Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

Captain Shrek

?

And why do people accept shitty design my inane friend? Because they are getting something else.

Sacculina

Educated
The Sims 2 is exactly what is killing great games. People are more interested in Social media than actual game-play.

What exactly do you mean by this with regard to The Sims 2? Genuinely curious.

Mass effect is an exact result of that: Focus more on relationships (deviant too) than the game-mechanics.

Except the game mechanics in Mass Effect 2 are actually better. Mass Effect was always popamole at heart, and judging by sea's review, it's one of the few things that Mass Effect 3 does right.

Edit:

And why do people accept shitty design my inane friend? Because they are getting something else.
So ... people are accepting shitty design because they're getting something with better gameplay?

hoopy

Savant
I posted a comment on that Mary Sue site:

So what is this about? It’s about some gamers who are intimidated by the idea of the story told by a game being more accesible to every player, removing some of the prestige that comes with playing a game to completion.

There's no prestige in completing the vast majority of today's games. Why do you think everyone is always talking about a game's length? It implies that completion is guaranteed given enough time, just like in a movie. In ye olde days you could play a game for a year and never finish it, because it was so difficult.

I would like to know why everything should be "accessible" to everyone. If someone doesn't like action or roleplaying games and has no time for them, why are they even playing them? So they can enjoy the third rate story and cringe-inducing dialogue? They should be playing adventure games, visual novels and dating sims (I mean proper ones, not BioWare's), which have much better writing and no action. Or they could watch playthroughs on YouTube, or just forget about most video games and watch movies instead.

So-called hardcore gamers don't really care if some housewife wants to play Angry Birds or Farmville, even if they look down on those games. What they are concerned about is that their games will become more and more watered down. Designing a game around the idea that almost all of it can be skipped is going to have consequences.

Everything is not for everyone. It's true for music, movies and books, so why wouldn't it be true for video games?

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Yeah, the Sims could be pretty fun as a simulator for the kinds of human experimentation that's illegal pretty much everywhere. Putting things the Sims really need or want behind traps and deadly obstacles, to test their resolve in getting them. Creating increasingly difficult to escape 'prisons of fun' out of children's play equipment and deadly objects. That sort of thing.

You just have to be careful, otherwise like me, you'll be on the receiving end of 'what the fuck did you do with my Sims save game' from your girlfriend or sister, and will have to do some serious explaining to convince them that you're not some twisted psycho. Of course, when it was my younger sister who asked, and I tried to explain, she just laughed and said that she did fucked up shit to the Sims too, she just made that nice house because she preferred to start off giving them an awesome life before turning it into a twisted nightmare, to increase the impact. Sort of surprising, given that she's the very normal, cheerful, outgoing type, not the weird emo bitch you expect that sort of shit from. I wasn't sure whether to be proud or disturbed.

Mass Effect, on the other hand, is just a game that doesn't really succeed at being a shooter or an RPG, and has value solely in unintentionally lulzy writing, like a rather bad B-movie.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
?

And why do people accept shitty design my inane friend? Because the Sims.

You are blaming shitty design decisions in one game on another game that made design decisions that suited its own purposes. The blame lies not with the Sims, but with the developer who made those decisions.

Why does the consumer accept those poor decisions? Ask BSN. However, you are accusing a game like the Sims as if it engineered the RPG audience to demand relationships in their games. On the contrary, I think it's Bioware that sought to capture the Sims' audience by imitating, poorly, games that appeal to casual gamers. You're faulting a game for revealing to a dev that a casual audience existed? What kind of non-logic is this? Quit being a moron.

Sacculina

Educated
An analogy for you, Captain: 'This mandatory stealth section in my shooter sucks. Therefore Thief is the worst thing that ever happened to gaming!'

Captain Shrek

Why does the consumer accept those poor decisions? Ask BSN. However, you are accusing a game like the Sims as if it engineered the RPG audience to demand relationships in their games. On the contrary, I think it's Bioware that sought to capture the Sims' audience by imitating, poorly, games that appeal to casual gamers.

I have and always will blame the consumer. But its just a matter of intellectual honesty in admitting that Sims 2 is more of a social relations simulator than any other genre of a game. That's exactly what I said. I automatically hold such games in great contempt for the simple reason that they are more about implementing text than actual game-play. Rather gameplay is text(ual interaction).

Sacculina

Educated
I automatically hold such games in great contempt for the simple reason that they are more about implementing text than actual game-play. Rather gameplay is text(ual interaction).

What do you mean by textual interaction? Please provide examples. Also, I blame Thief and Deus Ex for the decline of shooters.

Captain Shrek

I probably should qualify that comment.

I refuse to argue merits of games with people who think that Thief or DX were great SHOOTERS. I doubt with that judgment you'd be able to rationally argue about anything else. Inb4 GD shitposter comment.

Sacculina

Educated

I refuse to argue merits of games with people who think that Thief or DX were great SHOOTERS. I doubt with that judgment you'd be able to rationally argue about anything else. Inb4 GD shitposter comment.
Did I say they were shooters? Please actually read other people's posts before you reply to them. I think you've failed to see what I was getting at.

Captain Shrek

Did I say they were shooters? Please actually read other people's posts before you reply to them. I think you've failed to see what I was getting at.

:troll:
Actually true in that those games gave me a standard that nearly all shooters since have failed to reach.

I made it pink (magenta?) so you could sympathize with it a bit more.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Can't believe I never knew about this video until now. This Rageaholic guy is pretty :obviously:.

Sacculina

Educated
@Captain Shrek

since

[sins]
adverb
from then till now (often preceded by ever)
between a particular past time and the present

Further clarification, as reading comprehension is obviously not your strong suit: 'shooters that have been released since the publication of Thief and Deus Ex'.

Now please tell me whether you're actually played The Sims 2.

Captain Shrek

Stop improvising. The right thing should have been admitting your mistake and moving on.

Sacculina

Educated
Stop improvising. The right thing should have been admitting your mistake and moving on.
Right back at you. Next time, do restrict yourself to topics you're actually familiar with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom