Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play...Call of Cthulhu: Shadow Of The Comet (Complete)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Welcome back faithful followers! Yes, you've guessed it, the time has come. It's time to have our...

MID-SEASON RECAP EPISODE!

shadowbrucecampbell.jpg
What? I fucking hate recaps. They are for retarded , brain-dead , illiterate faggots that can't read a goddamn summary. And they are made only because the developers want to delay the next real episode. Don't tell me you've got gamers-block? Cut the crap, or I'll cut you in half with my chainsaw arm.

shadownarrator.jpg
Bruce? Bruce Campbell? Erm... what are you doing here?

shadowbrucecampbell.jpg
I've been killing these chtulhu deadites, or whatever they call themselves, for centuries. You touched the necronomicon, and the ancient powers called me here. But I'm not gonna help a filthy recap-episode maker!

shadownarrator.jpg
O-kay ... maybe I could just do a ... summary? BTW, I love your movies! You are a great actor, Bruce :)

shadowbrucecampbell.jpg
That was not acting you MORON, it was REAL! So stop your ass-kissing and get on with that summary... NOW !

Previously on Call of Chtulhu Shadow Of The Comet:

- John Parker goes to Illsmouth to investigate what happened to Lord Boleskine 80 years ago, when he was there covering the passing of the Halley Comet.
- He has learned that there is a cult in the town that wants to open a portal to another dimention, so that THE OLD ONES can return and reign over the earth. During the time of the passing of the Comet, the invocations can be successful.
- Some of Illsmouth inhabitants have already made horrific deals and unholy unions with these ancient gods. Deals that have given them ghastly powers and even immortality.
- It's up to Parker to try and stop the cultists, but they know of his intentions and they will try to destroy him with every opportunity they get.
- Will Parker prevail, or will he be another victim, offered as a sacrifice to the fearsome god, Cthulhu ?

CHAPTER 10: FLIGHT OF ICARUS

Last time we read the diary that revealed part of Illsmouth's secret. We also found a case of cigars. I think after all this exposure, a Cuban cigar is just what we need... Let's open the case:
shadow239.jpg

Mmm? Let's see what this is...
shadow240.jpg

So, this is where Hambleton gets his evil-monk outfit. It comes straight form the Bostonian Cthulhu-wear for evil gentlemen.
shadow242.jpg

Outside the inn you can find our good friend Mr. Coldstone. He'll make a move on you. If your homosexual urges prevail over your common sense and you follow him to his house, you know how this will end...
shadow243.jpg

shadow244.jpg

:SEX AND DEATH:
(Poor Carter...)

So, we'll decline his offer and move on... Mr. Bishop wants a word. I hope all these new "friends" will eventually offer something more than just encouraging words...
shadow245.jpg

Now we that we have the outfit, how about wearing it and try to impersonate Hambleton? Let's change clothes behind that well...(Parker is a shy guy)
shadow246.jpg

shadow248.jpg

"Grumph" is a fine answer... It's an answer to everything... it's the definite answer. So, we'll just say "Grumph" because otherwise they'll be on to us and Carter will go spend time with the worms again.
shadow249.jpg

shadow250.jpg

And we're finally at the lighthouse!
shadow251.jpg

The door is locked, but remember that rope ladder we picked up? Now is the time to use it.
shadow253.jpg

shadow254.jpg

Ok so we got on top of the lighthouse... Now what? Crap, there's nothing here, what the hell is so special about this stupid lighthouse?
Wait, I can hear someone talking...
shadow255.jpg

fuck Fuck FUCK !!!
shadow256.jpg

We're screwed. We're stranded on top of a light tower and the blood-thirsty cultists are trying to break down the door and get to us. I think it's time again, to mourn the Carter fellow and reload...

shadowbrucecampbell.jpg
Stop being such a goddamn pussy! You can get out of this.

shadownarrator.jpg
O-RLY? And how will I do that?

shadowbrucecampbell.jpg
Let me think. If you had a chainsaw you could cut the door down and slaughter them. But you don't even have a simple weapon, not even a goddamn wrench! What kind of game is this? How can you not even have a common WRENCH ?!!

shadownarrator.jpg
This is an old adventure game. HL wasn't yet published at the time.

shadowbrucecampbell.jpg
Hmmph. I should have guessed it belonged to such an archaic genre, everything here screams of "last gen"... Anyway since we have no weapons, we'll have to do this the old fashioned way.

shadownarrator.jpg
The "old fashioned" way?

shadowbrucecampbell.jpg
Yeah, we'll get past this no-win situation by solving a completely irrational puzzle. Aha! it's obvious to me now... you'll have to FLY AWAY !!

shadownarrator.jpg
FLY AWAY ???

shadowbrucecampbell.jpg
FLY AWAY !!!!!!!

shadownarrator.jpg
FLY A-... ok this is ridiculous, even for an Evil Dead film.

shadowbrucecampbell.jpg
Haven't you heard of Daedalus and Icarus ? They made wings, they glued them on with wax and they flew to the skies !

shadownarrator.jpg
But... this is just a myth ! And there's no way I could make wings !

shadowbrucecampbell.jpg
Myths always have fragments of truth, my boy. You should know that by now.

shadownarrator.jpg
But how-

shadowbrucecampbell.jpg
SHUT UP ! Just take the wings behind the solar clock and use the candle of the light tower for wax, OK ?

shadownarrator.jpg
I don't believe this shit...

shadow257.jpg

shadow258.jpg

If you try and use the wings without applying the wax you'll crash and die. So, WAX ON - WAX OFF Daniel-san.
shadow259.jpg

shadow260.jpg

GERONIMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!
shadow261.jpg

Thankfully, we land on the gypsy camp.
shadow262.jpg

shadow263.jpg

shadow265.jpg

Shadows that speak? Other worlds? I am so tired... Just let me rest my head on your bosom for a little while, fair gypsy queen... Mmmmm yes, that's it...
shadow266.jpg

shadow267.jpg

The good thing is that we found some allies. And that these allies have Bosoms.
The bad thing is that they're good-for-nothing, chicken-thieving gypsies.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Did you try to change next to the doctor in his house, or near other people for that matter? You get a funny response.

I remember I used to replay the movie where Parker crashed if he used the normal wings. That was hilarious.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Gragt said:
Did you try to change next to the doctor in his house, other people for that matter? You get a funny response..
I must have missed that. I tried to change in town IIRC, but I think it was a standard "I can't change here!" response.

Gragt said:
I remember I used to replay the movie where Parker crashed if he used the normal wings. That was hilarious.
It wasn't the same as the normal landing, with the exception of parker landing on his head?

I love the fact that you can die in dozens of different ways in this game. Wait till the next update where we get to the underground temple-maze. It's a slaughter.

Guillaume777

Novice
If you like Shadow of the Comet and don't mind text games, I highly suggest you go play Anchorhead.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
(Poor Carter...)

Y'know, it's good that Parker carries this Carter guy (guys?) around to assess all the potentially dangerous situations.

ghostdog said:
Wait till the next update where we get to the underground temple-maze. It's a slaughter.

I still get shivers everytime I hear about this place...

Wyrmlord

Arcane
shadow267.jpg

Yeah, this is something which puzzles me.

The game has rather crude pixelated graphics.

But the shading of the forest still shows some remarkable detail.

One could say that the makers of the game were artistically brilliant, but actually, seeing the close-up animations, their drawings are still quite crude.

So I reckon that all these background images are based on pictures taken of some real location. They have to be.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
What puzzled me is this pic:

shadow261.jpg

Could this be 3-d rendering? Or did they actually built the whole place on a small scale model and took photos ?

Turok

Erudite
Wyrmlord said:
shadow267.jpg

Yeah, this is something which puzzles me.

The game has rather crude pixelated graphics.

But the shading of the forest still shows some remarkable detail.

One could say that the makers of the game were artistically brilliant, but actually, seeing the close-up animations, their drawings are still quite crude.

So I reckon that all these background images are based on pictures taken of some real location. They have to be.

There are Bears gipsys? Thats a guy with a cosplay stuff or a real bear?

Seboss

Liturgist
Slenkar said:
it looks like the scenery is real and the buildings are hand-drawn, their perspective looks out of whack.
Looks like they wanted to achieve some fish eye effect but miserably failed.
The game is awesome, but this particular scene is a total :facepalm:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Turok said:
There are Bears gipsys? Thats a guy with a cosplay stuff or a real bear?

Wyrmlord said:
That bear is a performing bear that the gypsies have brought for the show. They would probably make it dance and shake hands with people.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
You know, Lovecraft's fine fine book At The Mountain's Of Madness, starts off by telling the details of an expedition to the Antarctic, and yet the expedition is cut short by tragic incident after a strong polar wing, and it ends within the first 30 pages.

The next 80 pages are a reflection on everything that happened in the expedition, demonstrate all the bizzare things about it, and show what really went wrong with it; things that the characters blocked out of their mind completely because they did not even want to consider the implications of it.

Lovecraft is badass.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Parker took one last look at his broken wings and then turned his gaze to the skies. He experienced for brief moments, what it is to fly... and what it is to crash on your face falling down from the sky... And decided that he never wants go through this shit again.

CHAPTER 11 : DREAMS FROM THE PAST

In the last episode the gypsy woman offered to help us with her mystic powers. It seems she can talk with spirits and take glimpses of other worlds. I don't know if Parker's heart can handle any more excitements. Let's find out! Gypsy woman, do your voodoo...

shadow268.jpg

shadow269.jpg

And the dream begins...

shadow270.jpg

shadow271.jpg

"Now you must destroy the curse of Chtulhu. Long ago, when
Illsmouth had no name, a temple stood beside the shore.
A sorcerer perpetrated barbarous sacrifices in the name of
the Great Ancients.

The Great Ancients take pleasure in our suffering. They
have not forgotten the splendor they once knew! If you do
not act in two nights, when the comet passes, then the
world will once more be enslaved to these loathsome gods."

shadow273.jpg

shadow274.jpg

"One day, the ancient city toppled to the bottom of the ocean.
But only thoughtless fools imagine the curse has been lifted
for eternity ! Of that accursed city, only a stone circle
remains. There, the surviving members of the cult meet for
their hideous rituals.

The Great Ancients impatiently await for the day when they
will recover their lost kingdom."

shadow275x.jpg

shadow276.jpg

"Now you must go to where JONAS rests for all eternity..."

shadow277.jpg

Before, we leave let's play a bit with the bear. Maybe I'll get Carter killed one more time for your sadistic amusement... It seems strangely intelligent... Let's try to teach him our favorite word!

- Bear, say "GRUMPH" !

shadow278.jpg

-Good boy !

Enough with games, the time is getting late and we still haven't found Jonas's resting place. Let's return to the town and see what info we can get. Also, let's take this rotten fish from the dumpster, because carrying around rotten fish is an awesome idea.
shadow279.jpg

Outside the pharmacy we find Bishop. It seems we was looking for us. (Check the new look of Parker's face, the events have taken a toll on his state of mind...)
shadow280.jpg

shadow281.jpg

shadowthomasbishop.jpg
Good evening. Have you heard the news?

shadowangryparker.jpg
I'm afraid so, yes.

shadowthomasbishop.jpg
Dr. Cobble says it was suicide. But I think he's saying that, to keep everyone calm. I don't believe it.

shadowangryparker.jpg
You're quite right... Jugg was killed.

shadowthomasbishop.jpg
I was sure of it. I saw Obed Hambleton sneaking around his house. You be careful, Mr. Parker. Oh, by the way. Maybe you'd care to visit your friend's grave. Here's the cemetery key.

shadowangryparker.jpg
They buried him already? ... Thank you, I'll go and pay my respects.

Entering spooky cemeteries at night is nothing compared to what we'll be doing later... Let's find Tobias's grave.
shadow282.jpg

shadow283.jpg

There is a big mausoleum here. Something tells me we should check it out, but first it would be wise to pick up the bar and piece of rope that are lying around.
shadow284.jpg

Sinister looking. The door is barred, but luckily we also have a bar. And our bar is stronger than the other bars!
shadow285.jpg

Great, let's go through. Hmmm, It's very dark... I can't see a thiiiiiaaaaaaaaAAAAAAH !!!
shadow286.jpg

Welcome to the Temple-Maze of the Ancients ! A place that's one big Death Trap.
Here you can die with all the imaginable ways an ancient-tomb robber can and should, die:

Eaten by huge bats.
shadow287.jpg

Deadly spikes !
shadow288.jpg

Bitten by poisonous spiders.
shadow289.jpg

Raped and killed by tentacles.
shadow290.jpg

Fall into trap doors.
shadow291.jpg

Become the meal of mutated rats.
shadow292.jpg

Now that we've established how much fun this place is, let's go back and use the rope to descend.
shadow293.jpg

We find a door with two pedestals. All we have to do is avoid some bats and spikes and get hold of two skulls. Guess where we'll have to place these skulls...
shadow294.jpg

Then, we'll avoid some spiders, push a hidden ledge and open the next door.
shadow295.jpg

Disco-floor-puzzle ! I just walked around pressing plates at random untill the door opened.
shadow296.jpg

Then we must use some statuettes to open another hidden door. If we go for the obvious solution here, we'll die. So, we'll do the not-so-obvious solution and switch the statues... And a hidden door opens! I make it all sound very easy, don't I?
shadow297.jpg

After wandering a bit through the maze, we find the... advanced-disco-floor-puzzle ! This time I actually had to think this over. I had to take notes of what exactly each floor piece does and test combinations. Preposterous!
shadow298.jpg

Finally, I reached another puzzle-rigged door. Basically all we have to do, is walk three times around the structure. (duh)
shadow299.jpg

And we're inside Jonas Sanctum ! Uh-oh, this doesn't look good...
shadow300.jpg

shadow301.jpg

shadowangryparker.jpg
Listen carefully, Jonas. Your sleep will soon be eternal, do you hear me?

shadowjonas.jpg
Nghaeeth ft'hangh... Your blood will be mine... n'haeeeh !

shadowangryparker.jpg
It's all over for you Jonas. I'm going to destroy you and your filthy kind!

shadowjonas.jpg
Imbecile! You know nothing of my powers. Gaze upon me and implore your feeble god! MAY CTHULHU GRANT ME HIS AID !

These statues must be the ones that represent each cultist family! We should grab them quickly. Jonas is making some kind of invocation, so we better hurry. If we're too slow, then...
shadow302.jpg

shadow303.jpg

shadow307.jpg

Run , Parker, RUN !!!
shadow308.jpg

shadow309.jpg

shadow310.jpg

shadow311.jpg

A helping hand? Or a villain's hand, pushing Parker back down? I guess we'll find out in the next episode...

TO BE CONTINUED!

The wizard is stephen tyler and boleskine is marlon brando.

Nice update, this wouldnt make a bad movie, as long as the ridiculous parts were taken out like flying off of the lighthouse.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Gragt said:
You make the cemetery maze look much faster and easier than it actually is.
Hah, that's because I deleted about 200 screenshots of what took place in that maze. Especially that statue puzzle, that was misleading you on purpose, tested my patience. Not to mention trying to find my way out of the maze with that thing hunting me.

Slenkar said:
The wizard is stephen tyler
Nice find. I always suspected that he had made some kind of deal with the devil :lol:

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Surely the key to doing the maze is to simply pull out a piece of paper, and draw out the map, marking down every location that can kill you?

By the way, Jonas Hambleton on that throne...is he supposed to look like an old man badly aged to the point of looking like a near corpse, or is he supposed to like a transformed divine creature?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom