Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Another Mask of the Betrayer thread!

Shannow

Waster of Time
Andrej said:
Starwars said:
*spoiler*

I found all 3 pieces of the Mask on my first playthrough, and I had no idea where to look.
Same here.
Spoiler:
I got two. I missed the one in the wells. The walkthrough said you'd have to go there with Gann in act 3. Problem is, in act 3 there is no reason to go there anymore. So either the walkthrough was wrong and I simply missed it when I visited earlier (or didn't get it because I didn't have Gann with me) or I was supposed to go "exploring" again in act 3 for no apparent reason.

pug987

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
I'll keep that in mind.

Anyone got Devour Soul? Any other "evil" abilities? My craving meter is at 3/4 and I'm losing points very fast, but you can always find something to feed on (if you are truly evil ), so the complaints seem to be vastly exaggerated.

Devour Soul is the single most important ability if you play an evil character. It's not needed to do the evil ending but it provides many interesting dialogue choices. Other evil abilities are Spirit Gorge (which isn't required for the evil ending either as far as I know but you get it by performing an act of great evil) and Ravenous Incarnation. That last one you have to get cause the act that grands it to you is the most important prerequisite for an evil ending.

If you don't mind a few spoilers, I started a topic in gamefaqs about things you may miss or ways to solve situations that aren't that obvious. Here's the link:

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmes ... c=38703246

Andrej

Liturgist
Shannow said:
Spoiler:
I got two. I missed the one in the wells. The walkthrough said you'd have to go there with Gann in act 3. Problem is, in act 3 there is no reason to go there anymore. So either the walkthrough was wrong and I simply missed it when I visited earlier (or didn't get it because I didn't have Gann with me) or I was supposed to go "exploring" again in act 3 for no apparent reason.
Spoiler: I dunno if that's true, but that's what I did. I was a retard and never explored that map fully so I set out to do so later in the game (and to find the ice hag) - or maybe i got it right away. Can't remember.

pug987

Scholar
Shannow said:
Spoiler:

No, you don't need to go exploring in Act 3. Just go to the rock with Gaan at any time and he'll say something to you. After that just try to rest near the rock and instead of resting your character will be transported to the dream.

EDIT- Sorry, I thought you were talking about the one with the rock. I should really start reading posts more carefully :? For the one from the wells you just have to drink from them at any time, regardless who you have in the group.

Micmu

Magister
I never *ever* had Gann in party (he looked way too emo/fag to me) and have gathered all three mask pieces. No walkthrough.
Btw. the two witches there will tell you about sleeping below the rock, too.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Shannow said:
Andrej said:
Starwars said:
*spoiler*

I found all 3 pieces of the Mask on my first playthrough, and I had no idea where to look.
Same here.
Spoiler:
You can get it in Act 2 with or without Gann. Click on the wells and you'll be taken to the dreamland. I didn't sleep there.

Krokar

Scholar
So I finished MotB few days ago, but I didn't have all the mask parts in the end. You said something about one fragment that is sopose to be in the wells. Uh, what wells? Where is that? Does it affect the ending if you have all parts of the mask?

Vault Dweller

Developer
*** SPOILERS ***

The location is called Wells of Larue. I got it added to my map after talking to that kid who invited me to visit his tribe and learn more about my gift. There are several places of interest there: the tribe, the farmer & his daughter, the witches, and Okku's spirit relatives. The relatives are near the wells. When I moved my mouse over the wells, the cursor changed into a star. I clicked on it and a text option appeared. If you have Gann in your party, he talks to you about the wells.

And yes, having all 3 pieces "unlocks" a different ending option.

Zomg

Arbiter
***SP-oilers***

Do the wells light up when you hold down the "Z" key? I missed it even though I was a pretty diligent Z-and-look-about type. I'm glad I did because the eternal sacrifice ending was pretty poignant, although "eternity" in the Forgotten Realms setting seems to be, "a couple hundred fake years before we need to sell new setting books or paperback novels and half the old gods die".

I wish they had provided a special denoument for Clerics/Paladins/Rangers/Druids where your god intercedes directly on your behalf somehow. I kept waiting for the God on my character sheet to pipe up, thinking they might have at least written out a text blurb for all of those names. I dunno if those even come up in the scripts at all... does anything happen if you're listed as a worshipper of Kelemvor during those dialogues with Kaelyn or the head priest or Kelemvor himself?

Forgotten Realms seems a lot more sophisticated since the last time I looked at it. Is there a full blown World-of-Darkness-like metaplot for FR now? I didn't get that sense of cheesy pastiche FR usually elicits.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Zomg said:
Do the wells light up when you hold down the "Z" key?
I didn't use it. (I forgot which key it was and then decided that manual exploration is very old school).

Vault Dweller

Developer
That's what happens when you rely on massmarket-friendly features telling you what to do.

pug987

Scholar
Still there are some items that is nearly impossible to find without using the z key and it's hard to find them even if you do. Things like scrolls tucked between books, on the floor of the shadow vault etc. To find some of them I pressed the z key repeatedely so they would blink.

Krokar

Scholar
Thanks for the help VD. I explored that area but I missed the wells as it seems. Oh well, have to replay the game anyway.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Vault Dweller said:
That's what happens when you rely on massmarket-friendly features telling you what to do.
No, that happens when I can chose between not playing any recent AAA games or massmarket-friendly games, thus forcing a 3d engine on me that I neither appreciate nor want. In fallout and its 2d ilk I usually scanned the scenery with the mouse and found everything...

I was able to finish the game anyway so that doesn't have to be considered as a minus.

Andrej

Liturgist
I actually think it's good that the stuff you find in the game is proportionate to how perceptive and how much time you take to search.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Shannow said:
Vault Dweller said:
No, that happens when I can chose between not playing any recent AAA games or massmarket-friendly games, thus forcing a 3d engine on me that I neither appreciate nor want. In fallout and its 2d ilk I usually scanned the scenery with the mouse and found everything...

I was able to finish the game anyway so that doesn't have to be considered as a minus.

until a guy dropped a pistol and then he dies on top of it. preventing you from looting the pistol because his corpse pixels is covering the pistol in 2D. Later, his corpse decays and his pool of blood would prevent you from clicking on it as well. :roll:

Jora

Arcane
SPOILERS

How do you get Sunken City on your world map? I killed everyone in the garrison near Ashenwood and healed the Wood Man.

Oarfish

Prophet
Does anything happen if you're listed as a worshipper of Kelemvor

Not that I noticed, it does affect your dialogue with the acolyte though.

Starwars

Arcane
Jora, *spoilers*

Ashenwood is prettu much optional. You learn about the Sunken Ruins in the Shadow theatre (Liennas secret/locked room). Speak to the theatre owner for details.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
Starwars said:
Ashenwood is prettu much optional.
I thought you had to do it. I guess my mind is still in OC mode.

Oh, that game with those frost giants was dumb; I just killed 'em. :twisted:

roshan

Arcane
OccupatedVoid said:
Starwars said:

If you play their game and become their Jarl, you get a background feat that gives a permanent +1 charisma.

roshan

Arcane
OccupatedVoid said:
Starwars said:

If you play their game and become their Jarl, you get a background feat that gives a permanent +1 charisma.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom