Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Wizards and Warriors !

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I didn't think about that. But then I swore an oath never to create a Myspace page. I remember a discussion (don't remember if it was here or at NMA) about whether or not Myspace users should be shot. I was all for it. Even though some of my best friends have such a page.

I know, I'm not easy. :oops:

SkeleTony

Augur
Well...you could be like Moby and rationalize that you are using 'The Man' against himself or something.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
I can set up an FTP account for you on my website that you can host your images on.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Sovy Kurosei said:
I can set up an FTP account for you on my website that you can host your images on.

Well thanks, that would be cool if it's no trouble for you.

DraQ said:
Real Codexer would use a slave with myspace account.

I'm sorely tempted, but no. I'm not a real codexer I guess. I don't maintain slaves. At least not for long. This made me laugh btw, since it's been posted on this very Codex.

GothRP2201_468x665.jpg

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Jasede said:
Snake Temple. Why does every fucking game have a Snake Temple? This is starting to piss me off oh so very extremely. First I played Amberstar... it had a Snake Temple. Then I played Ambermoon... it had a Snake Temple. Then I played this... and voila, Snake Temple! God, I hope Might & Magic VI doesn't have a fucking Snake Temple...
Iirc it doesn't.

But there's a Temple of the Snake in one of the regions. :D

Also, you'll meet dozens of snakes in one of the first dungeons already.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Before I start, I have to thank Sovy Kurosei for hosting my screenshots. Thanks a lot man ! :wink:

Ok ! Back to W&W.

We left our party facing doors and levers...

There are 5 doors and 4 levers that can be switched up or down. So 16 possibilities. We got more than 16 spare coins so we try them untill all five doors are open.

PS0220.jpg

All the doors release monsters, but also have treasure chests.

PS0222.jpg

This wall looks suspicious. Let's try the key given to us by that mad priest on that lock.

PS0223.jpg

Yes ! Opened.

PS0226.jpg

The hidden statue. In front are some ankhs and an amulet. Kerah seems to totally love Ladonna, seeing that dialogue screen.

PS0227.jpg

Cool amulet. Ladonna can already cast resurrection though. Can't be sold unfortunately, like some other items in this game

PS0228.jpg

This is where the nectar is made. This big wheel activates the crusher in the back.

PS0229.jpg

We use an empty flask to collect the nectar.

PS0230.jpg

Let's go to the "nursery" to get some eggs now. See those big round shadows on the ground ?

PS0231.jpg

Yes, spiders. I wanted to take a screenshot of them falling off the ceiling, but I wasn't fast enough.

PS0232.jpg

We put some eggs in the crusher and go activate the wheel.

PS0233.jpg

We have a new potion in the formerly empty flask.

PS0234.jpg

That's spider nectar alright.

PS0235.jpg

Now we arrive in the library. There are 4 such pedestals. We have four figurines...

PS0238.jpg

Let's try to put a figurine on the pedestal.

PS0239.jpg

Bingo ! We do it on each of the four pedestals and a part of the floor becomes a lift that leads straight to...

PS0240.jpg

The wizard's study. Here we find both the serpent's wand and the "Scroll of trickery" needed for the bard's quest.

PS0236.jpg

Before leaving we use another figurine on a unique pedestal. It makes part of the wall slide down and uncovers a desk with a book on it.

PS0237.jpg

That's the book. It will be useful later. For now we are out of "cure poison" potions and want to go back to town...

PS0241.jpg

Kingcomrade becomes a barbarian.

Vazdru and Vdweller bring back 10 serpent coins each and get a new thieves guild quest : Bring back a book from the Shurugeon castle.

PS0242.jpg

Inside the guilds you can train to upgrade skills or buy new ones, like "sneak" here.

PS0243.jpg

Ladonna is now a monk. She joins the bushi guild ang gets this quest to deliver an arrow to a samurai.

PS0244.jpg

We do some shopping and exit the town with only one gp left ! Note that I completely forgot to promote Vdweller to bard. Hindsight is 20/20.

Back in the temple we go for the summoning ritual since we now have all the ingredients.

PS0246.jpg

The naga appears in the fire. You should see her whole head but only the tongue appears on this shot.

PS0247.jpg

She asks a series of questions that we answer by reading from the Servant's book.

PS0248.jpg

The way is now open.

PS0249.jpg

It leads to this empty room with a lone lever.

PS0250.jpg

Activating it makes us fall in a pit. We heal the falling damage immediately. In the next room behind that round "stuff" we are told that a large body is moving.

PS0251.jpg

The naga hides just behind the disk. That is one serious fight waiting for us.

PS0257.jpg

Let's buff !

PS0258.jpg

Now let's fight. There are exploits to make this fight easier but we ain't no pussy team, so we go for the throat !

PS0259.jpg

Vdweller, who believes in science (the fool) tries the potion that Kerielle gave us. It's a measly "sleep-naga-naga" potion. I guess you can get past her and do the rest of the dungeon that way. We won't do that. The next hit awakes her and the fight goes on.

PS0260.jpg

We hold on very well, we were very lucky. Volourn succeded in blinding her with a "Dazzle" spell so she hardly hits us. That same spell turned the spider (that joined the naga during the fight, as if she was not enough by herself...) insane so it now fights the naga. The naga is almost dead...

PS0261.jpg

Dead ! The 612 xp are for the spider. The naga was worth 12500xp. Global level-up move !

Here there is a little gap in my story. I accidentally erased some 10 screenshots. So after killing the naga, we entered a maze of corridors and lifts, met an important serpent priest who guarded the high priestress. Killed him and got a key. Arrived at the center of the temple where we met the priestress wearing "The masque of death". Were sorely insulted for killing the naga. Had to fight her and a good bunch of high ranking priests that launched very high dammage spells. A great fight. Fighters whacked the priestress while Volourn's spells took care of the priests and Ladonna healed like crazy. Even the thieves mostly used heal potions on everyone during that fight. I'm pissed ! The shots of that fight were fine... Anyway, we now come back to a more visual experience.

PS0263.jpg

The high priestress is dead so we can examine the altar. Nothing. We leave.

PS0264.jpg

On the way back we open a locked door now that we have the key from the priest. Inside we open two treasure chests filled with loot. One of them contains...

PS0265.jpg

The tome of fire. This screenshot is for Jasede (the real one I mean). That's one down, three to go.

PS0266.jpg

Back in town, Vdweller finally becomes a bard.

PS0267.jpg

we bring back the Serpent's wand to the gipsies leader. She gives us the orb of clarity.

PS0269.jpg

She also opens her secret stash ! Cool !

PS0270.jpg

More loot !

PS0271.jpg

Back in town. Volourn buys the identify skill. At fucking last ! But he sucks at it for now.

PS0272.jpg

Ready to leave for unexplored territory... Next update !

That's it for this time. Btw, our team members that recently were promoted to a new class, got access to guilds they couldn't get in before. Like Vdweller being a bard, can now join the wizards guild. So I backtracked some, to make them do older guild quests, such as giving the potion to Mekdawa. But I just mention it here and won't show it. It's a boring part of the game, you're better off without it.

PS0256.jpg

Special screenshot of the day : First go at the naga. Not buffed enough ! Also, humour on the last sentence.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
The lack of replies does not deter me. Here's a new update.

PS0273.jpg

The sun rises on a new country...

PS0274.jpg

This is not friendly territory.

PS0275.jpg

Some derelict house.

PS0276.jpg

Behind the house, ratlings...

PS0278.jpg

Vazdru tries to befriend Scanthril, the leader of the ratlings. It doesn't work too well.

PS0280.jpg

Scanthril admits that his gang is responsible for Gareth assassination (Gareth was the old man at the start of the game). It was a contract for ELyssia, the high priestess that we killed in the temple. He also says that the hidden circle are whimps. :) Then he asks us to kill a stout in the stout mines. We accept immediately since... you know... that's how you can have one of your characters become an assassin. But hush ! That's metagaming.

After talking with the pack of ratlings we prepare for one of the, if not THE, hardest fight in the game. Since the party will make it only because of Volourn's spells, let him show you how it's done :

PS0284.jpg

You see my friends, just at the other side of this passage in the woods, reside the hardest ennemy you can encounter...

PS0282.jpg

The amazoni mantraps ! If you see them this close...

PS0283.jpg

...this happens. So you don't want to get too close.

PS0285.jpg

First prepare a deadly ranged AoE spell. "Burning haze" will do the trick just fine...

PS0286.jpg

What you want to do is get the hellish walking plants in your cursor, but as far as possible. Like this. With the spell prepared. You cast it (even two if you have the time) and get the fuck away.

PS0290.jpg

Then quietly wait for the fire dammage to be over.

PS0292.jpg

Repeat the operation.

PS0293.jpg

Untill it pays ! r00fles !

PS0295.jpg

We kill all four of them just in time. Volourn is out of mana (see the 0 under the spell's name ?) and out of mana potions. Thanks lizzord pal ! You got us rid of what is probably the worst nuisance of the game.

PS0296.jpg

THAT is the second nuisance of this area. A flying dragon constantly patroling the neighbourhood and attacking. And don' t even think of fighting back. First the party is way too low level, and second the dragon is flying. No, running away is the only safe option. But he'll get what's coming to him... eventually.

Now we have to find castle Shurugeon. First because Vazdru must become a ninja and the quest is there. Second because Jasede must become a samurai and the quest in the vicinity of the castle. I'm not supposed to know that, but I played the game already.

PS0298.jpg

We meet a whole tribe of aggressive rogues. Those little dudes are hard to kill, but then, it's loot galore !

PS0300.jpg

At night we finally reach the castle.

PS0301.jpg

The main door is locked, as it should be. Let's try to find a back way in.

PS0302.jpg

While walking along the edge of the castle, we meet this undead samurai and send him back to death. On his remains Jasede finds the baton he needs for his quest.

PS0303.jpg

Hey look ! A way in the castle's courtyard !

PS0304.jpg

Sod it ! Undead. Let's try to keep the noise down, unless more appear.

PS0305.jpg

Yeah, right.

PS0306.jpg

Let's enter this tower on the side of the main gate.

PS0308.jpg

After a fight with an undead guardian, we reach the top of the tower. Pulling this lever opens the castle's main door.

PS0310.jpg

Yes, we can exit by the main way now. And go back to town. Prom is in the air tonight.

PS0311.jpg

Jasede is promoted to samurai.

PS0312.jpg

And Vazdru to ninja.

Now back to adventuring the land outside...

PS0315.jpg

We meet this griffin. Shitty screenshot sorry. Anyway we kill it.

PS0317.jpg

More undead in a little cemetary.

PS0321.jpg

This chick, who looks suspiciously like Kerielle, wants us to deliver a letter to her friend Hephaestus ( :roll: ) who lives with that charming dragon. Will do. Next time...

That's it for this update. I'm considering making a "mini update" consisting only of different screens of the characters sheets (4 per character). Paper dolls, skills, characteristics, classes, etc... all would be shown.

It could show you how far they have progressed since they started, and some inside look at the rules. So let me know what you think about it.

PS0318.jpg

Special screenshot of the day : Ladonna wearing the "Masque of Evil". She's teh funny !

ecliptic

Liturgist
I really loved this game, but when I played the serpent key vanished off that one snake guy's body you find at the entrance to the serpent temple after I killed him .. very sad day. Maybe I'll fire it up again, the last time I had as much fun with a game as W&W was Wiz 7 and 8, though 8 seemed a bit too easy.

Of course, I did beat 8, and never even came close with 7...

cardtrick

Arbiter
So . . . I want this game. Seems like the next best thing to Wizardry 8 until I learn to stomach older interfaces.

Anyone know of anywhere to buy it new or for download? Amazon/eBay have used copies, but I'd prefer it with a manual/box if possible, or with the instant gratification of a download.

cardtrick

Arbiter
Lonely Vazdru said:
That's it for this update. I'm considering making a "mini update" consisting only of different screens of the characters sheets (4 per character). Paper dolls, skills, characteristics, classes, etc... all would be shown.

It could show you how far they have progressed since they started, and some inside look at the rules. So let me know what you think about it.

I'd be interested, if it's not too much work.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
ecliptic said:
I really loved this game, but when I played the serpent key vanished off that one snake guy's body you find at the entrance to the serpent temple after I killed him .. very sad day.

If you mean Kol the heretic, the priest you talk to outside the temple, then it doesn't matter. The key is not needed to finish the temple or the game. It just opens a secret area with a talking statue and a couple of items. Nothing mandatory.
If it's one of the priests inside the temple, then yes, your game is lost.

ecliptic said:
Of course, I did beat 8, and never even came close with 7...

I did finish Wizardry 7, but I must admit I used a walkthrough for some parts of the game. :oops:

cardtrick said:
I'd be interested, if it's not too much work.

Not at all. I love to share my passion for character sheets as much as the next geek. :P

SkeleTony

Augur
Don't be deterred by lack of replies. I am reading this and I don't even like the game much.

Andhaira

Arcane
@cardtrick: Play Anvil of Dawn. its available at abandonia for free and legal.

cardtrick

Arbiter
Andhaira said:
@cardtrick: Play Anvil of Dawn. its available at abandonia for free and legal.

Thanks for the suggestion, Andhaira. I looked into it and I may try it someday, but at the moment I'm in the mood for a game with character creation and party-based combat. I will likely play this someday when I feel like playing a single-character game, but not before playing Lands of Lore (which this seems to be heavily based on).

Andhaira

Arcane
Well, there's always this then: (ravenloft II)

http://www.the-underdogs.info/downloadf ... zip&id=883

Though its an older interface, it drips with flavor (ravenloft you see)

Note: Anvil of Dawn is its own game. its NOT based on LoL in anyway (except in both games you select your PC from a list of 4; basically a fighter, mage, thirf, mishmash of all 3) But yeah, LoL is good too.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Are the screenshots downloading at an acceptable speed? I sometimes get complaints that it is too slow.

cardtrick

Arbiter
Sovy Kurosei said:
Are the screenshots downloading at an acceptable speed? I sometimes get complaints that it is too slow.

Seems very fast to me. This whole page of the thread, with all these screenshots, takes about 3 seconds to load (after clearing my cache and refreshing).

afewhours

Scholar
I'm really enjoying this, Vazdru. I'm really intrigued by what I've seen of this game, so I may go hunting for it once I'm done with Star Trail!

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Here's the little "special" update showing a deeper look at characters sheets.

I'll start with the main sheet, in a before/after comparison between the start and now. I'll just comment on the stats increases, but the other parts of the screens are interesting as well. Like the "Hit", "Parry" and "Speed" bonuses. Also the number of kills is displayed. I always loved that feature. The little number next to each character's portrait, on the right, is the armor class. But it is rounded down. The exact number is shown here too. Here is also where most resistances are displayed. I must admit I don't really care about that part. I just glance at it once in a while.

PS0015.jpg

PS0015b.jpg

KC started with 82 stat-points and now has 98. He mostly used his points for physical stats, except for Intellect, since the more you have, the more skill points you get when leveling. Also two point were invested in presence to be able to train as a Barbarian.

PS0016.jpg

PS0016b.jpg

Jasede started with 85 points and now has 99. Also mainly used in physical stats except Intellect. Now I also start to rise his Spirituality, since as a Samurai he can cast spells.

PS0017.jpg

PS0017b.jpg

Vazdru started with 74 points and now has 97. This is due to blatant favoritism, him being my char, and the fact that he often got three stat points when leveling. Maybe due to him being a ratling, I don't know. Points were invested almost everywhere, since he needs almost all stats, and he wanted to become a Ninja.

PS0018.jpg

PS0018b.jpg

VDweller started with 73 points and now has 86 points. He was obviously ripped-off in this game and it shows. Even I didn't really notice until now, I'll make it up to him. :oops: As a jack of all trades, almost all stats were increased.

PS0019.jpg

PS0019b.jpg

Ladonna started with 81 points and now has 100. More points than I would have wished were invested in physical stats, but they were just too low, and she was to become a Monk.

PS0020.jpg

PS0020b.jpg

Volourn started with 72 points and now has 92. Increases were mostly mental.

Now for the "secondary" sheets. I'll explain what doesn't seem "self-explanatory" to me.

Paper dolls & Inventory.

PS0323.jpg

KC is almost covered in chain mail, except the boots. He wields a +1 long sword, and carries many things that are useless but can be sold for quite some cash.

PS0327.jpg

Jasede is starting to use Samurai gear. He still wields the very good spear from Shinwiki. He carries nothing here except a quest item.

PS0331.jpg

Vazdru has minimal armor, using a Samurai kimono until he finds some cool Ninja suit. He ducks blows, so he needs to be light, hence the minimal armor aspect. He weilds a +1 dagger. He carries a quest item, the gold serpent's coins left and various lockpicks, in case he has trouble unlocking something. Also a side dagger for weilding daggers akimbo, but that is for later.

PS0335.jpg

VDweller has leather armor and wields a +1 short sword. As well as bow with +1 and poison arrows. He carries most of the unique items. I don't know why, like that iron poker, or those spider's eggs. But he insists on carrying them. He's the part of me that doesn't let unique or weird items go. That same part that suffered immensely in BG. But at least was rewarded with the trousers' thing. As a bard he also bought himslef his first instrument. A lute that casts the "Bless" spell.

PS0339.jpg

Ladonna has just a leather armor and strikes with her bare hands. Being a monk that's all she needs. And it's fine that way since Omphaaz sized armors are rare to find. She carries some potions and some quest items. She's the one who carries mana potions for Volourn because weirdly, those can't be used on self.

PS0343.jpg

Volourn has nice magical items : robes, cap and jewellry. He wields a +1 poison staff that is cursed. He can't drop it and looses hit points regularly, but not as much as he regenerates, so it's worth using it. He carries all books and unidentified items (I've been drooling over that plate armor for some time now, but he can't indentify it yet...). That's one of the cool aspects of having a lizzord as a wizard. He can carry lots of weight. For a wizard that is.

Skills & Traits.

PS0325.jpg

Athletics make the character better at running/jumping/swimming and reduces damage from falls (I take it for all chars when possible). Gallantry weirdly means better odds at fighting. Fury means 10% chance to deal or receive double damage. Bloodscent means he can smell enemies from a distance.

PS0329.jpg

Leadership makes it harder for the character to be hit, and he takes less damage, but he is targeted more often. Prowess means more attacks per round. Ancestral guide increases chance to hit succesfully.

PS0333.jpg

Gold digger means better items and more gold in treasure chests. Cloak of night gives the ability to hide in shadows.

PS0337.jpg

Natural leader means better fighting odds for the whole party.

PS0341.jpg

Mana seed makes mana regeneration faster. Cabalist is the ability to enchant items. It has to be used with spells, at a temple, for a big fee. It's a part of the game I'm not familiar with, never really used it in my previous games. Just as with 3.5 D&D I tend to stay away from items crafting. Nature's keeper makes it less likely that animals will attack her. One of the shittiest Traits in the game for me...

PS0345.jpg

Artifacts is actually identify. Snakeskin grants 50% resistance to poison. Ancient lore allows to get the artifacts/identify skill.

Levels & Guilds Ranks.

PS0326.jpg

PS0330.jpg

PS0334.jpg

PS0338.jpg

PS0342.jpg

PS0346.jpg

That's it for this special update. Feel free to ask any questions.

I'm currently playing a nice dungeon in the game. It was a decent attempt at humour and originality in the game. It did not totally succeed, but it is still pretty cool.You'll see that in the next, and soon to come, REAL update. :wink:

cardtrick

Arbiter
I asked over at Ironworks Gaming Forum, where they have a surprisingly active Wizards and Warriors board, and was told that it's fine to buy the game used without a manual, since it's included on the CD. I just ordered a copy off some guy on Amazon marketplace. I can't wait to play this, it seems like exactly what I'm looking for at the moment.

Lonely Vazdru said:
Vazdru started with 74 points and now has 97. This is due to blatant favoritism, him being my char, and the fact that he often got three stat points when leveling. Maybe due to him being a ratling, I don't know.

Not totally sure I understand this. Do you mean you just reloaded more times when leveling with him to be sure to get more stat points? Or were there times along the way when you could allocate some kind of bonus stat points to one character only, and you chose him? (I admit, I've read most of the Let's Play, but there have been times I've skimmed, so I may have missed something.)

Lonely Vazdru said:
KC is almost covered in chain mail, except the boots. He wields a +1 long sword . . .

I really like that, as far into the game as you seem to be, characters still just have +1 items and some are poorly equipped. I like being excited to find a good new item, not so overwhelmed with loot that I don't even bother to keep most of it.

Lonely Vazdru said:
She's the one who carries mana potions for Volourn because weirdly, those can't be used on self.

:shock: That's just bizarre.

Lonely Vazdru said:
I'm currently playing a nice dungeon in the game. It was a decent attempt at humour and originality in the game. It did not totally succeed, but it is still pretty cool.You'll see that in the next, and soon to come, REAL update. :wink:

Looking forward to it.

SkeleTony

Augur
What the fuck is up with D.W. Bradley?! He always insists on weird shit like Samurai being spellcasters and oddball names for skills that just do not make sense. Same things he did in the Wizardry games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom