Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

100 Best Games at IGN

MacBone

Scholar
Inziladun said:
Sarvis said:
Let me guess, you don't own a gameboy and haven't played any of the gameboy Zeldas.
I've only played one, but it kicked ass. Like LttP on a smaller screen.

I own a Gameboy Advance, the only handheld i've had since the Sega Game gear. I've played Oracle of Ages and it seemed like a lesser Link To the Past only with a harp and a shorter storyline. Certainly not top 100 worthy.

Which Game did you play?

Link's Awakening wasn't bad, although it was simply a LttPish GB Zelda game. Still, considering the limitations of the original GB, LA seemed impressive at the time. I picked up a used copy of Oracle of Seasons, but I didn't force myself to finish it.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Inziladun said:
Sarvis said:
Let me guess, you don't own a gameboy and haven't played any of the gameboy Zeldas.
I've only played one, but it kicked ass. Like LttP on a smaller screen.

I own a Gameboy Advance, the only handheld i've had since the Sega Game gear. I've played Oracle of Ages and it seemed like a lesser Link To the Past only with a harp and a shorter storyline. Certainly not top 100 worthy.

Which Game did you play?

What the fuck - Zelda and the Minish Cap is awesome! I wouldn't rate it among my favourite games, but it was sure an enjoyable runtrough!

sheek

Arbiter
Ones I agree on:

NONE

I tried and of the few games I've played (half are Zelda/Final Fantasy or some sports shit) they either suck or are just average.z

edit:
Not a single RPG on the list...

Sarvis

Erudite
Wrong.

Tell me what it's missing that, say, NWN has?

Oh, sorry... inventory management. Silly me. :roll:

Sarvis

Erudite
Human Shield said:
Zlaja said:
Hmmm....

055 Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

053 Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance

Simply retarded.

So the same game with more VR missions?

I believe in Substance you could play through the segments of the story Snake did, rather than just Raiden's parts.

Never tried it though, no motivation to buy a game twice...

Castanova

Prophet
They should do the same type of list but require users to only vote for games that were released before, say, 2000. Not that games after 2000 are necessarily worse but it would weed out the kiddies and the game-is-new-so-its-the-best-ever phenomenon.

suibhne

Erudite
Sarvis said:
I believe in Substance you could play through the segments of the story Snake did, rather than just Raiden's parts.

Not really. The "Snake Tales" were missions for Snake, but they were not canonical parts of the MGS2 story and in some cases are like a crazy-stupid alternate reality.

Texas Red

Whiner
Bunch of Japanese kiddy games...

How can a grown man sit in front of a television and start playing Mario games? Being even a stereotyped D&D nerd is far less pathetic.

Castanova said:
They should do the same type of list but require users to only vote for games that were released before, say, 2000. Not that games after 2000 are necessarily worse but it would weed out the kiddies and the it-has-betr-grafix-an-fizix-so-its-betr.

Fixed.

hoochimama

Liturgist
Like in pretty much every other "best game ever" contest, Zelda OoT won, and it's well deserved.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
The Walkin' Dude said:
Bunch of Japanese kiddy games...

How can a grown man sit in front of a television and start playing Mario games? Being even a stereotyped D&D nerd is far less pathetic.

Castanova said:
They should do the same type of list but require users to only vote for games that were released before, say, 2000. Not that games after 2000 are necessarily worse but it would weed out the kiddies and the it-has-betr-grafix-an-fizix-so-its-betr.

Fixed.

Mario kicks ass.

7th Circle

Scholar
Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne overlooks some character fundamentals that oversimplifies its protagonist's interactivity, and in so doing doesn't harness the game's exploitable depth to its fullest potential.

"Unlike in other games, the Max Payne character was designed to have little scope for interacting with the game world, which resulted in reduced depth."

N.B. - I haven't played the game so I have no idea whether or not this is a stupid thing to say about the game.

Dmitron said:
edit: Only surprise ("hey, a non console game/good game!") is Grim Fandango.. Didn't it sell poorly? Perhaps its reputation has led to "new gamers" discovering it.

Yeah, that was a pleasant surprise in a mostly uninspiring list. GF did sell poorly but it still has a tremendous reputation amongst those of us who foundly remember LucasArts as a maker of adventure games...

I was also surprised by the absence of Doom.

Dmitron

Arbiter
7th Circle said:
I was also surprised by the absence of Doom.

Which exposes this (big surprise) as a console kiddies list (unless some of them owned an Atari Jaguar and played Doom on it, back in the day).

Proweler

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
<b>#57 Oblivion</b>:
A game with 200+ hrs playing time, 16 sq miles of area and enough fighting to make you spit for only 60 dollars. Might actually be the first "next gen" game to be next gen--and at the same time be worth the price we have to pay now.

Looks like somebody forgot to update the numbers from Morrowind. 80 hours max.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
That may be the shittyest top ten since David Lettermans list of top ten piles of shit...

They may have just copied Lettermans list now that I think about it

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
IGN does a top ten list like every year and they are always shit. They do best games for each systems, best games of the years, best games of all time pre 2000, best games of all time after 2000. Another Best games of all time becuase they don't want to wait another thousand years.

Its always like mario 64 and zelda 64, and prolly zelda 3 that make it the top 10. ALWAYS. Also super metroid too.

edit: NM just looekd at list. 3/4 aint bad.

Zomg

Arbiter
IGN said:
# 039 // Grim Fandango

What the fuck? Has this game become middlebrow canon or something?

Edit - Not that it's bad, but you have to have a serious retard voting bloc to punch your way in between various years of Madden, nostalgia picks and whatever the year's bestsellers are.

Dmitron

Arbiter
Zomg said:
IGN said:
# 039 // Grim Fandango

What the fuck? Has this game become middlebrow canon or something?

Edit - Not that it's bad, but you have to have a serious retard voting bloc to punch your way in between various years of Madden, nostalgia picks and whatever the year's bestsellers are.

Its a mystery.

I'm not going to change my opinion of the game simply because of the types of people who MIGHT have voted for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom