carry my team over. I still have lots of teams to try out in the Legendary Edition, and I'd need to have enough cash to trim and rebuild my team. I'd cut all my catchers, one of my throwers, any gimped players and possibly some others.

Castanova

Prophet
Grunker said:

I see where you're coming from but this is going to put new teams at a serious disadvantage. Inducements are nowhere nearly as useful as developed players.

And OSK, you say that starting new teams encourages people to use front-loaded teams. I think letting teams carry over will encourage that even MORE. Why would I want to play a High Elf team when I know I'm going to face your High Elf team with all the same players as me plus 20 skills? It's basically forcing new entrants to pick front-loaded teams otherwise we'd never be competitive.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'll just be honest and say winning these leagues don't matter THAT much to me. I do my best with a team I think is fun to play, and that's it. I think carry-over teams would be cool, 'cause once I find "my" team (other than lizardmen), I would like to stick with that, develop it some. I also like the prospect of knowing other players teams, maybe even players. Not having to look up and down a roster before each game.

For me, it adds to the fun. I like playing some game with inducements up the ass, it's part of Blood Bowl.

In the end, Blood Bowl is to a very high degree a game of chance. I'm more focused on having fun than to win.

Carry-over teams means more fun, so that's my vote.

Castanova

Prophet
More fun for people who get to carry over teams, you mean.

I feel sorry for the pour soul who starts their first match against OSK with a 600 TV disadvantage. I'd wager that no one in this forum is good enough to overcome a deficit like that, or even a 400 TV deficit without luck and a very favorable team match up. And a first game disaster only creates a tailspin.

But whatever. Ultimately it looks like there will be more votes for carryover teams than not so it is what it is. In that case, I'd request a shorter league season since it'll be a glorified practice run for new coaches anyway.

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
Carry overs would be cool, but I want to remake anyway, even if I stick to the same team. I am more aware of how I effed things up in team creation now in this season.

If you move it to fumbbl you'll have another player (or maybe more)

Chaos Dorfs :love:

I was hoping for Grunker to win the league, but as there's no chance of that - my support goes to Mantiis

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Psh. With a 600 TV advantage no one on these forums can overcome the coaching deficit against me. :smug:

Oh, and I want the next tourney to be:
No inducements. No SPP. Humans only. Final destination.

Undead Phoenix said:
I was hoping for Grunker to win the league, but as there's no chance of that - my support goes to Mantiis

It's so lonely on the top! What are people outside the league basing their choice of who to support on? I don't understand why anyone would support the two lamers who picked front-loaded teams in a short tourney! :P

I'm a Grotsnik fan myself!

Mantiis

Cipher
I am leaning towards carry over's but within reason and only teams that are created and have played in this league (Codex BloodBowl league) would be allowed.

Remember inducements allow you to really hurt the opposition - buy a couple of bribes and hurt them! Worked for me vs OSK!

my support goes to Mantiis

W00! A fan! Fan factor++

I feel sorry for the pour soul who starts their first match against OSK with a 600 TV disadvantage. I'd wager that no one in this forum is good enough to overcome a deficit like that, or even a 400 TV deficit without luck and a very favorable team match up. And a first game disaster only creates a tailspin.

He isn't so hard to beat - just hurt his players. Don't try and beat high elves at their own game as they will murder you at it. Having said that I don't think his TV is that high. :|

EDIT: 1560?? JESUS!

grotsnik

Arcane
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
I'm a Grotsnik fan myself!

:love: I love you, OSK. I want you to know that.

In terms of carry-over... but I think the most important issue will be how many new players would like to join. If it's just Castanova and another then it makes more sense if the two of them don't mind just sucking it up, possibly losing their first few matches but letting the rest of us continue with our beloved teams. But if the league gets much bigger, then all of us being gentlemanly and starting from scratch might be more appropriate.

But...yeah, I don't mind. I pissed about my team a bit too much for the lulz (Black Orc with Dodge, Grunker?), so starting again would help me...and yet, the ladz are mine.

Mantiis

Cipher
Grunker said:
(Black Orc with Dodge, Grunker?)

Hey, the dude fucking dodged when the situation required it :salute:
I am not sure I understand - isn't Grotsnik the Orc coach? Which means that Grotsnik selected dodge for his black Orc? How is it Grunker's fault?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Mantiis said:
Grunker said:
(Black Orc with Dodge, Grunker?)

Hey, the dude fucking dodged when the situation required it :salute:
I am not sure I understand - isn't Grotsnik the Orc coach? Which means that Grotsnik selected dodge for his black Orc? How is it Grunker's fault?

Not my fault - I just commented on it during our match ("Dodge? Really?"), and three rounds later he dodged at a pretty critical time ;)

grotsnik

Arcane
Grunker said:
Not my fault - I just commented on it during our match ("Dodge? Really?"), and three rounds later he dodged at a pretty critical time ;)

It didn't help old Dodgy at all in the second match, the useless bastard...but, yeah.

My point is that carry-ons should probably depend on how many new players want to join.

Because we've all had a good time with our teams (even Comrade with Slug Jr.), and continuing with them has a great iconic appeal, making it more exciting when old adversaries meet and so on...

...but on the other hand, it doesn't sound as if anyody would really *mind* starting again if it'd be easier and more enjoyable for a large group of newbies, because we've all made mistakes that we can learn from next time around.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom