Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol sucks massive Multi-Headed Dick

Sabriana

Learned
Alpha Protocol was very good in some parts, and very bad in others. Quite a schizoid game, imo.

Nigro

Educated
Alpha Protocol was very good in some parts, and very bad in others. Quite a schizoid game, imo.
Man I never tried to play the game with no cheats, but with cheats I thought it was pretty decent...
I remember watching the Angry Joe review about it, and he said that Pistols and SMG's was broken, so I focused my cheating in Rifles...

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Man I never tried to play the game with no cheats, but with cheats I thought it was pretty decent...
I remember watching the Angry Joe review about it, and he said that Pistols and SMG's was broken, so I focused my cheating in Rifles...

If you had focused on pistols you never would have had to cheat. After maxing out the "stop time and paint a target" skill, you could paint a bosses head like 7 times and kill them in a matter of seconds. Which was the only way I got through the game as a stealthy dude, since the boss fights are fucking retarded and give you no options.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Which was the only way I got through the game as a stealthy dude, since the boss fights are fucking retarded and give you no options.
Stealth is meant to be one of your tools but not your only tool. I thought this was pretty obvious from the first hub. I also killed the bosses with three different builds so you're terrible at playing this. :M

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Which was the only way I got through the game as a stealthy dude, since the boss fights are fucking retarded and give you no options.
Stealth is meant to be one of your tools but not your only tool. I thought this was pretty obvious from the first hub. I also killed the bosses with three different builds so you're terrible at playing this. :M

But I said I was able to beat all the bosses. And it was on hard. Does that not make me hardcore? :roll:

And no, by allowing me to sneak through entire levels without killing anyone, and allowing me to talk my way out of multiple situations, it is in absolutely no fucking way making it obvious that brute force is the only option for boss fights.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
But I said I was able to beat all the bosses. And it was on hard. Does that not make me hardcore? :roll:
Oh, hard is terrible, yeah. There's no good reason to play AP on hard. Enemy damage and health go up, minigames become more obnoxious, every piece of equipment becomes more expensive in a game where everything already is expensive, pointless.

And no, by allowing me to sneak through entire levels without killing anyone, and allowing me to talk my way out of multiple situations, it is in absolutely no fucking way making it obvious that brute force is the only option for boss fights.
You have to pretty much exploit one of the levels in Saudi Arabia where hacking into a computer immediately sets off an alarm and spawns a bunch of guys behind you and a bunch more out in the open area where you have to kill/knock out guys with turrets/rocket launchers to reach a helicopter. Then you have the tank boss following the stealth-killable miniboss in Saudi. Try stealthing your way through that.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Stealth worked great for me.
1. Get out of line of sight...
2. go invisible
3. line up headshots or whatever
4. profit

The only thing that sucks is I always get myself stuck in the mansion in Italy without any weapons with characters that can not stealth well or melee... so they are fucked. I guess I needed to make different choices so I would not get in that position.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The only thing that sucks is I always get myself stuck in the mansion in Italy without any weapons with characters that can not stealth well or melee... so they are fucked. I guess I needed to make different choices so I would not get in that position.
You'll always be railroaded into a fist fight no matter what you do, that level is simply terrible. The solution is to play on normal so you don't have to deal with stat-bloated enemies. I guess it also helps to do that mission relatively early since everything in AP is level-scaled.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
The mansion is doable on the highest difficulty setting without any melee or stealth skills, it's just a bit painful. The first fight you can win by running around and hoping that you won't get surrounded. It's not that hard. After you get out of the first room, you only need to make one succesful stealth kill/knockdown (that can be a major pain in the ass) and then make a well-timed run at the first checkpoint. You may need to try it fifty times but you'll eventually make it.

circ

Arcane
I dare you to kill Brayko with nothing but stealth. I'll wait.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Miss something..?

Modron

Arcane
I did assault rifle builds and the game was pretty much as easy as pistoling; I did try out the other builds but sub machine guns were kind of shitty. Its kind of a shame that the silenced submachinegun was a console only exclusive pre-order; more silenced weaponry, would have made pistols less of a must have for stealth oriented builds.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
SMGs are good for clearing crowds, especially with their stopping power, but only that. At 5 points per rank it's overpriced compared to the other guns since you pretty much need another gun if you're going to use SMGs whereas the others can hold their own, even shotguns.

Also assault rifles get silent subsonic ammo but you have to be careful since you can only fire in three-round bursts instead of single shots so if your first bullet doesn't kill them, enjoy your alert.

circ

Arcane
Miss something..?
Nope. I saw it. Just pointing out the disrepancy with stealth. You kill the first boss with stealth, which was a nice touch, and... that's it.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
you pretty much need another gun if you're going to use SMGs whereas the others can hold their own, even shotguns.
Shotguns? I did a mass murderer psychopath run, and every time I was having trouble with a fight it was because I was using a shotgun. I thought they were completely useless unless the target was less than three feet away from you.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Alpha Protocol was a little brilliant but flawed gem, kinda like Bloodlines. The hacking mini-game though was testing my nerves so it's better played with a 360 controller instead. The amount of C&C the game offered was bigger than all other Obsidian and BioWare games put together.

Mandatory: If you didn't enjoy Alpha Protocol then you're not a real gamer.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
BioWare games have Choice and Consequences?

Either you fuck your companions or they resent you. That is the new Bioware C&C. :codexisfor:

Ironically, in Mass Effect there IS a choice and Consequence with Ashley (if you play a Male character). If you talk to Ashley even just once, on the ship when you get the Normandy, she will turn into a raging nympho and will have mad sex with you (later in the game).

D:

BioWare games have Choice and Consequences?

There's plenty of C&C in Origins. Anyone claiming the contrary is just trying to be edgy for hell of it.

VD's review does an OK recap of it.

True. I guess I should have more correctly stated, well done C&C.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom