Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Wonders 4

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
And he still didn't mention a lot of very big and very obvious issues (completely tacked on underground, enchantment bonanza, free cities being completely featureless et al.).

But hey, maybe the cogs in some of these people's heads will fall in place to encourage them to play some actually good games that the series offers.

Fabulously optimistic, I know.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
1686665370429.png

The drones as usual bought into the game, played for a dozen hours or so, left a positive review and then dropped it.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
The people are finally starting to see -

Too bad it took 200 hours to realize what was obvious by the third story mission.

Don't know the dude, but watched it yesterday and most of his complaints are on point. People bought into the game because AOW has been the best 4x fantasy series for a while, and it's new competition (MOM remake & Spellforce Conquest of Eo), while less broken are just meh, and I played both for around 10h. AOW4 shows lots of promise in concepts of it's systems, but just fails miserably in execution, crushed underneath all the bugs.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
In AoW1 with a tiny amount of modding and mapmaking you can make a map where you can summon heroes who can summon heroes who can summon heroes. Unlimited summoning of spellcasters. Who can all independently cast spells wherever they are on the strategic map. Are you ready for 15 elementals per turn? Streamlined decline in the rest of the series doesn't allow it.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm enjoying the game a lot at the moment, but I can definitely already see that this "everything can be everything and combined with everything else" approach will definitely get old and limit replayability in the end.
It's a lot of fun when you start out, so I can understand the good ratings ... as well as why lots of people seem to stop playing around the 50-60 hour mark. That's around the time when the magic of full customizability wears off and you start seeing the cracks.

I truly believe that less races, but actually making them distinct, would have benefitted the game so much more than making races purely cosmetic, while making the "culture" the distinctive part (except not really because it's all fluid in the game anyway).

Early- and mid-game I enjoy the most, but end game just turns into this extremely weird thing where every round devolves into a complete mess of 10+ effects all going off at the same time. And trying to figure out what is actually happening on a single unit is impossible in battle unless you want to spend A LOT OF TIME in the unit screen.

AOW4 shows lots of promise in concepts of it's systems, but just fails miserably in execution, crushed underneath all the bugs.
I wouldn't say it fails miserably. Games that fail miserably don't usually manage to make me play for 50+ hours.
Definitely more enjoyable than I found Planetfall.

But I would agree that it does fail to tie all of its systems up in a coherent way. The video does indeed make a lot of good points.
You can really see things falling apart the longer you play.

IMO a lot would already be achieved with a general balance overhaul. Some units, spells and abilities are just worthless compared to others.
Bug-wise I honestly haven't noticed any - unless you count the terrible performance as a bug.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Ironically enough, I find Planetfall much more playable than this game. Both PvE and PvP in this game are fucked and there's almost 0 content.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
All it needs is a simple Tome limit. That really shouldn't be hard to implement but since there have been no patches lately and they're clearly working to get the DLC out first...

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
PF combat>AoW4 combat

And they still did not come anywhere close to making the strategic layer actually interesting (the series declined in that aspect, if anything), so yeah.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
I think its a bit too early to write the game off for good. There is a fair chance that things improve with further dlc's and mods. AoW3 did so with dlc's and got some great mods. AoWIV game is still salvageable, but of course it remains to be seen if Triumph can do it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I mean, sure, but there are some very easy quick fixes they could do right now.
Just placing a limit on tomes won't fix the actual problem with tomes - that they are wildly unbalanced and the vast majority of them aren't worth picking up. Sure, being able to get all of them is an issue as well, but it's hardly the biggest one. On top of that, there's also cultures being unbalanced and basically pointless, culture traits being all over the place and unbalanced, the AI being absolutely braindead, heroes and their traits being unbalanced, units being unbalanced, free cities having almost 0 interaction, exploits and bugs up the butt, etc. There's a whole lot of imbalance in this game and I'm sure Sawyer is weeping on his pillow right now because of it. It's so unbalanced that it's basically unplayable, both in pve and pvp, unless you want to see the same tactics and strategies constantly.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
the AI being absolutely braindead,
This was odd to me as I was playing through the "campaign".
Most missions were super easy, even on Hard (do they ever offer more than "Hard" for story missions?). But one mission (Caldera) I had my ass handed to me multiple times before I won. It was a relentless assault of multiple high-level armies all beelining for the player instead of doing the FFA style the map suggested they would do.

Never before or since I saw opponents assemble armies that were mostly tier 4 and a few 5 + 3 units. I even loaded another map before I won, waited a few dozen turns and the AI just never advanced beyond mid-game.

Thinking about it, those might be considered bugs. Either that or terrible design/AI.

Lacrymas

Arcane
thesheeep Caldera is imo intended to be done through the quests. I wouldn't be surprised if they specifically made the AI super aggressive on purpose for this map.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
thesheeep Caldera is imo intended to be done through the quests. I wouldn't be surprised if they specifically made the AI super aggressive on purpose for this map.
Yes, it clearly is!
But even when focusing on the quests I struggled a lot with the onslaught. Not just more aggressive, but also fielding such high-tier armies while I was struggling to have just a few tier 4s at that point.
It was fun, but considering the other missions I have my doubts that it was on purpose :lol:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Imo all the story maps are like that. They try to push you to do the quests which emphasize a certain aspect of the game's mechanics, making them super gimmicky in a few instances.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Took a look at the updated roadmap. Seems they're planning to address water and underground gameplay by end of the year. Question is, whether these will be serious efforts or something akin to them "trying" to make races more unique in PF.

Oh, item forge is also in the pipeline. Yaay.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
So the patch that goes with the DLC is a big nothingburger huh?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom