Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play...Call of Cthulhu: Shadow Of The Comet (Complete)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Since there has been some talk in the Codex about Cthulhu themed video games, I decided to make a Let's Play for Shadow Of The Comet, an old adventure game by microprose infogrames, that actually manages to capture the Lovecraftian feeling. I'm using the CD version because apart from a decent speech, it also has mouse support. This game has awesome atmosphere, a well written story and will always have a warm place in my heart. Unfortunately you can't hear the excellent music and sound effects in this LP.

The game plays fine with DOSBOX and the combination of ddraw output and hq3x scaler gives the game next gen graphix ! (you can't see them though , because the screenshots are taken without scalers). Have in mind that in order to install the game cd with dosbox, you must add the "-label SHADOWCD" in the end of the mount cdrom autoexec line. (ex: mount d C:\Emulation\DOS\CD -t cdrom -label SHADOWCD)

Expect my narrative to switch from third person to first person for no particular reason.

Since IMAGESUCK has put codex on the black list, in order to see the images do this : LINK

Game box pic to increase nostalgia:
shadowboxfront.jpg

===================================================
CONTENTS:

CHAPTER 1 : INTRODUCTION
CHAPTER 2 : THE CHARMING TOWN OF ILLSMOUTH
CHAPTER 3 : LOVELY MISS GLORIA AND OTHER STORIES
CHAPTER 4 : UNCOVERING THE PAST
CHAPTER 5 : THE SIGN OF THE CROSS
CHAPTER 6 : TRUST IS A FICKLE MISTRESS
CHAPTER 7 : TRIAL BY FIRE
CHAPTER 8 : NO REST FOR THE WICKED
CHAPTER 9 : DIARY OF A MADMAN
CHAPTER 10 : FLIGHT OF ICARUS
CHAPTER 11 : DREAMS FROM THE PAST
CHAPTER 12 : FAMILY MATTERS
CHAPTER 13 : THE HANGED MAN'S SMILE
CHAPTER 14 : AN EYE FOR AN EYE
CHAPTER 15 : THE LONG GOODBYE - Part I : The one who sleeps in the depths
CHAPTER 15 : THE LONG GOODBYE - Part II : What do you know of... Cthulhu?
EPILOGUE

CHAPTER 1 : INTRODUCTION

Creepy light tower...
shadow000.jpg

Someone's running towards the beach.
shadow001.jpg

shadow002.jpg

He collapses.
shadow003.jpg

Same man, sometime later. Batshit crazy.
shadow004.jpg

shadow005.jpg

shadow006.jpg

The man snaps and goes into a frenzy...
shadow007.jpg

shadow008.jpg

Several years later...

London 1910, British Scientific News:
shadow009.jpg

shadow010.jpg

So, Boleskine must have been the man in the asylum. It seems that he went to Illsmouth in 1834 to cover the passing of the Halley comet.

Meet reporter John Parker, one of Britain's finest:
shadow011.jpg

shadow012.jpg

shadowjohnparker.jpg
You'll have solid proof, Mr Griffith. I'll go to Illsmouth and I'll find the exact place where Boleskine made his sketches.

shadowgriffith.jpg
Well, I'm willing to take a chance. I just hope this is worth it.

shadow013.jpg

shadowgriffith.jpg
Bring me a good story and be careful.

shadowjohnparker.jpg
From what I hear Illsmouth is a quiet little town. I'm sure whatever happened there in 1834, has scientific explanation.

Yes, Illsmouth is just a lovely little town, isn't it?

shadow016.jpg

shadow017.jpg

shadow018.jpg

shadow019.jpg

shadow020.jpg

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Apart from the atmosphere and story this game has one more feature that stands out:

FUCKING FRUSTRATING DIFFICULTY.

I really *tried* to finish this without a walkthrough, but somewhere in the middle of the game I just gave up and was constantly checking one for hints.

I can't imagine, for example, escaping the maze without a walkthrough.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
You know this time around while making the LP I notice a lot of info that otherwise I probably wouldn't. The last time I played this I probably used a walkthrough, but I'll try not to use one this time.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
And don't worry about being able to finish it.

Just show us what a strange experience it feels like to play this game.

Chateaubryan

Cipher
This is gonna be good.

I gave up on that game at the middle or something. Best thing was that I was stuck, stuck even with a walktrough. With a walktrough ! It felt very weird. I lost some sleep over it. Just because I was stuck. I had this strange feeling all along. All because I was stuck.

Stuck. Stuck ! STUCK ! YA ! YA !

Oh my god, it's happening again. I...CTHULU FTAGHN ! PH'NGLUI MGLW'NAFH CTHULU R'LYEH WGAH'NAGL FTAGHN ! CTHULU FTAGHN ! PH'NGLUI MGLW'NAFH CTHULU R'LYEH WGAH'NAGL FTAGHN !

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I also remember encountering a neat gamebreaking bug that made me have to restart the game...

The moment you are allowed to enter the library holding the necronomicon, you have to read it and put it in its place, because leaving the library with it kills you. Somehow, I managed to take it and leave the library with it in my inventory, and later I couldn't leave the next room, because any exit I'd use would kill me.

good fun.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
TIP: Don't try to load a game while you are in the saving menu...both menus look alike and when you click an already saved game the game automatically overwrites it.:(

Thankfully I had completed this update before having to start the game from the beginning.

CHAPTER 2: THE CHARMING TOWN OF ILLSMOUTH

Illsmouth, New England, USA.
shadow021.jpg

We arrive at the town's port after a long and tiring trip. It seems there is a welcoming committee waiting for us:
shadow022.jpg

shadowjohnparker.jpg
Doctor Cobble? Delighted to make your acquaintance.

shadow023.jpg

shadow024.jpg

(I love how the faces are so sinister and detailed in this game.)

shadowjohnparker.jpg
Thank you, Sir. I'm very glad to meet you.

shadowdrcobble.jpg
There's no time to lose, Mr. Parker. We'd Best be on our way. Your luggage has arrived and there is a telegram for you. It's all in your room.

As soon as the carriage arrives to the Doctor's house, the mayor wants to have a chit-chat.

shadowmayorarlington.jpg
Doctor Cobble tells me you're interested in stars?

Our first conversation choices !
I don't think it matters what I choose here, but in later conversations what you say matters. You'll not want to anger people, or speak too much of your intentions to the wrong guy.
shadow026.jpg

shadowmayorarlington.jpg
How fascinating it must be!

shadowjohnparker.jpg
Indeed, a most exhilarating pursuit.

shadowmayorarlington.jpg
And you came to Illsmouth to...

shadowjohnparker.jpg
Hmm... How can I explain... Sometimes, you see, scientists, like the excellent doctor Cobble...

shadow027.jpg

shadow028.jpg

shadowmayorarlington.jpg
...won't wait! Just like the worthy citizens of my little town. Have a wonderful visit Mr. Parker!

shadow029.jpg

What a warm welcome! So we are finally shown to our room. Let's see if our luggage has arrived intact. We have a camera, a lantern, a map of the area and...
shadow030.jpg

We also have a very nice diary:
shadow031.jpg

When there are some important items close by, a line appears from your eyes towards the item. This however happens only with certain items, so in order to find everything you should look everywhere for items, hints and descriptions.
shadow032.jpg

We've actually found Boleskine's diary! I seems he also stayed in this same room. Coincidence? He speaks about going into the woods with the help of a 12 year old child. He says he observed new constellations in the sky and he named them Octopus and Stalker. His last entry was that he was about to go back to the same spot and watch Halley's passing...
shadow033.jpg

Let's have a look at the telegram:
shadow034.jpg

Great. So now we have to get some photosensitive plates for our camera and also try to find some info about that boy.

The last noteworthy thing in the room is this:
shadow045.jpg

Let's take a look around the house. Hmm, locked.
shadow035.jpg

Apart from the fact that Dr. Cobble seems to have good taste in art and literature, we also find out that he has a surgeon's degree.
shadow036.jpg

Time to go outside. To the left lies the forest, but it's not wise to go there at this point. I think now it would be a good idea to take a walk around the town.
shadow037.jpg

We're going east and we find a locked house...
shadow038.jpg

...The house of one Tyler, N.
shadow039.jpg

...A well...
shadow040.jpg

...And finally Mr. Tyler's...em... ranch?
shadow041.jpg

shadowjohnparker.jpg
Hey guys, I was just sightseeing. Is that a lighthouse I see in the distan-

shadow042.jpg

Mr. Tyler doesn't like people hanging around his ranch...
shadow043.jpg

shadow044.jpg

What? The name's PARKER! The damn redneck funeral office didn't even get my name right...

Did I mention I was playing ironman?

Pliskin

Arbiter
Is it just me, or does Dr. Cobble bare a striking resemblence to Vincent Price?

I believe you should delve into this curious business further, Mr. Parker, at your earliest convenience.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Hey, they buried a man named Carter, maybe Parker is still alive... saved by the typo demon...

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Gragt said:
It's from Infogrames, not Microprose.
You know somehow I was convinced I was playing a microprose game, even though I remembered the rat logo. I was even writing stuff for the LP like "...you never know when you'll need this in a microprose adventure....". Maybe it's because I was playing Rex Nebular a while back.

WalterKinde

Scholar
Also while i am not up to date on my Lovecraft Mythos i have read enough of the stories to know that the name of the town should be Innsmouth as in "the Shadow over Innsmouth" was it some Corpyright issue that had them change the name to Illsmouth?

Psycroptic

Liturgist
To be authentic the game should have a point where you read a letter or journal which then becomes a subgame where you must play out the plot of the message as a different character. And while you're doing that you find another letter in the subgame and must finish a sub-sub-game before being able to go on.

Vibalist

Arcane
Psycroptic said:
To be authentic the game should have a point where you read a letter or journal which then becomes a subgame where you must play out the plot of the message as a different character. And while you're doing that you find another letter in the subgame and must finish a sub-sub-game before being able to go on.

Or maybe it should just add lockpicking minigames.

Radisshu

Prophet
Brilliant.

Though it's pretty strange that they felt the need to chaneg Innsmouth to Illsmouth, when they didn't change Cthulhu to Chulthu or something.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Time to return to the adventures of the English reporter with the misspelled name! What do you know, he is still alive!

CHAPTER 3 : LOVELY MISS GLORIA AND OTHER STORIES.

Ok John Carter,...er... Parker didn't actually die, the last 3 pics were from a prophetic vision that warned us not to mess with Tyler's lighthouse ranch, yet. So, we decided to go a bit south and we found the graveyard. Who's that stunning gal?
shadow046.jpg

shadowjohnparker.jpg
Forgive me for bothering you , Miss...

shadow047.jpg

I get a Melanie Griffith vibe from her.

shadow048.jpg

Hmm... how should we approach this? Should we make a move on her, or not? Choices and Consequences ! Trying to flirt with her at this point is not a good idea, since she'll get mad and leave. The information she'll give us right now is not that important, but it's wiser not to anger her. So we'll behave like gentlemen.
shadow049.jpg

shadowgloria.jpg
Very well, thank you.

shadowjohnparker.jpg
Miss Tilton, I am a desperate man! I really must find some photosensitive plates.

shadowgloria.jpg
You take photographs? Why, that's wonderful! I'll show you to Myer's, he's bound to have what you need. He sells everything

shadowjohnparker.jpg
Really! Well, I'll be very glad of your most agreeable company.

shadowgloria.jpg
Please, Mr. Parker, call me Gloria.

So, being a gentleman pays off !

shadow050.jpg

shadowgloria.jpg
I have to go, my aunt's waiting for me.

These damn aunts are always in the way when you try to score. Anyway, let's go inside the store. Who is that shady guy with the monk outfit?
shadow051.jpg

This Hambleton guy is still inside the store, eavesdropping perhaps?

shadowjohnparker.jpg
I'd like some photosensitive plates, please.

shadow053.jpg

shadowjohnparker.jpg
I'll take them.

shadowmayer.jpg
My advice to you is to try them first... I've had them for quite a while, so they aren't exactly brand new. What is it you're wanting to photograph?

Better not say anything about stars yet...
shadow055.jpg

shadowmayer.jpg
Tell you what, if those plates aren't perfect I'll give you your money back, if they are ok then you can come back and buy some more!

shadowjohnparker.jpg
Thanks, I'll take your advice and check them as soon as possible

As soon as we finished the conversation, the shady guy left the store. I'm sure we'll meet him again. Looking around the store Parker noted that there is a weeping St. Christiane medallion for sale. Let's make a mental note of this, you never know when you may need a weeping saint medallion in an infogrames adventure. Time to leave the store.

To the north lies the town square and what do you know , we find Gloria and her aunt there. We'd better try to make a good impression to her.
shadow056.jpg

shadow057.jpg

shadowjohnparker.jpg
Do forgive me Miss Picott. I'm not from these parts. The name's Parker.

Let's be polite here.
shadow058.jpg

shadowmisspicott.jpg
I'm so glad to be able to help. I think you'll have to try the town hall.

Ok let's head to the town hall... Hey, is that the Mayor? I wonder where he's going. I'll follow him.
shadow059.jpg

shadow060.jpg

shadow061.jpg

shadow062.jpg

shadow063.jpg

Maybe we are being paranoid here... I mean the Mayor, if that was the mayor, could be visiting a friend, or his mistress. It's not always an evil conspiracy. On the other hand this is a game called "Call of Cthulhu" so my money are on the evil-conspiracy-tentacle thing. Well, I guess we'll find out later...

...and by later I mean one of the next updates, stay tuned !

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom