Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Cassidy

Arcane
Right after finishing Shadow of Chernobyl, I started playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. : Call of Pripyat with the patched 1.0 version of the Misery Mod(reading the comments in Codex about the 2.0 one made me decide to go with the older one) and a fine tuning of the stamina system to something more reasonable but still challenging. Shadow of Chernobyl is more atmospheric, but Pripyat has better gameplay and side quests, while being tougher due to the scarcity the Misery mod provides, although the Zone is too compartmentalized and relatively safe in comparison to the first game, where anomalies could be found literally anywhere rather than only in specific clusters, and good artifacts were much more rare and had a greater variety of side effects.

Heresiarch

Prophet
How long is Arx Fatalis by the way?

Took me 31 hours to complete. :)
I got to that place when you first meet some weird cultists. After your visit the Goblin kingdom and make the king have some digestive problems, I think. While I loved the atmosphere and the Ultima Underworld aspects, I ended giving up at that point because the let's poke the enemy with a sword and run back strategy worked too well and the fights got boring. How long it takes to finish the game from there?
I'm stuck right there. A lich ambushes me and I haven't been able to kill it yet.

You guys have reached exactly the half of the game. BTW you don't need to kill the lich now, you can (and should) kill it later as you'll need to visit this place again.

Really? So... when do we get more spells? I've got exactly one spell now and it's starting to get frustrating. I'm now at the start of the cultist quest.

Huh? You must have missed a LOT of runes around. You should be able to cast fireballs and IIRC even firefields right after escaping the goblin prison.

And to be honest, the only spells that you should cast regularly are haste and fireball. Haste for traveling around levels faster and do hit & run easier (if melee is your thing), and fireball is the best and only spell you need to kill stuff. Even a warrior with a measly 50 points in magic can kill those heavy armored bastards with two fireballs (and it's the only efficient way to kill them actually).

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Arx have same thing like Baldur's Gate - mages (after few levels) blow everything.
So you don't meet
the Ylsides invasion on the city
?
Because it's hell time for melee guy. For mage is the matter of few fireballs.

SophosTheWise

Cipher
How long is Arx Fatalis by the way?

Took me 31 hours to complete. :)
I got to that place when you first meet some weird cultists. After your visit the Goblin kingdom and make the king have some digestive problems, I think. While I loved the atmosphere and the Ultima Underworld aspects, I ended giving up at that point because the let's poke the enemy with a sword and run back strategy worked too well and the fights got boring. How long it takes to finish the game from there?
I'm stuck right there. A lich ambushes me and I haven't been able to kill it yet.

You guys have reached exactly the half of the game. BTW you don't need to kill the lich now, you can (and should) kill it later as you'll need to visit this place again.

Really? So... when do we get more spells? I've got exactly one spell now and it's starting to get frustrating. I'm now at the start of the cultist quest.

Huh? You must have missed a LOT of runes around. You should be able to cast fireballs and IIRC even firefields right after escaping the goblin prison.

And to be honest, the only spells that you should cast regularly are haste and fireball. Haste for traveling around levels faster and do hit & run easier (if melee is your thing), and fireball is the best and only spell you need to kill stuff. Even a warrior with a measly 50 points in magic can kill those heavy armored bastards with two fireballs (and it's the only efficient way to kill them actually).

I think I missed a lot of things in general. I stumbled upon
a note somewhere in a house in Arx that told me where the rituals are going to take place. So I went down to level 4, was seen by the cultists, killed all of them including a glitching weird monster. After that the lever to the sacrificial room didn't work anymore and I went to check a walkthrough just to make sure that this wasn't a bug. And apparently I've missed a whole lot of things.
Well, I'm reloading an older save now...

circ

Arcane
Tried to run Witcher 2. Forgot that polacks can't code for shit. Everything disabled or on low specs graphically, even downed resolution to 720p, slow as a motherfucker and it looks like shit. Yeah fuck this, I think I'll just play something more recent at high settings because someone else can code. #GFX_WHOAR.

Xeon

Augur
Do you have the minimum requirement or better? I played The Witcher 2 at low with no problem, I don't remember experiencing any frame rate issues either. Did not play the EE.

Continued Stuttering During Gameplay • Link
This issue is most commonly caused by incorrect texture settings. Launch the game and navigate to the 'Options' menu on the launcher. Locate the option for 'Texture Memory Size (MB)'. This is how much of your graphics card RAM is allocated to texture storage. For a 512MB RAM card, it is recommended set this to 'Small', whereas for a 1GB RAM card set this to 'Large'. Allocating insufficient memory for texture storage can result in delayed texture rendering and constant stuttering during gameplay.
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Witcher_2:_Assassins_of_Kings

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, Witcher 2 was insanely well optimized in my experience. I even cranked up some extra settings past max in the ini file and still had a solid 60fps constantly, with a 4 year old processor. Great engine, wish it was used more.

circ

Arcane
Do you have the minimum requirement or better? I played The Witcher 2 at low with no problem, I don't remember experiencing any frame rate issues either. Did not play the EE.

Continued Stuttering During Gameplay • Link
This issue is most commonly caused by incorrect texture settings. Launch the game and navigate to the 'Options' menu on the launcher. Locate the option for 'Texture Memory Size (MB)'. This is how much of your graphics card RAM is allocated to texture storage. For a 512MB RAM card, it is recommended set this to 'Small', whereas for a 1GB RAM card set this to 'Large'. Allocating insufficient memory for texture storage can result in delayed texture rendering and constant stuttering during gameplay.
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Witcher_2:_Assassins_of_Kings
I can run a very pretty looking Tomb Raider at ultra, though I turn off SSAO because it doesn't do anything, and lags in the final area because of massive lights.

I can also run something like say Skyrim, with hd texture packs and upgraded meshes and shit tons of ultra textures thrown in and there's a lot going on, no probs.

But Witcher 2 tutorial area with everything on low, dicked around with texture memory too, upgraded to 3.4 patch - looks like utter shit, horrible mouse lag, and fps is crap. To get it to look comparable to Skyrim with an ENB and texture mods, you need uber sampling, but you're looking at 1 fps. I also did some mouse ini fixes and the difference wasn't that great. Just shitty coding, that's all, which is quite an accomplishment considering Bethesda's ineptitude.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
For The Witcher 2, did you try turning off shadows and/or ambient occlusion? Those two can kill your framerate.

SophosTheWise

Cipher
Tried to run Witcher 2. Forgot that polacks can't code for shit. Everything disabled or on low specs graphically, even downed resolution to 720p, slow as a motherfucker and it looks like shit. Yeah fuck this, I think I'll just play something more recent at high settings because someone else can code. #GFX_WHOAR.

Are you kidding? On what kind of potato are you running your games? Of course TW2 was really resource-hungry, but my old laptop could run it on high without any issues whatsoever.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If you can run Tomb Raider and Skyrim at high levels you should be able to run Witcher 2 at max. Something is wrong, either with your PC or your installation.

I played through the game at 1680x1050, almost max settings, twice on my old C2D E8400 + Radeon 4850, which was a pretty meh system at the time. Game was pretty smooth up until Vergen (that ran like a dog at that particular part).

Heresiarch

Prophet
Bought Space Rangers HD, playing on Hard, and now I can't make any progress because 90% of the planets are in Dominators/Pirate control :/ and now I'm getting bored and want to play Civ V :/

LivingOne

Savant
Finished playing King's Field II and a replay of Morrowind.Now I'll try to see if I don't end up abondoning FOTactics again.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Bought The Wolf Within on an impulse. Will do the first episode tonight.

EDIT: Pretty entertaining, but I wouldn't call it a game. Great art direction and liked the character's voices. Episode 1 ended on a hell of a cliffhanger. The major problems are: dialogue timer might be too fast for slow readers, a lot of awkward pauses for no reason, voice acting feels a bit forced at times, dialogue is overly ambiguous to the point where I have the urge to bitch slap them.. and that isn't even during interrogations. :3/5: worth a go on sale.

Last edited:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Finished Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine after buying it like a year ago. I got close to halfway through but stopped playing because of a bug affecting NVIDIA cards that made the game run in slow motion randomly regardless of framerate etc. Now that I upgraded my video card to an R9 280X, it turns out that AMD cards don't suffer from the problem, so I went back and finished it (had to start nearly from the beginning). Took about two evenings to finish.

The game is solid and fun, with fairly strong combat mechanics and a lot of weight and impact to weapons and attacks. Unlike a lot of modern shooters the health system is a real risk-reward thing that encourages you to either be cautious or dive into enemies depending on the situation. The gameplay does grow just slightly stale towards the end but it never overstays its welcome - this is a game where a perfect 8 hour campaign is exactly the right length. Compared to other third-person shooters these days, the game is definitely head and shoulders above them in terms of challenge and engagement (no cover system, swarms of enemies with attacks that can shred you really quickly, reliance on crowd control, etc. that makes it play a lot more like a classic shooter than you might expect).

There were a few annoying things in there. For one, checkpointing was sometimes quite poor and forced me to re-watch 30-60 seconds of boring elevator rides or run down empty hallways before getting back to the fight. There are a few segments where it feels like the game slows down unnecessarily and you do a lot of slow walking and waiting for scripted sequences to finish (though it's still a lot better than some other games). And, there are a couple big dumb boss fights, especially the final one, which is literally a big extended quick time event. Talk about a lame ending.

But, the game's completely serious take on the universe helped alleviate those complaints... the levels are massive in scale (even if much of it is just background stuff) and there is a stony-faced sort of realism to all the ridiculousness of the Warhammer universe, which was refreshing. I know that's sort of Warhammer's thing but I'm tired of self-aware games that can't tell a story without winking at the camera and going "yeah, we know this is dumb".

Don't regret getting it for $5 or $10 or whatever I picked it up for, and was worth the time certainly, but I'm not going to return to grind out achievements or anything like that. Back to finishing Avernum 4, and maybe Arkham City over the weekend now that it's dropped GfWL support.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Playing Diablo seriously for the first time in... many years. The only reason I ever finished the original was some duper gave me a godsuit of armor that Normal Diablo couldn't hit me in (I think I was like 10 years old when Diablo came out).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Got Resident Evil 6 in the $10 sale last week. Played a couple hours of Leon today and it seems pretty much like 4 and 5 were, so not sure why series fans were pissy. I never liked this series because of the controls and this game is only marginally better, so not sure how long I will stick with it. Enemies take like 5 headshots to kill too, which annoys the fuck out of me.

Nice lighting effects though. Too bad the textures seriously look like original Xbox quality.

Machocruz

Arcane
Wait until you get to Chris. Things really take a turn for the derp. And the field of view gets smaller with every game. RE7 it will just be Barry's head and right ear in camera.

Tehdagah

Arcane
(...) Enemies take like 5 headshots to kill too, which annoys the fuck out of me.
If you throw them on the ground, you can smash their heads. It's instakill (but gets close to the head, otherwise your character will hit the body, causing less damage).

Wait until you get to Chris. Things really take a turn for the derp. And the field of view gets smaller with every game. RE7 it will just be Barry's head and right ear in camera.
You can change the field of view.

Machocruz

Arcane
You can change the field of view.

I played console peasant version. Don't think I could change it on PS3.

Edit: guess there was a patch for the camera on consoles. Must have been after I was already done with the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom