Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Read I want to be a zebra! Let's read Freesia (NSFW)

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
As the title says, I thought it would be nice to balance out all the shiny superhero shenanigans with some bleak, dystopian, and generally fucked up shit - and it's wapanese to boot. I do believe a one-shot of Jiro Matsumoto was posted here to some positive feedback a few months ago. This is the man's magnum opus, and let me tell you, he does not pull any punches.

A note about the NSFW tag: The manga does contain explicit scenes of sex and violence, but it goes well beyond that. I would recommend reading the first chapter, and if you find that uncomfortable and disturbing, then know that it doesn't get any better.

Table of contents, by Volume:

Volume 1
Volume 2
Volume 3
Volume 4
Volume 5
Volume 6
Volume 7
Volume 8
Volume 9
Volume 10
Volume 11
Volume 12

And we begin here, with Volume 1.

pkDZZ.jpg

DI7xw.jpg

ZaneA.jpg

pYNmB.jpg

EhRZx.jpg

As all good stories...

cIly8.jpg

This one begins with rape. :smug:

r1DhP.jpg

16itL.jpg

OfrZe.jpg

sJyGI.jpg

yUpeF.jpg

x0FUK.jpg

bsyo1.jpg

F3wFi.jpg

WIBYu.jpg

IXcif.jpg

gN7EN.jpg

w7Wcb.jpg

dAd8O.jpg

NPrF9.jpg

rz8Qn.jpg

oZMtd.jpg

Vm3xD.jpg

SHYNY.jpg

NeeY8.jpg

28koH.jpg

4jjTa.jpg

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Gonna try two chapters and see how that looks.

Chapter 2, where we suffer some exposition. Also, a child rapist kills some people.

ArsRg.jpg

3GWYj.jpg

ESHkj.jpg

qyQL9.jpg

ArrxZ.jpg

M8PiV.jpg

y1nsc.jpg

VnuU4.jpg

dMtAv.jpg

49W1J.jpg

rBqah.jpg

kjo98.jpg

fp6Yr.jpg

IomES.jpg

E9HyC.jpg

kv3A3.jpg

EI85J.jpg

XSRKJ.jpg

FNlnc.jpg

nqODr.jpg

TeVDG.jpg

881ZL.jpg

c1TDc.jpg

Vsabd.jpg

bj3Ec.jpg

haLfi.jpg

usBDk.jpg

9ToBJ.jpg

Hz3Gz.jpg

O3cIB.jpg

Ru7mo.jpg

gszNq.jpg

Chapter 3, where the comic-relief character is introduced, some marital rape transpires, and our heroes finally do something.

C0gRQ.jpg

xTl18.jpg

TC1Zo.jpg

QYols.jpg

QIgSB.jpg

OVTck.jpg

BwIA6.jpg

LAbGg.jpg

WxPOW.jpg

OUzQp.jpg

BH84e.jpg

E6ZoA.jpg

WiMoH.jpg

YtjJ0.jpg

LCtx8.jpg

Mpe8M.jpg

5r81O.jpg

utlny.jpg

Binyg.jpg

Q4m9B.jpg

CVo8r.jpg

LjmPH.jpg

Z1fbz.jpg

XVzXi.jpg

lgaze.jpg

H0aXJ.jpg

3OM8M.jpg

wdGaf.jpg

9FlOM.jpg

hCoHC.jpg

fRxzq.jpg

O8zTd.jpg

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Chapters 4 & 5, where our heroes engage in some lighthearted slice-of-life comedy, as they make their deliveries.

PnOAl.jpg

PdGXU.jpg

J2RDs.jpg

tX4uD.jpg

wiOQd.jpg

p2GX8.jpg

3ZjtQ.jpg

aiqnE.jpg

Gq4F4.jpg

TksUd.jpg

xrSVh.jpg

SnQ5C.jpg

L22TP.jpg

PIbXF.jpg

iQeLk.jpg

2xdAP.jpg

R2syT.jpg

4XsWo.jpg

F2OQR.jpg

NWBSQ.jpg

fQ0tT.jpg

17Bsa.jpg

a5yZS.jpg

CaTgA.jpg

XxXSZ.jpg

7x5I4.jpg

GcCUn.jpg

5SrUi.jpg

2uIDZ.jpg

uFulo.jpg

uFozm.jpg

9oHh6.jpg

1tiIK.jpg

U2i1Z.jpg

wUqkB.jpg

Em82D.jpg

nxM7n.jpg

sZ95v.jpg

qowrg.jpg

LIckU.jpg

Ha4sD.jpg

tv1mO.jpg

ARF3v.jpg

CjnFp.jpg

lmQbc.jpg

NvQcy.jpg

IQWdC.jpg

L6W44.jpg

Wx06Q.jpg

Vajvv.jpg

M82K4.jpg

gUn6f.jpg

CWK0V.jpg

4PGks.jpg

ko9bG.jpg

i5qil.jpg

mqvFY.jpg

W1IaR.jpg

UQ2nK.jpg

1UQvy.jpg

2la2v.jpg

lrBup.jpg

spekkio

Arcane
In before an inevitable abandon.

:rpgcodex:

But before that - I simply love that at the beginning, main protagonist seems like the craziest person in this manga.
But later you realize, that he's the only sane one.

:smug:

And Matsumoto is IMO one of the rare artists that is able to understand the horror of current society/times perfectly...
Lyric Suite would approve.

:salute:

SerratedBiz

Arcane
He keeps talking to his imaginary Hiroshi (?) at the restaurant... and now his victims are popping up instead...

In before meltdown and psycho mindfuck.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
In before an inevitable abandon.

:rpgcodex:

But before that - I simply love that at the beginning, main protagonist seems like the craziest person in this manga.
But later you realize, that he's the only sane one.

:smug:

And Matsumoto is IMO one of the rare artists that is able to understand the horror of current society/times perfectly...
Lyric Suite would approve.

:salute:

I'm only gonna abandon if I need to go over the image per page limit. It's not like I actually have to play a game, take screenshots, transcribe text, come up with funny dialogue, etc. as I would with an LP. I just upload shit to imgur and then generate bbcode links as a batch.:smug:

One thing I really like about Kano is that, while he's clearly mentally ill, the author nicely sidesteps all the stupid Hollywood psychiatry cliches; all the while, the character remains creepy and unnerving without becoming Ed Gein or Jeffrey Dahmer.

And yeah, Matsumoto does this thing, wherein he portrays awful, pathological situations, but they're just realistic enough that they resonate with you despite how contrived they appear. Freesia's "legalized vengeance killings" seem ridiculous at first, but as the story proceeds, they fit into the framework of your typical modern society just fine. Which, I suppose, is the point.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
And yeah, Matsumoto does this thing, wherein he portrays awful, pathological situations, but they're just realistic enough that they resonate with you despite how contrived they appear. Freesia's "legalized vengeance killings" seem ridiculous at first, but as the story proceeds, they fit into the framework of your typical modern society just fine. Which, I suppose, is the point.

Uncivilized Planet and Tropical Citron go a bit... uh, further. On surface they seem rather juvenile with all the sex and violence, but when you actually stop to reflect for a moment... Well, you discover new things about yourself. Often not from the most pleasant side.

Random

Arcane
Patron
To be honest, I could actually see a vengeance law like that being enacted at some point, in real life, if the right circumstances happened to coincide. And it wouldn't change a thing about "normal" life. After all, "normal" people never really see what it's like to be a convict. The system is designed so that each individual lives in different worlds, never meant to cross. People would probably be outraged for a little while, there may be protests, but in the end it's not that big of a deal to "normal" people.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Chapter 6, where some light is cast upon our hero's eccentricities. This chapter also solidifies Mizoguchi's position as the comic-relief character.

htw3t.jpg

VFbk1.jpg

90Y8f.jpg

jUUbb.jpg

GQzPL.jpg

Spoken like a true aspie.

BJTIf.jpg

korY1.jpg

That was one time too many someone else signed their post "Qwinn".

HyZAF.jpg

xG0mK.jpg

Q0iA1.jpg

xTlJE.jpg

X9AsW.jpg

dowFL.jpg

CF8Rg.jpg

N2Q88.jpg

DCbnq.jpg

O0glB.jpg

2pqUf.jpg

BQTqK.jpg

EouqN.jpg

w5GPs.jpg

81wmT.jpg

cvkEg.jpg

VAW0i.jpg

DmpEU.jpg

14TYy.jpg

NgYCl.jpg

0ifmW.jpg

M9ciE.jpg

bEcsu.jpg

TnJnD.jpg

GhPrS.jpg

qiaq0.jpg

And thus Volume 1 is concluded. And on such a cliffhanger too, shame on you, Matsumoto. What about this event caused our hero to make Higuchi into his imaginary friend? Will there be more rape? More unsympathetic characters and boots stomping on human faces forever? Stay tuned, folks.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
By the way bros, do you prefer one or two chapters per update? Or do you want the whole volume instantly perhaps? I just sort of skim it to see if everything displays correctly, so I don't know how it comes out for someone reading it the first time.

Also, do you mind the occasional comment? I don't think the story needs me to inject codex memes into it, but sometimes I simply can't help myself. :troll:

Random

Arcane
Patron
More is better in terms of content posted at a time, though pacing is important.

Also I don't mind the occasional comment.

Lindblum

Augur
Support! Kinda interesting.

As you don't have to go out of your way to update its fine..

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
As the Jews say: If you sit at the riverside long enough, you will see your enemy's body float by. If you read far enough into Freesia, you will see assfucking almost surely.

Btw. I'd like to point out that the chapter titles provide an alternative interpretation that is more in-line with Kano's own experience. They're mostly banal shit, like "going to work", "overtime" and so forth. This is probably how Kano himself perceives the events thus far - he was looking for a job in a recession, finally found one, and is now trying to adjust to it. Might as well be delivering pizzas, he really doesn't see any fundamental difference.

Also I will post the next chapter on page 2. This one takes long enough to load as is.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
bumping. This is good. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom