Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Help with Blobbers

octavius

Arcane
Patron
World of Xeen is utter shit with its non-existant combat. One of the worst rpgs I have ever played. And it's really childish (its funny to see some users bitching about the childish themes of D:OS and still praising this garbage).

If you want a good MM entry, take the second one or the sixth.

Except the question was not about the best entry. And MM6 is not even a blobber.

Squid

Arbiter
Speaking of the Might and Magic games, there's a good bit of them on sale on GOG. I've never played them or Wizardry. Are they something I should consider picking up? Which ones for someone new to them? I'll likely only buy one or two for now if I get solid advice on it.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Speaking of the Might and Magic games, there's a good bit of them on sale on GOG. I've never played them or Wizardry. Are they something I should consider picking up? Which ones for someone new to them? I'll likely only buy one or two for now if I get solid advice on it.
It's a six-pack on GoG. Easily worth the couple of dollars, you absolutely should pick it up.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The MMs are indeed currently on sale on GOG. I'd pick all of them, except 9. 9 is ...problematic.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
It's a six-pack on GoG. Easily worth a dollar.
So just buy the 1-6 pack? I know it's the most bang for it's buck but wasn't sure if i should just pick up 7, 8, or 9 instead. Thanks, I'll probably end up doing that.
7, 8, and 9 are similar to 6, while in the sixpack you get the whole evolution, basically. Gridbased hardcore (1, 2), gridbased more casual (3-5) and 3D (6). Many hold up 6 as the best of the 3D MMs anyway, you might as well get the sixpack, since you'll be getting one 3D MM either way.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
tricycle.jpg

This is somehow relevant outside the original context. Learn the tricycle first, but the bike is where the fun is at. Play WoX until you're bored with the combat then jump to wizardry.

Best starting point: World of Xeen (don't be a fag)
Best ever: Wizardry 5
Must-plays: Wiz 1, 3 and 5, 7 when you're all grown up;
Best jap blobber: Dark Spire (also see Wiz 5)
Best blobber of the past 25 years: Grimoire

Tips for enjoying blobbers: don't be a fag.

See you in 20 years.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
He did. I don't get it either, he'll have to explain it himself.
It's literally the colors, that accompanied with nothing interesting to look at. Fallout 2 with the Restoration Project looks cleaner and crisper than BG 1. I just can't stand looking at brown the entire time, along with buildings that are literally rectangular boxes with ceilings on 'em.

I just got first paycheck from my first week of work ever, and as a freeloading soon-to-be college student, I'm for all intensive purposes swimming in cash. Bought the M&M 6 pack, bought Wizardry 6+7 and Wizardry 8, BaK (though apparently that's not a blobber), and I'll buy Grimoire if he puts that shit on sale like he said he would. Looking through some of the other suggestions so I will see if there is anything else that I needed to get. I'll start with WoX, though I'm going to do it after I get a good workout in so my ADHD will be as chilled out as I can get it. I read the a little bit from the manual and there is something very appealing about having to read a PDF to get acquainted with the functions and story of game, I just hope it holds up.
Try lowering or speeding up your CPU cycles (control F11 and F12, I believe).
That was it, thanks a ton mate. The choppiness made it almost impossible to play.
Graphics are going to put you off, since you can't play original BG and need Beamdog mod (personally I can't see much difference) then these older games'll really not be your cup of tea.
I didn't like PS:T's graphics at first, now I love them; so don't put that kind of bad energy in the air.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I've heard enough people rant and rave about games like BaK, the Wizardry series, Might and Magic, and other such games that I figured I give them a proper shot. What are some quality blobbers that people would recommend? Something to take into consideration is that I haven't ever really played a blobber before other than maybe Legend of Grimrock ages ago. I don't mind complexity, but nothing ridiculous. Also, some other side questions.

- Best blobber of all time, or at least some that immediately stand out?
- Best M&M game(s)?
- Best Wizardry game(s)?
- Any other good blobber series or games that are worth looking into?
- Any tips for enjoying blobbers, either game specific or not?

Thanks for the help.

I've got just what you are looking for. :obviously:

Dungeon Master is not available on Gog, right? What's the best way to get it now, some sort of shareware website?

eggdogg

Learned
As far as blobbers to start (in 2018) I think MMX is a great pick. Wiz 8 is also good but much much less forgiving than MMX. I would also throw in Lords of Xulima. Even though its not 100% blobber it feels like a blobber and like MMX would be as easy of a blobber to start with in 2018.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Hahahaha, I didn't notice that. I guess people shouldn't be surprised 'Muricans don't know their native tongue very well.

Dorateen

Arcane
A few personal favorites I've not seen mentioned in this thread.

Demise: Ascension - for plummeting into 30+ levels of an intricately designed dungeon; character roster management; and a guild/class changing system that is comparable to the likes of Wizardry.

Thunderscape - for its atmosphere, an interesting mix of fantasy and steam technology

Swords & Sorcery: Underworld - for a Might & Magic I and II clone, that later received graphics upgraded to a more comic book art style.

Last edited:

Ysaye

Arbiter
In response to the OP's questions: (For the sake of answering, I am assuming that a blobber has to be first person for the dungeon component and is generally turn based combat and the movement is grid based).

- Best blobber of all time, or at least some that immediately stand out? My favourite is the original Phantasy Star, but this is influenced by what I remember as a child and the fact it mixes both top down world exploration with dungeons that are in the classic Wizardry form and mixes more broad exploration with obscure puzzles, rather than being limited to a single semi-linear dungeon. Eliminage Gothic and the Dark Spire if you want something more recent and possibly more accessible but also much more punishing particularly in later levels. If we break the turn based rule and allow real-time fighting, then the original Lands of Lore and Dungeon Master II were fun. If we break the static movement requirement, try Paper Sorcerer. If we break both conditions but keep to games set predominantly in dungeons then Ultima Underworld II or Daggerfall.

- Best M&M game(s)? M&M6 was my favourite M&M (bearing in mind this is real time combat based), Xeen is also good (turn based). Of more recent, Might and Magic X is okay but pretty broken if you know what you are doing.

- Best Wizardry game(s)? If you want to just play the basic mechanics, Wizardry 1 is as good as any. If you want a good mix of the later stuff they incorporated then Wizardry VII or Wizardry Gold.

- Any other good blobber series or games that are worth looking into? Apart from the above, just for the ridiculous name, Dinosaur Resurrection by Falcom. I know it is not everyone's taste but I like the Wizardry Xth series also redone as Operation Abyss and Operation Babel. Going back a bit, Realms of Arkania (Star Trail and Blade of Destiny) - as I mentioned in another thread, I was totally scared off the remakes during the early access, but I suppose they have had enough time to iron out the issues....maybe.

- Any tips for enjoying blobbers, either game specific or not? A good blobber will make you wander to and from the inn until your characters are ready to face the next challenge; from this perspective you can't rush through. I would therefore recommend playing in 1-2 hour batches, rather than just going at it incessantly. With Wizardry and it's clones, you need to remember part of the fun is in character creation and development, so don't ever feel the need to rush through that side of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom