Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

2010 - The Turn Based RPG revival?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Livonya said:
But to focus so much energy on making fun of the very idea that the game will ever be released.
Well, you see, everyone knows that it takes 3, maximum 6 months, to make a quality RPG. Ergo, a game that was in development for 5 years is, by definition, a vaporware.

Even though new screenshots and videos are posted regularly, the forums are active, discussions are plentiful, the combat demo is being tested by about 20 people, including folks well known at the Codex and the feedback is being posted openly (i.e. not in some secret beta forums), with the testers agreeing that the combat is interesting, tactical, challenging, and addictive, the game is clearly a vaporware that is never getting released and probably doesn't even exist in a playable form.

If you don't understand it, you are, like, dumb or something.

Mackerel

Augur
It's a form of pseudo-mystical reverse psychology, like telling a performer to 'break a leg' in order to fool the spirits into leaving them alone. By constantly talking about how AoD will never come out, many are actually hoping to speed it's release. Unfortunately superstition still rules the minds of many, even in this modern age.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Even though new screenshots and videos are posted regularly, the forums are active, discussions are plentiful, the combat demo is being tested by about 20 people, including folks well known at the Codex and the feedback is being posted openly (i.e. not in some secret beta forums), with the testers agreeing that the combat is interesting, tactical, challenging, and addictive, the game is clearly a vaporware that is never getting released and probably doesn't even exist in a playable form.

Hey it was the same with Team Gizka and look where they are now

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Vault Dweller said:
Livonya said:
But to focus so much energy on making fun of the very idea that the game will ever be released.
Well, you see, everyone knows that it takes 3, maximum 6 months, to make a quality RPG. Ergo, a game that was in development for 5 years is, by definition, a vaporware.

I am a bit surprised by this butthurt post from you.

mondblut

Arcane
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
JA3 being another Silent Storm wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

There already was a Game Formerly Known As JA3, and we all know it sucked. (know so well nobody even bothered to actually play it, in fact).

And considering the state of russian gamedev, it is pretty safe to assume JA3 by .dot will never come out. Hell, if they'd actually release Disciples 3, this alone would be a major achievement.

Vault Dweller

Developer
GlobalExplorer said:
Vault Dweller said:
Livonya said:

It's called an argument, son.

GlobalExplorer said:

Dude is actually putting his effort on creating something, while assholes like us sit on the internet and act like smartasses about everything. "Oh this game is soo not coming out, it's so fucking obvious, or if it does come out it will be unfinished buggy piece of shit and I'm so awesome because I said this, unlike other retards who actually hope for shit". It's perfectly reasonable for him to be a little pissed, I know I would. And it's not like you achieve something by predicting that indie project is not going to get finished, it's not a secret these are hard times for good games. It would be more of an achievement to be able to just shut the fuck up about it for once and wait.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Stop this inane cocksucking right there, the game is taking a fucking long time to come out, end of story, it's already playable, it's being put off because they want it to be polished and be a success, but for most of us this polish isn't all that necessary, it's only necessary for that dubious, unnamed audience which we don't give a fuck about. Of course, the argument is that if the game is not polished it might not sell well enough for Iron Tower to make more games, and that is understandable, but it doesn't mean that we can't think that they are being anal about making the game so very perfect, alright?

Burning Bridges

I mean VD why do you give a shit if people are bitching, that's what surprises me.

Not that I am anti-AoD or something. I will probably buy it if it comes out. But I won't give a damn if it doesn't, that's how I see it. There are many half finished projects that will never come to an end and I stopped giving them much attention.

Serious_Business said:
Stop this inane cocksucking right there

Unless you invested money in this game, I don't see how you lose anything if it doesn't come out, so you might as well stop this inane bitching right there. I'm not pretending to know that every single thing that is being done on this game will lead to a greater good, I'm just saying that silence is much wiser than this constant whining. Admit it - you are not speeding up game's release like this anyway.

Burning Bridges

And it's not like you achieve something by predicting that indie project is not going to get finished, it's not a secret these are hard times for good games. It would be more of an achievement to be able to just shut the fuck up about it for once and wait.

Why not state the obvious? Most of them spend too much time day dreaming and talking about what they are going to do, while it's not clear if they are carrying out a realistic plan at all. Repeating the same mistakes over and over, until their enthusiasm or money runs out. No, I see it like this: As long as someone hasn't released anything, no one has to take them serious. I mean how many of these projects get finished, 5% maybe? Of course, if people have demonstrated that they can finish something it's different. I support a lot of indie developers, but they they must have released at least one product of some substance. I am tired of people giving encomiums in advance, and I am also tired of people telling me to wear a muzzle either, lest someones feelings are hurt.

I have seen such discussions like on the West Racing forums go on for years, and people spent years waiting and defending their developers, and ultimately turn very meek. I am definitely too old for this shit.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Serious_Business said:
... but for most of us this polish isn't all that necessary, it's only necessary for that dubious, unnamed audience which we don't give a fuck about.
Who are these awesome "us who don't care about this polish" people you speak of? How many people here would really like to play "good idea, flawed execution" type games? The list of playable but unpolished games that most people, including the Codex crowd, didn't like because they were annoyed by this or that is miles long.

...but it doesn't mean that we can't think that they are being anal about making the game so very perfect, alright?
Did you even bother reading the testers' feedback?

Burning Bridges

No matter what I just said, you should ignore the bitching and take as much time as you need for AoD, m'kay. I am surprised you are even getting into a discussion about this.

Vault Dweller said:
Well, you see, everyone knows that it takes 3, maximum 6 months, to make a quality RPG.

A year or two actually. Three in extreme cases.

Rest of your post is spot-on though.

MetalCraze

Arcane
It still will be funny to watch VD gaining crazy fanboys who will protect AoD no matter what even if it will suck and being all butthurt about Codexers bitching about something like he doesn't know Codex.

Besides didn't VD promise to release combat demo for all to play sometime in the last century or am I wrong?

Vault Dweller

Developer
"...the combat demo is being tested by about 20 people, including folks well known at the Codex and the feedback is being posted openly (i.e. not in some secret beta forums), with the testers agreeing that the combat is interesting, tactical, challenging, and addictive..."

This demo?

Livonya

Augur
Patron
Person A: Has a vision for a project and attempts to guide that vision to light, but in the end fails.

Person B: Spends all their time insulting and complaining about Person A's attempts and or failures. Ultimately, Person B finds success in Person A's failures.

I would rather support Person A than become like Person B. The world is filled with Person B. Give up. You will fail. Impossible. That will never happen. Can't. Don't. No. Always no.

Nothing comes from nothing.

Even if AoD is cancelled and never comes to light I can at least respect VD for making the attempt.

Any attempt, even a failed attempt is better than no attempt at all.

Some of those attempts do in fact succeed.

Never attempting anything produces nothing 100% of the time.

Burning Bridges

Brilliant. Now give that recital to your bank, I am sure they will be moved to tears and give you an unlimited loan for your next project.

Any attempt, even a failed attempt is better than no attempt at all.

Nothing is better than recognizing a failed attempt before it's too late.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom