Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's... Trigger the Chronos. (What if...)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

chapters.png

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

Let's play...

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529003.jpg

...One of the favorite games of John Romero and Chris Avellone...

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529004.jpg

...One of the best JRPGs ever made...

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529008.jpg

...One of the best games Square has developed. Yes, you know the one I'm talking about...

FFXIII.jpg

CODEX: :rage:

BN_tempered.png
: ...:troll:

Wait, don't invoke multi-headed dicks yet ! I was actually talking about...

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529011.jpg

:yeah:

Let's Start ! I choose to roleplay a guy named Crono. My weapon is choice.

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529071.jpg

The seagulls are squealing over a peaceful town that resides by the shore...

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529074.jpg

Balloons and fireworks fly from that area in the north part of town.

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529079.jpg

Some kind of celebration ?

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529085.jpg

Who's calling ?

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529088.jpg

Crono20-20Dead.gif
...ZZzzzZz

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529090.jpg

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529092.jpg

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529094.jpg

BN_tempered.png
Wait a minute ! Who the hell are you, Jina, and what have you done to Crono's mom ?

Woman5Front.gif
That's the name of Crono's mom in the original game. You're playing a re-translation, you know, because the original translation --while not bad-- changed a lot of stuff and cut down some "inappropriate" content.

BN_tempered.png
WHAT THE... you mean that terrible, word to word, wooden retranslation where people talk like Yoda ?

Woman5-ArmsUpFront.gif
Hold your horses ! This is actually a revamp of the re-translation by some other guy in an attempt to make the dialog sound more natural. It improves on it somewhat, but some phrases still sound strange and there are many syntax and spelling errors.

BN_tempered.png
Then why the hell should I bother with this crap ? :rpgcodex:

Woman5-Shocked.gif
Supposedly some mild swearing, sexual innuendos and tranny jokes are restored.

Ingus.jpg
At last, the game is MATURE ! Now I can allow myself to play it.

BN_tempered.png
Disaster is upon us.

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529098.jpg

Woman5Front.gif
You were so exited about today that you didn't get to sleep last night, did you ?

Crono-Sleep.gif
...zzz

Woman5Front.gif
Well, it's the Millennial Fair, so that's only natural, but... Don't get caught up in the moment and party too much !

Eventually we manage to stumble out of bed.

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529099.jpg

Crono20-20Arms20Up20Back.gif
:YAWWWWN:

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529101.jpg

Crono20-20Victory.gif

YO, bros and broettes, welcome to this new LP that's gonna be abandoned on page 3 !

Crono20-20Victory.gif

chapter%2BI.png

^ Racofer sure is jealous about my mad photophop skills.
We get downstairs. Our mum is waiting to bust our balls some more.

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529109.jpg

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529110.jpg

In my roleplaying orgasm I decide to name her... LUCCA !

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529111.jpg

Woman5Front.gif
That's right, Lucca ! You're going to see Lucca's invention, right ? Make sure not to be too late.

Crono-HalfClosedFront.gif

Woman5Front.gif
Well, I'll see you later.

As you can see Crono is the usual mute JRPG protagonist, and at most he gets to say YES or NO at certain situations. So I'm gonna annoy you all and make him talk. Occasionally.

crono.png
CRONO :

Our silent protagonist never really liked the name his mom gave him, but little does he know about how fitting it will become in the near future. He likes to play with his cat and his Katana, which he uses to occasionally slay innocent monsters in the nearby woods. His unnatural, spiky red hair hint of a fiendish heritage, which implies that his mom probably hit it off with a Tiefling back in the day.

For now let's do what all good kids do. Ask for money.

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529116.jpg
Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529117.jpg

Whoa, that's one nice allowance ! Booze and women await us at the Millennial Fair. But first let's have a look at the rest of the village.

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529133.jpg

We'll enter random houses and probe random people with our silent probing gaze.

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529134.jpg

Woman3Left.gif
But how can he rule a Kingdom when he can't even control his own daughter ?

CronoFront.gif
And what of his daughter, oh blond villager milf ?

Woman3Left.gif
They say she's an incredible tomboy. I wonder if she isn't making a big fuss in the castle like "I wanna go to the festival too !"

Updated my princess.txt. Time to head for the inn and warm up for the upcoming festivities...

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529137.jpg

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529138.jpg

What a bitch ! Let's ignore her and talk to that strapping young lad by the bar.

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529139.jpg

Man4Front.gif
Well get going, then !! You'll have to wait a 1000 years for another Millennial Festival !

Crono-PonderFront.gif
1000 years huh ? It's amazing we even remember what the hell it is we're celebrating...

Man4Front.gif
In Leene Square, north from here, there are all sorts of shops set up. I'm sure all the fun stuff's open by now.

For some reason this guy reminded me of him :

LOOM.png

Anyway, why don't we speak to the piano girl ?

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529144.jpg

Crono20-20Wink.gif
Whoa ! Sure, babe, anything you want ! ;)

Woman3Left.gif
Thanks, I'll play you a song to show my gratitude.

Gratitude is a fickle mistress, so spiky hair will have to settle for a new piano track. Upstairs we get the chance to have more glorious small talk.

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529147.jpg

Crono-PonderFront.gif
Huh ? Earthquake ?

Man4Left.gif
I see, such a carefree kid... Well, never mind.

WTF Crono ? We need information, information, INFORMATION !

Crono20-20Nod20Front.gif
Ah... the earthquake, yes, I remember now :troll:

Man4Left.gif
There's really been a lot of earthquakes lately. I hope it's not an omen that something bad's going to happen.

One in a thousand years celebration, alarming increase of earthquakes, alcoholic piano girls... the perfect start !
The only other thing of interest is a strange box we find in the upper room of the inn :

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529150.jpg

Of course we want to open it !

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529151.jpg

Bugger :(. We'll have to come back to this later. Much later.

If we drop by the Mayor's house we'll see that it's one of those strange Scientology tutorial establishments.

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529157.jpg

I'll spare you the grief and jump straight to the mayor himself.

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529221.jpg

Crono-PonderFront.gif
What are you talking about, old man ?

OldMan1Front.gif
"Techniques" are unique abilities that also utilize your weapons. You'll acquire them with discipline. Focus on this daily.

Crono20-20Ready220Front.gif
Suure. Now hand over all your money !

OldMan1Front.gif
Ho,ho,ho. Zealous youngster ! All right, a present from me.

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529226.jpg

That's more like it, more booze and women for Crono !
Time to visit dat damn festival.

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529242.jpg

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529244.jpg

Wow, everyone's partying like crazy. Let's scan the area for pretty lasses.

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529248.jpg

• Blond ponytail
  • silk attire
  • unaccompanied.
Scan Complete. Engaging smooth-approaching sequence.

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%25296463.jpg

:SMACK:

Crono, you clumsy oaf !

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%25296468.jpg

Did Crono just blew his chances ?

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529254.jpg

Or did he utilize some strange surprise-buttseks technique ?

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529257.jpg

The bell is chiming and she's tapping DAT ASS.

CH1-TAPDATASS.gif

How will this turn out ?

We'll find out in the next chapter. :troll:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
CT is my favorite jRPG ever. It's a game I can play through countless times and not get bored. I still have the SNES cartrage (even though my SNES doesn't work anymore), I have several playthroughs on an emulator (including one where every character is level 99 and most of them have their stats maxed), I have the DS version (beaten it twice), and I've played through the retranslation.

Wait, there's a re-retranslation patch? Guess it's time to play through Chrono Trigger again.
:yeah:

Black

Arcane
Crono's fiendish heritage would explain why no one ever talks about his daddy.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I think this forum needs to be renamed Weeboo Playground.

That being said I have heard so much about this game before it will be enlightening to see what the fuss is about. Someone be sure to point out when the awesome happens.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
laclongquan said:
I dont like Chronos Trigger as much as Chronos Cross but it do have its unique likable qualities. Here's hoping to a roaring success of yours in this endeavour!
First of all it's CHRONO not CHRONOS :x

Now, it's the exact opposite for me. Chrono Cross did almost everyhting right but the sum of it's parts didn't quite do for me, I got bored along the way, on the other hand , as Xor said, I can play (have played) CT many times without ever getting bored.

Xor said:
Wait, there's a re-retranslation patch? Guess it's time to play through Chrono Trigger again.
2 retranslations actually. The first one is a word to word retranslation that creates sentences no sane man would speak : http://www.romhacking.net/trans/1198/
And a second one that manages to sound natural for the most part but still has it's shortcomings : http://www.romhacking.net/trans/1258/

Vaarna_Aarne said:
Bro, why didn't you let the Codex vote on each and every name?
I don't like giving fake biowarian choices in an attempt top create more interest for my LP s :rpgcodex:
Also, No way would I let Crono be named kingcomrade or codex or some other shitty name.
Also, I'm half-way through the game already.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
oldmanpaco said:
That being said I have heard so much about this game before it will be enlightening to see what the fuss is about. Someone be sure to point out when the awesome happens.
You might have to wait a long time. Like when ghostdog starts another LP.

I've always thought one of the reasons JRPG's are looked down on is that what is usually thrown about as "the best JRPG evar" ranges from OK to horrible. It's like if we actually believed that Oblivion and NWN1 are the best that could ever be done with the CRPG genre. CT isn't a bad game. I happen to dislike the usual JRPG gameplay trappings, but if you like this kind of thing that's not a problem and CT is automatically better than many RPG's (J or otherwise) by not actually requiring any grinding (also, no level scaling!). However, it's just not a great game, and the linearity and forced choices made me feel like a madman in straightjacket at some points.
Anyway, the best JRPG is Anachronox FFS :decline:

Anyway I don't mean to be hatin', will still follow LP if only because ghostdog can do great stuff with not-so-great material.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't think anyone in this thread has said CT is the best JRPG ever. It's my personal favorite, though.

Also bitching about linearity in a jRPG is like complaining that there aren't enough puzzles in FPS games.

TripJack

Hedonist
I dont think i ever actually beat this game. I think i got to the point where all you have to do is go through the portal and kill lavos. But then i went to do one of the endgame sidequests instead and one of them was so long and boring that i ragequit for all eternity.

Good times.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Guys. LP material and best game ever material are two different things. You'll never see me LP Deus EX or PST or fallout or Acanum, because apart from the fact that the content is humongous, I love these games so much that the way I would want to make the LP would make it absolutely undoable by any half-sane human being.

That's why I'm sticking mainly to Adventures action/adventures and now a jrpg. They're doable LP material and have a place for lulz.

Also anachronox is not a JRPG FFS. A semi-retarded combat system doesn't define the jrpg genre and certainly doesn't make that, beyond-awesome game a jrpg.

CT is one of the best jrpg for me, because it's one of the most enjoyable, even if it's not deep or profound or anything. Secret of mana goes in the same category.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
LPing Chrono Trigger has about as much sense as LPing P:ST - won't show the true quality of the game and gives the weaklings excuse not to play it. And they should.

That said, I wish You good luck. Chrono Trigger isn't an overly long game, so the LP has less chance to end up abandoned. I liked Your Strife LP and would be following this too, if I didn't know the game as well as I do.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I saw the title of the thread and it instantly popped into my mind that it'll be you ghostdog doing it.

As for the game itself it is one of very few jRPGs I genuinely like, though I have finished it only once. Maybe the LP will give me the incentive to replay it :)

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I demand seeing all endings

:troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom