Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Debate which RPG setting has the richest/most interesting/highest quality lore.

Which RPG setting has the richest/most interesting/highest quality lore?

• Total voters
Please list any setting I may have missed.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is Planescape supposed to be folded into Forgotten Reams?

The mystical and metaphysical aspects of the Elder Scrolls' lore is a sparser version of Planescape. Both draw heavily from Eastern concepts like cosmoses expanding through multiple realities and karmic wheels. The Planescape version is livelier and more colorful and much funner to role play in, as evidenced by Planescape: Torment, Hordes of the Underdark, and Mask of the Betrayer.

... the anthropology and ethnography of the Elder Scrolls may be unmatched though. I almost lost it when I realized the Nords were having ethnic tensions with primitives who were cousins of the Bretons but not quite the same thing.

Last edited:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't know if it's fair to include stuff like Forgotten Realms, since that spreads across literally dozens of novels, sourcebooks, games, etc.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't know if it's fair to include stuff like Forgotten Realms, since that spreads across literally dozens of novels, sourcebooks, games, etc.

If we count the setting outside video games, then I would say greater gains are accompanied by greater risks. Novels and sourcebooks can reflect badly on a setting.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
And what, Shadowrun doesn't? Also, I wouldn't be surprised if FR spreads across hundreds of novels at this point. There are a LOT of series for that shit, it's been around for a long time.

Anyways, voted Dark Souls, since it actually leaves some shit to the imagination, and was designed in such a way that the lore was meant to be told to you by other players as much as the game itself, which was genius and very effective. Gives everything the feel of a real life myth when you hear other people talking about it instead of just reading it from the game as dry facts.

laclongquan

Arcane

Then use: "Planescape Torment setting". That should limit it. And Baldur Gate/Icewind Dale series, for another option. because PST setting is different from BG/IWD

And I vote PST.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Deus Ex since it's pretty much our lore but like 10 years before it actually happened.

deuxhero

Arcane
Morrowind. I don't really think Bloodlines counts because it wasn't created for the games, likewise for Shadowrun and FR.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've voted for Forgotten Realms (if it includes Planescape setting).

Otherwise I could go for Dark Souls lore, I started to play it because my friend told me a lot of interesting lore things though the DS gameplay is not really my kind of thing.

And TWitcher lore is awesome too, I've read all the books back in the days and I like the dark fantasy and Slavonic myths mixture.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
If you're going to throw in some DnD settings, you might as well use all of them. Ravenloft, Darksun, and Dragonlance all have crpgs based on them right? I'm actually rather fond of the Dragonlance setting myself, though I still wouldn't rank it first. I'm probably missing some as well. There's also Tolkien's shit. I'm sure there's a middle earth rpg floating around somewhere.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Morrowind is a no-brainer, even if the sequels aren't as good.

I love me some Fallout but I don't think it's lore heavy or focused, really. I barely remember Arcanum's story specifics, need a replay sometime soon. I find D&D and Might and Magic lore pretty boring, personally.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
I don't see how anybody could take Forgotten Realms to "include" Planescape. It's the other way around. The interesting thing about Planescape is that it trivialises everything that is important in Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Dark Sun, and other various settings. All the politics and magic and even gods become marginal incidents in the grand scope of the Planescape setting. If you're specifying Forgotten Realms, you mean Forgotten Realms.

That said, if you're going to mention Forgotten Realms, you ought to include the other D&D settings for which there have been CRPGs. I personally sort of feel they don't count because the lore pre-existed rather than being devised for the game, but that's true for Shadowrun and Vampire: The Masquerade (and I guess the Witcher) too, so I don't know.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder if he's taking Wasteland to "include" Fallout too.

OP is a fag, etc

Longshanks

Augur
Lore needs to be extremely good (by game standards) for me to bother reading all that much of it. On that level most every game listed is a fail, really.

Games in which I have felt compelled enough to read some of the lore, or actually find out about the world? Fallout, Arcanum and PST. I'll include Thief as a non-RPG.

I know there's a lot of lore for TES and people keep telling me it's good. But what I've read of it in my short playtime of Morrowind (only TES game I've played) was not able to hold my interest.

laclongquan

Arcane
PST setting is quite specific in Forgotten realms. Different than BG/IWD. Which is why you should separate them. If you want to vote other games like so and so, make separate choice. DO NOT lump them together because Forgotten Realms setting as a whole is for faggots.

Rake

Arcane
OP includes PoE, a game that hasn't released yet and we know jack shit about, while missing AoD, PS:T Darklands etc? Seems legit.

eremita

Savant
Only a fucking retard would vote for Forgotten Realms!

Why? Just why?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom