Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Fallout 3 'tries too hard', preview round-up

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout 3

Wired got their hands on Fallout. <a href="http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/07/hands-on-fallou.html">This is what they had to say</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Unfortunately, as my half an hour with the game a few moments ago demonstrated, all the external pieces are there, but the charm that made the series such a classic is almost entirely lacking.
<br>
<br>
The key problem with the game though is in the writing. It really feels like someone wrote a fanfic based on the Fallout universe and somehow got the funding to create a game based on it. Though the story and characters are suitably gritty and conflicted, none of them are terribly likeable and the entire thing simply feels like it's trying too hard to adhere to the tenets of its predecessors.
<br>
<br>
I predict a heavy backlash from long-time fans. At best Fallout 3 will be the blacksheep of the series: An oddity played only for completion's sake by those who absolutely adore the original games.
<br>
<br>
Luckily for Bethesda, the game will sell tons of copies to those gamers less in love with the series' past if only for its gorgeous graphics, entertaining gameplay and ridiculous levels of gore.</blockquote>
<br>
It will sell because it's purdy. So much for the discerning modern gamer. <a href="http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/20136">There's also another gameplay video up</a> showing hacking and the teddy bear launcher, only this time in HD. Thanks <b>f00bar</b>!
<br>
<br>
There's also previews up at <a href="http://www.destructoid.com/e3-08-fallout-3-hands-on-95691.phtml">Destructoid</a>, <a href="http://www.actiontrip.com/features/e32008fallout3.phtml">Action Trip</a>, <a href="http://news.bigdownload.com/2008/07/16/e3-03-hands-on-with-fallout-3/">Big Download Blog</a>, <a href="http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/2008/07/16/hands-on-fallout-3/">That Videogame Blog</a>, <a href="http://www.gamingnexus.com/FullNews/E3-2008-Fallout-3-hands-on/Item9323.aspx">Gaming Nexus</a>, <a href="http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/2042/Fallout-3/p1/">Team X-Box</a> and <a href="http://www.gamepro.com/sony/ps3/games/previews/202728.shtml">GamePro</a>. Your job is to read them all and have a summary on my desk by tomorrow morning.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com">NMA</a>

User was nabbed fit

Ah, so Wired isn't on Bethesda's cocksucking list. Good to know.

Shoelip

Arbiter
skyway said:
I was told that Wired doesn't know shit about how good FO3 is by one of the fanbois :(

Obviously, after all, all they've done is played it.

Mareus

Magister
I really hope there will be more and more articles like this. If only the media was doing their job I am sure gaming wouldn't be in such a sorry state as it is today.

Korgan

Arbiter
Well, yeah. This is fucking Wired. They have fucking Bruce Sterling blogging for them. They are still quite boring, but no-one can say that they are dumb.

yarpen

Novice
Wow, gotta love those comments, where people who didnt play the game try to prove guy who did, that he's wrong.
Also: "whatever. I am sure it will be a great game, I haven't seen a head explode well since RE4."

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Yup.

30 minutes, and you're already trying to write a review, condemning the game. You, sir, are a moron.

Yes, 30 minutes should only be reserved for praise.

Come back to us when you've played it from start to finish, or at least for a substantial period of time. I'd suggest we'll be way more interested in your sweeping statements then.

I hope you say this to every previewer then?

I find it incredibly hard to believe that you could rationally come to these conclusions after playing the game for only 30 minutes.

Wired is irrational!

But on to the post at hand...It's really stupid to try and write what is essentially a game review after touching the game for 30 minutes. And I was going to say a lot more, but nevermind. You are godawful at your job. That's really all I want to say.

How dare he assess what he played! HOW DARE HE? He should just describe the exploding heads in gory detail.

How anyone could think that a thirty minute glimpse of a game that is dozens of hours long can be indicative of the game's dialogue, story and tone is beyond me. But again, Fallout "fans" who wanted to hate this from the beginning will use whatever they can.

:sigh:

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
yarpen said:
Wow, gotta love those comments, where people who didnt play the game try to prove guy who did, that he's wrong.
Also: "whatever. I am sure it will be a great game, I haven't seen a head explode well since RE4."

Am I the only one who believes RE5 and FO3 are actually the same game?
sanstitrepr6.jpg

sanstitre2pv3.jpg

Shoelip

Arbiter
Ogg said:
yarpen said:

sanstitrepr6.jpg

sanstitre2pv3.jpg

Considering the apparent intelligence of most of the population, I'd say no.

Also, it's easy to tell them apart.

RE5 looks like it'll be a pretty cool action game, and the only enemy appears to be zombified Africans. FO3 looks like it'll be a horrible action game that failed at being an RPG and the primary enemy appears to be african americans who only have the intelligence of zombies. There are also Uruk Hai, robots, and Enclave guys wearing what appears to be Fallout Tactics style power armor... So I guess they're actually BoS.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You can't bash it if you haven't played it.

If you bashed it after you've played it you haven't played enough.

If you bashed it after completing it... it must've been good if you bothered to finish it so you're a whiner.

Isn't that what always happens?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
treave said:
You can't bash it if you haven't played it.

If you bashed it after you've played it you haven't played enough.

If you bashed it after completing it... it must've been good if you bothered to finish it so you're a whiner.

Isn't that what always happens?
So true.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Ogg said:

Yes, Resident evil 5 is in a whole nother leage and will be a GOTY contender for 09. Fallout 3 is a POS that'll be forgot about a month after release.

Shoelip

Arbiter
fizzelopeguss said:
Ogg said:

Yes, Resident evil 5 is in a whole nother leage and will be a GOTY contender for 09. Fallout 3 is a POS that'll be forgot about a month after release.

Well, aren't we optimistic. :lol:

How many layers of sarcasm can I put on a four word sentence? :lol:

MetalCraze

Arcane
I wonder if Beth will get sued if they will release a toolset and moddies will mod killable children into the game (and oh they so will).

Micmu

Magister
skyway said:
I wonder if Beth will get sued if they will release a toolset and moddies will mod killable children into the game (and oh they so will)
This is one of the many reasons why I think they will never release a toolset.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
30 minutes only? Yahtzee spent at least a couple of hours with The Witcher before declaring it sucks!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ViolentOpposition said:
Ah, so Wired isn't on Bethesda's cocksucking list. Good to know.

But I bet they will be on their blacklist and their website url will be censored by "I love Fallout 3"

Chefe

Erudite
Only that first preview was worth reading, all the others listed were the regular cocksucking crap we've come to expect by now from gaming journalists.

"Fallout 3 is great and like other Fallouts because it's a wasteland and you can choose to play in first or third person." What?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom