Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter Update #76: Justin Bell on the Music of Pillars of Eternity

Ignatius Reilly

Scholar
Yep, that's wandering around a quiet town music. Beginning is very, yeah, whatever, we're going on an adventure. Though it's not over the top heroic theme. Last 1:30 is pretty damn heavy though. Starting at around 2:55 mark specifically. I mean, it's like a freaking funeral procession. At least that's how I visualize it. But then we're back to everything being OK.

I don't know if it's better or worse than X music, but it's definitely got it's own qualities.

(I think the Codex is overly obsessed with rankings)

Last edited:

jdinatale

Cipher
So, we DISCUSSing music ?

I'll just unleash my inner fanboy at this thread then :

Kirill just has this soupçon of... je ne sais quoi... originality ? It's not all celtic sounds and traditionnal instruments or something.

Parts of that song remind me of this, also an amazing song:

Seems like there's been a lot of moaning about some background music for a village :roll:

So long as it doesn't loop too frequently it can sound like Hiver fucking for all I care.

Last edited:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Yep, that's wandering around a quiet town music. Beginning is very, yeah, whatever, we're going on an adventure. Though it's not over the top heroic theme. Last 1:30 is pretty damn heavy though. Starting at around 2:55 mark specifically. I mean, it's like a freaking funeral procession. At least that's how I visualize it. But then we're back to everything being OK.

I don't know if it's better or worse than X music, but it's definitely got it's own qualities.

(I think the Codex is overly obsessed with rankings)
No. Why would you ever think that?

Deleted member 7219

Sounds Lord of the Ringsy, in a good way.

Glad I'm getting the soundtrack on my tier, this'll go on the iPod.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
The music is whatever. Sure it's ambient town music but there's also nothing interesting about as far invoking the character of a type of place. In general this traditional orchestral scoring bores the shit out of me so as long as the music suits the game world and adds some color, which I'm sure it will, I'm happy. Would never expect anything that I'd actually want to sit down and listen to as separate from the game.

tsabu

Novice
I think that these track is quite good actually because it doesn't distract you from the game world. These kind of music should hook you into the game world unnoticed. More like a backstabbing rogue than taunting warrior in shining armor.

When I'm hearing soundtrack above (Lords of Xulima) my reaction is: Ok these soundtrack is awesome! Lets download it! (fuck the game) :)

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Look at them retards, praising music for not distracting them instead of realising that music should enrich, adorn and enhance player ingame experience.

Flacracker

Educated
is he the same guy that did the intro music of the kickstarter video?
because I can clearly remember that when it was stated that some of that extra money could be used to hire a talented composer, all jumped butthurt that he is a talented guy and they should keep it inhouse.

Ok, now I know why I don't like this crap. Because it sounds too much like this:

Oblivion has great music.

Septaryeth

Augur
Not bad. It has some atmospheric feel to it. Not bad.

Need to see how it works with game play first and foremost.

True to that.
I have no memory of NWN1/2 music, the plot and dialogues (and the annoying voice acting) simply frustrates me so much that I don't really care about background music.
MotB on the other hand left a very big impression. Mulsantir, Lake Shore, Ashenwood, Immil Vale...
Though sometimes there are the opposite, Of Orcs and Men do not deserve Boston Cello Quartet.

Last edited:

himmy

Arcane
The PoE music is just fine in my books. Sure, there's games where the music adds a lot to the atmosphere (Gothic series, Morrowind and HoMM IV spring to mind), but in most games music should at least do no harm.

That being said, after trying the alpha for D:OS, I now not only think it might just turn out the best game from the Kickstarterwave, but I'm fairly sure it will have the best music.

KevinV12000

Arcane
After all these years, I have to say that Arcanum's violins strike me as the most moving and beautiful game music I've ever heard. Planescape's music would be a close second for me.

With regard to MMOs, I love the music of Vanguard and hope that there is some way I can capture that music before SOE shuts the poor thing down in July.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I rhink this was a decent track. Nothing amazing, but also nothing that will be annoying to listen to while exploring the town. It's not really memorable, would be my complaint.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Would never expect anything that I'd actually want to sit down and listen to as separate from the game.
You should sit and listen to this

The Witcher OST : City Safe.I'm sure everyone knows what this track worths
bd04227b42baeff93c9a0a1a79411.jpg

:M

The Great Deceiver

Trickster
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The screenshots are great, such a lovely looking game (to tell you the truth, I was beginning to think we'd never see "painted" backgrounds in cRPGs again; glad I was wrong). The music, however, is (as many have noted) very uninspiring.

I'll just leave some superb pieces from MotB here:

And my absolute favourite:

Ambient really doesn't have to be synonymous with boring. Bell's intentions are clear - but the compositions really fall short of (admittedly high) expectations so far, which is rather worrying at this point.

In contrast, Mark Morgan's early tracks from Tides are, at least for me, far superior.

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

Unforgetable.
On my top 5 list of the greatest soundtracks of all time until the end of this universe. (and beyond).

In my opinion, the soundtrack took the game to a whole another level.
Distracted much?

Duraframe300

Arcane
Music should complement the gameplay itself. I don't care about listening to game tracks outside of games. At that point I might as well listen to better music.

I like the track and I like the amount of thought Justin is actually putting in to let it complement the game and its sound design.

Also I find nothing more amusing than music discussions because it always ends with pages of pretentioussnes as everyone listens to music and is THEEXPERTZ.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Music should complement the gameplay itself.
In other news, I hear the sun is pretty darn hot.
I don't care about listening to game tracks outside of games. At that point I might as well listen to better music.
Many people, like myself, enjoy listening to game soundtracks.
I like the track and I like the amount of thought Justin is actually putting in to let it complement the game and its sound design.
Cool.
Also I find nothing more amusing than music discussions because it always ends with pages of pretentioussnes as everyone listens to music and is THEEXPERTZ.
Like yourself?

Now before your inevitable response, I'd just like to point out that, what rubbed me wrong was you claiming that everyone are some pretentious experts, while I think there's some good music and examples posted here. And yes, some people prefer the BG style of music, and PoE is a spiritual successor to it anyway. Not saying Justin's music couldn't work in PoE, best of luck to the guy. I guess we'll see how it holds up after the game is released.

Meanwhile, I hope Obsidian posts more samples so we can continue to nitpick :smug:

Duraframe300

Arcane
I'd just like to point out that, what rubbed me wrong was you claiming that everyone are some pretentious experts, while I think there's some good music and examples posted here.
Said nothing about everyone. Still pages of pretentious people. As I said the reasons for that are that everyone frequently listens to music and as such as his big opinion/*expert* badge.

]Like yourself?
God no. I'm terrible at music criticz.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
it always ends with pages of pretentioussnes as everyone listens to music and is THEEXPERTZ.
everyone are some pretentious experts, while I think there's some good music and examples posted here.
Said nothing about everyone. Still pages of pretentious people. As I said the reasons for that are that everyone frequently listens to music and as such as his big opinion/*expert* badge.
You guys keep misspelling "prestigious" as "pretentious".

:troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom