Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Silent Storm!

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
tHchh.jpg

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I leave this LP unupdated for a week, and still so few posts from interested readers? Oh dear, well I'm still going to complete it, if for nothing else, then my own enjoyment. :roll:
Two missions left to do. The second-to-last is in Switzerland.

jsCxG.jpg

Berger's factory is a two-part map. This is the place where the Panzerkleins originate. Supposedly, it would be the most heavily guarded place we could try and enter. Let's see if that is actually the case. :M

W2Te7.jpg

0CmxE.jpg

We start already in combat mode upon entering the map. :incline: We've spotted two snipers, that for some reason haven't spotted us yet. :roll: What's more interesting though, is that we're not allowed to let any civilians get killed on this map. A stray bullet or two will be OK, as long as the civilians survive, but apparently, with Switzerland being a neutral party, killing civilians will lose the game for us.
Seems illogical, as we're cracking open a terrorist organization, I would assume the governments would cover this up quicker than a teenage son being caught jacking off, but hey. I guess it's there to make the mission harder by virtue of you not being able to simply carpet-bomb the buildings with explosives and let the rubble kill the baddies. :roll:
Anyway, we set to work clinically removing hostiles while sparing the civvies..

iUCk9.jpg

nA2Gw.jpg

crLIt.jpg

wGyNQ.jpg

OgBfN.jpg

Kodex and Loti are our two only non-PK wearing members, and they can stay hidden while killing the hostiles. The rest of the team are wearing their PK armours, Tind, Cappen and dexte in captured Thor's Hammer ray-gun PKs, and WetWo in his MG wielding Axis PK. I let WetWo enter the facility after Kodex and Loti started their purge, mainly to draw attention and fire.

TH41h.jpg

vuP3G.jpg

QIEt3.jpg

OwQ2Y.jpg

He does a good job at this. :salute: I note that hostiles armed with small-caliber weapons choose to try and stop him with grenades. They do naught against his armour, but still, nice touch. He also notices our first civilian, meaning that the renegade soldier stading near the power generator is safe form WetWo's MG, as I won't risk losing the mission to a single stray bullet. :M
With WetWo running interference, Kodex and Loti continue taking down renegades while staying in hiding.

x7b9p.jpg

Oc1UV.jpg

6LSha.jpg

vfMBo.jpg

It's interesting to note, that even an MG wielding renegade doesn't manage to hurt WetWo while he's riding his PK. You really need rayguns to deal reliably with PKs. That or a nice crit hit from a high-powered sniper rifle.
All this killing nets enough xp for some levelups.

iNqw5.jpg

qDkH4.jpg

Kodex improves his spotting abilities, and dexte finally learns the Second Skin ability. For some reason, I neglected to screenshot the effects of choosing this, but I believe it lessens some of the negative skill modifiers you accrue when using a PK, meaning that taking the skill improves your accuracy while in a PK suit.
I realize that I lied when I said WetWo didn't get hurt.

E4hlL.jpg

OxeSf.jpg

There was an RPG launcher wielding renegade that managed to ding 18 vps off of WetWo, but his PK suit remains undamaged. And the retaliatory fire sent said renegade flying satisfyingly. :smug:
Loti and Kodex continue softening up the opposition, while WetWo decides he's had enough and starts firing as well.

mR8dU.jpg

0pqya.jpg

BZHOc.jpg

w03na.jpg

XSmoR.jpg

In the last pic, I had moved WetWo slightly to change the angle towards the soldier, so the civilian wasn't directly behind him. Then I judged it safe enough to fire, and I wasn't disappointed. More killing means more xp, this time Loti improves her killing ability.

eANoo.jpg

With this, Loti need not fear being spotted while sneaking around anymore. Even if she is spotted and combat is initiated, she will always win the first round. Meaning she can either put down the opposition if possible, or retreat into cover. This skill is Useful for a scout. Don't underestimate it.
With that skill chosen, we advance and clear out the area outside the buildings, and Loti pokes her nose inside the westernmost building.

XP3pG.jpg

pPIQh.jpg

7rhL8.jpg

tmwLz.jpg

JuiBC.jpg

ZErOa.jpg

lfEyv.jpg

APWjj.jpg

3imGh.jpg

9FPrz.jpg

Poor schmucks are still trying to dent WetWo's PK with explosives. :lol: Anyway, with the exterior more or less cleared, we start clearing the inside of the factory.

gxsab.jpg

Yrn7K.jpg

EFA3B.jpg

jHdix.jpg

H1GjT.jpg

lZheW.jpg

PPZcq.jpg

i9ncf.jpg

9plKt.jpg

Jhi7q.jpg

To my satisfaction, the AI isn't as paralyzed by our stealthy entrance in this level, as it has been on others. The factory seems to be on alert, and hostiles do try and intercept us, even though they fail. In the enemy movement phase, the distinct sound of Panzerkleins moving can be heard, but so far none have been spotted. They're on the cellar floor of this map, and after killing the last soldier, Kodex spots the first PK of the map..

r4ddW.jpg

yNOXK.jpg

Ray-gun PKs are scary yes. But the prototype laser rifle is scarier. :smug: One burst, and the driver is toast.
From this point on, I get rather liberal in my use of the laser rifle. Most infantry enemies are still dealth with with the sniper rifle, but being on the cellar floor, there are a few PKs that need neutralizing..

eALkw.jpg

feVpJ.jpg

4YeMI.jpg

aHho4.jpg

2931W.jpg

qonkE.jpg

I reach the conclusion that burst fire is the way to go with the laser rifle. Individual shots are powerful, but rarely enough to one-shot the drivers. A 4 round burst usually finishes them off.. And it's dirt cheap at only 22 ap cost. :incline:
From this point on, it's a simple cleanup mission for Kodex, his hiding skill is priceless against infantry, and the laser rifle makes a mock of the PK armour.

Gee4U.jpg

Oucs6.jpg

bPr0D.jpg

Iiec3.jpg

uGvIY.jpg

NReNF.jpg

ac7eo.jpg

I24A3.jpg

E35K3.jpg

coDHp.jpg

RlRVC.jpg

All hostiles dead. The "leave" button is still red, and not all objectives are complete. I need to enter the second map for that.
First though, we spotted a different model PK. Entering it, we see it's the Allies model.

UlRT2.jpg

We could keep it as a memento, but I rather like the PKs we already have, and Kodex really shouldn't be burdened by stomping around in an armoured warsuit. I check off a levelup skill and make ready to enter the second part of the mission.

tLF4u.jpg

0vcvg.jpg

CyRdY.jpg

WetWo now finally has Second Skin as well. All extra skills from here on out is just gravy. :smug:
Once we enter the second part of the map, the gloves come off. This is the inner sanctum of the PK assembly plant.

EG9H3.jpg

xolKs.jpg

2 ray-gun PKs, one laser cannon wielding infantry, one sniper, one RPG launcher, and an MG. Add to this a stationary ray-gun battery, and we can see they mean business. Unlucky for them though, we have the prototype. :troll:

ZCUG0.jpg

LPp6V.jpg

WgGsl.jpg

xhnM3.jpg

jdaf0.jpg

pfdT3.jpg

OEIKD.jpg

7qwPZ.jpg

iPflm.jpg

GJYla.jpg

The rest of the team actually got to participate here. :bro: Due to the amount of enemies lined up, Kodex couldn't take them all down alone in a single round, but the combined firepower of the team still managed to do just that. Kodex then snuck into the room with the stationary ray-gun emplacement and killed off the trooper stationed there. Apparently, said trooper was too chicken to actually man the gun and try to harm us. :decline:

iPXzb.jpg

When compared damage-wise, the flak cannon was more scary, but the penetration this raygun can manage means it's a lot more scary against PKs. Still, it didn't fire, not even once. :decline:
Ohwell, Kodex does his things and starts moving through the facility.

twHow.jpg

elE9Y.jpg

iBxUI.jpg

eOPg0.jpg

MecgU.jpg

MzxqF.jpg

I'm really warming up to the laser rifle here. :love: As a bonus, we get another levelup.

Lcyli.jpg

Faster reload? I guess that's cool no matter what weapon you're using. :bro:
Kodex continues his gleeful killing spree.

Aish7.jpg

yWJn0.jpg

PKUG6.jpg

zt0Tu.jpg

FlWL1.jpg

LaJ3Y.jpg

WVWIf.jpg

5ly83.jpg

GBPlD.jpg

EJFCi.jpg

afUVr.jpg

There are actually quite a lot of really dangerous opponents scattered around this level. Unfortunately, they seem to be set into guard duty by their AI, as they don't automatically all go towards the disturbance at the front door. This means you can easily sneak around and take them out a few at a time, and with the laser rifle, "a few at a time" is also possible when you talk about PKs..
Also, as could be expected from the premier PK factory, you can pick up some more suits here for your faction, if you're running low.

tBt9f.jpg

I ignore them. I guess they're there in case your primary PKs got shot up too badly and you needed some fresh ones.

iilX1.jpg

zJZPO.jpg

5yPD3.jpg

BeIt1.jpg

I'm definitely switching to the laser rifle as my main gun when I find it in my allies playthrough! :love: Seeing as I haven't even started that yet, it will be a while. But once this update is concluded, I could start the allies playthrough...
This map also holds some trapped doors with absolutely nothing of interest behind them. Interesting though, they are of sufficient difficulty that even our might Cappen fails at one attempt, almost knocking him unconscious.

45nB4.jpg

LWn0q.jpg

tkUzw.jpg

We have a very good medic with us, so such a wound is of little concern.
In any case, all normal enemies have been neutralised, so we only need to find Berger himself, and we can win this mission..

H9gGJ.jpg

ySOCl.jpg

ibZ9j.jpg

0l41Z.jpg

Well, with the laser rifle, that was quite easy. In an office, we find the final mission objective, then make to leave.

Ab8xR.jpg

xKXc6.jpg

Z6ZSo.jpg

4cmBc.jpg

SLtPF.jpg

rD5nd.jpg

The german cross in gold! Didn't even know such a thing existed.. :roll: Things are coming to an end though. We have the location of their secret hideout, and that's our next and final destination.

dlx7g.jpg

Are you ready people?
Alright, we move out..

M3Z8Y.jpg

So! We need to take down Thor's Hammers mysterious leader, who happens to be flying around in an airborne PK! And before we get to fire on it, it flies behind the rocket that's about to ignite. Tension! Can you feel it?
I couldn't, not really. So instead, I started moving around the rocket, killing off random hostiles until the special PK showed up again.

HgOQ1.jpg

iPPmd.jpg

4VAOh.jpg

hvJck.jpg

Compared to the last map, this one's incredibly simple. No hiding, no pussyfooting around. Just kill stuff and eventually the flying PK reappears. Take it down with high-caliber weapons, preferrably of the ray-gun variety.
First we soften it up a bit with our PK based weaponry, taking some nasty return fire..

uav24.jpg

jmfKJ.jpg

0v9uj.jpg

Then, once it's sufficiently ventilated, Kodex steps up and blasts it with his lazor roofles!

That's how you cut it. :yeah:
So, we take the elevator down and are greeted by Hel.

Kodex is a real :bro: and he won't hesitate killing women, if it needs be done. Might lose a few days of sleep, but he'll get over it. :smug:

jpYH5.jpg

Yd6Hs.jpg

Ethaz.jpg

spBjz.jpg

mQ4M1.jpg

Taking her down, now that she's ditched the PK suit, is rather trivial. The laser rifle makes short work of her, and we loot a key off of her corpse. This key lets Kodex climb to the launch control room and do his stuff:

And mission complete! Enjoy these final screenshots from the game with the final mission end briefing:

CmOUs.jpg

lnwgw.jpg

5BOYk.jpg

9ZPH6.jpg

We literally saved the world. It's also amusing, and sort of ties in with the amazing adventures of Grom, that the designs of this ray-gun weapon was based off an ancient manuscript found in Tibet.. Yep. They ancient Tibetans knew how to build ray-guns! I liked the UFO explanation better. :roll:

Anyway, with the launch foiled, we get a final game extro vid to enjoy:
EDIT: see next post, 5 vids max per post...

Will this be the last of Kodex?

I think he might just return in my Silent Storm: Sentinels LP, once that starts up. :smug: Hope you enjoyed the ride.
If you did, then stay tuned here, I plan to do the allied runthrough next. :salute:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
:flamesaw:

oh for a panzerklein of burnished red
and with it a fragmentation grenade
a funky raygun to shoot them all dead
oh for a suitable poland to invade!

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Good news people! I've unlocked all but one of the cruisers in FTL, so my gaming OCD has lessened a bit. This means I might actually sit down and play Silent Storm a bit this week, but I can make no promises. :roll:
When that's said, I have played the intro mission for the allied campaign, so I guess I could whip up a mini update with relatively little fuss.. :troll:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm sorry to leave you all hanging like this. I did intend to update this during the weekend, but my wife and two children are all ill with gastroenteritis. My daughter started displaying symptoms friday morning, so I've been busy tending to my family and only occasionally have I been able to sit down at the computer.
As I've previously mentioned, I've done the intro mission for the allied side in SS, and I hope to at least give you that during this week. Family life can still intrude on this schedule however.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You probably thought I'd abandoned this LP, didn't you? :roll:

Well, I can't blame you. :oops: For a while there, I had. I've had these screenshots sitting around since october, just couldn't be arsed to continue the game nor the LP for some reason.
I have been rather busy on the homefront, that might be some of the explanation. The computer I use for these writeups has been moved to the bedroom, and my office has been converted into a sleeping area for our youngest, so I don't have the same ease of access, nor inclination to hide away and work on my games and LPs.

But I figure I owe you nice people a conclusion to this wonderful little game.
As I've already covered most in the axis LP, I'll gloss over much in this allies playthrough, but I will highlight the differences, and try to remember to document any major screwups or other interesting events.
As to the update schedule, expect the same frequency you're currently getting in any Crooked Bee LPs and you won't get disappointed.. :troll:

Anyway, here goes.

8tsitqi.jpg

We fire up a new campaign with the allies this time.
Gentlemen and gentlewomen, meet Kodex:

bnNGtEG.jpg

1EQj9Hv.jpg

Bespectacled, red-haired and with an annoying british/scottish accent. This time I decided to go with an engineer. Imagine him being slightly McGuyverish. :roll:
Here's the intro mission vid. Be prepared for horribad voiceacting. :troll:

Yeah. It's always a good thing when your CO bleeds to unconsciousness in front of you. :roll:
Anyway, with that out of Kodex' system, we start the intro mission. Same as in the axis intro mission, you start with only your main character available, and you don't get to choose his equipment.

FZRGd4T.jpg

As always, start by going into hiding. Though the hide skill isn't impressive this early in the game, not being shot at is always a good start.
We can also see that Kodex starts with an SMG in one hand, and a stick of dynamite in the other. :yeah:
SMGs are effective at short ranges..

aHNTajV.jpg

8ZHRQvb.jpg

kkewGTw.jpg

2BvA4nu.jpg

But we really want something with a better range. Especially as the axis soldiers here have rifles. So we pick up the rifle our first adversary so nicely dropped down the hill, our way.

37y9iL0.jpg

DqM2f4Z.jpg

Our very first kill also netted us the first levelup. With an engineer, xp comes fast (its tied to the intelligence score), and I plan on building towards skills that improve his skills and xp growth even further. You could call this munchkinism, but I'll take it anyway, as it'll help make this LP go along faster. :rpgcodex: Quicker advancement = better skills = easier to kill the opposition.
Kodex sets out to clear the map.

AXGLKzn.jpg

zLrkNRp.jpg

4tKZX09.jpg

3x1ngjJ.jpg

PBkZogv.jpg

Ro3Gne2.jpg

VSrP1RH.jpg

saXA2kb.jpg

8k3ntAr.jpg

xu6V7va.jpg

NSgwIXn.jpg

Alternating between the rifle and SMG depending on the range of engagement makes the mission simple. Though Kodex got a nasty surprise with the hiding officer there..
Anyway, the game seems to have acknowledged that we cleared the area.
Only, it seems there were reinforcements:

If you're not careless, this is just more xp for you. So let's have at it!

ASLSCte.jpg

First opponent is taken down using the MG on the axis MC. Then Kodex leaves the stationary MG and lures the other axis soldiers closer for a little surprise..

CAUMktV.jpg

2m0QXE5.jpg

etB9hBK.jpg

YYEXRUE.jpg

Explosives are great fun. :incline:
With these soldiers out of the way, a quick look at our objectives affirm that we're done here.

FYElx6w.jpg

UzbiZ5r.jpg

And that's the setup for our next mission!

Intro mission done, now I just need to see to our new recruits and give you a tour of the base.
I hope the delay before next update proves smaller than the one preceding this one. :M

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Aha! Two updates on a single day! Well, they were both fairly minor, and most of the screenshots and vids were captured long ago, so this was a cheap one.
Haven't played further than this, but you will eventually get to see the allied soldiers in action and I will conclude this LP. :salute:
First off, let's take a look at the allied base. It's handled differently than the axis base, as here you acces personnel files and inventory through dialogue with the appropriate persons. So let's get to meet them:

Terrance Whitmore handles the personnel files as well, so aside from him sending Kodex on his next mission here, he's also the go-to guy when we want to add/change people in our squad.

Somewhat more tedious than simply clicking on a set of drawers, but it also adds a bit of flavour.
Next up on our tour is the base medic.

And finally, the quartermaster. Our acces to weapons and ammo!

With the introductions to the HQ personnel out of the way, here's our proud squad of allied soldiers, ready to take on the world:
Kodex:
hayMeQl.jpg

lightbane (light):
dVnBUVG.jpg

UncleJimb0 (UncleJ):
LZVQJNo.jpg

Crooked Bee (Bee):
4JjeP8k.jpg

Lottie (Lottie):
xkL8ttT.jpg

kentable (kent):
7NeWVrE.jpg

lightbane

Arcane
:incline:

:necro:
I love this gif.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom