Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

100 Best Games at IGN

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
<a href=http://www.ign.com>IGN</a> has updated their <a href=http://top100.ign.com/2006>100 Bestest Games Evar</a> list (voted by the IGN readers), and here are the RPG results (100-50):

<blockquote><b>#87 KOTOR 2</b>:
While KOTOR II captures the magic of the original easily, it's still more of the same, and seems like it was made solely for those who thoroughly enjoyed the first game. The game play remains unchanged, but the story should be more than enough reason for Star Wars extremists, KOTOR fans, and RPG junkies to pick this title up.

<b>#57 Oblivion</b>:
The good (or should i say best) outnumbers the bad things by far so BUY BUY BUY. Kick your husband/spouse out the house, bring your dog to the kennel, order tons of pizza and get your ass down to play!
A game with 200+ hrs playing time, 16 sq miles of area and enough fighting to make you spit for only 60 dollars. Might actually be the first "next gen" game to be next gen--and at the same time be worth the price we have to pay now.

<b>#43 Jade Empire</b>:
BioWare has done it again. Breaking from its traditional tried-and-true RPG formulas, the company has created an original masterpiece. The gameplay is well formed, the story is nothing short of novel, and the sound and musical score are all top notch. Truly, this is one of 2005's biggest hits.</blockquote>Great list so far.

Sarvis

Erudite
Looks like a pretty good list to me. Seriously, a hundred games and almost every one of them is considered a great game by <i>everyone</i> but 20-30 people at RPGCodex, but THEY are the crazy ones?

Right. :roll:

HardCode

Erudite
Something fishy there. I'd say easily that Half-Life should be much higher since they are considering all games of all genres ... unless they are including Counter-Strike in separately in the top 30 games still not posted.

Jabbapop

Scholar
Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne overlooks some character fundamentals that oversimplifies its protagonist's interactivity, and in so doing doesn't harness the game's exploitable depth to its fullest potential.

I scored in the upper 90th percentile range of my reading comprehension examinations, but I still have no clue what the fuck this means.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
Jabbapop said:
Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne overlooks some character fundamentals that oversimplifies its protagonist's interactivity, and in so doing doesn't harness the game's exploitable depth to its fullest potential.

I scored in the upper 90th percentile range of my reading comprehension examinations, but I still have no clue what the fuck this means.

It doesn't.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I can't make heads nor tails of that sentence either, but as long as its sentiment is that Max Payne 2 is better than an orgasm, then yes, I agree with it. I have high hopes for A.wake!

Inziladun

Magister
What the hell? Tales of Symphonia? Secret of Mana? Skies of Arcadia? I didn't even realise anyone but a small percentage of JRPG enthusiasts outside of Japan knew of these game's existances. And what the hell is up with all the sports games and the Zelda cash-ins. At least it gives you a good look into what kind of people read IGN.

Sarvis

Erudite
Inziladun said:
What the hell? Tales of Symphonia? Secret of Mana? Skies of Arcadia? I didn't even realise anyone but a small percentage of JRPG enthusiasts outside of Japan knew of these game's existances.

Secret of Mana is pretty popular, actually. Presumably the other two are as well, I know I've heard of Skies but never tried it.

And what the hell is up with all the sports games and the Zelda cash-ins.

Yeah, because Zelda is the least popular series ever. :roll:

At least it gives you a good look into what kind of people read IGN.

What, gamers?

suibhne

Erudite
Tales of Symphonia doesn't belong up there. Skies of Arcadia, however, is probably the most enjoyable JRPG I've ever played.

Dreagon

Scholar
How the hell can I take any list seriously that puts Max Payne 2 ahead of Half Life.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
Inziladun said:
What the hell? Tales of Symphonia? Secret of Mana? Skies of Arcadia? I didn't even realise anyone but a small percentage of JRPG enthusiasts outside of Japan knew of these game's existances. And what the hell is up with all the sports games and the Zelda cash-ins. At least it gives you a good look into what kind of people read IGN.

ToS is pretty popular. Not, I might stress, that it's any good.

hoochimama

Liturgist
Considering it's reader choices I bet the nº1 game will be one of these:
- half life 2
- halo
- FF7
- Zelda OoT

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
HALO IS TEH B3ST GAEM EVAR or I CRYED WEN AEIRITH DYED is my guess.

For reference, here's the 5 games I've played the most:

Doom 2
Return to Castle Wolfenstein Multiplayer
Starcraft
Final Fantasy Tactics
Chrono Trigger

Of course, I don't play games as much as I did when I was little (hence Chrono Trigger) but that list looks like a pretty good top 5. Fallout isn't on the list because frankly I got into Fallout pretty late and while I've played it through 6 or 7 times, it just doesn't stack up with how much I've played the others.

Inziladun

Magister
Yeah, because Zelda is the least popular series ever
Oh thanks for that, I really didn't realise that when Zelda fans were asked there favourite games eva! That the list included

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

Seriously, I enjoyed Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time was decent,and i'm looking forward to trying out Twilight Princess but those games are nothing but pathetic little Gameboy cash-ins. Shame on me for not knowing most of Zelda fans are just mindless money bags that are willing to pay an arm and a leg just to get their hands on anything that features a little kid in green tights.

I still have trouble believing it, in fact, i'm more inclined to believe that Zelda fans just voted for random Zelda titles.

What, gamers?
No, teenagers.

Dmitron

Arbiter
Look up any game on IGN, go to the messageboard associated with the game. Read the posts. Most of them are pretty damn shocking.

edit: Only surprise ("hey, a non console game/good game!") is Grim Fandango.. Didn't it sell poorly? Perhaps its reputation has led to "new gamers" discovering it.

Hmm.. they've picked some interesting user "reviews":
"Sticking to whole numbers, I'll give it a 9/10, 10/10 being virtually unpossible."

Cycloptis

Scholar
I would have had an easier time reading the list if there weren't at least four NFL games, two of which come from the same series.

Sarvis

Erudite
Inziladun said:
Yeah, because Zelda is the least popular series ever
Oh thanks for that, I really didn't realise that when Zelda fans were asked there favourite games eva! That the list included

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

Seriously, I enjoyed Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time was decent,and i'm looking forward to trying out Twilight Princess but those games are nothing but pathetic little Gameboy cash-ins. Shame on me for not knowing most of Zelda fans are just mindless money bags that are willing to pay an arm and a leg just to get their hands on anything that features a little kid in green tights.

I still have trouble believing it, in fact, i'm more inclined to believe that Zelda fans just voted for random Zelda titles.

What, gamers?
No, teenagers.

Let me guess, you don't own a gameboy and haven't played any of the gameboy Zeldas.

I've only played one, but it kicked ass. Like LttP on a smaller screen.

Inziladun

Magister
Sarvis said:
Let me guess, you don't own a gameboy and haven't played any of the gameboy Zeldas.
I've only played one, but it kicked ass. Like LttP on a smaller screen.

I own a Gameboy Advance, the only handheld i've had since the Sega Game gear. I've played Oracle of Ages and it seemed like a lesser Link To the Past only with a harp and a shorter storyline. Certainly not top 100 worthy.

Which Game did you play?

Lord Chambers

Erudite
Looking at the box art for Secret of Mana made me feel very emotional. I don't think of it as a game that was my favorite, but I do recall spending my hard earned $60 on it when I was in elementary school, and enjoying every bit of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom