Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

2010 - The Turn Based RPG revival?

Livonya

Augur
Patron
I have no doubt that 2010 will disappoint, and yeah, it might be a stretch to say that 4 potential turn based RPG games in 1 year would constitute a revival.

But it seems like a lot to me, especially considering how rarely they are attempted.

Of course many of these games will either suck, get cancelled, or be pushed back to 2011.

But right now it really seems to me that there are a lot of cool turn based games scheduled for 2010 release.

I hope some of them are actually good games. If so perhaps a small revival will occur...

Games I know of for 2010 that are turn based:

Jagged Alliance 3
North Star
Dropship
Age of Decadence

North Star sounds really, really cool but it seems like a good candidate for cancelled or delayed. (http://northstar.wikidot.com/start)

Jagged Alliance 3 might be less RPG and more tactical depending if they actually try to do something like JA2 or just do a new version of Silent Storm.

I know very little about Dropship, so I wouldn't be surprised if it never sees the light of day.

Age of Decadence seems like it will finally come out in 2010.

I assume there are other potential turn based RPSs scheduled for 2010 that I am not aware of?

bonch

Educated
The gaming press will make sure to label them as "retro," "old school," slower-paced than "next-gen RPGs like Oblivion," etc.

aries202

Erudite
bonch said:
The gaming press will make sure to label them as "retro," "old school," slower-paced than "next-gen RPGs like Oblivion," etc.

Yes, they will...and that's a good thing.

Just look at the interest in DA: Origins, a semi-old school game. The temporal spirit (or Zeit Geist in German) are looking for meat and potatoes games, meaning games with content and gameplay that are fullfilling, not just games with shiny graphics anymore.

If we want more (semi) old school games, then let's hope that DA: Origins sells well.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Age of Decadence seems like it will finally come out in 2010.

laugh460.jpg

J1M

Arcane
So your evidence of a turn-based revival is 4 games. 2 of which will probably be cancelled and another that is vapourware?

AWESOME!

MetalCraze

Arcane
Why did you have to mention Eschalon? It sounds all the more depressing considering that it has one of the worst turn-based gameplays.

Saxon1974

Prophet
I believe there are features being added to enhance combat. I dont think core combat is changing, but they are adding things like shield bash, offensive\defensive attack etc....

I didnt mind the combat, its still much prefered over real time....and I think the new enhancement are going to make it much better.

Zeus

Cipher
bonch said:

Good! That's how you'll know to buy them. ;)

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
JA3 being another Silent Storm wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
OldSkoolKamikaze said:

We'll be lucky if it comes out at all, so I'm inclined to agree with this statement.
I haven't got the slightest idea why we're talking about JA3 in the first place, its release is no longer a given - quite the contrary.

quasimodo

Augur
I don't know anything about Northstar, but I don't think you are going to see Dropship or JA3 in 2010. At least there is something happening with AoD.

Norfleet

OldSkoolKamikaze said:
The main thing I remember about Silent Storm, the original, was shooting round after round into the dead bodies of my enemies to boost my shooting skill and clear enough inventory space so I could lug back all of the loot. The main thing I remember about Silent Storm, the sequel, was that my AK-47 was constantly broken, which always made me scratch my head.

Trithne

Erudite
I doubt N*'s been cancelled. It's certainly a year late from what mecron claimed, but that's nothing new. But I have faith enough in KP that if they cancelled it, they'd tell us. They're usually nice like that, and I don't think working with Paradox is like Activision.

MetalCraze

Arcane
AoD will come out on December 13, 2012 - which is Thursday and the next day after ITZ that Maya predicted.

Livonya

Augur
Patron
Is there some reason that so many of you apparently don't want AoD to come out?

I can understand not liking the game engine, the game rules, art direction, the game designers themselves, etc, etc, etc...

But to focus so much energy on making fun of the very idea that the game will ever be released.

That just seems counter productive to everyone.

I assume that if you post on the RPG Codex that you actually like to play RPGs?

I get the feeling that some of you would prefer if AoD was cancelled. As if being proven right is more important than the existence of another possibly interesting game.

Black

Arcane
Livonya said:
That's like saying people didn't want Duke Nuke'em Forever to come out.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Livonya said:

I can understand not liking the game engine, the game rules, art direction, the game designers themselves, etc, etc, etc...

But to focus so much energy on making fun of the very idea that the game will ever be released.

That just seems counter productive to everyone.

I assume that if you post on the RPG Codex that you actually like to play RPGs?

I get the feeling that some of you would prefer if AoD was cancelled. As if being proven right is more important than the existence of another possibly interesting game.

Wow, you're dumb.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom