Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol is $2 on Steam today

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
J_C is the anti Skyway -- there isn't a game he doesn't like.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Grunker said:
J_C said:
Grunker said:
Do explain.
I mean of course you can tell from the beginning that the main story is about a company who wants to exploit the war. This was even hinted in the trailers. But for me the events in Taipei and Moscow, Marburg's and Albatross' character, their involvement in the whole scheme were more important that the main story arc.

Oh so we agree the main plot is trite. Well, I agree. The only salvagable thing about AP is a few side characters who you sadly don't see very often.
Well yes, I agree that the main story is nothing original and mind blowing. But that doesn't stop me from LOVING THE GAME.

Metro said:
J_C is the anti Skyway -- there isn't a game he doesn't like.
Oh there are games I hate, believe me. But I like more games than the average Codexer.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
To be fair, J_C, I like more games than the average codexer. You like ALOT more games than the average codexer ;)

Not raining on your parade, and Metro's accusation is unfair in the sense that you don't go into tunnel-vision mode as Skyway does. Just sayin'.

Deleted member 7219

There is redemption to be found in most games as long as the intention was pure. Alpha Protocol is an example of that. They tried to make a good spy-themed modern day action RPG, but it got weighed down by too many systems, unoriginal gameplay and dull level design. But it was an honorable failure. Just like Gothic 3 and the original Two Worlds, there is still good stuff to be found amongst the wreckage.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I consider Alpha Protocol as the good kind of failure and wish most other failures were like that.

Erzherzog

Magister
Wow, can't stand this game from the get go.

What is supposed to be good about it? It feels like an unholy cross between SC: Chaos Theory, Arkham Asylum, and Mass Effect's dialogue system.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The definition of 'C&C' has been stretched to some absurd limits on these forums before. If it is focused around different dialogue results then... meh... personally I'm not a fan of the overly produced/overly dramatic Biowarian conversations. That and crappy linear level design are two of the huge failings Obsidian shares with its illegitimate sibling.

Metro said:
overly produced/overly dramatic Biowarian conversations.

Where did you find those in Alpha Protocol? One thing that game has going for it is actually entertaining conversations, completely unlike shit Bioware writes. In Bioware games I end up wishing characters would shut the fuck up sooner, in AP I'm happy to listen to them.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Metro said:
The definition of 'C&C' has been stretched to some absurd limits on these forums before.
And Alpha Protocol is one of those games with boatloads of actual C&C, meaning elements changing sooner or later in the game due a choice you made, not flavor lines or ending slides.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Metro said:
The definition of 'C&C' has been stretched to some absurd limits on these forums before. If it is focused around different dialogue results then... meh... personally I'm not a fan of the overly produced/overly dramatic Biowarian conversations. That and crappy linear level design are two of the huge failings Obsidian shares with its illegitimate sibling.

I dislike AP, but taking its only good major gameplay element away from it is a shame. It has tons of C&C - not just dialogue related - and it's actually very cool. If AP's recipe for C&C was used more, I would not be unhappy.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Roguey said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
And Alpha Protocol is one of those games with boatloads of actual C&C, meaning elements changing sooner or later in the game due a choice you made, not flavor lines or ending slides.
Cutscenes and completely inconsequential things that mean absolutely fuck all.

http://www.destructoid.com/people-keep- ... 2051.phtml <- Sterling Silver telling it like it is.

Two words to that shit article: Conrad Marburg.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Jim Sterling on New Vegas: Superb
on Dungeon Siege 3: Good
on Alpha Protocol: Bad
Sounds pretty trustworthy to me.

RK47 said:
Two words to that shit article: Conrad Marburg.
What about him? So what if you get to kill him or not through a bunch of convoluted choose your own adventure crap instead of being given the free choice to do so at any time like any proper RPG would allow?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Yes. It's carried out better. The narration. How it unfolds and how it affects the whole flow. Look, a lot of game barely disguise this shit through invincible npc and such, but in AP, I could totally buy it. Thornton was in no position to attack Marbourg and get away with it in the middle of that meeting. He knew he had to wait for another chance.

And that museum was a good chance. Except Marbourg stayed true to his character, and escape when the going gets rough. Unless you pissed him off so much, that he felt it was well worth it to risk death to kill Thorton. If that's not a good design, then I guess you simply want Speech checks like Saren and Legate Lanius huh? That shit felt hollow, bro.

Speech 100. Go fuck yourself Lanius. You can't win!

Lanius: OK.

PARAGON 100: SAREN, SHOOT YOURSELF

SAREN: OK

I duno man, if cinematic gaming quality is what most journalists praise as virtue these days, AP trumps them all. Beneath all the weak stealth gameplay and gunplay, I enjoyed the briefings, voice actings and interactions as well the little stuff that changes throughout 6 playthroughs.

It was a good experience. And at $2 if you're still looking for an excuse to not buy it then you better hold your shit in after eating a big mac because I love Alpha Protocol THIS MUCH.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Roguey said:
Jim Sterling on New Vegas: Superb
on Dungeon Siege 3: Good
Whaaa...? That can't be true. -Checks Destructoid- Well I'll be damned, he really did a good job on those reviews. But how is this possible? He slammed a lot of good games into the ground earlier.

Including Alpha Protocol, so he is a retard anyway. :x

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
RK47 said:
Thornton was in no position to attack Marbourg and get away with it in the middle of that meeting. He knew he had to wait for another chance.
That you were always forced into that position and every single dialogue choice resulted in the same outcome (getting shocked and being forced to fight a few guys unarmed regardless of your martial arts skills) was utterly terrible. If Avellone was my DM I would have pushed the table over and walked out then and there.

And that museum was a good chance. Except Marbourg stayed true to his character, and escape when the going gets rough.
And what exactly is preventing you from chasing after him? Nothing. Except the dungeon master who says "Uh, no you can't do that because I said you can't. Sorry, not suave enough. But if you let Madison die and Parker respects you enough, you can have another shot at him. What, that doesn't apply? Then I guess I'll just end this plot thread with you two exchanging harsh words at each other in the Gray Box and then you just never see him again. Unless you're friendly and make him turn, in which case he'll pop up after you deal with Leland to say goodbye. That's totally meaningful."

If that's not a good design, then I guess you simply want Speech checks like Saren and Legate Lanius huh? That shit felt hollow, bro.
Fallacious statement. I didn't like the speech checks against Lanius either, mainly because he was built up to be a person who couldn't be reasoned with and the Legion endings where he's in charge further reflect this. But New Vegas did a far better job of allowing me to kill anyone at any time.

Stinger

Arcane
What about slowly building up rep with Leland over the course of the game to potentially unlock another two different endings with a different boss battle (Westridge) and setup?

Long term choices and a fairly significant consequence.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
J_C said:
Although I like the guy's show on the escapist, he is a shit reviewer. Never trust his opinion on games.

Indeed. Granted I've seen him make a legitimate observation every six months or so but not often enough to evidence intelligent thought.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
So is playing a stealth character worth it, or a few hours into the game am I gonna go "this is dumb, why didn't I just pick the Space Marine class and smash them with my thunder hammer"?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
kingcomrade said:
So is playing a stealth character worth it, or a few hours into the game am I gonna go "this is dumb, why didn't I just pick the Space Marine class and smash them with my thunder hammer"?

I found stealth pretty bad. I wish I'd made a shooter-guy in Deus Ex, and the same goes for AP.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Play stealthy, but be sure to max out your pistol skill for Chain Shot. The game becomes near impossible when going 100% non-lethal once you get to the boss fights.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom