Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Help with Blobbers

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Is Dark Heart of Uukrul not considered a Blobber because it has Tactical Combat? Because if not I'm going to shun everyone for not mentioning it already.

(Betrayal at Krondor was listed in the OP post so the battle system clearly doesn't need to be standard Wizardry style)

Still on my list of things to do before I die

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Betrayal at Krondor and Dark Heart of Uukrul aren't blobbers, what the hell is wrong with you people.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
This thread reads more like people are listing their favorite blobbers, as opposed to giving newbie advice.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
He's already set on WoX, which is a good and accessible choice Lacrymas. If he can't handle that then I doubt he can handle any of the other really good ones.

Contagium

Savant
Patron
I've heard enough people rant and rave about games like BaK, the Wizardry series, Might and Magic, and other such games that I figured I give them a proper shot. What are some quality blobbers that people would recommend? Something to take into consideration is that I haven't ever really played a blobber before other than maybe Legend of Grimrock ages ago. I don't mind complexity, but nothing ridiculous. Also, some other side questions.

- Best blobber of all time, or at least some that immediately stand out?
- Best M&M game(s)?
- Best Wizardry game(s)?
- Any other good blobber series or games that are worth looking into?
- Any tips for enjoying blobbers, either game specific or not?

Thanks for the help.

Grimoire is a great starting point. It is the quintessential old-school blobber, but has all those fancy features you kids like these days such as auto-mapping and control over the rate of encounters.

Also...you get to save a tiny crab and reunite it with it's family. Cleve got to that one emotion I have left, and it made tears well up in my eyes.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
An often overlooked game is Shining in the Darkness for the Sega Megadrive (or Genesis for you american people). I found it quite charming and not too difficult although you are still required to map the damn thing yourself. It is easier compared to other blobbers since your party can only have three characters maximum and there isn’t any character creation—the characters are pre-generated based on the warrior, cleric, and mage archetypes—so while it may not amaze with depth it also makes it easier to get into compared to other titles that give you a plethora of options right from the start.

It is a nice snack for blobber veterans, but neophytes will find it a great introduction to the genre.

Edit: it is also the first game in the Shining series, which comprises gems such as the first two Shining Force.

Last edited:

Martyr

Arcane
He can't stand the graphics of Fallout, so getting into WoX or Isles of Terra is a tall order.
the question here is if he doesn't like the graphics (which are still pretty good) or if he doesn't like the artstyle (which is all brown and grey).
if he only dislikes the colors in Fallout than I don't think he'll have any problems with the visuals in any M&M.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
He can't stand the graphics of Fallout, so getting into WoX or Isles of Terra is a tall order.
the question here is if he doesn't like the graphics (which are still pretty good) or if he doesn't like the artstyle (which is all brown and grey).
if he only dislikes the colors in Fallout than I don't think he'll have any problems with the visuals in any M&M.
I'll take a wild guess and say that it's both.

deama

Prophet
I think Wizardry 8 is a good starting point if you're not used to the older graphics style. I'd recommend getting the speedup mod for Wiz 8 so the combat is less annoyingly slow.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Wiz 8 has non-newbie-friendly design choices. I've tried playing Wiz 8 before I was into blobbers, it didn't work out.

WoX hands down.

If he thinks the graphics are too dated (i.e. he has shit taste),. he can start with SMT Strange Journey for the NDS. While this doesn't compare to WoX and Wiz7, but SMT:SJ has some interesting dungeons with auto-mapping which is helpful to blobber noobs.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
I'll take a wild guess and say that it's both.
but didn't he post a picture of Baldur's Gate as an example of a good looking game? or was that someone else?
Fallout doesn't look worse than Baldur's Gate, the colors are just different.
He did. I don't get it either, he'll have to explain it himself.

Wiz 8 has all the modern amenities you could wish for, and unlike MMX, it's also one of the best RPGs ever. Even if he bounces off WoX he should give Wiz 8 a go. You should too, Lacrymas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom