Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

OOOUGH IM SO PUMPED FOR DEAD_SPACE_2-FLT BROS

made

Arcane
but there's no crack for the PC version yet wtf?

Anyone play it yet? I hear it's awesome, IGN gave it 9/10.

baronjohn

Cipher
Bro Dead Space is the best game ever for sure until the next AAA game comes out

spekkio

Arcane
The last game that I was 'pumped for' ("Maybe they won't screw it up completly") was Bioshock... And this ended up bad...

Dead Space was good but noting special, not a real "mustplay" game. Can a sequel do something better? I doubt...

It can actually be better if it stops pretending to be scary this time around and just sticks to survival/action. More cool Zero G sequences and bosses would also help. Also more difficulty.

made

Arcane
Maybe bro, but Dead Space 2 is more than just an action game and it's more than a survival horror game -- it's a game that tells a really personal story about a guy who has been seriously scarred by the events around him

made said:
Maybe bro, but Dead Space 2 is more than just an action game and it's more than a survival horror game -- it's a game that tells a really personal story about a guy who has been seriously scarred by the events around him

Yeah I still remember how the first one changed my entire outlook on life and made me follow the light. I also started shaving my balls more often.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Derp Space was formulaic and dull and full of the wacky:
"new power received, now all of a sudden every 5 metres you will have to use it to go on",

"booga booga alienz from the vents, boo!",

"backtracking to get the key for a door from a room that is now magically open, when you went past it all of 5 minutes earlier only to find it locked",

"oh, oh, you picked up the thing you were told to pick up! What will happen now? Will you be able to walk out of the large empty room in peace?"(hint:NO).

When I think of how this turd compares to System Shock as a horror(not bothering to compare it as a FPS/RPG or any difference of depth even), it can't even get this right. Yet everyone comes all over this shit, even on the Codex.

What a fucking decline......Fuck modern gaming.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
The first 10 minutes of playing the demo of DS2 was permanently damaging. It was cookie-cutter corridor one after another, just opening doors and shootin' the alienz.

I'm sure it gets better but I needed to go outside after that.

made

Arcane
commie said:
When I think of how this turd compares to System Shock as a horror(not bothering to compare it as a FPS/RPG or any difference of depth even), it can't even get this right. Yet everyone comes all over this shit, even on the Codex.

What a fucking decline......Fuck modern gaming.

Bro I'm confused. Aren't you that guy who acts all smug about enjoying shit modern RPGs for what they are?

Anyway, does your last-gen System Shock let me RIP OFF ALIENS LIMBS WITH A PLASMA CUTTER? No? Thought so!

made said:
Anyway, does your last-gen System Shock let me RIP OFF ALIENS LIMBS WITH A PLASMA CUTTER?

Aliens that look like The Thing, no less. Probably why I enjoyed it, The Thing being my favorite monster movie.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
5 C = 1
10 ENTER ROOM
20 GET AMBUSHED BY ALIENS
25 C = C + 1
26 IF C== 1000 GOTO 40
30 GOTO 10
40 END

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Terminate Batch Job? (Y/N)

Destructoid's review said:
The story, though still light on narrative details, is beautifully interwoven and helps make Isaac into a truly endearing protagonist. His actions in the last two hours really flesh him out, and helps to create a more subtle, more human hero than we're used to in videogames.

whatamireading2.png

05620x.jpg

Drakron

Arcane
commie said:
"new power received, now all of a sudden every 5 metres you will have to use it to go on"

You are full of crap, the only "power" you need to bypass some areas is Stasis that you start up with, it seems you are confusing Dead Space with BioShock.

Dead Space did some good things, the game starts to fall apart because at one point you get so much ammo (unlike at start were conservation was required) it no longer matters.

Also the only difference with System Shock is that System Shock was not a corridor shooter but the rest ... pretty similar.

As for Dead Space 2 ... its about the same with same enemies, same weapons (some changed so they were not useless), same "horror" but I think the atmosphere is a bit better as its varied now, still relies a lot on the "Monster jumping" as a scare tactic.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
made said:
Bro I'm confused. Aren't you that guy who acts all smug about enjoying shit modern RPGs for what they are?

Anyway, does your last-gen System Shock let me RIP OFF ALIENS LIMBS WITH A PLASMA CUTTER? No? Thought so!

No, I'm the guy that acts all smug playing modern overlooked RPG gems, that the average drooling codexer overloks in his pathetic bid to maintain the hive rage. :smug:

Plasma cutter is all well and good and I'd say the zero-g bits were also fine, but the rest of the game is so uninspired and derivative that I ended up grindan in God mode through it at the half way mark just to see it through the end.

Drakron said:
commie said:
"new power received, now all of a sudden every 5 metres you will have to use it to go on"

You are full of crap, the only "power" you need to bypass some areas is Stasis that you start up with, it seems you are confusing Dead Space with BioShock.

Bullshit. You don't get Statis straight away, you get it immediately before you need it. When you get them, all of a sudden you start seeing floor bridges and cranes that you need to push/pull :roll: You need the 'kinesis' power as well, immediately after you get it in yet another example of generic and lazy game design.

I compare it to System Shock, because it tries the same 'last(almost) man alive on a spaceship overrun by horrors' thing, and in such a comparison it fails miserably in every respect apart from zero-g bits.

commie said:
Bullshit. You don't get Statis straight away, you get it immediately before you need it.

Yeah, in the very first chapter. And you get kinesis in the very first steps of chapter 2. I don't see what's so bad about that.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Multidirectional said:
commie said:
Bullshit. You don't get Statis straight away, you get it immediately before you need it.

Yeah, in the very first chapter. And you get kinesis in the very first steps of chapter 2. I don't see what's so bad about that.

Err, the fact that immediately after you get the powers all of a sudden you keep coming across shit that you cannot bypass without using them? The words 'shitty, forced, gimmick' not mean anything? Any 'power' should be either optionally needed for particular play style as in DX or SS, or be needed to use in a more creative way as in Jedi Knight. Having a door that closes too fast right next to the thing that gives you a power to slow it down is about the most pathetic thing that can be designed and essentially makes the power redundant as a gameplay enhancing element.

commie said:
Err, the fact that immediately after you get the powers all of a sudden you keep coming across shit that you cannot bypass without using them?

This game is far from the first to do that kind of stuff. I guess I'm just used to this.
It's not an action RPG that lets you choose different approaches to objectives. And powers you get can be used not only to bypass obstacles. Stasis can be used to slow down enemies and kinesis to throw explosive shit at them. It may not enhance gameplay by much, but it doesn't make them entirely redundant either.
Now, criticizing a game for not being something it never tried to be is what is really redundant IMO. Dead Space is a TPS with survival elements that is very similar to Resident Evil 4 and 5. And similar to these games the only freedom it provides regarding play styles is the choice of which weapons to upgrade. I understand how you could desire for more, but it's just fine by me.

Drakron

Arcane
The criticism about that is pretty idiotic since we get Stasis in Tram Control Room, Kinesis its gain after we used the tram when we reach the Medical Section.

There are 12 chapters, first one is more of a tutorial that anything, in fact we dont even start with a weapon, we only get the Plasma Cutter later and a bit before we get Stasis, so for ELEVEN CHAPTERS we have access to both Stais and Kinesis.

His complain seems to be "well its not DeusEx/System Shock" that kinda retarded as they never mentioned those games, unlike BioShock that was the "spiritual successor" to System Shock, I might as well complain that Dead Space is no Silent Hill.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's pretty epic, but then I have a weakness for "junk future sci-fi," if that's a term. The game presents a world very well, better than the original (which was already pretty good at it).

Gameplay is pretty much identical functionally... the story and goals are presented better.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
commie said:
Bullshit. You don't get Statis straight away, you get it immediately before you need it. When you get them, all of a sudden you start seeing floor bridges and cranes that you need to push/pull :roll: You need the 'kinesis' power as well, immediately after you get it in yet another example of generic and lazy game design.
That's pretty much the way it works in every single action-adventure game there is, of which survival horror is a sub-genre. The fuck are you complaining about?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom