Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A Fistful of Collars: BEASTMASTURBATION

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
:lol: :salute:

(Suddenly I feel much more experienced after answering a simple riddle...weird.)

RPGs, duh.

Esquilax

Arcane
Amazing, but I have one major bone to pick with you, Mr. Murrow:

I was promised an EXTREME playthrough and I was expecting an EXTREME makeover. So then I must ask why I got Mace Windu when I wanted JULES MOTHERFUCKING WINNFIELD?!?!?

:x :x

Jules-Winffield-Large.jpg

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Do people in these games ever stop talking?

I have played Planescape: Torment, so it must seem silly that I say so. But wow.

Reading that entire Aerie "My wings have been clipped" sequence followed by the dream sequence and some more memories of wings being clipped, I felt nauseated by the fact that it seemed to never stop. It is not treated as a brief amusing distraction from the game. It is treated as a core feature of a game. Why else would such lengthy talks come from that lady?

I don't want to attack the tastes of the many posters who enjoy narrative in games, since they still have otherwise strong arguments to back up their views, but surely they would feel as disoriented as I would reading those 1800 words of endless self-pity.

Even the characters in the sentimental Knights of the Old Republic games seem more muted and at ease, by comparison. Melirinda's romance mods for NWN2 seem like mature adult talk, compared to this Aerie.

But I have, Motherfucker Shepard, I have! I...I just don't have the strength! I'm so useless...

So much expressed in so many ellipses. :?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Aerie has to be the most annoying character in the history of role playing games.

Whining about losing your wings at a guy that got his fucking soul stolen? yeah...

Wyrmlord

Arcane
So she is an exceptional case? Fine.

I would still take to task every supposedly elite roleplaying game fan with whom I used to converse at BioWare forums, and ask them why they would ever consider Baldur's Gate 2 to be a "well written" game.

This is good writing? Are these the typical standards of a computer roleplaying game fan? If so, our kind deserves all the mockery, ridicule, scorn, stereotyping, and marginalisation it deserves.

My heart clenches at the thought, but we must stop ourselves going down this path. I need to...find more about myself...before I can attach myself to another. I hope...you understand.

Baldur's Gate 2: the pinnacle of roleplaying games as high literature.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Writing in BG2 is really nothing special. And as you can see it can be quite awful sometimes, Aerie is really the worst of the bunch.

Only character I liked in that game is Jaheira.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
:lol: you've successfully resurrected my childhood trauma of Aerie's Romance...the fact that her name so closely resemble Aerith only burns me moar.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Oh yeah, jan was nice too. Keldorn wasnt bad either, and that issue with his wife and kids was interesting.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finally, an update, and a rather surprising one as well. I did not expect our hero to become a mage.

As much as I love Baldur's Gate, I was never able to endure Aerie's romance. Luckily Motherfucker Shepard's superior resistance to bullshit made him survive it. Good job.

Nice touch with the Harbinger, btw.

Looking forward to next episodes.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
:lol:

Don't be surprised if in 9 months you suddenly come across a brown winged half-elf blond motherfucker baby Shepard.

5e_045RubyBlonde.jpg

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
sigh...close up of her hair....god..how much shit is that on her hair.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Even though BG2's writing is mediocre-to-bad (which is why I prefer the much better written NWN2), there's nothing that compares to the horror that is Saerileth. I request this LP is rebooted at once so you can play through the Saerileth mod instead so Codex will know true terror.

EDIT: And I'd say Jan and Anomen are just as bad or worse than Imoen and Nalia.

Actually, it's good to point out that Bioware ALWAYS wrote characters around a single element. It didn't stumble into mind-boggling retardation in BG2, but you can clearly see it with one thing defining every character.

Cassidy

Arcane
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Even though BG2's writing is mediocre-to-bad (which is why I prefer the much better written NWN2), there's nothing that compares to the horror that is Saerileth. I request this LP is rebooted at once so you can play through the Saerileth mod instead so Codex will know true terror.

EDIT: And I'd say Jan and Anomen are just as bad or worse than Imoen and Nalia.

Actually, it's good to point out that Bioware ALWAYS wrote characters around a single element. It didn't stumble into mind-boggling retardation in BG2, but you can clearly see it with one thing defining every character.

Is this like Merilinda? Or worse?

Vaarna_Aarne said:
there's nothing that compares to the horror that is Saerileth. I request this LP is rebooted at once so you can play through the Saerileth mod instead so Codex will know true terror.

I would....except that mod, and most character mods, is a buggy mess. I can tolerate derp, but not technical issues and certainly not the "great" design they have (oh hey look, a souped up demon fight early in Chapter 2).

Though maybe one of these days I will do a "Worst of The Worst" style LP, to properly showcase the inanity in so many BG2 mods. Maybe. Gotta finish this first though.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
No mang, we all know how BG2 goes. Saerileth would be a the greatest assault by :decline: the Codex has ever weathered.

Just cheat or whatever over the derp fight parts of Saerileth, explain why the design sucks. The meat is in the mind-blowing horror of the writing. And the fact it has a large fandom.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
The BG2 playthrough on lparchive.org uses the Saerileth mod.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom