Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Help with Blobbers

V_K

Arcane
4 pages and no mention of Dragon Wars? :decline:
On the games of questionable blobber-ness I'd also recommend looking into Legacy: Realm of Terror. It's single-character but has tile-based movement.

V_K

Arcane
4 pages and no mention of Dragon Wars? :decline:
A great game but not a beginner's blobber.
It's actually debatable what would resonate with a given player. When I started gaming MM6 was all the rage, but I didn't like it all that much and am still not very fond of the whole series, finding it too simplistic. A couple of years later Wizards&Warriors came out, arguably a much less beginner-friendly game, yet I loved it.
Besides, the thread isn't exclusively about beginner-level blobbers, but also about best/most notable ones.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
ItsChon

On PC:

- Elminage: Gothic (the best modern blobber ever made, I doubt this blobber will ever be surpassed any time soon).

- Wizardry Empire 2: Legacy of the Princess (download the game ISO from "the iso zone" website, and the english patch executable from "rom hacking dot net" website; and/or you can get the game pre-Patched and ready to go from the "nico blog" website as well).

- Stranger of Sword City
- Elminage: Original
- Paper Sorcerer

On Playstation 1/Emulated on PC via ePSXe or RetroArch:

- Wizardry 1, 2 and 3 on the collection game called The Lhyllgamyn Saga.
- Wizardry 4 and 5 on the collection game called New Age of Lhyllgamyn.

On SNES/Emulated on PC via Snes9x or RetroArch:

- Wizardry 6 rom, which you can find on almost any site but I like using "emu paradise".
- Wizardry Gaiden 4: Throb of the Demon's Heart, same as above ^. You'll find it pre-Patched into english most anywhere.

You can grab both PSX iso's from "the iso zone" website as well, by the way. The psx (or SNES versions if you want to graphics whore a bit) are the best versions of those early Wizardry scenarios (note that SNES only has ports of 1, 2 and 3). If you want to play Wizardry 6 I personally prefer the SNES version, but the PC version is just as good (worse graphics and music).

Once you're done with all those get back to me. And remember that a big part of the fun is in learning to make your own maps! You'll understand why after you've done a few. After doing enough of them you'll gain the magical ability (in real life) to navigate simpler dungeons without even needing to draw them; that's how intelligent blobbers make you!

EDIT: also the dark spire for nintendo DS, as mentioned by above poster, is another fantastic game.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
For an oldfag taste go for MM World of Xeen,for nufag taste go for MM6.

Also you could try "The quest",the best new blobber. I am surprised at how many people don't know about it.

octavius how the fuck is MM6 not a blobber? The only difference between World of Xeen and MM6 is the grid system. After all,what is a Blobber?

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Also you could try "The quest",the best new blobber. I am surprised at how many people don't know about it.

octavius how the fuck is MM6 not a blobber? The only difference between World of Xeen and MM6 is the grid system. After all,what is a Blobber?

To qualify as a blobber a gamed needs:
First person view.
Party moves as a "blob".
Grid based movement.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
As much as I like grid-based movement, I think only the first two are required, W8 is still a blobber by my account

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But in gridbased blobbers you can't have fun stuff like getting stuck on scenery and having to redo hours of progress, so there!

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
That is true, but since most modern blobbers have automaps and distinct wall shapes, spinners just don't do it anymore

btw. the only game that had an automap and kept spinner, chutes and teleporters relevant was Mordor (as far as I know), as it shut off the automap the moment you fell into one of the traps, often with hilarious results (mostly death by overwhelming odds when you fell a level below), and only when you reached a portion of the game you had previously mapped did it start to work again, brilliant design, I wish more games put as much thought into their automap design

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
btw. the only game that had an automap and kept spinner, chutes and teleporters relevant was Mordor (as far as I know), as it shut off the automap the moment you fell into one of the traps, often with hilarious results (mostly death by overwhelming odds when you fell a level below), and only when you reached a portion of the game you had previously mapped did it start to work again, brilliant design, I wish more games put as much though into their automap design
That sounds great! Is the actual game any good?

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I have always thought that blobbers are an acquired taste, it takes a particular kind of RPG player to appreciate ita charms and put up with its old school designs and quirks

To most modern gamers the lack on an automap might be the worst deal breaker and the realtime combat kind of takes a bit to get into so I wouldn’t suggest the Eye of the Beholder or Dungeon Master games to be honest

For a fun engaging and approachable series Might and Magic fits the bill perfectly for a more mainstream gamer, specifically Isles of Terra and World of Xeen; the graphics are cartoony but still hold up tremendously well today, the combat is relatively straightforward, the puzzles are interesting and overall the games are geared to be FUN...oh and both have pretty good automap systems

If the player has a bit more knowledge of the RPG genre and a taste for stats and more challenging gameplay then Wizardry a very good option or I might even suggest jumping straight to Grimoire which is hands down the best blobber of the last 20 years

Or even holding out a couple more weeks to Bard’s Tale 4 which looks a bit simple but fun nonetheless

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

To qualify as a blobber a gamed needs:
First person view.
Party moves as a "blob".
Grid based movement.
Why?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
^Because of spinners and such, apparently. Didn't the Codex coin the term? It makes as much sense as any other definition.
Or even holding out a couple more weeks to Bard’s Tale 4 which looks a bit simple but fun nonetheless
It might be, but it doesn't qualify as a blobber for me. Controlling characters individually on a battle grid disqualifies it.
Speaking of MM,
2qiuuiw.jpg

Reselecting all party members every time I start the game and/or die is annoying. Otherwise it is pretty gud so far.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
^ Just a reminder, there's an awesome programme called Where Are We? that adds automap (with notes) and other functionalities (like a separate interface window for party status, equipment, etc.) to MM 1-2. It's really good. Grab it if you haven't.
That looks like it displays a whole lot of stuff I don't want to know. Still, the party info looks nice. I assume I can just cross the other ones out. Thanks!
And look, you got the InXile Enhanced Edition, too! Smoothing the letters is sure to make these games more palatable to modern audiences. :hearnoevil:

Last edited:
That looks like it displays a whole lot of stuff I don't want to know. Still, the party info looks nice. I assume I can just cross the other ones out. Thanks!

Yes, you can just close any window you don't want. I just linked the screencap from the developer's website.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom