Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Silent Storm!

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Thanks to Good Old Games, my reservations against doing this LP have disappeared. Well. Most of them. There's still the issue of time required, and what my wife will say, but I'm confident that she is a patient woman, and I've completed several LPs so far without having any serious falling outs because of it.
So I'm banking on my wifes continued goodwill. Let's hope it lasts. :drink:
Anyhow, you've clicked on this thread in the hopes of seeing the actual game being played, and in that respect I shall not disappoint! :salute:
Those of you who've read my other LPs know that I prefer the screenshot based LPs, and this will be no exception. But with that said, I wouldn't want to cheat you out of the intro video, short as it is.

This video doesn't tell us much, but it does foreshadow at least some of what is to come.
Silent Storm is a tactical roleplaying game, according to the wikipedia article. (Be advised that the wikipedia article is choke full of spoilers. Read it at your own risk.) It was developed by Nival Interactive and published by JoWood back in 2003. It's 9 years old by now, but I feel it has aged gracefully. It's turn based combat, and it takes place in World War 2 in an alternate history. The roleplaying part mostly comes down to having skilltrees that you choose perks from, as your characters level up by completing objectives and killing enemies. It's also full of skills, and these skills are raised through usage. There's an inherent flaw in this, which I'll come back to later, but thankfully, Modders have Fixed It. M:
Enough stalling, you've seen the intro, might as well get dug in.

wKweL.jpg

As you can see, I'm running the 1.2 version, which should be the newest. The Gold edition they sell at GoG.com seems to be running the latest patch and it has been working beautifully for me so far. :salute:
The custom game option lets you handle mods from inside the game interface. I've installed two mods. The Watchdog mod and the Axis wehrmacht skins mod. The first one fixes skill progression (will touch on this in greater detail in a short while), and the second merely changes the appearance of some models in-game. I'm sticking as close to vanilla as possible so you can see the game as the developers intended. :hero:
There are some choices to be made in this game, and the first couple of those face us immediately:

AuYQO.jpg

JVWlz.jpg

7qqDu.jpg

uyKNw.jpg

aDEwE.jpg

We need to choose sides, already before the game starts. :smug: And difficulty as well.
Guess what I chose.

gnN4w.jpg

I've never completed an Axis game before, and I can't be arsed to play on impossible, as this LP is more about showing you the game than me parading my flaws and/or skills to the public. My LP, I decide. :troll:
The next choice up to us is what class our main character is to have. There are a total of six to choose between:

SSQ0U.jpg

f1kX3.jpg

YCIB0.jpg

Nl0Yq.jpg

hKB8d.jpg

QhoC3.jpg

Of course, there's also the option of customising our avatar, so that's what I chose obviously. :obviously:

houqI.jpg

CcOkb.jpg

I choose a male, as the abandoned LP chzr ran 2 years back featured a female protagonist, and I didn't want to plagiarize completely.

fLw1U.jpg

4er3D.jpg

Though I do still make our main a german sniper. :salute:

E1vSj.jpg

f8oY4.jpg

Meet Angry Codexer, codename Kodex. His stats were slightly tweaked, lowering his strength, and he starts with max dex. Attributes as well as skills, will increase as the associated skills increase with usage. Even so, having the right attributes high from the beginning will help, as it boosts the linked skills. (shooting and action points being among the most important ones for dex)
With that done, all that is left is to click next, and we're subjected to the mission loading screen.

ullDM.jpg

And I'll show you the intro to the very first mission, all done with the in-game engine (which was reused for several later titles).

Isn't the german accent hilarious? :lol:
Anyway, for the actual mission, I've decided to hide the screenshots beneath the spoiler tag, to reduce the scrolling necessary to navigate this very first post in this LP:

Immediately upon starting the mission, our first hints pop up.

p5TBs.jpg

Io7aI.jpg

This first mission serves as a tutorial, even though there is also an actual tutorial mission available. It does do a good job of familiarizing one with the interface, which is rather intuitive from the get go.
Now, let's take a look at the different buttons and what they do.

lBJkL.jpg

The lower part of the screen is divided into several parts. To the left-most part is the character portrait of the currently selected character, in this case Kodex. Over him hovers his vitality point bar, flanked by the action points he has. The action points are even more clearly spelled out just to the right of him, and below that are 6 boxes where different sorts of status effects can be listed. We'll cover them in more detail as they become relevant.
Next to that are two windows where you can drag whatever items you want to be possible to quick-ready. In these shots, the first window contains our sniper rifle, and the next is empty. Quite a bit like Fallout, eh? :bro:
Next to the quick-ready windows is a scale which lets us choose what floors are visible. Currently, it's set to the highest one available, meaning we see the roof of the only building on this map. If we want to see inside the building, we need to choose another visible "floor".

nlMQ1.jpg

Please ignore the background, this screenshot is from a bit into the mission, where switching floors became relevant. :M
The 8 buttons next to the elevation slider are the action buttons.

tNE7G.jpg

The first one is the attack button. The action point cost is noted in blue. This is Important. Once you've aimed (shot at a particular target the first time) the AP cost will be reduced for consecutive attacks. The weapon wielded also determines what the AP cost is. Rifles aren't quick to use, but they do pack a punch.

OvgJP.jpg

The next button is the move button. You plot a move by right clicking on the screen. If you do not double-click, then you can click the move button to actually carry out the movement order. I seldomly use this button. :M

lvopE.jpg

The look button is important, as LoS is very important in this game. Walking briskly into a room without looking to both sides could get you killed. :smug:

Wn1IJ.jpg

The cancel action button is used to cancel a move action. It's easier to use the shortcut key though. This is another button rarely used.

YYzaV.jpg

Now this button will see plenty of use! :kfc: We click it to enter its submenu.

rvZog.jpg

H51bq.jpg

AiHyA.jpg

dNcSs.jpg

This rifle supports 4 firing modes, all with their advantages and disadvantages. As Kodex is a sniper, I'll mostly be using the last of these modes. :smug:

k7Vdd.jpg

This button is also important. It also has a submenu.

ZjVlu.jpg

FEUe9.jpg

K7g7w.jpg

aIPFr.jpg

The actual effects of the stances are explained well enough in my opinion. They all have pros and cons, but for this mission, Kodex will be spending most of his time prone, to increase his odds of hitting while decreasing those of him being hit.

G5LE1.jpg

Enabling strafe mode is handy for stepping out from behind a corner to fire a few shots, before retreating into safety. That is, unless the enemy manages to interrupt your action.. :troll:

thYmA.jpg

Hiding can be very powerful, but poor Kodex doesn't have the option currently, due to him being in plain view of two hostiles.
I'll not bother explaining what the end turn button does. :roll:
At the top of the screen there are 4 buttons.

6pUlF.jpg

Menu button is self-explanatory.

MPuLZ.jpg

Leave button likewise. Note that it changes colour depending on whether you're allowed to leave yet, and hovering over it pops a tooltip explaining why, if it's still red.

r9oz7.jpg

RxoBa.jpg

Objective button should also be quite transparent in what it is for. The objectives screen can be quite useful, if you're not quite sure what to do next in a mission. Most missions are rather straightforward though, so you really should not get stuck..

qJk9c.jpg

q8nxb.jpg

npvF0.jpg

rXrmF.jpg

VyMLt.jpg

And finally the journal, which doesn't exactly overflow with information currently. It does list previous tutorial popups so you can revisit it for a recap as necessary. :salute:
Now, there were two buttons on the HuD that I haven't touched yet.

MnJCe.jpg

First up is the character panel. It has 4 submenus. The first one being the actual character page. This is loaded with all your attributes and stats and tells us what they do, if we mouseover. The black part of the attribute/skill in question will gradually fill with blue, and once completely full, it'll level up and a blue arrow appears next to it. Handy for keeping track.
For an explanation of what all the stats and skills represent, look behind the spoiler tag.
AO9W9.jpg

m2m3L.jpg

zqJOx.jpg

Kz5f5.jpg

aJqpd.jpg

zMEGR.jpg

GSBCS.jpg

7n6zF.jpg

SK1jF.jpg

L12KZ.jpg

b8lmI.jpg

o4iZe.jpg

BLz7I.jpg

nAKyO.jpg

2qkG8.jpg

zZ4kI.jpg

XUlLL.jpg

it5vB.jpg
In the bottom part of the character panel there are 4 buttons. The left-most one simply closes the panel down. The other three leads to other info panels.

vJw0o.jpg

Q7Oln.jpg

The abilities panel is our skill tree. Each level up nets us one point to put in any of these. Only one point per ability, you cannot choose one several times, and the further down the tree you go, the better the ability. Usually. I'm aiming for the always crit one for Kodex. :smug:

3Woea.jpg

7LLjQ.jpg

This next panel is the history panel. Its all fluff, so once you've read it once, you won't be returning here. It's still nice though. :bro:
The final panel is the medal panel.

49yYe.jpg

We've done nothing noteworthy yet, no medals for us. :roll:
We exit the character panel and press the button with the backpack icon next.

5NRxs.jpg

DREI4.jpg

This allows us to acces our inventory. Note that the second screenshot is from the end of this mission, just imagine we started the mission with our rifle, some spare ammo, and a roll of adhesive medical tape..
That's enough of interface ogling. Time to shoot some armed civilians! :yeah:

RndGU.jpg

EPxvE.jpg

qKgY8.jpg

Before we're allowed to act, we're barraged by three more hit pages. They're useful though, especially the loot page, about pressing the ALT key. You want to remember this, makes sorting through available loot much easier. :thumbsup:

b7Ta7.jpg

Here we've dispatched our first enemy, and Kodex is already all smug. :incline: Note though that he did shoot twice to make the kill. I hope and expect Kodex to man up a bit in the coming missions. :rpgcodex:

v9V0E.jpg

aNKVX.jpg

Here we see the elevation slider in effect. We could see that an enemy was inside the building, but to actually get a visual, we had to peel away the roof and top floor.

GG9Mb.jpg

Here you can see the sniping interface coming into play in the lower right corner. The 5 new buttons are in order, 1: spend all possible APs on aiming, 2: spend all possible APs on aiming except for what is needed to fire, 3: spend 10 more APs aiming, 4: spend 1 more AP aiming, 5: fire.
What I'm also doing in this screenshot, is that I am aiming for the head of the enemy. Using the num-pad keys, you can target different body parts. Holding numpad 8 down targets the head. Useful for getting critical hits, and it's just satisfying sniping for the head. :smug:

AcSx1.jpg

One shot, one kill. :incline:
This game features ragdoll physics. This can be highly amusing, especially later when we get access to high-power rifles. Most of the environment is also destructible, leading to interesting possibilities when it comes to killing off the enemy. :smug:

jGyfo.jpg

nRwVS.jpg

rV3Zu.jpg

The last enemy amuses us by throwing one-liners at us, but he also manages to wound Kodex. He takes it in stride however, as this is the only way of actually improving your vitality point attribute. You need to take wounds without dying...

tUQd4.jpg

Once we finish off the white-clad gentleman, this popup appears. In some missions, this first one included, we'll need to carry someone someplace special to end the mission.
For now though, we let the bastard lie bleeding on the floor and explore our surroundings a bit more. Firing the finishing shot earned us a levelup!

3HSp7.jpg

THzei.jpg

X9DCp.jpg

The flashing plus sign tells us this, and we spend an ability point on being able to shoot through cover. Always a nice skill for a sniper. :salute:

tEbci.jpg

Mzpsx.jpg

Running around, exploring the bank, I notice Kodex bragging about becoming better, and when I enter the character panel, I notice that his action points have gone up.
The maximum level for skills is determined by your level and how high the corresponding attribute is. So whenever you gain a level, the new max means you train said skill faster. If you're lagging behind, training said skill becomes easier.
I've found this snippet of information:
"Interesting stuff:
Thanks to Bandures at the Nival forums we know that the absolute fastest that a skill can increase is 0.1 points per use. For a classes primary skill (i.e. soldier = shooting) that means 10 uses will raise the skill by 1 point.
According to the data I have collected from setxplevel a classes main skill should progress about 7 points per level.
That means a soldier would have to fire a gun 70 times every level in order to stay on the slope for their class. Now for a soldier in this game that might be possible. Medics and engineers will have a tougher time using their special skills 70 time per level!"
While I let that sit for a moment, we stop to admire our inventory after looting everything possible on this map.

RPd3v.jpg

cOOpg.jpg

mle3x.jpg

d6icy.jpg

FauNL.jpg

Az637.jpg

Some classes are better suited to some weapons than other. Scoped rifles are a no-brainer for snipers, whereas silenced weapons are nice for a scout to have. Burst and heavy weapons are most effective in the hands of soldiers, grenades for grenadiers, and medics/engineers, well, they're OK with rifles.
Now, Kodex got nicked in battle, so we set him to the task of patching himself up.

96YyE.jpg

6cVwq.jpg

DQlEF.jpg

While he's performing first aid on himself, a blue plus-sign indicates he's a patient temporarily. Once his wounds are patched up, the lost health is denoted in brown instead of red on his hitpoint bar. This means he's not properly healed yet, but he suffers no penalties due to his wounds.
Having picked up everything not nailed down, we can now finish the mission.

sfHrK.jpg

YrREb.jpg

iuCfw.jpg

Except we drop the body just before reaching the car.
Why?
Because skills increase with usage. This is both neat, but also kind of stupid, as it means you're better off doing mindless, repetetive tasks to keep your skills up to speed. The enemies you'll face will have skills that are comparative to their levels. So if you do not practise yours, you'll lag behind before long and suffer from it.
So we start joggin outside the bank.

QUzwD.jpg

Training our action points. We also play hide and seek with ourselves to train the hide skill.

uQbZa.jpg

Wml4U.jpg

We also take one of the looted pistols and start firing into the asphalt. In the screenshots above, you can see what one shot does to build our shooting skill..
After unloading all rounds, and hiding/unhiding for about 30 real-time minutes, this is our character panel:

TLlkA.jpg

And this is where the watchdog mod comes in. I've taken the description of what it does from the readme:
"What is this?
skill watchdog is a function I wrote for Silent Storm.
Basically it sits in the background and waits for your troops to level up. When a troop does level up the function activates and examines their skills. If any skill is found to be lower than what it should be for the troops level then it will be adjusted."
You've seen the character panel without watchdog operating. This is how it looks with watchdog enabled:

27WOm.jpg

If this is cheating, then so be it. I'm just not terribly amused by shooting asphalt for half an hour after every mission.. :M :roll:

With that out of the way, we exit the mission and are returned to our base where the loudspeakers immediately start pouring broken english with a poor german accent:

eJAtl.jpg

EXC2v.jpg

hIVd0.jpg

n0bS8.jpg

eeTyT.jpg

yhECU.jpg

vMbIV.jpg

qIWB1.jpg

We waste no time in entering the personnel office.

ExhJc.jpg

UsXB1.jpg

wqzzK.jpg

HuqRR.jpg

aRpuI.jpg

mZ193.jpg

mtG3j.jpg

I'm sure they aimed for kitsch with the voiceover, too bad they just got horrid. But still, it's tongue-in-cheek enough for me that I can bear it.
Now opening the personnel cabinet, we can access the files of all those grunts available to help us in our missions.

bPW03.jpg

The actual files are hidden beneath another spoiler tag, as there are two screenshots for each trooper. I thought I'd hide those 40 screenshots under yet another layer, to lessen the need for scrolling.
bs0yz.jpg

4pEOE.jpg

sVp2i.jpg

sz38m.jpg

rBDDI.jpg

7lCg5.jpg

hYqzl.jpg

GW1LB.jpg

LrM9n.jpg

Vm28I.jpg

kiUU0.jpg

D4brs.jpg

Yl4Hv.jpg

isElz.jpg

HlBYa.jpg

tavxI.jpg

hWKiI.jpg

ph3ZB.jpg

VssgP.jpg

kqjHA.jpg

ipL4F.jpg

QJZDd.jpg

zJ3Cd.jpg

CD9Su.jpg

3IqF1.jpg

kOXVH.jpg

0Mt0w.jpg

g1lMo.jpg

3W1We.jpg

CUnfw.jpg

i33Pe.jpg

50YRb.jpg

TxlZ6.jpg

uKt7P.jpg

3sHQe.jpg

pkSM8.jpg

HnURF.jpg

i4Ate.jpg

PFMMi.jpg

OPvbv.jpg
Now, if anyone can tell me how I can edit the names of these soldiers, you get the first pick of them, and I promise to always include you in missions, should you be fit for duty. :bro: :salute:
I do hope it is possible. If not, I'll just have to pretend each of my soldiers being one of the codexers. Ahmad Namju obviously being Andhaira. :roll:
Well, after the personnel office, we enter the other wing of the base.

jtamq.jpg

Er1WR.jpg

OgXbM.jpg

The hangar will not be available for some time. There's no "open door" curser when we mouse over it. Some of you might prefer if we were to never enter the hangar, but I'll show this game with all the content, controversial or not. :troll:

wPrRA.jpg

B9Jxn.jpg

dVC60.jpg

4MTKL.jpg

CBLIj.jpg

"Haf gut var!" Yes, indeed. The sickbay serves no purpose in normal mode, really. In hard and impossible however, we can go here to have our wounds healed properly. Watch as Kodex uses one of the sickbeds..

fQ8Nj.jpg

g8WRg.jpg

The tiny bit of his vitality point bar that was brown is now again a healthy (?!) green. :salute: Also, this screenshot was taken with the incarnation of Kodex that didn't have watchdog running in the background. Our current Kodex has 104vp and not the 94 depicted.
Only one room left to explore in the base.

pAgnx.jpg

M45kV.jpg

h7p6Y.jpg

Gpr9K.jpg

FDyZV.jpg

tv1dU.jpg

To the vault we go! Guns are good. :smug:

YsxZh.jpg

The currently available guns aren't all too impressive, but here's what we've got for now. The stocks will improve with time:

Fy4Ox.jpg

eUgzu.jpg

qfs8y.jpg

sepOk.jpg

NJHDf.jpg

TaLIL.jpg

adXxG.jpg

ClAnW.jpg

BHHob.jpg

9IG6c.jpg

ckQMb.jpg

8JzUP.jpg

GsgxX.jpg

Ammo isn't an issue in this game. Place an empty weapon in the vault, press the reorganize button (that looks like a belt with beltpouches) and new ammo spawns. We do not yet have access to any heavy weapons, and the panel option called "Armored Suit Weapons" does some heavy foreshadowing..
Well, that's it. I'll leave you with this, as I hope someone clever has a solution to how to change the names of the soldiers I can recruit from the base. That would allow me to have fellow codexers join Kodex as he fights for the Vaterland!
Please sign up in this thread if you're interested, but do bear in mind that I make no promises unless someone can help with the how of it. If noone can, then we'll just have to imagine things. :roll:

It's late here, I'm quite tired, but I stayed up an hour and a half more than I'd planned, just to write this intro to the game. I hope it serves. :salute:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Currently unclaimed troopers are hidden beneath this spoiler tag:
rBDDI.jpg

7lCg5.jpg

hYqzl.jpg

GW1LB.jpg

Yl4Hv.jpg

isElz.jpg

VssgP.jpg

kqjHA.jpg

zJ3Cd.jpg

CD9Su.jpg

3IqF1.jpg

kOXVH.jpg

3W1We.jpg

CUnfw.jpg

i33Pe.jpg

50YRb.jpg

TxlZ6.jpg

uKt7P.jpg

3sHQe.jpg

pkSM8.jpg

HnURF.jpg

i4Ate.jpg

Current roster:

Grenadiers:
dextermorgan (dexte):
HaKcB.jpg

UncleJimb0 (UncleJ):
f0mWN.jpg

Snipers:
Kodex, our main guy. :smug:
2wEfw.jpg

Soldiers:
WetWorks (WetWo):
lg6fv.jpg

Medics:
Tindrli (Tind):
WN7Hg.jpg

Engineers:
CappenVarra (Cappen):
HPyrN.jpg

lightbane (light):
2Km8s.jpg

Crooked Bee (Beeb):
sz38m.jpg

Scouts:
Lottie (Loti):
E93Wd.jpg

kentable (kent):
JKjRm.jpg

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
Silent storm has always been extremely corny, but awesome due to the engine. Destructible enviroment and tb for the win!

Also, reporting for duty

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm interested, and I even attempted to find some info on changing the names in this game on the web, but no luck (and I assume you did the same).

Lottie

Educated
Lottie, the scout with a long and hard... blade, doing its duty.

Regarding changing name: you cant.
The save files are compressed and the names are not hardcoded in the game.exe.
I dont have the game installed to check if they are somewhere in clear text.

how to kill a mech? drop it from the third floor :lol:
RxnFn.jpg

game is too easy exploitable though, with ridiculous sneaking and this shit here
QSwIA.jpg

the game has one great mission though, and its in sentinels, base defense, epic shit, almost lost it!
ADrHG.jpg

laclongquan

Arcane
Chap, the Axis campaign is not as good as the Allies.

For example, The base's facility and voices? Axis get you crawling up the wall.

The Allies is just better.

Anyway, you always complain about the wrong things.

Mech? Mech is not a thing of ruin, it's the new challenge for your godlike troopers. When you can oneshot chap from half the map, mech require you get up close and personal to use the entirely inadequate weapon to mediocre effect. It fairly scare you shitless, it is. And you can only complain about immershun-breaking... please, are you a bioware fan in disguise?

Base defence map? It's also not about stay in your bunker to fight them. Oh no. It's about forward defense, where you station your troop way way up to attack them right when they start to appear. Or wait until they run up a bit to ass-fuck them. Mine the road the delay them a bit etc... It's a bloody challenge for your capacity in set-piece battles.

marooned

Liturgist
Never forget Silent Storm.

Ragdolls are pretty stupid but the combat engine is amazingly fun. And thankfully someone made that skill mod, now it's pretty mandatory. What they were thinking with that skill leveling system, man.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I don't know for certain when I will be able to play the game, so I can make no promises as to when the next update will appear, but I will promise that an update will be made. :salute:

For the people signing up, please do as CappenVarra and pick your avatar from the available soldiers in the personnel office. Even if I cannot change the names, I will be referring to your codex names when writing the updates. :bro:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Pick a grenadier for me if you will, I can't seem to find the recruit roster online.
It's hidden under a second spoiler tag towards the end of the introduction post (post #2 in this thread). I'll just assign the first grenadier there to you. :salute:

[EDIT]
Copied the screenshots of the personnel roster to the third post in this thread. :salute:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'll aim towards having a balanced team for every mission, meaning snipers are a bit less likely to be chosen (by virtue of Kodex being one), and so far every character class except soldier and sniper have been volounteered for.
In other words, once someone volounteers for one of the soldier positions, I have a team for the first real mission. :M

Depending on how well this LP goes (and how fast), I might do an Allies playthrough as well, but don't hold your breath. :roll:

lightbane

Arcane
Ah, that game.... It was certainly fun setting explosives everywhere, then watch how the explosions wrecked entire buildings. It was amazing to trap a door that a certain enemy used in a cutscene, then watch the entire house blowing up as he tried to open the door. Unfortunately, that also caused the game to freeze as it was stuck waiting for a dialogue that was no longer possible :lol:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The roster post (#3) has been updated with the currently unclaimed troopers. WetWorks and Crooked Bee, please pick one each, and if one of you happens to choose a soldier, I should be set for the first real mission. M:

I will update the roster post after each mission with updated character panels for those who took part in the mission. :dance:

UncleJimb0

Educated
This looks interesting. You have an affinity for tactical strategy games I'm oblivious to. This one looks like X-COM and Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines had a baby while shagging on a grognard's gaming table with an Advanced Squad Leader game set up.

but he also manages to wound Kodex. He takes it in stride however, as this is the only way of actually improving your vitality point attribute. You need to take wounds without dying...
That sounds promising.

Any idea why this game isn't more popular? Serious cons to outweigh the pros?

Write me in as whatever role needs to be filled in your next update.

Thread followed.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I've updated the roster, but am currently fiddling about, trying to make my own mod for the singular purpose of renaming the hirables. :salute:

If I succeed, I expect to need to restart the campaign for it to take effect, but that shouldn't be too much of a bother seeing as I've only just done the opening mission.
Oh, and secondly, if I succeed, then only the people who've volounteered and chosen a persona will get to feature in this LP. I will update later on my progress, to give people more time for volounteering, should I succeed. :salute:

This looks interesting. You have an affinity for tactical strategy games I'm oblivious to. This one looks like X-COM and Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines had a baby while shagging on a grognard's gaming table with an Advanced Squad Leader game set up.

but he also manages to wound Kodex. He takes it in stride however, as this is the only way of actually improving your vitality point attribute. You need to take wounds without dying...
That sounds promising.

Any idea why this game isn't more popular? Serious cons to outweigh the pros?

Write me in as whatever role needs to be filled in your next update.

Thread followed.

The "get wounded to gain vitality points" thing will have been made less important with the skill watchdog mod I installed, otherwise I'd have done stupid things, such as equipping the entire team with the least damaging handguns, going to a random location, and have them fire at each other, then patch eachother up, for no other reason than train shooting, vitality points and medicine skills.
The game is stupid in this way. :roll:

As to why this game isn't more popular, I'm not too sure. I had problems getting it to run under Windows 7, but GoG.com fixed that. :bro: And they also made away with the horrid DRM the game had (starforce). Way back when it was released, I played a cracked version to avoid installing starforce...

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Apparently, the editor isn't shipped with the GoG version of the game, but I found a pirate copy. Unfortunately, I cannot get the editor to launch (and this is probably the explanation it isn't included with the GoG version) as it states it cannot acces the "MSSQLSERVER".
I'll go ahead and play without changing the names, but if any of you enterprising fellows gets the editor working and are actually able to change the names, please let me know and you'll get a priority spot in the party.

Until then, I'll get cracking on the game. Should a mod be made at some point, I've uncovered a utility to add a mod to an already started game. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom