Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

OOOUGH IM SO PUMPED FOR DEAD_SPACE_2-FLT BROS

SoupNazi

I heard that this one actually has bearable controls, so I might try it out. I'd say it's comparable to Doom3 in the way you enjoyed it (I also liked Doom3 for the same reasons), and I'd say the atmosphere is better in Dead Space. The level design is, however, much more obviously corridor-y, possibly because you can't jump in DS. On the other hand, the gimmicks like Zero-G jumping etc. make it more interesting than Doom3.

Also, commie, sorry bro but wow you are dumb in this topic. Arguing for the sake of arguing and being edgy and all. Ever since you pussied out of that Cleve fight topic, you've been acting like an idiot.

zeitgeist

Magister
piydek said:
I haven't played the first dead space yet. I'd like you to help me determine if it's worth playing for me bros. I have to say that despite all the criticism i really enjoyed my playthrough oF Doom3. I played it always late at night, with headphones on. Yeah, i know it relied on cheap scare tactics, but some use of sound was really nice and level design was OK enough for me. I liked it. Now, if Dead space can provide anything similar, I'd consider it more than worth playing. Is it better/worse/comparable to Doom3?
I thought it was an order of magnitude better than Doom3. Just don't expect a spiritual successor to System Shock or anything of the sort.

Twinkle said:
Yes and yes. The original System Shock had pretty unique difficulty system. It was divided into combat difficulty, puzzle difficulty, cyber difficulty and mission difficulty. You could turn it into a straight shooter by maxing out combat and setting puzzles to zero. And vice versa. It can be a real first person adventure if you wish it to be.

zeitgeist

Magister
Jaesun said:
Is DS2 still enter room, get ambushed. Repeat 1000 times?
Haven't had the chance to play it much yet, but so far it's really similar to the first one. Jump scares, spring loaded corpses, etc. Perhaps with a bit more monsters/action.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
pocahaunted said:
is the plot even remotely interesting?

It's much more about atmosphere, the plot is sort of a rambling double-cross plotline. If you like being immersed in a shadowy sci-fi junk world though you should be thrilled, it does that amazingly well.

torpid

Liturgist
DalekFlay said:
pocahaunted said:

It's much more about atmosphere, the plot is sort of a rambling double-cross plotline. If you like being immersed in a shadowy sci-fi junk world though you should be thrilled, it does that amazingly well.

Double-crossing? So they recycled the first game's plot, too?

Also, how are the monsters? A mix of old and new, or all new?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
torpid said:
DalekFlay said:
pocahaunted said:

Double-crossing? So they recycled the first game's plot, too?

Also, how are the monsters? A mix of old and new, or all new?

Yeah, the ending of the first game happens again in this game, only at about 1/3rd of the way through. I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen a third time at the end, but I am not quite done yet.

I am on chapter 10 of 14 and there have been quite a few good new monsters. Nothing super innovative, but fun stuff... there are spitters which cover you in vomit that prevents you from running. There are little crawling dudes that blow up if they get near you. The best ones are these new dog-style things that hunt you, hiding behind things and in shadows until you turn your back, then they rush you really fast. Fighting those is annoying, yet fun, if you get what I mean. There are also some new boss monsters of course.

The best addition to the game by far is the anti-gravity movement, which is free and open this time. It's just really fun to fly around and when combat or other challenges pop up during that time it can be crazy fun. Mouse and keyboard controls are perfect during these scenes, and in general.

It's a great game if you like this style of game, no question.

DalekFlay, are there more boss fights in this? That's what I really wished for. I will check this out of course but I only started downloading just now and it's whole 20 minutes of waiting.. :x

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I stapled my eyes open, made a litre of coffee, have my cock in one hand, the mouse in the other, my tongue on the WASD keys....

LETS GET READY TO RUUUUUUMMMBBBBBBBLLLLLEEEEE!!!!!!!

zeitgeist

Magister
Multidirectional said:
DalekFlay, are there more boss fights in this? That's what I really wished for. I will check this out of course but I only started downloading just now and it's whole 20 minutes of waiting.. :x
Played a bit more now, and there seems to be more miniboss fights, scripted events, combat "set pieces" and generally features of that sort. Maybe it slows down after a while, can't tell yet.

Drakron

Arcane
Issac definitely talks more.

Also there is more Marker talking and who said the ending had a doublecross ... well, "kinda" if you think the Marker was being helpful at the end (serious, we could see that a mile away).

And I laughed at the end, if you recall the ending of the first one you understand why.

(Note: not playing ... YouTubing it)

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
For those who've played, is the weapon system the same (i.e. you can only carry 4 out of a total of 7 or so)?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom