Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

100 Best Games at IGN

Twinfalls

Erudite
Yeah that's pretty bizarre. Justadventure.com must have introduced conscription.

Well, I winced my way through that list. I must be getting both older and more naive at a rate of knots, I had hoped to see a Looking Glass game mentioned at least somewhere. Da gamerz sure love their jap and football consolery.

denizsi

Arcane
I don't even comprehend how any sports game can be considered a candidate for a "best games" list. Shouldn't they look for games which had the least amount of originality? I admit I'm quite illiterate about sports games but I don't believe there is any 'wisdom' to be gained regarding the genre.

However, a sports RPG with a story might be interesting.

Bradylama

Arcane
Sports games are only original in the sense that they make you wonder "Why couldn't they do this last year?"

There are a lot of "live the life" features in some basketball games, recently. It's an interesting looking feature that probably involves the roleplaying elements of a hentai game.

Also shit list, bla bla bla, console kiddies, aerith dies.

Also:
While KOTOR II captures the magic of the original easily, it's still more of the same,

As an aspiring journalist, this hurts me the most.

Sarvis

Erudite
kris said:
Sarvis said:
Wrong.

Tell me what it's missing that, say, NWN has?

Character creation and development. any form of character definition at all really.

Oh, Character creation is necessary for RPGs? Guess Planescape: Torment is out of the RPG club then.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
hoochimama said:
Like in pretty much every other "best game ever" contest, Zelda OoT won, and it's well deserved.

The more I get into Wind Waker the less I feel Ocarina of Time deserves that position. There's a lot that Wind Waker gets right and better than OoT that's it's just staggering to see people after all these years cling to it while neglecting the game on accounts of "kiddie graphics", which to eloquently quote many users of this site... Is just retarded.

sheek

Arbiter
Sarvis said:
kris said:
Character creation and development. any form of character definition at all really.

Oh, Character creation is necessary for RPGs? Guess Planescape: Torment is out of the RPG club then.

I think he meant creation and/or development. Basically that you can influence what your character will be like - an aspect of C&C gameplay in other words. How much influence you have is variable and can be compensated for by more C&C in the rest of the game.

suibhne

Erudite
Sylvanus said:
How in the world did Half-Life 2 get ahead of the first?

Because it's better?

Seriously, I played them both back to back and HL2 definitely comes out on top as the better game imo. There's no question that the original was far more groundbreaking, but the sequel is more balanced, more diverse, has much better supporting characters, etc. Of course, you may disagree, but be sure to remove nostalgia from the equation first. :wink:

hoochimama

Liturgist
Role-Player said:
The more I get into Wind Waker the less I feel Ocarina of Time deserves that position. There's a lot that Wind Waker gets right and better than OoT that's it's just staggering to see people after all these years cling to it while neglecting the game on accounts of "kiddie graphics", which to eloquently quote many users of this site... Is just retarded.

I might be wrong but I don't think that most of those who dismissed wind waker on account of its "kiddie graphics" are the ones who would choose an n64 zelda as the best game ever. Those two games are pretty cartoonish looking in their own right and the nintendo 64 has the reputation of being a "kiddie" console so brats who felt their sexuality was threatened if they played a kiddy-looking game à la mario stayed away from it- you must have noticed this in Portugal where the n64 sales were catastrophic because most kids wanted a playstation instead of an n64 due to the kiddy game rep.

Most of the fuss I saw about the wind waker's looks was on the internet right after they first showcased it and it was either people whining because they wanted the "realistic" looking zelda from the spaceworld 2000 demo or because they were disappointed that they would be playing a child again instead of the adult character they had in Ocarina of Time.

Anyway, I for one loved Wind Waker's looks and think it's one of the few 3d games whose graphics are timeless, even though I would have preferred it if they kept one the early designs they had for the main character.

As for why I prefer any of the n64 zeldas to wind waker it has to do with the game's focus. The n64 zeldas were action/adventure/rpg-lite/whatever they were set in a vast gameworld with plenty of different cities/villages each with their own style/races , shitloads of npcs with unique lines for each one and most of them had quests for you.
In those games as you progressed further into the main storyline you could see the gameworld changing as a consequence to your actions and the npcs also reacting to it.

Wind Waker, on the other hand is an action/adventure game with not even that much adventuring in it, there are few villages(3) with even fewer npcs and even fewer quest givers. Of course the controls and combat are vastly improved and some new mechanics like the rope swinging are pretty fun but the gameworld is pretty much empty, instead of exploring the land to find villages of different races all you find is mini-islands with mini-games, filler content, and it all looks the same there's no variation in environment, always the same kind of islands, most of the game is going from one dungeon to the next and beating the minigames as you travel from one to the next, in the n64 zeldas every dungeon was deep in the territory of some race with its main village, npcs, side-quests etc, wind waker has a static world by comparison that doesn't really feel endangered, you're just there to prevent the bad guy from becoming all mighty, in the n64 games the world is already fucked up and you're trying to fix what little is left.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
hoochimama said:
you must have noticed this in Portugal where the n64 sales were catastrophic because most kids wanted a playstation instead of an n64 due to the kiddy game rep.

Very true.

Most of the fuss I saw about the wind waker's looks was on the internet right after they first showcased it and it was either people whining because they wanted the "realistic" looking zelda from the spaceworld 2000 demo or because they were disappointed that they would be playing a child again instead of the adult character they had in Ocarina of Time.

There was definitely a backlash. I recall seeing many complaining about how Nintendo lied to them and whatnot. But there's quite a lot of gamers who weren't exactly wowed by Wind Waker because of its graphic style. Apparently, it had something to do with the game not having enough 50 Cent and tits.

*snip good points*

Hence I said it gets a lot of things right, but certainly not all. The distinct races and their dwellings were pretty fulcral to presenting a well developed gameworld in OoT and so far Wind Waker hasn't really done better. Still, I find both gameworlds somewhat empty in their own right. WW has the "dreaded" vast sea filled with small islands and little going on them; but OoT had vast fields of pretty much nothing as well, which were only saved (or doomed depending on the perspective) by little cul de sacs with the odd character placement (what the hell was a Garuda doing with a cow near that long waterfall?!) and dozens of holes with Skulltulas and those funky clock/fortune teller combo rocks. In OoT I also prefered fighting my way to get me some means of transportation - Epona - rather than basically being handed my boat in WW.

Have to get into Majora's Mask one of these days as its suposed to be even darker in tone than Ocarina of Time (what with the world going to end in three days).

Kraszu

Prophet
suibhne said:
Sylvanus said:
How in the world did Half-Life 2 get ahead of the first?

Because it's better?

Seriously, I played them both back to back and HL2 definitely comes out on top as the better game imo. There's no question that the original was far more groundbreaking, but the sequel is more balanced,

In whot sense? I didn't fell that there was very hard levels or very easy ones in hl.

suibhne said:
more diverse, has much better supporting characters, etc. Of course, you may disagree, but be sure to remove nostalgia from the equation first. :wink:

First had much better settings, levels very better designed in less linear fashion, it didn't have levels whit boat and that stupid pseudo puzzle (like the one whit barrels) that didn't require any thinking just doing repetive things.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Role-Player said:
Have to get into Majora's Mask one of these days as its suposed to be even darker in tone than Ocarina of Time (what with the world going to end in three days).
Do.
I searched for a memory expansion for months after, quite accidentally, buying it in a pawn shop. It has some amazing moments, a surreal finale that is rather dark and depressing, though beautiful at the same time [You will see]. Also, seeing the moon come closer every hour does give a perpetual sense of impeding doom.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom