Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Fallout 3 'tries too hard', preview round-up

zioburosky13

Educated
People do read WIRED? :shock:

Lemunde

Scholar
Luckily for Bethesda, the game will sell tons of copies to those gamers less in love with the series' past if only for its gorgeous graphics, entertaining gameplay and ridiculous levels of gore.

Sorry to say I probably fall into this category. I never got far enough into the original games to be affected by dramatic changes in story and gameplay. However I won't be sold on graphics alone. If the gameplay sucks(aside from being different) I won't bother with it. At this point I'm more concerned about level scaling than whether or not it's a true sequel.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Gragt said:
30 minutes only? Yahtzee spent at least a couple of hours with The Witcher before declaring it sucks!
Yahtzee made a review. These are previews. The "journalists" only get 30 minutes play time. Enough time to get an impression.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Lemunde said:
At this point I'm more concerned about level scaling than whether or not it's a true sequel.
Does being able to kill two supermutants with a level 2 character sound like screwed up level scaling to you? It might just be they really did make supermuties into orcs (i.e. small fry), but that'd be equally stupid.

sqeecoo

Arcane
watched the gameplay video, the graphic are nice, the minigame is silly, the AI is really, really bad, and the teddy bear shooting is beyond retarded.

yarpen

Novice
Shannow said:
Gragt said:
30 minutes only? Yahtzee spent at least a couple of hours with The Witcher before declaring it sucks!
Yahtzee made a review. These are previews. The "journalists" only get 30 minutes play time. Enough time to get an impression.
Also, they didnt claim it sucked. They simply expressed some doubts and didnt claim it's "bigger than GTA, better than Gears of War" (it may very well be, I didnt play it).

Texas Red

Whiner
Yarpen, can you comment on Yahtsee's Witcher review? Address some of his criticism perhaps?

Pegultagol

Erudite
30 minute cannot be as fair an impression if what Todd and co thought best highlight some of the notable features of the game are presented to propel the hype train. But even in that nurturing promotional environment those that are not in the closed group of circle jerk (that French dude and Wired commentator) proceeded to sow the seed of doubts.

MetalCraze

Arcane
No it won't. We are fighting human stupidity here, captain. Even after 3 gameplay videos people still argue that FO3 does not have shooter mechanics.

SilasMalkav

Educated
So he enjoyed the game, but felt the writing was trying too hard? Fair enough. I doubt there are many game writers that could reproduce what the writers of Fallout did. Even Fallout 2 showed some signs of going this way. It's the way sequels go.

I wish someone would go into more detail concerning VATS.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
hartin5row.JPG

OH YEAH BABY, MORE AMMO!!!!

Murk

Arcane
the negative responses to that preview are beyond stupid. Regardless of what doubt the author had, the preview is still positive and a pat on the back to fallout 3, yet people are foaming at the mouth over this?

did anyone who even heard that bethesda is making fo3 think that it would be an actual successor to fallout 1/2 ? human stupidity indeed

MetalCraze

Arcane
"Fallout3 is a bad shooter?
Well Deus Ex is a bad shooter! It is very uncomfortable to move there and it is hard to constantly decide which enemy to shoot and with dialogues requiring decisions it would be even more harder!"

There is a fanboi on torrents.ru that wrote that. Seriously.

So does anybody still believe that Fallout3 won't be a massive major success with 50 GotY awards on the day of release and armies of fanboys protecting it as the most complex game ever?

Lemunde

Scholar
skyway said:
No it won't. We are fighting human stupidity here, captain. Even after 3 gameplay videos people still argue that FO3 does not have shooter mechanics.

Oddly enough, the shooter mechanics are what's selling me on this game.

J.E. Sawyer

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
Ogg said:
Am I the only one who believes RE5 and FO3 are actually the same game?
I didn't see that many black people in the FO3 previews.

Chefe

Erudite
We all saw the Fallout 3 previews.

Well, make that preview... singular. It was the same damn thing each time Todd showed it, along with the same exact "radiant" encounters.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
I, for one, cannot wait until the legions of Oblivion fanbois, the ones defending FO3, become pissed off at Bethesda for dumbing down Oblivion.

How can you dumb down Oblivion? Well, remember it's Bethesda! :)

Shoelip

Arbiter
Angler said:

Well, make that preview... singular. It was the same damn thing each time Todd showed it, along with the same exact "radiant" encounters.

Except that he did things slightly differently each time and ended up showing us different stuff.

Skyway, that so called fan boy is pretty obviously an impostor.

Chefe

Erudite
Shoelip said:
Angler said:

Except that he did things slightly differently each time and ended up showing us different stuff.

Oh right, I forgot he threw a grenade at that one chick instead of shooting her in one of the previews.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Angler said:
Shoelip said:
Angler said:

Oh right, I forgot he threw a grenade at that one chick instead of shooting her in one of the previews.

And in one preview he just shot his way through everything, while in another he showed us the hacking and lockpicking. In one preview he didn't show us the Rock-It launcher (and thus how stupid it was, and in others he did... Etc. None of it really made the game look any better but god damn it, if you start just imagining things are even shittier than they are you're no better than the retards you're ridiculing.

Chefe

Erudite
Give me a fucking break. It was the same damn area with the same damn encounters on the same damn path doing the same damn thing.

shoot run shoot shoot run shoot
shoot run shoot lockpick run shoot

Different. Right.

Shoelip

Arbiter
You don't deserve a break.

Congratulations, you've just written a technically accurate description of every single FPS in existence. In case you hadn't noticed, the differences in FPS are not whether or not you run and shoot, but the specifics.

Chefe

Erudite
Oh right I forgot to mention, once again, it was in the exact same area and the exact same path and featured the exact same encounters. What specifics? There were no specifics. He was playing in ultra god mode where everything exploded in one hit. The enemies didn't use tactis. He didn't use tactics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom